Volusion Employee Reviews

Great benefits and focus on employee morale
Finance (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 6, 2019
The HR team focuses heavily on holding fun events and healthy lifestyles. The company overall is in the middle of a shift in focus on products, which requires flexibility.
No other workplace is as nice as working here
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2019
Extreme focus on work-life balance.
Everyone is happy and they provide free food and drinks.
All kinds of activities to help you de-stress from a gaming lounge to a meditation center.
Culture, culture, culture
eCommerce Advisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2019
Workplace benefits and everything they had to offer was super cool. Great vibe for a company who's in the rising Austin tech market but has also been around for 20 years.
No real opportunities to advance or receive competitive salary/raises.
Company doesn't know where it's going in the competitive market and is juggling too many balls all the while during those transition periods blaming the employees for failures and lack of meeting "expectations". (just ask about V1 and V2 and the current developments on their soon to release platform)
Pros
Free food, fun activities, cool things to do regularly offered by company (very culture orientated)
Cons
No career advancement opportunities that were appropriate with job expectations or compensation.
Good but with underlying issues
Commerce Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2019
The major issue with the company is that is does not seem to know what they are working towards. A lesser issue would be the turnover rate. We have multiple platforms that we have to assist with and internally they have changed the methods that we use to contact our customers more times than the amount of years I have worked there.The turnover rate is mainly caused by pushy one set minded higher ups that do not like if there is a disagreement. You can also be let go from the company by just saying that you are there because it is work. The lack of staff takes a toll on the other reps that have to then pick up the slack as if there was no difference with those people gone. It is causing customers to sit for hours without a response.
Pros
Tons of benefits
Cons
Volusion has no idea what it is doing
Stress Hives
Ecommerce Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2019
Sales goals and metrics so unattainable with severe consequences to follow if not met. If you go two months without making a goal so high, only 10% of the team makes goal, you get put on probation. If you don't meet goal while on probation you're immediately terminated. When my livelihood was threatened so severely and so quickly within a short amount of time, of course this came through on my calls with customers. This job literally gave me stress hives for the first, and only time in my life. I went to an allergist because they would start to flare up daily. This allergist explained I wasn't allergic to anything, and my hives were caused from stress. I wouldn't wish employment at this company on anyone. Bring your dog to work Fridays, and free food is NOT WORTH IT. Specially because that's now standard culture environment in every company in Austin. Management needs to really think about why they're having such a high turnover rate.
Pros
Free snacks, bring your dog to work Fridays, game room
Cons
metrics, sales goals, management
If nobody stays at this job long term, that should tell you something.
eCommerce Advisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 7, 2019
Direct manager was great but upper management was complete trash. They literally set this job up for you to get fired or quit around the 6 month mark or shortly after. They're constantly writing people up at the end of the month if they are the bottom percent and only 1 or 2 people are consistent in their numbers because they do things to take you off the lead wheel which then makes it even harder to try and get above water.

Extremely repetitive. be ready to sit on your behind for hours and literally repeat yourself over and over. Be ready to deal with the worst customers in the world. who will lie and do anything just to get off the phone. good pay and good work place environment as far as food and fun stuff to do when you're not working. but if you are sales, everyone around you is either about to quit or get fired.
Pros
Unlimited snacks, lots of food, decent pay, benefits
Cons
repetitive, extreme stress, sell or leave the company, everyone you know will start to quit or get fired.
Good starting point for people getting into sales
E-commerce Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 27, 2018
As with working in any type of call center environment, the work can become tedious. Volusion did a good job of creating an enjoyable work environment.

Expected call volumes can be problematic for some people, but I personally found the sales targets to be fair.

There are many pricing and structural changes due to focus on increasing revenue per sale, which can lead to some gaps in communications.
Felt like a company that made its money via scamming customers
Sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2018
Customers were only allowed to cancel via phoning Volusion directly. Any other attempts to cancel online just provided the phone number to call Volusion. Product was years behind of its competitors, so it was really sketchy that customers could sign up any time, any way they'd like ... and then were stuck in the service even if they did not want it. Made for a really tough job on sales/retention.
Burn Out City!!!
E-Commerce Associate (Former Employee) –  AustinAugust 7, 2018
So the deal with this Call Center is you make these E-commerce stores or cheap websites for small business owners... You're expected to create one just to get an interview with them. The funny thing is you get put into a pool with other "leads" and you have people calling you and texting you from their personal phones before you even interview..Yes you do use your personal phones to follow up with the leads and your only as good as your next "sale." Sadly, the management only cares about the top of the food chain. Fake Smiles and Promises. Typical Call Center. Most people work here about 6 months to a year due to the burnout rate.
Pros
Free Food and Employee Events.
Cons
Two Faced Management. Hostile Work Environment.
Great Place to Learn the Ins and Outs of e-commerce
SEO Writing Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2018
This was my best internship experience, and I have had several. i was treated with respect by the team members, compensated (this was my first paid internship), was able to work with minimal supervision, and worked in a comfortable beautiful office (I even had my own cubicle!). I learned so much being a part of the team at Volusion. Also they give you your own laptop for work stuff which was super cool. You're able to sit in on meetings with the team and contribute to work for actual clients. Overall great experience.
Pros
free food all the time, encouraging team members, lots of learning, no coffee runs
Cons
no clear path to a full time position
Fun work place
Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 21, 2018
The culture here was amazing. I enjoyed going to work everyday because there was always something going on. I felt like I should have been paid more than I was for the amount of work I was doing daily.
Official response from Volusion
October 17, 2018

Thanks so much for you kind words. I am happy you enjoyed working here. We try very hard to make sure we are offering our employees competitive salary, benefits and perks. We do regular market and benchmarking research to make sure we are competitive.

Great place to work with a tight knit culture promoting the entrepreneurial spirit
SR. ECOMMERCE SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2018
very competitive place to work with great benefits like a stocked kitchen, fun activities and spiffs, unlimited pto, bring your dog to work day and free tacos every friday.
Pros
good pay, benefits, take really good care of their people
Cons
false accusations from hr
Challenging but engaging workplace
Customer Support Concierge (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2018
Never the same tasks in a day so it keeps the work interesting. Fun company to do work for and workplace is enjoyable. Willing to promote from within.
Possibly useful as a stepping stone
Employee (Current Employee) –  VolusionMarch 21, 2018
This is a decent place to get an entry level job, stand out, advance and pick up some professional experience and skill but the more interest upper management takes in what you work on, the more maddening your job experience will become. They have very low trust in their staff and only value their own thinking even when it's really superficial and misguided. The only people who succeed here are sycophants and those people have a very tricky job acting like they're okay dealing with the messes that management insists they make in the name of the questionable idea of the month. The company has been failing in slow motion for years now and the leaders aren't smart and skilled and humble enough to turn things around. They don't live by the culture code they created and aren't aware of their own mistakes so they don't learn from them and aren't aware of their weaknesses so they don't take steps to shore them up. There is almost no hope of building a fulfilling career at this place under its current leadership.
Pros
unlimited paid time off, plenty of snacks and free soda machines
Cons
dysfunctional management
Do not work here
ECOMMERCE SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 20, 2017
Starting with the director, he was awful. Always held a grudge if you ever did something negative. Egotistical. Did whatever it took including lying to customers to make a sale.
It once was promising.
Lead UX/UI Designer / Researcher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 29, 2017
Failure of CEO and Founder to understand the enterprise space led to layoffs and dumping of product. Antiquated legacy product now being destroyed by every competitor.
I loved this place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 4, 2017
The people you work with in volusion are a good people. They truly care about you and play hard, like most tech jobs they also worked hard.
The reason I left, was because of personal issues with transportation, and being too tired to meet their expectations. 4 hours on a Bus a
day will do this.

It's a call center, and their metrics are fair for what it's worth, but I couldn't improve fast enough, so I stepped down.

I would love to see this company excell.
Pros
People truly care, friendly and fun atmosphere
Cons
High expectations
Toxic Upper Management
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 23, 2016
Your mileage at this company varies based on which group you're in, which part of the company you work for, and the whims of upper management. I had the good fortune to work for a great manager, but it just drew a sharp contrast with the incompetence, malfeasance, and recklessness of other managers.
Pros
Cool office plan, decent compensation
Cons
You'll lose your mind if you have a sense of integrity
Fun, Challenging Problems With Confusing Management Structure
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 20, 2016
Volusion offered a lot of fun, challenging, complex problems to solve, which I greatly enjoyed. There was never a boring day. However, the management structure was often confusing and difficult to understand. Also, even though many of the higher ups often said that they value and respect their employees, they often made decisions which seemed to contradict these statements. Regardless, it's a fun place to work, with a lot of fun and interesting people who care about getting the work done.
Pros
A lot of free food, smart, interesting people, and complex, challenging problems to solve.
Cons
Confusing management structure, often contradicting statements and actions from upper management.
Continuous learning
Sr. Systems Engineer / Sr. Storage Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2016
Great place to work, continuous learning experience, fast moving technology. Great perks. So so on health coverage. As a Enterprise and SMB hosting company, you get to see all aspects of the business. Open environment, lots of communication within teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volusion. Our community is ready to answer.

Volusion Reviews by Location