Vortex Industries, Inc. Employee Reviews

Never again will I work for this COMPANY
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 20, 2018
Poor poor management, makes you work constantly without breathing. Cheap cheap manager who does not care about your well being. No bonuses, only the Manager gets it while we all work so hard for him.
Pros
A few co-workers
Cons
No breaks at all
Good place to waste your life
Foreman/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 28, 2018
Horrible management, terrible hours. Service techs work long hours make all the jobs work when managers go home on time and reap all the benefits. Manipulative managers looking to take advantage of technicians and run them in the ground.
Great Pay if you Put in the Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2018
Great Company with Great People minus the few bad eggs but those are everywhere. The pay is very generous but the workload is high. Overall Loved It!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Workload
fun and competitive
Door tech (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 20, 2018
it was an interesting work place filled with good people and plenty of room for advancement, school was provided and training to further your career and potential
Good Place for Experience, Bad for Families
Commercial Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 16, 2018
Overall not a terrible place to work, decent pay, but not what you can earn for the same work at other places. No set schedule which sucks for employees trying to make plans and spend time with family. Poor Management and lack of set training.
Pros
Good for Experience
Cons
Poor Management, Not for Family Oriented People
Great Company as a whole, but individual service centers have management problems.
CSR/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2018
I have enjoyed my time at Vortex. They take good care of their employees. Unfortunately there was no more room for advancement for me within the company and am looking to expand my skills and experience with a new company I can learn and grow with while utilizing my skills and extensive background and as office manager, accounts manager, A/R Specialist, and customer service representative.
very stressful/ backstabbing
Service Technician and Installer- $20 (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJanuary 16, 2018
every job was stressful not because it was hard but because most of the time the parts ordered were wrong and us as the Techs were forced to find a way to make it work so the company didn't waste money for a return trip with the correct parts, however jobs usually had the quoted time blown due to fixing managements mistakes. This would always anger the customer and we had to deal with it, if it was brought up to management they would not care then they would talk about you behind your back. Also there was no privacy in the shop. everyone personal business was out in the open no matter how personal it was, which was horrible for morale.
Pros
money/ benefits
Cons
everything else
long days, hard work
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2018
It is a good door shop but hard to move up due to lack of growth and no movement. The pay is good, it is a technical job and training is not good or often.
Good company and values.
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 19, 2017
A typical day at work in my position of Systems Analyst was mainly acting phone/email support as I was the only other one in my department other than my boss. In person support for local centers when needed. Travel to farther locations was typically handled by the Director. Setting up hardware for all aspects of the company was also required, almost daily, for phones and desktop PC's and occasionally a new server. Maintenance of all hardware was required and of course the creation and implementation of processes for all manner of business facets such as security, operations, and communications.

I learned how to better conduct myself across phone and email communication and I broadened my skill base considerably as I required to manage front end and back end systems across the company.

The culture at this company is put out as being very warm and open but unfortunately they continue to try to run this company as a small "mom and pop" owned company when it is really a growing larger company that needs to have better core values implemented and much better employee support than they offer. Management across the board needs to be reevaluated and there needs to be reviews in place yearly, at the least, for all employees conducted by a mix of internal and impartial entities.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the seemingly relaxed nature of the workplace and all the morale boosting things they did.
Pros
Constant workplace events and big trips every few years.
Cons
Poor management/leadership, lack of reviews, untruthful "values" to the employees.
Good
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 17, 2017
Good pay. Quick pace. Lots going on. Well rounded training. Small office staff. More of a service company. Mostly women in the office. Main location in California
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Takes a while to advance
Very busy and intricate
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 27, 2017
Vortex was a great place to work. The office staff and the field crews were all friendly. The incoming phone lines could be very busy, then at times very quiet.
Pros
Excellant working conditions
Fun work environment, Empowered workers
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 3, 2017
Hard work and perseverance is the way to make it through the day. Expect long hours and lots of overtime. This job is a good one as long as you don't have to commute 2 hours to get there in the morning.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Lack of sleep
Great company with proven business tactics
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2017
This is a great company with paid performance incentives. Every 5 years Vortex sponsors an employee conference in Maui for those employees who qualify and meet or exceed expectations. The work is fun and the systems to handle the work load are established.

The above being said, there are very few opportunities for advancement, and I would recommend this company for entry-level job seekers only. There is no matching, or percentage of matching 401K offered. Beyond the basic 401K plan, less than 5% of the company is offered a retirement package at all. Unpaid overtime hours are expected and often.

I stayed at Vortex for many years (17) as it was a steady and secure job. I was given a few lateral promotions that I earned and was grateful for receiving. However, with such limited upward mobility, it is easy to stay too long in one area of the company.
Pros
Company Trip, paid performance bonus, small company feel
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunities, insufficient 401K plan, long hours, little vacation
A good place to work
Field Marketer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Worked there for 4 years, everyone was nice. pay was good for the position. no advancement in my position. my job was unsupervised and independent, not much direction.
Productive and fun workplace
Accounting Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 26, 2015
Fun workplace. Great company culture. The company really took care of their employees. Offered great benefits and profit sharing. When the company made money it trickled down to their employees.
Great company, not great management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 8, 2015
I worked at this company for nine years, and loved the other team members who worked for me. A typical day here includes answering incoming calls from customers looking for service, scheduling the jobs, calling customers to schedule work, marketing to new customers, calling customers who are past due on their accounts to get payment, marketing, providing quotes to customers for door repairs, following up with customers about quotes already provided, and dealing with customers who have questions.

I learned how to do collections, accounts payable, and how to work in Navision and how to do inside sales. Training at this company is largely akin to dropping you in the water and telling you to swim, but my awesome coworkers largely made up for it.

My first manager there was great, although once our service center got busier she was unable to handle the stress. Our new manager started out great, but as his job duties became more and more stressful he became a rude person and was very abusive. He is new at being a manager and had little to no patience with training or coaching his employees. Again, I had great coworkers and they helped me deal with his behavior.

The hardest part of the job was juggling multiple projects at once with little support from management. Mistakes were severely punished and successes were not mentioned.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people with fixing their doors and making a bad day good for them. I also enjoyed feeling challenged and like I was pushing myself to do better every day.
Pros
Great Benefits, bonuses, profit sharing
Cons
Non-union, no raises given - ever
fun work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Vortex Industries was a lot of fun to work for. It was a part time position but the work load was enough for part time. I received all incoming material from UPS and some freight orders. I matched them against the purchase orders generated and assigned them to the driver they were ordered for. Handled all incoming calls and routed them accordingly. There were not a lot of people in the office i worked for. It was a fun and productive workplace.
Pros
Family environment, flexible hours, great training
This was a fast paced enviroment where you learned something new everyday.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 6, 2014
My day would start at 8:30am I would start with dispatching all the technicians to their locations. I would move on to timecards and payroll, billing, then collections. I would end my day by doing ordering supplies, and accounts payable. Throughout the day I would do dispatching, order entry, marketing, and any human resource related issues. My duties ranged from payroll to party planning and everything in between, so my daily role varied, I had some staples however I wore many hats.
I learned a lot about the "door" and construction business. I know have a lot of knowledge on how to order parts and how certain things fit together.
The hardest part of the job was at times I was limited in the range of options I could take in billing and collections. There were customers we could have taken the next step in collecting the businesses money and getting the aging report down, however, management would not approve these steps sending some customers into a written off status. This was money lost for the business and not how I handle collections.
The most enjoyable part about this position was the many hats I got to wear and the constant learning. I loved learning something new that I could carry with me to my next position and further my career. I also did enjoy the other freedoms and liberties I got in this position, in where as long as I completed all my tasks and duties I could create a schedule and customer relationships that worked for me.
Pros
The hours: weekends off, day shifts, and major holidays off.
Cons
Not a good 401K plan
good
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 29, 2013
its a good company t work for, and has a great team, has a fast pace environment, and excellent management team.
Review
Door Technician (Former Employee) –  San Leandro,CaAugust 7, 2012
I really enjoyed working@Vortex Industries.Great opportunity for growth.I was able to be creative with the work.I'm a carpenter by trade,so a lot of times,I got the chance to frame some doorways,showcase my talents.Management was great!No complaints there.My only regret is not taking care of my drivers license(3 points@the time).
Pros
working in the field
Cons
a job taking longer than estimated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vortex Industries, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about