Von Maur logo
Happiness rating is 58 out of 100Below average

Von Maur Employee Reviews

3.0starWork-Life Balance

Found 547 reviews matching the search.See all 548 reviews

Overall good pay, decent managers, and fun, busy atmosphere. Customers are sometimes more high need than others but you find the fun in helping them.

Pros

Commission on sales

Cons

Catty work environment, lots of micromanagement

Unrealistic expectations

I worked as a men’s fragrance sales associate. They provided zero training. Instead they had you a book with fragrance adds and descriptions and send you on your way. They wanted 900 dollars in men’s fragrances sold daily which was completely unrealistic with providing zero training and this location doesn’t have the foot traffic it thinks it does. Management told me I had to double my sales by the end of the week( the y told me this on Friday at the end of my shift) and fired me when I couldn’t double my sales in the time frame they wanted

Pros

Coworkers were lovely

Cons

Management sucks

Amazing company

Worked as management, had lots of support from other management. Working sundays would be time and a half. Beautiful store and good benefits with store discount and first pick on sales.

Excellent Co-workers, Poor Management

Management plays favorites, does not appreciate hard working employees that consistently meet and exceed sales goals. Live music is great to listen to during work, and the cosmetics employees were fabulous to work with.

Pros

Amazing co-workers, good schedule, live music

Cons

Management is terrible

Quiet and professional workplace

Women aren't allowed to wear pants. I had to wear tights and panty hose in 100 heat. You can't use email or cell phones to build clientele. It was very difficult to build relationships with clients in the beauty dept because we couldn't use cell phones.

Pros

Nice management, nice environment

Cons

Pay, no technology allowed. Not even department managers

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Horrible company to work for

Nothing. They favor certain people and dont care if they break the rules or not. Long hours and they push you every step of the way or your out the door. Never received any rewards for over the top performance. You can rank the highest and you dont even get a Thank you!

Pros

Cons

Slave drivers

Department Manager, joke of a role

"Overseeing" your department, more like being told what to do by your Floor Manager or Store Manager. Making changes to the area to improve sales, laughed at and told to rearrange because management didn't like how it looked.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Under staffed, overworked, lucky to get a raise if they didn't have a reason to write you up for anything

Nice place to work

It was a nice place to work, I loved my coworkers! The work/life balance was great for retail. My upper management team was descent. I never personally had any issues with any of them. They answered questions, and supported me as needed. Pay wasn't horrible but could have been better. Will set you up on a career path when they see potential. You will have to do some hard work like stock and cleaning while wearing some of your nicest clothes.I really have no complaints about the location I worked in. Had it not been for Covid I'd still work there!!

Pros

Closed major holidays, descent pay, live piano music, possible growth opportunities

Cons

Covid shutdown/reopening was my only issue.

Sales oriented only

clientele book is an actual paper book there’s no technology and their system is really bad. Managers Micromanage your sales every hour. They have too many managers and the information always gets misunderstood. You can’t be late when coming back from lunch must punch in 3 minutes before your lunch ends which mean you only take 25 minutes but they take 30 minutes from your paycheck. Building is really old. Lunchroom and restrooms are very old. You can’t be late or call off. Must wear a long skirt. You can’t bring a water battle to your work area. No one who works there is happy. Everyone is watching each other. Horrible environment. However the job provides stability if you don’t break any rule and get fired. I saw too many people getting fire.

Pros

You Get $10 if a costumer writes a good review under your name for good customer service

Cons

Micromanagement

Professional and worker oriented

I've always enjoyed my time here. The management team is great and they are willing to work around your personal life within reason. It is retail hours so if you can live with that, this is a great place to start your career or have a side gig. Pay is extremely competitive. If you hang around long enough, management is within reach.

Pros

Good pay, employee oriented, decent benefits

Cons

Retail hours, burnout potential

Nice place to work

Worked in the cosmetics department with 18 other women. Made great commission on sales, did not feel fully supported by coworkers as commission became extremely competitive. Strict dress code and management often fluctuated. Enjoyed working part-time there with holidays off.

Wonderful place to work - the teams are so inviting and helpful

The only comment is that the commission seems low. However, that would likely change in time. The challenging part was working the late evening hours - but I did get used to it.

Pros

Beautiful place to work - I took pride in representing Von Maur

Cons

Low commission percentage

Great co-workers, amazing customers, hard work

Von Maur is a great place to work, but the expectations can be difficult to achieve if you don’t work hard. Advancement can be tough, as it seems there is favoritism at play amongst management. The environment is enjoyable to work in, though it can be frustrating when you’re working incredibly hard, and others are not, and they don’t face consequences for their lack of motivation. The benefits are on par with other retailers, but with the pandemic vacation time (and the ability to take it) is scarce. Management is always very thankful (verbally) for going above and beyond, but other than gratis items there isn’t any financial “thanks.” Staffing is awful, and I frequently find myself working in other departments beyond my normal “home” department. We frequently have to cover more than one department at a time, which can be stressful, and frustrating for the customers when they have to wait. This is mainly due to a lack of qualified candidates applying at the moment, and so we’re stretched thin. On the whole I love working at Von Maur, but at the moment things are quite stressful and exhausting.

Pros

Gratis, great co-workers and customers, good pay.

Cons

Long hours, management favoritism, stretched thin for staffing.

Not a bad company, but not a great one

I’ve worked at VM for almost 5 years and overall, it’s been a snooze fest. There are lots of days when you will have a small amount of customers. Aside from cleaning and tissuing boxes for gift wrapping, there is nothing to do. Management pushes you to sell, but the problem is there is not many people to sell to. It’s extremely frustrating. The one thing I do appreciate is how management is very flexible when it comes to scheduling. Unfortunately due to COVID-19, time and a half on Sundays is no more and for the first time this year we had to work on a major holiday (Labor Day). VM used to really stand out for me, but now it is becoming like every other retail store. I’ve worked as a sales associate and department manager. This job is extremely boring and if you’re looking for something exciting, this isn’t the place for you.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Boring, no major perks

Do not recommend

Continually cutting hours, raising benefits costs. Raises are minuscule for most departments, with an ever increasing work load. Unless you are a salaried employee, you don't matter. Workplace culture has taken a nosedive. Most systems we used are so outdated, with no plans for improvement. Dress code is strict, even if you don't interact with customers or vendors. Most employees are nice, and its a clean environment.

Pros

Most people are friendly.

Cons

management doesn't communicate with staff, hours being cut with more work added

Technologically outdated company with poor upper management

Extremely outdated company. Von Maur still uses pagers, the CCTV system is among the worst quality of any security/LP job I've held, and the employee portal probably hasn't been updated since 2005. Cases are all on paper, with no plans for digitization. Upper management is poor at communicating expectations and providing adequate training or coaching. Company culture is stuffy and very politically correct. Loss prevention receives an inadequate budget and is considered low priority within the company (for example, Christmas decorations will be placed directly in front of cameras, meaning that there will often be no visual on subjects). LP receives little respect among many of the sales associates. Anyone can be terminated at the drop of a dime for any reason, because there is no write-up or verbal coaching procedures. Tardies are absolutely not permitted. With that being said, sometimes it was a fun job and my immediate manager was great. You will have a quota of cases you have to reach on about a 4-week basis, which can be difficult during slower times of the year. Because you are not allowed to stop anyone unless you have all 5 steps, and because a bad stop is an immediate termination, upper management would rather watch lifters get away than for LP to risk a bad stop. Be prepared for a lot of paperwork and some secretarial-esque duties.

Pros

1 hour lunch, nice environment, sick days, holidays off

Cons

Stuffy company culture, outdated tech, poor upper management, associates can be terminated at any time for any reason

Fast Times at Von Maur High

Do you remember high school and all the social groups like the jocks, nerds, wierdos, etc? Now imagine a clothing store that’s the same way. I worked in loss prevention here. I was a fly on the wall that caught shoplifters. I was never taught how to do my job well, so I had to teach myself. Meanwhile, I saw so much bullying, gossiping, and revenge terminations by the managers. Imagine a bunch of coworkers constantly fighting over petty stuff and managers bickering amongst themselves. The cool kids were safe, but the nerds and weirdos were terminated. I had 4 managers that constantly came into my office to gripe. I had no choice but to sit there and listen. They even complained about their personal lives. I felt like Dr. Phil. So glad I left. Pay was bad also at $13/hr.

Pros

Nice elevator music and break room

Cons

Toxic workplace, dealing with crying coworkers, insecure managers

Your life is disposable to this company

There was a constant pressure for meeting goals despite slow days. Coworkers can be petty and backstabbing for that 1% commission and keeping their job, but you'll find people that are reasonable and feel the mutual suffering. When it was slow which occurred regularly also depending on what department you're in, the environment was like being in a shark tank. Customers must be greeted within 30 seconds no matter what. Von Maur doesn't understand that customers become uncomfortable easily because everywhere they walked from one department to the next another random employee would jump out of the racks to say hello and try pull them into a friendly conversation so they'll buy something. Customers will try to walk faster because they've been greeted everywhere and get weirded out by it. When you have trouble flagging people down for sales, you get a critique for your poor efforts and your job gets threatened. Another element of goals were contacts. You have to get customers phone numbers to call or write a letter and you had to get a number of them done within a few weeks. I personally trouble with this because customers don't like giving their personal information for good reason and the regulars would already have it with another veteran employee. It was so bad that I had to resort to contacting family and friends to meet those goals like it was an MLM. I felt like I was only talking to those close to me about how they should come in to buy something when I already wasn't getting to see or talk to them much. I felt embarrassed like I was using them and put in a place of feeling -

Pros

Nothing except learning what to avoid when looking for a job

Cons

obsurd dress code, work culture, pay, safety, old world values, and limited accessibility

Easy going workplace.

I've found Von Maur to be a relaxed and easy going environment however, I am not in a sales position and do not experience any of the pressure to meet goals that seems to drive most of the turnover. Management seems almost intentionally aloof to the concerns of floor level employees and focuses almost entirely on driving sales and reporting positive numbers back to corporate. The culture among employees comes off as very cliquish and juvenile at times mirroring the cattiest moments of middle school. Nonetheless the store is largely staffed with well meaning people who genuinely enjoy their job.

Great company to work for

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Von Maur is pretty good. They work with you as much as business allows.ManagementIn general, managers at Von Maur are helpful. They are try to get you where you want to be.

Bullies

Store management encouraged dept management to bully salespeople. Not a lot of training except for occasional times when the dept management would actually come out to the sales floor. More often than not the exchanges from management were short and not useful. Expect plenty of snide remarks if you are not a favorite.

Pros

Holidays off

Cons

Stressful work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight