Von Maur
Happiness rating is 56 out of 100

Von Maur Employee Reviews

United States591 reviews

Easy Retail Job-Terrible Management

Due to the atmosphere of the store, the customers are nicer than most stores so it’s not too much of a headache dealing with customers. Sure, there’s arrogant and entitled customers but they’re unfortunately everywhere. My coworkers and I got along fine and I found that many of them were kind enough to offer help if I needed it at any time. It wasn’t a bad job until I found myself regularly covering two departments alone on the weekends and then sometimes, three departments on a weekday. Once or twice is fine, but it felt like just because I could do it, management thought they could rely on me every time to pick up the slack for the store being severely understaffed. It was a huge factor in my decision to leave, it was too stressful and I was only working part time with little to no attention from managers. The manager would shrug and just pat my shoulder telling me that I could handle it then disappear for the rest of the day. Thanks for the crumb of sympathy-but I’d rather they schedule me with someone in the other department so I didn’t have to run around like a chicken its head cut off for my entire shift. Communication between management and sales associates was terrible and scheduling is a huge issue at the store I used to work at-and I don’t think those are things that could be compromised in the slightest at any workplace. I honestly found myself having to bring scheduling issues to management myself many times there. It’s frustrating and seemingly such a simple problem to be fixed.

Extremely low pay and very corporate

They don’t pay well at all, and basically want volunteers but demand a lot from you. The job I was hired to do is basically part time and a courtesy volunteer type of position yet paid. The pay is extremely low, and there isn’t any good communication between what the corporate bosses want and expect. There is no raise or any kind of promotion involved either.

Von Maur insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

Very stressful place to work.

It started out as a nice place to work, but after a while I began to see the cracks.It became very stressful, emptying the truck at 8am in the morning was like working an 8hr shift and then you realize your shift hadn’t even started yet.And working 40hr weeks, you had no time to do things in your home or personal things.It was just a very stressful place to work.

Supportive staff made this retail job less difficult

Started on the sales floor, was able to move to Customer Service within two years, then became responsible for fulfilling online orders posted through the store. I was trusted to do the work without being monitored, and while some customers could give a hard time, my coworkers made up for it. Very pleasant place to work overall.

The upscale products

Management uncaring and only helped associates they favored. Did not care about family urgent care and to try to work with those that had medical needs.

Pros

Christmas decorations were wonderful.

Cons

All mentioned above. Uncaring management.

Stressful work environment

Offered little training to employees who were thrown into situations they were unprepared for. Pay was good but overall not a pleasant place to work at

Employees and Management are awesome

I love the employees and people at Von Maur. Scheduling can be difficult, especially if you don’t want to work on the weekends. They are strict with their attendance policy which is both good and bad. If you don’t mind a random schedule, everything else about working there is great!

Pros

The people, Hour lunches

Cons

Inconvenient scheduling

Very little time is spent on typical CS duties, more time was spent packaging and sending out online orders.

The managers were inconsistent with rule enforcement. The dress code is stringent for nowadays acceptance they just began allowing women employees to wear black dress slacks as of October, 2019. Duties included, accepting and processing payments, wrapping gift items, processing returns, answering phones, balancing drawer at end of day. Majority of time is spent packaging online orders for shipping or pickup.

Pros

Store discount of 30%

Cons

Majority of the times, worked shift alone so you coluld not leave counter unless you paged a manager

Just good enough to keep you there

It's not and good or as easy as the job should be but it is a paying job. The dress code is not consistent between genders. Very little room for advancement.

Pros

20% discount

Cons

Staffing issues, management does not contribute in positive ways consistently.

Meh

Commission was good. Not really much else to say about the company other than it was alright working here. Coworkers were dope but other than that I don’t have much to say

Pros

Commission with base pay (fair pay for college students or starting into sales)

Cons

Don’t know

Horrible

Horrible place to work!! They could care less about the employees. They question their employees integrity, doesn’t matter who you are and what you stand for, they assume you are a thief.

Micromanaged

I like the customers and some of my coworkers but I did not like the department manager. Too much gossiping and people fighting over one percent commission. Wage varying from week to week.

Honestly really enjoyed working here

You get to have your own space and can choose your lunch time, not how long just what time. very flexible with schedule and hours when I worked as a seasonal associate. When your full time you are expected to work 6 days a week from 3-11 sometimes to 12 to finish all the packaging.

Pros

Benefits, average pay

Cons

6 days a week

Awesome company!

Really cares about employee requests! Love the professional environment. Dress code is a plus. Good benefits offered. Sales associates make good commission. Managers are friendly, there's an open door policy too.

Pros

Holidays off, great discount

Cons

Outdated technology

It’s fine

It’s fine honestly didn’t really remember too much about the job but it’s ok like it wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t terrible as well. To each their own.

It was fun in the beginning

Co workers were great. I met some great people here. Didn’t feel the support from upper management. It is retail so be prepared to work nights, some holidays, and weekends. A lot of perks were taken away once Covid happened.

Great Family Atmosphere

Great semi-retirement job in a nice classy sophisticated atmosphere. Management are friendly & pleasant & accommodating to my concerns & questions . LOOKING FWD TO RETIRING HERE ONE DAY!!!

Great coworkers, good opportunity to grow

This job was a great opportunity to gain experience in customer service. Through hard work and perseverance you earned commission on sales, and worked together as a team in your department.

Okay

It’s an okay place to work if you know how to turn your brain off while you’re there. Hours are decent when you’re not on busy season. If you’re in busy season, be ready to have no energy or time to do anything. You WILL work every Saturday and some Sundays. Nothing but gossip and management does nothing to shut it down. Double standards for every department. Every department makes the same (doesn’t matter if you’re unloading or loading trucks, you’re making the same as someone putting clothes on a hanger). They only gave a pay boost when Amazon announced they were opening. No room for advancement.Would only recommend this place as maybe a part time or seasonal job.

Pros

Benefits. Can leave for appointments

Cons

Pretty much everything

Good management

The managers were very compassionate and understanding of their employees needs and well-being. My executive managers did there best to create a healthy and inclusive environment at our store.

Pros

Hour lunches, benefits

Cons

Low pay, long hours

Loved my boss zach

Okay place to work pay could bebetterbutnice people who appreciated you and the work you did for them. I loved all the cleaning skills I acquired and all the nice coworkers who were always willing g to help.

Pros

Free samples

Cons

N/a

Common questions about Von Maur

Answered by current and former employees at Von Maur

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight