Von Maur Employee Reviews

Friendly and welcoming work environment but large turnover of employees.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 5, 2018
My experience at Von Maur was an enjoyable one. They provide proper training before putting you on the sales floor and that made the transition very easy. The employees are very kinda and most want to help and boost each other up to reach the sales goals. The only problem with the job was the store management has no care for the employees, you can be a top salesman but exceed the tardy limit and will be terminated immediately. This caused a high turnover rate and often employees struggle to make it out of the 90 day probationary period.
Pros
Friendly staff and customers
Cons
Store management will not try to work with you no matter how good of an employee.
Horrible Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 26, 2018
many of the managers picked favorites and did not take into account people's personal lives when scheduling. I requested to only work 20 hours a week and they would schedule me more. They would constantly deny my time off. Those in management positions were not qualified and had no people skills. They would always be under employed and deny people positions that were qualified. They do not let you have water out on the working floor even if sick. 15 minute breaks we sometimes not given when required and most times there were not bathroom breaks.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No breaks, management, scheduling
Micro management , not given company breaks
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rosedale MNNovember 18, 2018
Manager micro managed the department, people did not get guaranteed breaks as promised by the company, not enough training, belittling by the manager of the employees. Favoritism by the manager. Can't wait to find another job.
Pros
Upper store management is good
Cons
Poor poor manager. And favortism
Poor floor Management
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILNovember 17, 2018
Short employees, 9 hr shift without break time. One hr lunch to punch out. Most of the days nobody cover my lunch break so I have to call manager. I have to work at Junior department and evening cover concepts man department too. Floor manager not pick up my call when I need for the customers. I have to work alone for Three people jobs. Clean the floor and 25 dressing rooms. Markdown, pick up lots of stocks from the dock and put on the shelf or hang up. Manager not helping but give you write off and poor review.
Pros
Benefit for full time after 90 days. 401k after one year of work.
Cons
Over work load. Poor management.
yuh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHNovember 13, 2018
Great place! I loved Evey minute of working for von maur even on my way to work filling up gas in my suit gave me a sort of respect from people i was not use too
No advancement opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 13, 2018
The maximum amount of raise they will ever give you in a year is .50 and they will find any reason to not give the full .50. Not even close to worth it for the amount of work you put into the job. I worked there for 3 years and wasn't even making $1 more than when i started. I found a new job and did the math, I would've needed to work there for an ADDITIONAL 4 YEARS with full .50 raises every year to be making what I started out making for a different company.
Great place.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buford, GANovember 10, 2018
The store was new to the mall but hands down one of the best and most presentable stores I have ever seen. This store made you feel like you were shopping at luxury brand store. It had some of the best brands and best features to a retail store.
Love the coworker, but management are terrible.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2018
Its a very slow store but the sales per hour is reasonable. Paid holiday and you can be off with your family and thats about it. The company lacks skilled management and people are not trained correctly. they are so behind in technology and doesn't let employee use their phone and thats cause them to lose a lot of sales. Floor manager is not properly trained and have no clue what she is doing all the time.
Pros
holiday and day off
Cons
poor management
Enjoyed coworkers
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 24, 2018
Co workers were great and made it fun to come to work. Store Manager at the time was inexperienced and did not know how to manage associates that knew more.
I hate this.
LAURA MERCIER BEAUTY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 20, 2018
This is literally the worst thing ever. I have been typing all day. I'm tired. Why would you do this to me? I'm a nice person. 150 is too much. I'm annoyed.

Want to know more about Von Maur?

Ask a question
Diverse
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 16, 2018
Von Maur is a very diverse workplace that provides retail experience in the clothing/fashion industry. Very luxurious and classy place to work. However, it can be very slow paced at times!
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2018
I started as a sales associate and got promoted a lot. I think if you can learn the company culture and continue to grow it's a good place, but it seems like once you get keys to the store growth stops.
ehhh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYOctober 10, 2018
everyone thinks 1% commission is a big deal but its not. dept managers steal your sales in order to make monthly CSIP goals. upper management has favorites so if you are not their, you will never get promoted.
excelent company
Alterations Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
I enjoyed my time in this company. great co-workers, Management, company, etc. They know how to incentive employees and how to mak them feel part of the family
Pros
1 hour lunch in a comfortable employees room
Cons
day start at 7 am
Not A Fun Work Environment
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 3, 2018
Ever since I started at Von Maur, I knew something was off. I didn't feel as "at home" as I did when I previously worked at Younkers. The work environment is very strict and there are many policies that don't really make sense. You are never allowed to sit—even after the store is closed (you have to wait for EVERY customer to leave the store before the employees are cleared..keep in mind you're still expected to stand the whole extra 15-25 min on top of your 8+ hour shift). You aren't allowed any water or beverages on the sales floor...even if you provide a doctor's note they will decline it. You are given a 15 min break and an hour lunch when working full-time hours... but management side eyes you when you take your 15 min break as if you're lazy. All in all, it's just too serious of a work environment for me and there seems to be many stuck up people that work there as well. On top of everything, you have to wear skirts every single day and they have many other strict dress code policies that make me think that I'm back in high school because I'm not even allowed to show my shoulders. lol.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Management, Policies, Work Environment
The worst place I've ever worked!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2018
Moral is the worst, management walk around like they are lions keeping an eye on their prey. It's extremely micro managed. Management can't control the employees, they will allow you to be bullied constantly and try to persuade you into continued to be bullied. They will NOT make you feel safe at work. Management will also boost you up in training with all the things they would do to support your success during your time working at Von Maur and as soon as you have an issue all of a sudden all of that hype goes out the window. What they do and what they say does not align. They have no clue how to run a business. You'll spend most of your time working outside of your department due to high turnover but you'll goal will still be the same. They ask for flexibility but when you ask for it in return you don't get it. The perks are the greatest part of this company. It looks pretty and polished on the outside but it's ugly on the inside.
Pros
Holidays off, Time and a half on Sundays, weekends off
Cons
Unprofessionalism, Problem solving skills, Communication issues, unqualified management, no grace period for tardies, overworked in multiple departments, strict, micromanaged, and shows favoritism among associates.
Professional environment
Estee Lauder Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 24, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Von Maur as it was easy to gain and maintain clientele, which increased my commission. Wearing a dress everyday to the work place seems out dated, however it is made clear before hiring that this is a part of their dress code. The workplace culture would be much more desirable if there were an open door policy that upper management allowed for more employee input.
Pros
Great clients and a clean environment
Cons
Dress code for women
Working with Von Maur
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILSeptember 19, 2018
As a visual merchandiser I was able to put my hardworking skills to use. Von Maur challenged my creative mind in many ways on the creative thinking level.
Culture & Diversity needs tons of work here
Sales Associate/Counter Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2018
MGMT. Can take lessons on how to talk to employees with dignity and respect. I think the turn over wouldn't be so bad. It's like 60 or 70 percent turn over rate at the moment. You get good quality people in but they leave due to Management's terrible attitudes and favortism to place certain people in certain positions. Need to place more qualified (people of color of any race) in management positions, and stop looking at race as an issue. It's 2018 not 1900 .
Pros
Get holidays off
Cons
Go for promotion you might not get it whether you are qualified or not depends on skin color
nice people
Seasonal Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 13, 2018
I worked seasonal gift wrapping and it was a lot of work but a lot of fun too. The management took good care of even the seasonal employees, we felt like we were part of the Von Maur family.
Pros
hot chocolate bar
Cons
sore feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Von Maur. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight