Von Maur Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Exelent
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 12, 2018
Very great place to work and many opportunities offer by thei company to every employee beneffits are great pay is wonderfull mangement is very helpfull
Pros
Good dicount
Cons
Lunch is to short
Not enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYJuly 3, 2018
I worked here for a couple months and in the deptartment I worked in, the girls were aggressive and cliquey. The dress code is RIDICULOUSLY strict, I wasn’t allowed to wear my nose ring (which was a small stud) and tattoos had to be covered at all times. Stockings were mandatory, as well as a dress or skirt. A lot of the people in my and surrounding departments were very pretentious. It was not a healthy atmosphere as far as coworkers went. This job is incredibly customer focused, so if you’re into that sort of thing then you’ll probably enjoy it, depending on the department. There was also a lot of room for advancement thru the departments.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Super strict dress code, work atmosphere, gossip obsessed coworkers
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Saint Louis, MOJune 25, 2018
i believe Von Maur was a place that I felt comfortable working for but this place of employment wasn't the place for me unfortunately. The sales quota was to high of an expectation for me considering i was a student
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
The best job anyone could wish for.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 16, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Von Maur. The sophisticated atmosphere and friendly coworkers and amazing customers are my memories. I have learned all my customer service skills and more from it. I was the best salesperson for 5 weeks in a row.
Cons
Great starter job but not long term
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 14, 2018
If your looking for something to start out its a good place but in the long term its not worth it. They will promote from within but only people they feel they can manipluate to meet there needs.
Pros
Benifits
Okay Job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Normal, IL 61761June 7, 2018
It was an okay job. I learned a lot when starting my management career but I really dislike their business model. For example, women have to wear skirts or dresses.
Hostile
Lancôme Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 6, 2018
Working in the cosmetics department was not comfortable. I was told one day to "watch who I talk to." Management was no help I went to several levels of management with different situations, they would never approach others involved instead they brushed me off. Even if the situation involved an employee treating customers poorly. I only saw this kind of behavior in the cosmetics department, the rest of the store was fine. I was not impressed that management seemed to deal with the rest of the store professionally and without bias while they watched the cosmetics department fall apart because of 1 or 2 terrible employees.
Pros
Great commission
Cons
Management and dress code
Loss prevention
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 18, 2018
Some of your duties will include, surveillance of possible shoplifters on CCTV, apprehension and interview. Working with local law enforcement and taking cash drops to the bank.

I would avoid working here at all possible costs unless you need a job desperately.
Pros
Lunch is hour long
Cons
Poor management with little to no ethics, morals or training, you can be terminated at the drop of a dime if they do not like you, hour lunch is tedious, hours can be cut, teammates and management do not have your back and will throw you under the bus
Good place to work if management likes you
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 16, 2018
I worked for von maur for one singular year and was terminated recently for, actually, doing my job. I had an issue with talking before, I stopped talking a whole lot and then I just stayed in my department and every time I left my department I would get yelled at, even if I was returning items from other departments to their department and for stocking my bags and other necessities for the department.

Management, except the store manager herself, all had favorites in the store, and was not afraid if other associates knew. Favoritism was definitely an issue.

Also, I was terminated for something that two specific managers would constantly do, except they stood in other departments and would sit and talk for a lot longer than I ever would. When I was terminated, the manager who had terminated me was 100% aware that I had thoughts that she wasn't too fond of me.

All in all I enjoyed working at Von Maur, and probably would have been able to stay if two specific managers didn't have a personal vendetta against me.
Pros
great starting pay, 1% commission on top of hourly rate
Slow, cut-throat environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAMay 13, 2018
Von Maur is a company working about 50 years in the past. It was only in the last year that they finally allowed women to not be required to wear pantyhose. Yet women are still required to wear dresses or skirts. All Von Maur's in Gerogia are generally incredibly slow, save for holidays. However their is scarcely ant employees so you can get overworked easily. The pay is mediocre and will not cover cost of living unless you're manager who has faught for more money over time. The upper management is awful and will fire people on the spot for trivial problems.
Pros
Health insurance, usually open from 10-9
Cons
Managemnt, 1950's work attitude
Floor and Store Management Poor
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAMay 13, 2018
Von Maur is an excellent Business with great selection and Customer Service focus. However the Management from Floor to Store Management is based upon your willingness to play the game of retaliation, withholding of proper compensation, and the setting of traps. As a former management employee I would like to shine light on this consistent truth that’s mentioned in Almost every review. This type of Management structure flows from the top, so to report any type of unethical behavior goes in a circle to later serve as purpose for any of the also unethical actions taken by Management.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Culture, Ethics
Mixed Feelings
Executive Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 9, 2018
I moved up very quickly in this company, so I had to learn the company in and out very quickly as a high up member of management. I have had a great experience with them so far, but they are VERY all about their rules and standards and the second you step out of them or slip up, you are warned/written up. It is stressful because you are expected to meet specific goals and are evaluated monthly. I highly recommend this company to very driven people or you will be weeded out eventually. If you like to work hard and are a fast paced learner you will love working for Von Maur.
Pros
Great employee benefits, competitive wages/salary
Cons
Management ins't super present, very strict and traditional, skirts everyday
Great place to work, terrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 7, 2018
The wages and hours were great. Staff was really nice and laid back. The only downfall for this company was the manager, who had handled everything unprofessionally.
Not my favorite
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 26, 2018
For the amount of money that they charge customers for their goods you would think they would pay their employees better. The dress code there for women is seriously out dated,dresses and pantyhose everyday is kind of ridiculous.
No grace period, favoritism
Beauty advisor full time (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYApril 24, 2018
So your job is not secure for the first 90 days at all. If you are are more than 3 times even by a minute you are gone. If you clock in one minute late from lunch you were gone. But you can’t take to short of a lunch. Can’t be sick in your first 90 days. Also have to make your insanely high sales goal or your gone. They don’t care about you at all.
Pros
One hour lunches
Cons
Grace period, no job security
Archaic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 7, 2018
It was absolutely ridiculous that women were required to wear skirts every single day. It is good that they ditched the pantyhose rule because that was dumb, too. 1% commission on sale was nice.
Little communication, poorly managed
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIApril 1, 2018
While I love working with a lot of the people there and I do enjoy certain parts of the job itself, the place is so poorly managed that there are days that I found it difficult to actually perform my job. At times, communication between the managers was at a bare minimum, not to mention the fact that they make changes to the department (my department, at least) without consulting or even notifying the department manager. They micromanage and can't seem to stick to a decision, making it hard to keep track of what's considered standard procedure from week to week. Sometimes it's as though they don't even really listen to the needs or opinions of those actually working in the department, as if they just don't want to deal with it. It's overly stressful and not worth the frustration.
Family owned but you will be over worked.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 25, 2018
Good place to gain experience but not to make a career. Good pay for most positions but benefits are so so. Family friendly. They like to micromanage.
Not a fun place.
Customer Service & Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN 46804March 25, 2018
Their were days very stressed. management didn't always know what how to detail, they would leave you hanging with the unknown of direction.
I did have a few good co- workers.
I very much enjoyed working with people.
customer service & sales is my challenge. I loved it!
Pros
loved working with customers
Cons
No meetings on store issues. where we were or status.
Von Maur is an excellent place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 21, 2018
I loved my time at Von Maur. They were more than willing to accommodate my school schedule and even helped me transition into working more. I received consistent and useful feedback about my performance, and all of my managers supported me to the best of their ability. While I didn't pursue advancement in the company, it was very clear that the company preferred to promote within and supported any employees who did want to move up. It could be a very demanding job at times, but the customers really made it feel worth it.
Pros
great discount, opportunity for promotion, flexibility, paid vacation days
Cons
only open until 9pm, requires constant socialization, on your feet for long periods of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight