Volunteers of America Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,626 reviews
Not Good
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2018
The site were I worked was poorly managed. My supervisor was extremely lazy. The site is regarded as the worst of all the job sites. You can learn the job if your willing to put up with the egos of the insecure managerial staff. The best bet is to learn the job and apply for a better position ASAP!
Pros
getting paid bi-weekly
Cons
every possible thing you can think of
Great place to work!
Home Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INJune 22, 2018
Volunteers of America is a great place to work. They are very flexible with schedules , and actually care about you as a person , and not just what you can do for the company .
Good place to work, kind, committed staff
Quality Assurance and Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDJune 21, 2018
Great mission, focused on providing quality services to a wide variety of clients. Committed culture that is willing to go beyond the call. Good benefits; not so good pay.
Pros
Staff, mission
Cons
pay
I lived next door to the group home. Ran the day to day operation of facility.
HIV/AIDS Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 20, 2018
I was a case manager for persons infected and infected by HIV/Aids. Assisted them with transportation to and from dr appointments and all other social service appointments.
Pros
Out in field, flexibility
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Cuthbert, GAJune 20, 2018
Volunteers of America SE GA- The Millennium Center work environment is friendly, productive, and helpful to peers.
Cuthbert is an extremely rural area with a lack of community resources that can be utilized for the individuals served. However, Volunteers of America SE GA work diligently to meet the needs effectively.
Pros
Great peers
Cons
lack of raises
Busy
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJune 20, 2018
typical day relaxed

what I learned nothing

management horrible

work place culture okay

the hardest part co workers

the most enjoyable the residents
Teacher Assistant/Floater (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 20, 2018
Very nice people and staff. Fun job kids and parents are great. Learn a lot and grow into different positions. A lot of opportunities are there. Learn to multitask quick.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
short breaks
Good workplace
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 20, 2018
Helping ESL students, organizing school staff and community meetings. Solving conflicts between students and making mediations.
It was very multicultural place. The hardest part of the job was that many parents and students were new arrivals and had difficulties to understand education system and most enjoyable to help the community.
Non profit organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rahway, NJJune 19, 2018
This organization has a high employee turnover.The pay starting salary in every field is low including management. The overall moral in the organization is low. The organization has downsized in the last 2 years to 30% staff. The long term outlook for VOA is dismal.
Not enough pay
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 19, 2018
Not enough formal new hire training, low wage pay not enough for current cost of living, it has been said not able to collect EDD benefits due to company making people sign contracts to not collect. Informed many people were laid off and they could not collect EDD. Management does not take ownership of mistakes.
It is an opportunity to cut your teeth in the industry, not a place to cultivate a lifelong career unless you enter in management.
Counselor / Outreach Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
It was an opportunity to learn another aspect to my trade, for which I'm forever thankful. There is however, an invisible ceiling that does not come into play until you begin to stretch your muscles and look for advancement. Other than filling your role it is nearly impossible to get into management. It is strictly an old boys club. I did however, ascend from Outreach Team Member to Outreach Team Leader in an matter of 90 days. That in and of itself was a major accomplishment but only due to VOA having a deficit and I had the academic credentials to fill the role at another location.
Pros
The learning opportunities are limitless.
Cons
Growth potential is very limited and considered threatening to others.
Save your money
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
This company works off of program funding's. When the program ends it is up to the employee to find another program to apply for. If you do not get into another program V of A do not pay for unemployment .
Pros
Many different program are offered
Cons
Do not pay for unemployment
Overworked and underpaid
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 17, 2018
Of course this is a not-for-profit and I don't expect a huge salary but the problem with the VoA is that I was expected to work long days, (12 and 16 hr shifts) due to short staffing for going on four months. No vacations were allowed since we had no coverage but HR did not work to find new people. Also they expect you to be trained and certified in all sorts of things like CPR and First aid and medication dispensing but will only give minimum wage and do not give pay differentials for 2nd and third shifts like many other companies. Also they give medical and dental but the plans and coverage are not great and you still pay a ton out of pocket unless your policy is like 400 a month.
Poor management
Assist indivdiuals (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 17, 2018
Not a great place to work, poor management . The ceo never follow through with complaints about the job. Than they miss treat the people they support.
This organization works too lean lacking the capacity to respond effectively in crisis events.
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 17, 2018
A mission driven organization with good intentions for its employees and clients however fails to bring it across the goal in an enduring way to yield sustained success.
Pros
Benefits - especially medical
Cons
Ineffective executive leadership
Very unprofessional
Case Manger (Addictions) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 16, 2018
I was a case manger for Fresh Start Recovery the job its self is rewarding but management sucks their is no structure.Its about the money not the ladies recovery!!!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management, No struture
Beautiful Campus
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNJune 15, 2018
A great place to work if you enjoy a well-maintained beautiful campus which is an industry leader in SNF facility under the current director of environmental services.
Positive atmosphere and great people to work with
Shift Supervisor for Volunteers of America (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 13, 2018
I approve this job to anyone who has security experience and willing to work as a team player I have worked for this company for 11 years. Started as family monitor now I am shift supervisor. I provide a positive work environment for my staff. I monitor and oversee all work is completed before the shift is over. I maintain family safety in case if emergency. I maintain building is safe no intruders of any kind. I write reports of any wrong doing concerns of the building.
Pros
You get 12 holidays a year plus your birthday is considered a holiday
Cons
You can get stuck working a lot of overtime
I enjoy working for VOA because i get a personal sense of accomplishment assisting others to improve their quality of life.
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 12, 2018
the hardest part of my job is not being paid enough money to adapt to the cost of living. I also don't like the fact that i get off so late at night as well as the double tax im getting hit by from both Philly and Jersey.
Pros
steady full time paid employment
Cons
late hours mandated dress code in a secured facility and lack of administrative support.
Job Stability
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJune 11, 2018
I enjoy my job. However I am always concerned about cuts in grants from the federal level. Many employees that have been with the company many years and have been terminated due to changes in contracts and funding.
Pros
Flexible hours meeting wonderful people.
Cons
Grants do not last forever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volunteers of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

54out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Volunteers of America.

Powered by Comparably