Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,934 reviews
Stressful environment
Home Educator (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CADecember 14, 2018
Stressful place that does not know how to get the best out of their employees. Last minute meetings, People who are leaders that fail to lead. An environment that burns people out.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Too many chiefs and not enough indians
Would love to get a raise
Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 11, 2018
Would love to get a raise. Hopefully we will get one soon.We are not micro-managed and we get the work done. We had a great boss and was able to all work smoothly together as a team.
Pros
not micro managed as of yet
Cons
pay could be better
Non profit
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJDecember 11, 2018
Great place to work that also let you volunteer.
Available for overtime when you want
Friendly coworkers
Holiday pay
Benefits
Multi tasking job
Holiday parties
Pros
Cons
Make sure you know what your signing before signing anything
Great work environment
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pacoima, CADecember 10, 2018
Volunteers of America offers a great environment to work in. It has given me the opportunity to grow as a person and work harder. It provides its staff to grow.
If you want to learn work here, if you want permenancy don't work here.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 10, 2018
Volunteers of America does not match it's mission statement. CEO, VP, AVP and Division Directors say they understand the hard work employees do but they truly do not care about employees. Their main goal is ensuring Volunteers of America looks good. Don't get on the bad side of supervisor, directors etc if you do be prepared to be terminated or never promoted.
Pros
Personal Time Off
Cons
Poor salary for the work. They expect blood, sweat and tears but you get nothing in retunr.
Amazing place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Guyton, GADecember 6, 2018
It was very emotionally stable and overall a great place to be employed. Salary was the best but if you truely live the job you settle with it. Overall a wonderful job.
Employee Culture
Veteran Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wayne County, MIDecember 6, 2018
Employee satisfaction is high and people get along well together. There is a lot of alone time which is good if you are happy to work independently. The times we do come together, there is good free lunch :)
Pros
lunch
Cons
stressful sometimes
its cool
dirdct support professional (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WADecember 6, 2018
I it's cool to work with VOA because they care for people. They allow you to help others who can't take care of themselves. If it wasn't so far with transportation I probably would have stayed there but I was also a student so it became difficult for me to balance it all out.
Pros
you can do whatever in your downtime at work
Cons
too long working hours
Fast Paced
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 5, 2018
The typical work day consisted about working with a team, completing common house hold chores and occasionally giving clients their medications. As well as following their daily schedule.
If you are looking for a career this is NOT the place to work.
Property Manager for 120 Units (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 1, 2018
They do not care about their employees or their clients.
It is a hostile atmosphere and there is no room for growth. I have worked with seniors for 15 years and this is the worse experience I have ever had. They cannot afford to repair the apartments but they can afford to rent out the Dallas Cowboys Stadium for themselves as a company. That doesn't make any sense when your motto is to help those less in need.

It is very sad to watch the elderly population be treated in these types of conditions and know that the company doesn't have any intention to help them.

The upper management has no experience in Property Management and are clueless as to what they are doing. They are not certified in Real Estate, Housing Specialists or Tax Credit Training.
Pros
Working with the senior citizens who just want to be heard
Cons
No training, communication, money, or support.
Its a big company. The company is great, not every part of it is good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 1, 2018
When I worked years ago at the agency, the experience was great. When I worked at the last job, different facility and the last was a complete mess.
Work day was pretty laid back, but had a lot to do to make things functional from previous Supervisor. The facility had a huge turn over and the director was not helpful to staff. The work force culture was not good because of the huge turn over and disenchantment of the staff. The hardest part of the job was dealing with things that had been left by previous supervisor and the lack of patience to teach me my job. the most enjoyable part was helping the clients.
Pros
A Great Company that has been around for decades
Cons
It has a big turn over and some facilities are dysfunctional
Some managers don’t care about their employees
Assistant Community Administrator (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CONovember 29, 2018
VOA is a good place to work but the pay is not good. Some manager care about their employees and others do not. Everyone is friendly and care about what they do for the community
management
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manatee, FLNovember 29, 2018
It was difficult especially because I knew more than my manager in many ways, especially when dealing with evictions and some other requirements for serving as Property Manager. Also, I don't feel that I was properly trained to preform some duties correctly. I always felt that I was bothering my manager when I needed advice on certain task directly pertaining to the way that Volunteers of America of Florida requires such task.

All in all I love my job, the clients and the tenants. Additionally, I feel that with better training, I could have succeeded well in the company
Well meaning but chaotic work place.
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 28, 2018
I've met a lot of really nice people working here, well meaning for sure. I've also seen all the staff leave since I began and I'm onto the fourth Manager which means more changes. The pay is quite low and there are no perks or benefits. It's been perfect for me for various reasons but as i'm preparing to move on, I can look back and hope things get better from here.
Pros
health care
Cons
high staff turn over, frequent management changes, low pay, only 5 days holiday a year.
smh
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 28, 2018
Their mission is great! However lack of genuine community engagement hurts them. Seems all about the mighty buck instead of truly helping people.Management was a huge factor in this problem
Good company to work for. They do a great job of teaching you the business of foster care.
HCS Foster Care Parent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2018
VofA was a very good company to work for. They do a great job of teaching and instructing the minimum standards and how to be a foster parent. Volunteers of America did not see the vision I had for the girls. I kept my clients engaged and very active. VofA had very stringent policies on the girls money. I would have to submit a request for funds, wait 2-3 weeks to get the money and if I spent my own money ahead of receiving the check, I could not get reimbursed, It was very difficult to get reimbursed so often times I'd just spend my own money and not get reimbursed.
Rough environment, negative co workers
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 26, 2018
Working as a clinician at VOA western Washington in Everett was for the most part a disappointing experience. From day 1 you are looked down on by co workers who have been there for years and it they truly make it an uncomfortable place to work. The negativity and “stuck up” attitude that is displayed by several current employees really makes it a place you don’t want to spend very much time. Political views are often shoved in your face by other employees and any differing view is met with conflict. This truly was a very poor work expirience due to the environment. Do not work at this place unless you are very good at keeping to yourself and ignoring negativity.
Pros
Rewarding job helping the community
Cons
Co-workers
Terrible comunication and managment. Very unqualified staff making serious decisions that effect young at risk adults.
TLP/BLC Youth Monitor (Current Employee) –  CaNovember 26, 2018
Residents are amazing. Was blessed to meet some amazing young adults. The place is complete chaos. Managment does not do there job or even show up. As a result of that to many chiefs. Bad comunication throughout entire staff which causes confusion and no real help to residents in preparing them to be self sufficient.Nothing productive really takes place. Some staff mis treats or favor certain residents. Managment has serious favortism issues. And passes the buck on staff. COMPLETLY UNORGANIZED. Some staff treat residents like they are in a jail or youth facility which is completly inapropriate. Way to much gossip between certain staff and management.. To much stress for such little pay. No room for advancment. A good place to get your feet wet and then run !
Pros
Residents are great
Cons
Pay is pathetic, work atmosphere is horrible, Managment does not comunicate with staff at all, No real services given at all other then a place to sleep, residents constantly removed from center because of staff favortism or under qualified.
Poor Management
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 26, 2018
Poor Management! The Directors have NO idea how the programs are to run and the managers barely do as well. Directors seems to be so concerned about losing grant money, that they often to very little to correct the managers. Everyday is a literal circus. And HR...their idea of "fixing" any employee related issues is to move people around to different programs. So instead of fixing the problem, they move the problem to another area. Managers often have NO experience in the field of work they're managing- causing chaos for those who work under them.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management, pay
They care for humanity
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 25, 2018
They help peopole that others would not god bless them . For thte love in one womans heart beth valentine is an amazing woman and I think she is a superb boss also

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers of America. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Volunteers of America.

Powered by Comparably