Von Maur Employee Reviews

Beautiful store with a weak management core
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 25, 2018
Known for customer service, Von Maur is incredible! Their loyal customers are a joy to work with.
However, they need to work on management . They hire inexperienced managers whose insecurities leak through on poor decisions.
A friend I worked with was written up for reasons that were trivial. She met sales quota and the customers and co workers enjoyed her. Her co workers did the same things but were not targeted with a paper trail.
High standards for customers. Embarrassing to see how this company treats employees if they are not ‘in their circle.’
I enjoyed my experience there but was sad to see how others were treated. If the customers only knew.
I left to work for another company that spends money on management all who work hard and possess excellent people skills and training skills!
Pros
great customers and co workers
Cons
Wasteful upper management!
Loss prevention
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 18, 2018
Some of your duties will include, surveillance of possible shoplifters on CCTV, apprehension and interview. Working with local law enforcement and taking cash drops to the bank.

I would avoid working here at all possible costs unless you need a job desperately.
Pros
Lunch is hour long
Cons
Poor management with little to no ethics, morals or training, you can be terminated at the drop of a dime if they do not like you, hour lunch is tedious, hours can be cut, teammates and management do not have your back and will throw you under the bus
Slow, cut-throat environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAMay 13, 2018
Von Maur is a company working about 50 years in the past. It was only in the last year that they finally allowed women to not be required to wear pantyhose. Yet women are still required to wear dresses or skirts. All Von Maur's in Gerogia are generally incredibly slow, save for holidays. However their is scarcely ant employees so you can get overworked easily. The pay is mediocre and will not cover cost of living unless you're manager who has faught for more money over time. The upper management is awful and will fire people on the spot for trivial problems.
Pros
Health insurance, usually open from 10-9
Cons
Managemnt, 1950's work attitude
Floor and Store Management Poor
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAMay 13, 2018
Von Maur is an excellent Business with great selection and Customer Service focus. However the Management from Floor to Store Management is based upon your willingness to play the game of retaliation, withholding of proper compensation, and the setting of traps. As a former management employee I would like to shine light on this consistent truth that’s mentioned in Almost every review. This type of Management structure flows from the top, so to report any type of unethical behavior goes in a circle to later serve as purpose for any of the also unethical actions taken by Management.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Culture, Ethics
Mixed Feelings
Executive Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 9, 2018
I moved up very quickly in this company, so I had to learn the company in and out very quickly as a high up member of management. I have had a great experience with them so far, but they are VERY all about their rules and standards and the second you step out of them or slip up, you are warned/written up. It is stressful because you are expected to meet specific goals and are evaluated monthly. I highly recommend this company to very driven people or you will be weeded out eventually. If you like to work hard and are a fast paced learner you will love working for Von Maur.
Pros
Great employee benefits, competitive wages/salary
Cons
Management ins't super present, very strict and traditional, skirts everyday
Great place to work, terrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 7, 2018
The wages and hours were great. Staff was really nice and laid back. The only downfall for this company was the manager, who had handled everything unprofessionally.
Not my favorite
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 26, 2018
For the amount of money that they charge customers for their goods you would think they would pay their employees better. The dress code there for women is seriously out dated,dresses and pantyhose everyday is kind of ridiculous.
No grace period, favoritism
Beauty advisor full time (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYApril 24, 2018
So your job is not secure for the first 90 days at all. If you are are more than 3 times even by a minute you are gone. If you clock in one minute late from lunch you were gone. But you can’t take to short of a lunch. Can’t be sick in your first 90 days. Also have to make your insanely high sales goal or your gone. They don’t care about you at all.
Pros
One hour lunches
Cons
Grace period, no job security
Archaic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 7, 2018
It was absolutely ridiculous that women were required to wear skirts every single day. It is good that they ditched the pantyhose rule because that was dumb, too. 1% commission on sale was nice.
Little communication, poorly managed
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIApril 1, 2018
While I love working with a lot of the people there and I do enjoy certain parts of the job itself, the place is so poorly managed that there are days that I found it difficult to actually perform my job. At times, communication between the managers was at a bare minimum, not to mention the fact that they make changes to the department (my department, at least) without consulting or even notifying the department manager. They micromanage and can't seem to stick to a decision, making it hard to keep track of what's considered standard procedure from week to week. Sometimes it's as though they don't even really listen to the needs or opinions of those actually working in the department, as if they just don't want to deal with it. It's overly stressful and not worth the frustration.
Family owned but you will be over worked.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 25, 2018
Good place to gain experience but not to make a career. Good pay for most positions but benefits are so so. Family friendly. They like to micromanage.
Not a fun place.
Customer Service & Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN 46804March 25, 2018
Their were days very stressed. management didn't always know what how to detail, they would leave you hanging with the unknown of direction.
I did have a few good co- workers.
I very much enjoyed working with people.
customer service & sales is my challenge. I loved it!
Pros
loved working with customers
Cons
No meetings on store issues. where we were or status.
Von Maur is an excellent place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 21, 2018
I loved my time at Von Maur. They were more than willing to accommodate my school schedule and even helped me transition into working more. I received consistent and useful feedback about my performance, and all of my managers supported me to the best of their ability. While I didn't pursue advancement in the company, it was very clear that the company preferred to promote within and supported any employees who did want to move up. It could be a very demanding job at times, but the customers really made it feel worth it.
Pros
great discount, opportunity for promotion, flexibility, paid vacation days
Cons
only open until 9pm, requires constant socialization, on your feet for long periods of time
Productive place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 6, 2018
I enjoyed working with the people I did at this company but felt like management could have done a better job with being fair and equal when it comes to employees.
Worst management experience
IT (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 5, 2018
Non-technical managers are in upper management positions and have no clue on today's technology and how it is utilized. The term "this is how we've always done it" is their montra! Technology security is non-existent, they continue to believe they've never been hacked! They use any excuse to write you up and one write up in a year means no raise and no possibility of transferring to a different department or position! You're not allowed to have any food, or drinks (other that water in a clear sealed bottle) at your desk.
Pros
Cons
Management looking for any excuse to write you up
Meh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILMarch 5, 2018
Not the greatest workplace. They expect employees to do a lot for a mediocre pay. Full-time employees had to come in at 7 am for markdowns and our store never had enough scanners, but my department got jipped because management ensured children's had over half of them. We were expected to always make sure the customer was satisfied to the point that even if they were being extremely rude you were not to react. Pretty much do everything for them and many people took advantage of that along with the LOOSE return policy. I made decent money for being a part-time worker and a full-time student, but it seemed unfair for the full-time employees. They haven't increased wages in nearly 20 years. Only department managers or pace setters made a decent hourly wage. 1% commission is also a slap in the face. Returns go against your commission as well. Sales goals are laughably high at times. I liked some of my managers, they worked with my college schedule. But often they would play favorites in other departments (letting some get away with things while others were fired). It was good for a while but I was glad to leave.
Pros
Make friends, flexible hours (part time), Sunday pay, most holidays off
Cons
Short breaks, biased managers, pay and commission, high goals
Old School Style
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYMarch 1, 2018
Management picked favorites and only helped those specific people advance. Dress code was very professional, but women were required to wear skirts and pantyhose, and men had to wear a full suit at all times. This looked great, but in practicality it was very hard to get normal tasks of a retail store completed. Very catty attitudes. They always had enough people because it was expected each department have at least one person working at all times to create a personalized shopping experience.
A lot of perks for retail. Some weekends off. Paid vacation and sick days.
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 19, 2018
Twice a week you arrive to work 2-3 hours before store opening to receive and display shipment. You will learn to be a team player and work any department that needs assistance. Your managers will be working with you to get the merchandise out before opening, They will get you help if you are behind.
Although there is a professional dress code the atmosphere is not stiff. You will love your co-workers and managers.
You will work a variety of shifts days and nights and some weekends. You will receive time and a half for Sundays.
You will receive 1 weekend off a month, 2 after 1 year of service. You start accruing vacation after 90 days. If you are full time you receive paid sick days.
You will have most major holidays off (we're closed), Christmas, New Years day,Easter,Memorial day,Fourth of July,Labor Day,Thanksgiving. No long hours during the Christmas holiday season. We open an hour earlier about 2 weeks prior to Christmas. We don't stay open after 9pm. No black Friday extended hours.
Pros
Good benefits and pay.
Cons
Varying schedules.
Friendly atmosphere
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 15, 2018
It’s a great place all the way around , only some cons here and there . Commission is great ! I hate to leave but I’m just looking for a different atmosphere!
Pros
Breaks, employees, the company .
Cons
1 manager
Prepare to stand around
Beauty Advisor/Estee Lauder (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 14, 2018
Nice environment. Very slow pace, prepare to stand around doing nothing. Not challenging enough if you like advancement.

Some of the management team are inexperienced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight