Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,011 reviews
Not organize well
Home Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 22, 2019
so days can be good and some bad depending on clients and staff behavior Staff can wont to do manager jobs sometimes Some staff is hard working behind when not complete job right
Pros
Eat when clients eat or situate in the home
Cons
healthcare
Worse place I ever worked
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 21, 2019
Terrible management. Night supervisor had her favorites and if you weren’t one of them, she made my life very stressful. Always missing hours on my checks, late pay, talked bad about other workers, and told me if she knew I had a disability she wouldn’t have hired me. Very stressful environment because of her.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, mean to the kids, spoke badly about the kids parents
Great company to work for
Lead Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 20, 2019
This is a great company to work for. I would most definitely refer people as well as return to work for the company if I move back to live in Texas. They are very professional in very GREAT as far as training the people that they hire.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can not think of any
Helps the community and fulfills a vital need in assisting those who suffer from substance abuse.
Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  louisville kyFebruary 20, 2019
It was a cool place to work. Had the opportunity to help people in need.A caring organization. I wish I had stayed there.
Started as a client monitor. Ended in Maintenance.
Pros
A lot of good people to work with.
Cons
na
Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eckert, COFebruary 20, 2019
The staff talk behind everyone’s back. There’s no real team work. They do investigations and don’t ever find the truth. Play favoritism with staff even if someone is more qualified for job position. They allow husband and wife to work same shifts. Don’t allow very many sick days. High turnover. Not family oriented at all! They act like you personally offended them when you call in. Staffing is always short and the staffing coordinator will bug you all hours even if you just worked a night shift.
Pros
Residents
Great Environment
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 18, 2019
Good group of people to work with. Gained a lot of skills. This job offers great benefits and gives a feeling of satisfaction because of the work that we do daily.
Great entry level postion
Case Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 15, 2019
Great organization to work for if you are fresh out of college looking to gain some experience in the social services field. Not a company that I would recommend if you’re looking for something long term. Executives show no gratitude towards the frontline employees. Inside of the programs upper management are in cliques with their subordinates. The organization also holds too much responsibility on the case managers. Overall, not a healthy work environment to stay in for long.
Pros
Work schedule, flexibility, experience and trainings
Cons
Compensation, high demand, poor communication and favoritism
great
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 13, 2019
i really miss working there i had some family issues that was going and had to leave this job but the staff is resat and the clients are great as well
Room for advancement
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 13, 2019
It’s an organization based on policy and procedure to guide the workers and elevate them to do their work duties. It’s a faith based organization that explore the best for the community.
One of my most favorite places to work
Sr. Accountant (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXFebruary 12, 2019
I loved working at Volunteers of America, Texas! Love the mission, staff, CEO! If it had paid a better salary, I would still be there. Great opportunity to learn from a teaching management team.
Pros
Peers, Management, Opportunities to volunteer to help the clients
Cons
Pay, benefits
I liked working for VOA
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 12, 2019
The most enjoyable part of my day was working with my clients in there homes. I enjoyed being out in the field. I have moved on with my education that is why I no longer work for VOA. If they had a position for me I would consider going back. VOA was a good company to work for.
Inexperienced and Cutthroat Management and Staff
Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
When there are 15 open jobs at any one time, management comes and goes, current management is part time and gossip abounds, it is an unproductive and unprofessional place to work . If you are a “ friend “ of current management you are fine. If you ask questions, you are quickly disposed of. There are always huge numbers of job openings at VOA- you have to wonder why? Because support is non existent and respect for staff is lacking. Coaching doesn’t happen- only a daily run down of what you have done wrong. I would encourage anyone to run.
The hardest part of the job is not the clients - if you are committed to helping the homeless - it’s the staff. If you can stand being lied to on a daily basis, you are helping people. Resources are slim but people really need help.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Lack of support
Productive, fun, interesting, stressful
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
Enjoyed the people I worked with, my team and supervisor were awesome. There was a little favoritism but there was support for the people who did their job. There were stressful days however, there were slow days. Very challenging dealing with some of the service providers. Allowed to work from home and use flex time.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, relaxed environment, fun environment, learning environment
Cons
Some long days, stressful at times, feel unappreciated at times
Regular client interactions
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 11, 2019
This organization has an opportunity to change the lives of many through direct care services such as parenting skills, relational skills, treatment plans, and recovery (addressing addictive behaviors).
Pros
good benefits
Cons
tremendous turnover
Community Service Agency
Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 7, 2019
Providing services to individuals who mainly have low to no income retain medical care. The morale of the company is down. Raises have not been given in over four years. My most recent supervisors was awesome, but she is no longer here. No room for advancement. trying to maintain the demands of the job and clients can become overwhelming.
Versatile in hours, for the Float roll,No guaranteed hours
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COFebruary 5, 2019
VOA, was not the best on keeping guaranteed hours for their float staff. Was stressful with going to different workplaces and the other staff not always being welcoming or management. Depending on what site you were at covering depended on the stress of the job.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
overall a great experience
Project Redirect Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 4, 2019
I enjoyed my clients as they were diverse and provided me unlimited experiences in order to become the effective well rounded manager I am today. I am thankful for the experiences.
Pros
flexibility with the hours
Cons
pay is not that great
you are replaceable
Key Holder, Assistant Manager, Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIFebruary 2, 2019
when the new MGMT came into the store, we were told the the store was not up to par, and changes were swift. VOA has a toxic culture where workers are understaffed and overworked, with poor training on positions. MGMT expects proficiency and insight that are not communicated very well at all. While innovation is welcomed in some areas, you can expect little support in your challenges.
Pros
benefits, pto set schedule
Cons
toxic culture, poor training
Make your own choic3
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
Make your own choice About what you want to do in life. Have your passions follow with your career choices you will find yourself liking what you do more.
Workplace
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2019
The people I work with arre understanding and very communicative as well as working witht he youth is very enrichening. I love helping those as I feel this helps me become a more well rounded person in the community.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Youth can be unsure of plans

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight