Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

very reserved
Accounts Receivable/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 23, 2018
a typical day here required a lot of telephone calls made with insurance companies, and faxing, and reprocessing claims; the best part of this jobs was relieving and getting away from the telephone.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Volunteers Of America
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 22, 2018
I worked at one of the half-way house for prisoners who are in transition from prison to being released.
The pay is actually horrible for the work that has to be done.
Management is terrible and there is a lot of cut throating amongst the staff.
The hours are ridiculous and a lot of the staff doesn't like to help with other shifts,especially the manager.
Pros
Experience learning to work with DOC
Cons
Cut-throating, low pay, bad management
Very rewarding
Family Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, TXSeptember 21, 2018
I provided social services for low income families. I also provided afterschool program for the children who live in this community. I felt very rewarding about being able to help these families better themselves. My supervisor was very good and helpful we made a good team at making sure the residents were all well taken care of. My hardest part of my job was when residents moved away. But what made my job most enjoyable was know that these families moved away to make a better life for themselves. All so making these families holidays as best as I could for them to enjoy and seeing their faces happy.
Pros
Proud to have worked for a great company
Volunteer tutor
Volunteer tutor (Former Employee) –  Mandeville LA & Denver COSeptember 19, 2018
I volunteer my time with no pay at VOA. I was forced into early retirement because of severe arthritis in my ankles in 2007.
Since then I had both ankles replaced & I'm ready to re-enter the work world in Denver CO in a sales capacity
Pros
Volunteer
Cons
Volunteer
N/a
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2018
I feel like the company is great in general with the services the provide for their clients. The workload is heavy and can be stressful at time. The work is satisfying morally but the staff is underpaid.
Great company
Support staff (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 18, 2018
Amazing mission! I would definitely recommend to work here. They are a well organized company with amazing support and benefits for their employees. Highly recommend.
Mission driven/ Amazing place
Program Manager/ South Region Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 18, 2018
Mission driven; Diversity of services; Opportunity for growth; Cultural competency; Serves most vulnerable;

A culture of servant leadership and opportunity to show how much we care about others.
I enjoy every time I housed a family.
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Compton, CASeptember 17, 2018
I would get to work, clock in and check my emails. Then I would called my participants to either schedule them for intake and assessment. I learn that you need to think pout of the box. I have a good supervisor, she is there every time I need anything. Culture is the same like at other places I worked before. There is nothing hard about this program i enjoy to work with under serve families. I enjoy every time I was able to housed a family, I still remember the first time I housed my first client a month after my program.
Worst job I have ever had.
Job Coach / Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 17, 2018
Worked as a job coach, the organization is extremely disorganized. I enjoyed working with immediate coworkers (other job coach and the teacher) and I enjoyed working with the students. Staff on job site (hospital) were great, but my experience with everyone else in VOA or the schools was not welcoming or helpful at all. As to be expected, there were occasionally difficult parents who seemed more interested in just having a day care for their student rather than seeking job placement but blamed job coaches/teacher for everything. Pay is terrible, you spend all this time working with students to improve their job skills and help them find jobs and we had at least one instance where the student ended up with a job with a higher wage than the job coaches. Worst experience of my career.

I did try to go to a holiday party at one time and it was so uncomfortable with how much of an outsider I felt that I ended up leaving. Definitely not a welcoming group, and not much of a group--it seemed there was a decent number of people that blew off the party and understandably so.

Outside of the small team that was at the hospital, I definitely did not feel like I was a part of anything in particular. I was just another temporary cog until I left or they kicked me out. Even the job stayed posted the entire time it was filled... for multiple locations.
Pros
Main work was on hospital campus so I wasn't around regular VOA employees that much, most of the students were good to work with.
Cons
Poor structure, poor training, poor wages, there was no support for the staff that was working directly with the students.
Fun and quick paced
Intern Case Manager for HUD-VASH (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2018
I very much enjoyed my time at VOALA. the work culture was very rich and positive, our team was always supportive of others and as an intern I has a very good experience. Typical day was fast paces and interesting to say the least. The hardest part of the job was finding housing for the homeless Veterans on my case load and learning that they have to do the leg work in order for it to work.
Pros
Awesome team
Cons
non paid internship

Want to know more about Volunteers of America?

Ask a question
Unriendly environment
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MISeptember 12, 2018
Mans world. Male oriented. Not a very friendly work environment. No follow through with what they promised. All in all would not recommend working for there.
Pros
You were able to help veterans.
Cons
Too many to mention
Beware!!!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  JFKSeptember 12, 2018
The worst agency I have ever worked for in my life. Completely unprofessional. Read the fine print and asked every question imaginable if you decide to work for these people. All of the sudden permanent full time positions suddenly become temporary part time with no benefits and will insist this was brought to your attention at the interview.
Loved this internship
Chemical Dependency Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 11, 2018
This environment was all men facility. Everyone was kind and supportive towards each other. VOA had a lot of resources for the individuals and veterans.
Pros
Lot of interaction with patients
Cons
Internship
Utilize for experience only
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2018
I only recommend VOA for someone starting out in their Career and need experience. Management here is like a fake mean girls club, including the male director. This is a good place to gain experience but that's about all. They will promote their people before anyone else. We are a reflection of Management and due to them not training us on new forms recently, they have us looking like we don't know what we are doing.
Pros
They allow you to make mistakes
Cons
No Training, Not Consistent with anything
Great benefits, good experience
STOCK STEWARD (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Great organization to work for, excellent benefits, great company culture. They hire people that are dedicated to service. The hardest part of the job was leaving .
Pros
free lunches, annual picnic
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Moulton, ALSeptember 11, 2018
Good place to work but pay wasn't great. It made it all worth it to see , from something you had done for them, a smile on a consumers face that hardly ever smiled.
Pros
making a difference in someones life
Cons
pay wasn't great
I love Volunteers of America
Veteran Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 11, 2018
The only thing I don't like about VoA is that there is not really room for growth in the grand junction office. Other than that I love my job. I love the flexible hours, the travel, working with the clients, and it is really nice to work in a small office setting.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Lack of Advancement opportunities
Company review
Residential Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Martinez, GASeptember 11, 2018
VOA was at first a good company. When a new manager came in the culture changed. A lady in my position in Savannah also quit. Time lines were too difficult to meet. Micromanagement came into play. Being on call 24/7 was stressful. Staff were constantly quitting.
Its a very laid back easy job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Grovetown, GASeptember 10, 2018
The management was horrible.I did however enjoy assisting the individuals in which i served. You have the freedom to plan your day for the most part which is a plus.
The hardest part of my job with volunteers of america was retaining clients
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Overall we assisted people formerly incarcerated with transitional case management service enabling them to make a successful contribution within our society
Pros
free lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers of America. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

54out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Volunteers of America.