Vox Media Employee Reviews

A great place to work!!
TEMP (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20036July 31, 2018
Processing invoices, W-9s, W-8s and responding to emails is a typical day
I learned, financial force, W9 & W-8 entry process.
The Manager is AMAZING, the culture is laid back, everyone is really cordial.
Great company to work for
Full Stack Web Developer (Internship) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2018
The culture at vox is amazing and so is the tech that is used. Agile standups + 2 week sprints are standard and help you stay on track and engaged. The management team is super responsive and helps you in whatever you need. Highly recommend.
Freelance work
Freelance Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2018
An open-minded workplace for freelancers. A good place to meet and interact with talented professionals in the field. Not stable for someone looking for a full-time opportunity.
Good compensation, poor company culture
Producer, Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2018
Great pay and benefits but I personality did not think that made up for the poor company culture. The brand that I worked on had HORRIBLE management and we rarely, if ever, interacted with the other teams in the company. There is very low team moral across the board and people work for the most part on their own. The offices are strangely quiet for a large digit media company. It's because most communication happens on Slack, which leads to extreme inefficiencies, interpersonal difficulties and low energy on the teams. If you like to keep to yourself and don't mind encumbering corporate policies and inefficiencies, then Vox is a decent place to work.
Vox Media is a cool place to work
Multimedia Producer (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCMarch 21, 2018
Best job I ever had! I would go back in an instant. Recommended to anyone who wants to jumpstart their career in the media industry and work for an employer who really takes care of their employees.
Young company with lots of potential
Senior Programming Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2018
Leadership team is poorly organized and unfocused. Great product from editorial networks across the board. Workplace culture is relaxed, if not a bit unprofessional at times.
Changing company
Product Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2017
Vox Media is going through a lot of changes. It can certainly be a great place to work but the landscape is very competitive and they are still finding their footing when it comes to revenue vs. headcount.
Pa
BP Stock Footage (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 13, 2017
never got paid for 2 different jobs. mostly my fault for not doing the paperwork correctly but still, broke boys. honestly I haven't a care in the world about this review and can't find work.
Pros
free food
Cons
no money
Internship
Social Media Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2017
This was a summer based internship that I absolutely loved. I was a social media intern that help make content for Facebook lives. This was a great experience.
Fun Place to Work
Contributing Reporter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2016
I started as an intern with Racked NY before it shuttered. The culture here is very much a place that fosters growth for those that have potential to grow the brand. My day was spent rounding up news stories and writing up samples sales which is really hands on for an intern. I felt like a part of the team. Everyone was really easy to talk to.
Pros
Internship is paid
Cons
no job stability
Open-minded, forward-thinking company.
Contributor / Writer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2015
A wonderful workplace environment. Everyday is a new challenge, in a sense. My experience has forced me to become more diligent and resourceful with my time. The onus is entirely on you to get better. I learn from the people I work with because they, too, are writers. Which is maybe the hardest part of the job: finding the time to read everything. And I read more than anything else I do! I also enjoy working from home quite a bit, easily the best part of the job.
Laughs and Loud Music
Studio Technician / Swing Utility Tech (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2015
A typical day included myself and my studio manager, creating lighting set ups for the first show and prepping our control room to capture it. During the run of the show I would get a list of tasks from my executive producer for the day. They would include anything from trouble-shooting new equipment, going on a run to meet one of our freelance editors, or even cleaning up our storage space. Our management was good, they were fair, understanding, and only pushy when they needed to be. My co-workers were all similar to me in age and we generally had a good deal of fun while working together. Hardest part of my job would be after lunch when I normally broke down both studios alone since my manager had to be in meetings with the higher ups. The most enjoyable part was just working in the studio, listening to music and telling funny stories from the night before.
Pros
Lots of snacks, free red bull, amazing learning environment
Cons
bad communication between different departments
Vox Media
Director of Advertising/Branding Production (Current Employee) –  New York, NyFebruary 19, 2014
it's a great place to work! each day is a new adventure. Projects are great, people are great for the most part. Vox is a growing company with skys the limit opportunities.
Pros
great quality of life, growth
Cons
unorganized at times, catty, and employees have a sense of entitlement
Part-Time Job from Home at Emerging Company
SB Nation News Desk Writer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 12, 2012
I've only worked for Vox Media for a short time on a part-time basis as a news desk writer for SB Nation, but I like what I've seen from the company. They are clearly on the cutting edge of new technologies and innovations in the field. My work consists of writing news stories in four hour shifts. At time the work can be tedious, but it also provides me opportunities to be creative.