Von Maur Employee Reviews

HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2018
I started as a sales associate and got promoted a lot. I think if you can learn the company culture and continue to grow it's a good place, but it seems like once you get keys to the store growth stops.
ehhh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYOctober 10, 2018
everyone thinks 1% commission is a big deal but its not. dept managers steal your sales in order to make monthly CSIP goals. upper management has favorites so if you are not their, you will never get promoted.
excelent company
Alterations Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
I enjoyed my time in this company. great co-workers, Management, company, etc. They know how to incentive employees and how to mak them feel part of the family
Pros
1 hour lunch in a comfortable employees room
Cons
day start at 7 am
Not A Fun Work Environment
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 3, 2018
Ever since I started at Von Maur, I knew something was off. I didn't feel as "at home" as I did when I previously worked at Younkers. The work environment is very strict and there are many policies that don't really make sense. You are never allowed to sit—even after the store is closed (you have to wait for EVERY customer to leave the store before the employees are cleared..keep in mind you're still expected to stand the whole extra 15-25 min on top of your 8+ hour shift). You aren't allowed any water or beverages on the sales floor...even if you provide a doctor's note they will decline it. You are given a 15 min break and an hour lunch when working full-time hours... but management side eyes you when you take your 15 min break as if you're lazy. All in all, it's just too serious of a work environment for me and there seems to be many stuck up people that work there as well. On top of everything, you have to wear skirts every single day and they have many other strict dress code policies that make me think that I'm back in high school because I'm not even allowed to show my shoulders. lol.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Management, Policies, Work Environment
The worst place I've ever worked!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2018
Moral is the worst, management walk around like they are lions keeping an eye on their prey. It's extremely micro managed. Management can't control the employees, they will allow you to be bullied constantly and try to persuade you into continued to be bullied. They will NOT make you feel safe at work. Management will also boost you up in training with all the things they would do to support your success during your time working at Von Maur and as soon as you have an issue all of a sudden all of that hype goes out the window. What they do and what they say does not align. They have no clue how to run a business. You'll spend most of your time working outside of your department due to high turnover but you'll goal will still be the same. They ask for flexibility but when you ask for it in return you don't get it. The perks are the greatest part of this company. It looks pretty and polished on the outside but it's ugly on the inside.
Pros
Holidays off, Time and a half on Sundays, weekends off
Cons
Unprofessionalism, Problem solving skills, Communication issues, unqualified management, no grace period for tardies, overworked in multiple departments, strict, micromanaged, and shows favoritism among associates.
Professional environment
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 24, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Von Maur as it was easy to gain and maintain clientele, which increased my commission. Wearing a dress everyday to the work place seems out dated, however it is made clear before hiring that this is a part of their dress code. The workplace culture would be much more desirable if there were an open door policy that upper management allowed for more employee input.
Pros
Great clients and a clean environment
Cons
Dress code for women
Working with Von Maur
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILSeptember 19, 2018
As a visual merchandiser I was able to put my hardworking skills to use. Von Maur challenged my creative mind in many ways on the creative thinking level.
Culture & Diversity needs tons of work here
Sales Associate/Counter Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2018
MGMT. Can take lessons on how to talk to employees with dignity and respect. I think the turn over wouldn't be so bad. It's like 60 or 70 percent turn over rate at the moment. You get good quality people in but they leave due to Management's terrible attitudes and favortism to place certain people in certain positions. Need to place more qualified (people of color of any race) in management positions, and stop looking at race as an issue. It's 2018 not 1900 .
Pros
Get holidays off
Cons
Go for promotion you might not get it whether you are qualified or not depends on skin color
nice people
Seasonal Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 13, 2018
I worked seasonal gift wrapping and it was a lot of work but a lot of fun too. The management took good care of even the seasonal employees, we felt like we were part of the Von Maur family.
Pros
hot chocolate bar
Cons
sore feet
Terrible culture with poor marketing
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 7, 2018
The place is run like its 1960. They do zero advertising and rely solely on word of mouth in 2018. Because of this, no ones hardly ever in the store. Doesnt stop them from running the employees in the ground to make sales. The culture is horrible. Everyone in HR is trained to have a fake smile only when customers are around. Meanwhile the manager sits and micromanages everyone in the entire department store from the camera room.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Low foot traffic; bad culture

Want to know more about Von Maur?

Ask a question
Fun place to work. Great clients
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 6, 2018
It's easy to work at Von Maur. You are working with the best products and clients in the metro area. Good employee on boarding and training. Scheduling was random but management was responsive to change.
Pros
Beautiful store and high end products
Cons
Panty hose and dresses
It could be better
Logistics/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 6, 2018
I have been working at Von Maur for the past two years. Management at Von Maur needs to be trained in ethics and diversity. They do not care about their employees.
Pros
Closed on major holidays.
Cons
Management does not care about employees.
Overall plesant experience
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHAugust 29, 2018
I enjoyed working here, but again, upper management had issues with micro managing. Often department managers would be undermined when dealing with their own team employees.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Micromanagement, dress code
Productive and hard working staff that are friendly and helpful.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAAugust 18, 2018
The staff were friendly and helpful. As an employee, you were taught to go the extra mile for the client in helping find the right purchase for them.
Pros
Friendly, clean, good benefits
Cons
Not good job for people who can't stand for long periods of time.
Love Von Maur!
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 17, 2018
Would've stayed forever if it weren't for the hours :( Once I started a family it was important for me to be off at night and on weekends. Truly amazing company.
Pros
great management
Cons
hours
awesome place to make big bucks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 15, 2018
von maur is so nice inside and you have to look the part. i loved dressing in dresses everyday and wearing stocking hose and nice shoes. i felt like a woman:)
Pros
discounted clothes, hour breaks
Cons
achey feet
The best place I've ever worked
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILAugust 10, 2018
Everything was good there... From the Management, to the staff, even the work was O.K. too... I didn't won't to leave there, I had everything... Von Maur takes very good care of they Employees, & customers...
Pros
just a great place to work...
Cons
you have to be on time...
It can be a great place to work
Superior Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 16, 2018
Mostly the younger men and women got upper management jobs. I think the older ones were put aside for management and left as sale associate etc. and not advanced to management.
Pros
Great people work there.
Cons
low pay and no advancement for some.
Exelent
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 12, 2018
Very great place to work and many opportunities offer by thei company to every employee beneffits are great pay is wonderfull mangement is very helpfull
Pros
Good dicount
Cons
Lunch is to short
Not enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYJuly 3, 2018
I worked here for a couple months and in the deptartment I worked in, the girls were aggressive and cliquey. The dress code is RIDICULOUSLY strict, I wasn’t allowed to wear my nose ring (which was a small stud) and tattoos had to be covered at all times. Stockings were mandatory, as well as a dress or skirt. A lot of the people in my and surrounding departments were very pretentious. It was not a healthy atmosphere as far as coworkers went. This job is incredibly customer focused, so if you’re into that sort of thing then you’ll probably enjoy it, depending on the department. There was also a lot of room for advancement thru the departments.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Super strict dress code, work atmosphere, gossip obsessed coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight