VOCA Employee Reviews

Administrative/Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2018
A typical day at work would be assisting Program Managers and Director of Programs with clerical/administrative duties, ensuring that programs had the required documents and materials for the residents, interacting with contractors and vendors.
Pros
Option of time to take my lunch break
Cons
N/a
Contract companies not verstile
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 3, 2018
The contract company this employer sent, me to, is not verstile and treat their employees like 'high school' students. It was like working at a 'saw mill'.
Pros
Earn money
Cons
Poor contract company
you have to be a really caring person
Habilitation Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHJune 25, 2018
This job was stressful but also very rewarding. Taking care of the client with all their needs. I learned a lot but mostly love for the ones that I took care of. Management some were really great some not. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the sick and watching them passing away. But I loved taking them out and about , to special Olympics , out to eat, to parks and so on.
Pros
You fall in love with your clients
Cons
Management, long hours
Good
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 12, 2018
Performing personal care tasks. Ensure client safety and maintaining a safe environment. Assisting with toileting. Reminding/assisting client with medications. Documenting services provided. Performing home management functions such as light housekeeping, laundry, and cleaning. Planning meals, preparing and serving food/meals, feeding and clean-up, Accompanying clients to appointments. Transporting clients.
Relaxed and welcoming
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 14, 2018
I enjoyed my tenure with Voca. They placed me in a position that utilized and strengthened my skills. If they offer me another position I will take it. It was my first time on contract with a company and they made it a smooth transition for me. Great people to work with.
Great Staffing Agency
LPN at Spectrum LTC on Fuller (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 6, 2018
I worked for Voca for 3 months as a staffing agency LPN. Unfortunately they did not have any other openings in my area when my contract ended, but the pay was excellent and I would definitely recommend them!
Great job.
GROUP HOME WORKER R.E.M. OF WEST VIRGINIA (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 5, 2018
One of the best jobs I had. Got along really well with staff. Management was okay. Flexible working hours. Was pretty laid back. They offer over time work.
Was comfortable but not challenging
Korean Interpreter (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 18, 2018
Was too small company to provide more job offers.
But was comfortable because didn't have to drive that much. Meeting and helping others was fun and fruitful.
Pros
Comfortable
Cons
No challenge
Great opportunities for a driven, self motivated individual
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 23, 2017
A typical day at work is very fast-paced. Bounce cold-calling, screening candidates, and preparing resumes for presentation to clients. Weeks go by fast.

Get compensated well to help people find jobs that pay competitive wages at huge companies everyone has heard of. Get paid based directly on how much work you put in. Build long term relationships with people all over the country.

Everyone should be a recruiter for a while. It's an eye opening experience that helps you develop marketing, sales, human resources, management, and other job skills.
Pros
Team lunches, 4PM parties on Fridays, very supportive team, endless opportunities to make extra money on evenings/weekends
Cons
Stressful, high pressure work with conflicting metrics, growing pains
Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 23, 2017
Voca is a great place to work. The environment is fast paced and fun. The employees are motivational and incredibly hard workers. Everyone works as a team with one goal in mind and it's very impressive to see people work so well together.

Want to know more about VOCA?

Ask a question
VOCA provided opportunity to have an important impact on the lives of the clients and an opportunity for advancement.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHOctober 5, 2017
I started out as a social worker at VOCA, and served the habilitation center and 4 group homes. Opportunities for advancement allowed me to become the Program Director at one of the group homes,and later a QMRP (qualified mental retardation professional) this allowed for even further opportunity to have an important impact on the lives of my clients.
Pros
opportunity to help
Productive/exciting/great place to work
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 6, 2017
I highly enjoyed working for this company, which is the reason why I stayed as long as I did. However, this agency had multiple healthcode violations and was forced to close its doors.
Pros
Always enjoyed serving our customers
Cons
Healthcode violations
explosive environement
Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2017
I worked with developmentally disabled adults who mostly came from public mental health institutions. Every day I encountered hostile attitudes and or situations with clientele, where I had to employ self defense tactics and or procedures sometimes alone, or with the help of my coworkers.
Pros
being able to help
Cons
violent behaviors
Fun and rewarding
Support specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 27, 2017
VOCA was by far the best company I have ever worked for since I came to the US. Here, I often worked independently reading and installing electric meters.
Pros
Lot of overtime, good benefice
Cons
No flexible work hours
I fulfilled job requirements for the position of support associate, teaching life skills and behavioral training.
Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2017
I loved working there. It was my favorite job. Everyone worked together to train our clients. These ladies had a variety of physical and mental challenges to deal with each day. Very interesting.
Pros
Hours were always available
This was where opportunity began for me.
Rehabilitation Specialist (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 18, 2014
A typical day at work was providing service to high school students and administrative assistant to other staff members. I learned a lot about the computers. I also learned how to do payroll for 250 employees and how to run the front office when others were unavailable. The hardest part of the job was having to stay in position when others was promoted above me or others was brought in from the outside for the position I was currently working in for the past year. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning everything that I could in order to enhance my skills and update my resume so that I could move forward.
Loved my job
LPN (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 15, 2014
performed med. pass to two group homes, charted, audited charts, etc
Pros
Great clients
new line of work to learn
Home Manager (Former Employee) –  London, OHJanuary 23, 2014
we made the home like our own for the ladies that lived there - I handled all aspects of running home and handled monies - bosses were very helpful - hardest part of job meeting requirements for State reviews - I enjoyed interacting with clients and my staff
Pros
working with very understandable staff
Cons
having to cover for staff that called off after I already worked 9 hours
Struggle between challenge and reward
Putnam County YMCA - Membership Services Associate (Former Employee) –  OttawaJuly 19, 2013
I cared for a house full of MRDD women. I learned how to be patient and more tolerant because of this job. The management at this facility knew just what the ladies needed to keep an active learning environment. My co-workers here are what made this job fun. The hardest part of working here was the stress level and struggle to assist the ladies with their daily life. The most enjoyable part was their laughter and smiles.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
stressful, low wages, mentally exhausting
Loved working with the disabled clients
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 20, 2013
Very good, Processed biweekly, monthly and commission pay. Updated and maintained all payroll records for 319 employees, collected employee timesheets, examined for accuracy and management signatures, prepared excel spreadsheets for recording payroll data and transfer of information to maintain all payroll records. Utilized ADP and other software applications to calculate the amount of pay for each employee, entered data into the system for hours worked, applied adjustments, and deductions, if needed, employee balances, made corrections, if needed, applied specific data for FLSA status, Non-Exempt, and other types of statically data. Assisted auditors for the purpose of providing supporting documentation and/or information on internal process that is required for audit, authorized monthly payments to insurance companies for the purpose of ensuring ongoing insurance coverage for employees and their families, compiled statistical and payroll data from a variety of sources (e.g. time sheets/payroll, salary adjustments, longevity pay, union dues, benefits, leave balances, tax deposits, etc.) for the purpose of providing summaries to other personnel, and/or ensuring compliance with established guidelines, conferred with a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. employees, County/State/Federal agencies, auditors, vendors, banking, institutions, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accurate payroll processing, coordinated the payroll process with other departments and sites for the purpose of delivering services in compliance with established guidelines, informed other staff and/or  more... outside parties regarding procedural requirements for the purpose of processing transactions, maintained a wide variety of payroll information (e.g. direct deposits, pre-notes, W-4s, leave balances, salary, levies, garnishments, investments, voluntary and involuntary contributions, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of documentation and compliance with established policies and regulatory guidelines, monitored assigned payroll activities and/or program components (e.g. County, State, and Federal agencies, tax laws, FMLA, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring compliance with established financial, legal and/or administrative requirements.  less
Pros
salary, day to day operations
Cons
budget cuts, instability level

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VOCA. Our community is ready to answer.