Volusion Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place to Learn the Ins and Outs of e-commerce
SEO Writing Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2018
This was my best internship experience, and I have had several. i was treated with respect by the team members, compensated (this was my first paid internship), was able to work with minimal supervision, and worked in a comfortable beautiful office (I even had my own cubicle!). I learned so much being a part of the team at Volusion. Also they give you your own laptop for work stuff which was super cool. You're able to sit in on meetings with the team and contribute to work for actual clients. Overall great experience.
Pros
free food all the time, encouraging team members, lots of learning, no coffee runs
Cons
no clear path to a full time position
Great place to work with a tight knit culture promoting the entrepreneurial spirit
SR. ECOMMERCE SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2018
very competitive place to work with great benefits like a stocked kitchen, fun activities and spiffs, unlimited pto, bring your dog to work day and free tacos every friday.
Pros
good pay, benefits, take really good care of their people
Cons
false accusations from hr
Challenging but engaging workplace
Customer Support Concierge (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2018
Never the same tasks in a day so it keeps the work interesting. Fun company to do work for and workplace is enjoyable. Willing to promote from within.
Possibly useful as a stepping stone
Employee (Current Employee) –  VolusionMarch 21, 2018
This is a decent place to get an entry level job, stand out, advance and pick up some professional experience and skill but the more interest upper management takes in what you work on, the more maddening your job experience will become. They have very low trust in their staff and only value their own thinking even when it's really superficial and misguided. The only people who succeed here are sycophants and those people have a very tricky job acting like they're okay dealing with the messes that management insists they make in the name of the questionable idea of the month. The company has been failing in slow motion for years now and the leaders aren't smart and skilled and humble enough to turn things around. They don't live by the culture code they created and aren't aware of their own mistakes so they don't learn from them and aren't aware of their weaknesses so they don't take steps to shore them up. There is almost no hope of building a fulfilling career at this place under its current leadership.
Pros
unlimited paid time off, plenty of snacks and free soda machines
Cons
dysfunctional management
Do not work here
ECOMMERCE SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2017
Starting with the director, he was awful. Always held a grudge if you ever did something negative. Egotistical. Did whatever it took including lying to customers to make a sale.
It once was promising.
Lead UX/UI Designer / Researcher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 29, 2017
Failure of CEO and Founder to understand the enterprise space led to layoffs and dumping of product. Antiquated legacy product now being destroyed by every competitor.
I loved this place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2017
The people you work with in volusion are a good people. They truly care about you and play hard, like most tech jobs they also worked hard.
The reason I left, was because of personal issues with transportation, and being too tired to meet their expectations. 4 hours on a Bus a
day will do this.

It's a call center, and their metrics are fair for what it's worth, but I couldn't improve fast enough, so I stepped down.

I would love to see this company excell.
Pros
People truly care, friendly and fun atmosphere
Cons
High expectations
Toxic Upper Management
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
Your mileage at this company varies based on which group you're in, which part of the company you work for, and the whims of upper management. I had the good fortune to work for a great manager, but it just drew a sharp contrast with the incompetence, malfeasance, and recklessness of other managers.
Pros
Cool office plan, decent compensation
Cons
You'll lose your mind if you have a sense of integrity
Fun, Challenging Problems With Confusing Management Structure
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 20, 2016
Volusion offered a lot of fun, challenging, complex problems to solve, which I greatly enjoyed. There was never a boring day. However, the management structure was often confusing and difficult to understand. Also, even though many of the higher ups often said that they value and respect their employees, they often made decisions which seemed to contradict these statements. Regardless, it's a fun place to work, with a lot of fun and interesting people who care about getting the work done.
Pros
A lot of free food, smart, interesting people, and complex, challenging problems to solve.
Cons
Confusing management structure, often contradicting statements and actions from upper management.
Continuous learning
Sr. Systems Engineer / Sr. Storage Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2016
Great place to work, continuous learning experience, fast moving technology. Great perks. So so on health coverage. As a Enterprise and SMB hosting company, you get to see all aspects of the business. Open environment, lots of communication within teams.

Want to know more about Volusion?

Ask a question
its great
Principal Front End Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2016
really enjoy working there, smart people, good product, good mix of technology and solutioning. good culture around innovation and autonomy
Headed in the right direction!
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 30, 2016
Volusion has had some ups and downs in the past and as someone who has worked here for 3.5 years I have seen a lot of them. I have a lot of faith in the leadership and products as they stand today and I am excited to see it all unfold over the next year.
Pros
Unlimited PTO! Workout facility.
Cons
Have to provide or rig your own standing desks.
I was a productive CSR
Payment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Austin TxAugust 25, 2015
My day consisted of answering in & out bound calls, for their hosting and websites. I felt there was not a team work. There is not a growth cycle
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No team work
Great people, terrible leadership
Implementation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2015
Volusion highers fantastic people to work with. Unfortunately the upper management treats employees as pawns. I've never seen a company routinely walk out entire departments with no notice.
If you work hard for Volusion you will be able to advance into other roles, however you will get burnt out. The upper management is also not good about compensating fairly or acknowledging you appropriately for your efforts.
Pros
employees, vertical movement, learning opportunities
Cons
poor compensation, little acknowledgement, constantly understaffed
Great Place to Learn, Monotonous Work
SEO Writing Intern (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2015
At Volusion you can learn valuable skills that are extremely relevant to the growing e-commerce presence on the internet. Their SEO technique and tactic is great and seems to have a huge benefit for their clients. The work however can be monotonous, seeing as you are in front of a computer for all eight hours of a work day. The people you work with are great and always willing to help. If being behind a screen doing the same tasks every day but for different clients doesn't bother you then it's great. Gaining the skill set is definitely worth it though.
Dangle the carrot....
E-COMMERCE SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2015
You'll work 60+ hour work weeks and a lot of weekends if you want to meet your quota month after month... There is a lot of pressure to go public and as a result, unnecessary stress is placed on sales and support to increase the numbers for possible investors.
Pros
Great people to work with, fun company events
Cons
sales team is overworked and underpaid
Crippled Management and poor Product quality
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 21, 2014
Certain leaders of Volusion do not have the skills or integrity to lead. The environment does not foster growth and is managed by fear and will fire employees without reason. HR hides behind the "work at will" state and the non-compete every employee must sign. This limits future opportunities if you leave voluntarily or involuntarily. Volusion masks poor treatment with free ice cream, free lunch a "fun" workplace. Reality is, the legacy platform of is floundering and being out marketed by the competition. The new platform Mozu, in theory is a great refreshing platform for the mid-market, however, is poor quality and cannot meet up to the customer's expectations. The platform has a long road ahead to become the falsely platform marketed on the website and in the product brochures - stretched truth.

Overall, the company has great people and truly believe in delivering quality to the customer. However, the leaders are delusional and in-experienced, the platforms are sub-par in the market - leading to poor quality, bad customer experiences and low employee moral.

I do not recommend working here. Look for a professional company that invests in product and people.
Pros
Nice people, decent benefits
Cons
Bad leadership, poor management, no direction, poor product quality
Low pay, long hours, inexperienced sales leader, huge turnover in sales
Sales (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2014
Volusion is a work hard culture, period.

Work life balance does not exist and the sales leader praises those that work excessive hours.

Advancement is difficult unless you are the chosen few that got in early

In sales, top sales people are promoted and have no managerial training or expertise.

Huge turnover in sales
Pros
Work life balance does not exist, goals set too high monthly
Cons
Free food
I Miss This Place
Technical Support Representative, 1 (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJune 24, 2014
This was my first technical support position, and I learned a lot about e-commerce and e-commerce software. It was an excellent place to work, and I loved the team that I worked with and our outstanding manager. The immediate supervisors, however, did tend to look down at us Tech 1's for needing their help, which was frustrating. The office was always doing something fun, some kind of activity or party. Lots of free lunches, video games, and holiday fun. An excellent atmosphere that I truly enjoyed, until the rug was pulled out from under all of us the day they laid everyone off and closed the office to move to another city.
Pros
Parties, lunches, atmosphere
Cons
Management w/ questionable integrity
Fun place to work with good career mobility
Enterprise Support Representative (Mozu) (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2014
Within the Support organization, there are opportunities to enhance technical acumen and get used to a corporate environment. Email/Phone correspondence is the bread and butter of Support.