Volunteers of America
61Average
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Volunteers of America:

Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA30 reviews
Fast paced workplace with a close-knit community
A lot of the staff have been here for years and are very close. They are very welcoming to new-comers as long as you are a hard worker. The environment is fairly easygoing and the management are very understanding. sometimes it gets hectic but average days are pretty relaxed. Patience and empathy are very important in this job.
Pros
lot's of hours (24hr staff), very rewarding
Cons
Can get stressful at times
works for flexibility
awesome place to work and rewarding. very challenging work. the employees are easy to work with and the management are understanding and willing to train
GREAT PLACE TO WORK. loving STAFF AND RESIDENTS. Staff are caring and know the residents and enjoy working with them. The management is very supportive
Pay needs to improve
Mary Marshall is a beautiful relaxed environment. The staff is amazing and so are the residents. The pay was not sufficient for my needs. Otherwise, I would still ne there.
Good pay
Poor management but good pay. Had a promotion and I enjoyed working there from time to time. The management team needs more help to improve.
I would recommend working for the pay.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Very relaxed atmosphere
The staff and management at Volunteers of America were very caring and easy to communicate with. They were supportive of any advancement in my career.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
Not enough pay
Volunteers of America criteia
A typical day at work for me is checking the Appointment schedule to make sure nothing changed from the day before and pass.
I learned that I love being an advocate for Senior Citizens that I worked.

Management that I worked with is very relax with some of the Mission Statement that has me questions why the rules are in place.

My workplace culture is vey diverse throughout the entire organization.

The hardest part of my job is my commute back to forth to work and the leave paid time leave accurals.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the Residents that I services everyday whether it is passing medication, or being advocate at a doctor appointment.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Paid Time Leave accurals
his is a great company to work for.
A typical day at work was exciting. I learn how to process an
in take application and drive a 16 seated van. Management were very supportive of work ethics. This was a diverse work place of different culture.The hardest part of this job was to inform the residents they lost their bed due to not signing in and out when leaving the building.This would appear for open beds for new residence. The enjoyable part of this job was to help and assist some one who were less unfortunate each day. Given some one a smile and a huge was awesome.
Pros
Creating a work schedule that was convenient for the staff.
Cons
Company allowed for churches and business provided lunches and dinner for residences and staff.
Improve the lives of individuals with Intellectual Disability
Good company to work for. There seems to be some growth for lower level employees, but there is minimal growth at some point to fo futhur with the company.
Home
Volunteers of America provided a great professional work environment for me and a loving, encouraging, supportive environment for their clients. I really enjoyed my experience.
Great
A great place to feel at home. Understands and adheres to established policies and procedures. Assists in the creation and maintenance of staff schedules. Provides emergency training to all staff as a caregiver. Maintains staff and client statistics and reports.
Maintains call-in and retention report.
Pros
A family to come to
Cons
Too much fun at work
na
Serious minded organization. The managers are result focused. Wage payment is on time. The only problem is poor pay and they want to use staff to the fullest capacity without considering that there ought to enjoy annual pay review upward.
fun place to work
this good place over all fun place to work a lot of movement helping others that is in need. it teach you to kind to others and will test your patience to others
great place to work
• Provide administrative support to Center Supervisor.
• Manage reception desk of center.

• Answer phone calls and direct calls to appropriate parties or take messages.

• Attend meetings to record minutes.

• Greet visitors, assess their needs and direct them accordingly.

• Read and analyze incoming memos, submissions, and reports to determine their significance and plan their distribution.

• Perform general office duties, such as ordering supplies and maintaining records management database systems.

• Open, sort, and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and email.
Didn't work there this year.
I didnt work there this year. The facility was closed down as of this year, I worked hypothermia season for homeless who sleeps outside, We'll oversee and made sure they were fed, and had snacks, as we stay in churches.
Pros
Being in service
Cons
interacting with all kind of people
I working there great job i work with clients that are in need in alot ways in life .
excellant job good management good pay . answering phones helping clients filling ,do on site on over the phone screening for future clients , rounds
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks and healthcare
A place to grow and learn.
Every day is a new adventure. I have learned a lot about the field of addictions. The management is great and so are the co-workers. There is nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part is watching people grow.
Always on top of my work meeting my clients needs.
Very interesting on the second day at work when state license also happen to visit the facility for their normal annual review.
It was a very tough day for me dealing with this particular resident who don't want to take his meds but at the end of it, a co-worker came to assist and all went on well.

But on the next day, this resident approached me and said he always do that to new staff to test their spirit. He actually became a friend to me before I left.
understanding of homeless population
knowledge of homeless population, assisted clients to address what caused homelessness, life skills study, NA/AA treatment-substance abuse, transitional housing programs and participated in the study of ending homelessness within 10 years.
Pros
Compassions and understanings of causes that lead to homelessness
Cons
No offsite lunch breaks
Great place to work people I help are really sweet
Like here it is a great place and the people are so sweet despite their issues. They care about you and appreciate anything you do for them!
Pros
Helping others and feeling better
Cons
Feeling helpless when one of them slips through the cracks or messes up and you have to them away.
Great employer
On-site consumer resident supervision or support
• Communicating observations and information about the consumer resident to the program coordinator, RN and treatment team

• Supervising, organizing and supporting recreational and/or socialization activities

• Transportation

• Residential counseling

• Crisis intervention services (but not including crisis intervention counseling)

• Participation in the development of the comprehensive service plan

• Participation in individual service coordination activities

• Documenting observations, information and services provided to the consumer resident in progress notes

• Perform all other duties as assigned
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers of America. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Volunteers of America.