VT Miltope Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great internship program
Network Administrator Internist (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALFebruary 12, 2018
Interned here through my college and it was an excellent chance to get experience associated with my field of study. Had a great supporting staff and management.
Not too stressful, but the lack of work at times and the repetitiveness could be very boring.
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALJanuary 8, 2018
A typical day here could be boring during certain times of the year. The job is easy and very laid back. Dealing with certain managers become stressful at times. The pay isn't that good. And it's hard to determine how long they will keep you because of so many budget cuts, so that becomes nerve wreaking.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks and management
average work place nothing special
Manager Technical Publications (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, AL 36043August 27, 2017
Every other Friday off is great, but makes for a long work day. I like the the work and but Hope hull is a kind of desolate town with not a lot to do and limited restaurants.
Need area for advancement
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALAugust 23, 2017
Need more opportunities for career development. Miltope needs more growth in the company to excel workers and fufill their potential. Management needs leadership development.
Pros
Good Insure
Cons
No place to move up in company
I love this job
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALJune 16, 2017
Work is very easy. Your kind of working at your own pace. We are building laptops. This job is the easiest u can get . I enjoy the employees the management they welcome your with open arms
A Great place to work at
Electronics Assembler (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 3, 2016
I didn't work there that long but I really enjoyed the work environment there, wonderful people to work with. And I love that it was close to my house.
A great place to get your feet wet
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALAugust 17, 2016
A great place to learn about hardware Ruggedization, software integration material, properties, mfg processes. Then take that knowledge and run to the cometition (DRS) (Panasonic) and make some real bucks. Word!
Pros
8-5 job
Cons
Insurance, accountablity, management
Good company to work for when business is booming.
Electrical Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALAugust 26, 2015
Very good small company to work for.
Unfortunatelly the business goes up and down and the work force reductions follows.
great place to work
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALJuly 13, 2015
a typical workday starts out as rather slow but gets faster faster
the people you work with are like family and I'll get that way rather quickly.
management is top of the line some of the best people I've ever worked for
Pros
good open honest atmosphere
Cons
when you lose a military contract
Great Work Place
Computer Operator/Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull ALApril 13, 2015
While i worked there as the Help desk / PC Tech i loved it i always had a new challenge and multiple problem solving tasks, I was always kept on my toes and was moving most of the day i got to interact with our local employees and even the ones across the world. I was always learning new tips and tricks

Want to know more about VT Miltope?

Ask a question
A company struggling to find its place in the modern world.
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 25, 2014
VT Miltope is a company full of bright people with great ideas who make great products when not interfered with by bad business decisions. Lots of hands-on opportunities not available at larger companies. Plenty of life lessons to be learned as well.
Pros
Two-Week paid holiday at the end of each year
Cons
healthcare
Great people to work with, good benefits
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALNovember 17, 2014
A typical work day is not always steady, sometimes work is at a halt due to lack of parts. I have learned various computer skills and how to function better in a team environment and most of my fellow co-workers are a pleasure and joy to work with. The hardest part of my job is working for small pay raises and no room for advancement. The most enjoyable part of the job are the relationships have established during my time with the company.
Pros
Two weeks off paid Christmas break
Cons
No room for advancement, small pay raises
A great engineering group but a poorly managed and run company.
Mechanical Engineer Laptop Group (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 22, 2014
Miltope is a rather small DOD contractor that specializes in ultra rugged electronic systems for the military that has about 125 employees. Typical day at Miltope is 7:30 to 5:30 with an hour lunch break. The work schedule is 5 days one week, 4 days the next with a 3 day weekend every other week. The work atmosphere is somewhat light hearted (only b/c the engineering group gets along very well). The company as a whole has poor management and survives largely on the relationships that have been built with the government in order to get contracts for the company. The products that Miltope designs prove to be challenging for the engineer which actually a big plus! As an engineer at Miltope you have to wear many hats and possess a knowledge of materials, thermal sciences, chemistry, computers and electronics in general. Money is not used wisely within the company though which is a big drawback. There is a lot of waste with very little reinvested in the engineering group and R&D. The company also outsourcers entirely too much. The location of the company (Hope Hull, AL) is not ideal either.

Overall the "company" gets a poor rating. However, the relationships you build and engineering challenges make it worthwhile while you are there.
Pros
Friendly and smart coworkers, every other friday off, interesting and challenging engineering problems
Cons
Location, long hours, poor management, didn't receive proper training on new software, no real direction within the company, wasteful, outsourcing
A Learning Experience
Network Administrator - (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 13, 2014
This is a position that I volunteered for. I gained some valuable connections here. Not to mention my very first actual experience as a network administrator!
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long commute
Manufacturing Company with Loyal Employees
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALJuly 10, 2014
VT Miltope is a great company to gain relevant experience within the manufacturing industry.
Pros
Very kind and open employees
Cons
Need upgrade in some areas (Technology, company culture, and facility)
Organize Khaos
Product Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALJune 7, 2014
A typical work day begins slow but around 10:00 am everything becomes urgent and everyone needs everything right away. What I've learned about working under pressure is prioritization. Everything is not important some people just want things right away. Therefore I have to decipher the urgent matter from the I need this right away matters. My manager have always pushed prioritization every thing is not urgent some people just want things right away.

My co-workers are great especially the ones you can work well with as a team but the others not so well as a team you begin to accept that everyone is not going to feel the same as you on a daily basis. Not being able to work closely with a team member who is moody is the hardest part of my job. They allow feelings to stand in the way of our ultimate goal and thats good customer service and revenue.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet all demands and deadlines without any complications.
Pros
Getting the work done one time and before time.
Cons
Not being able to take lunch because of fear of getting behind.
Teaching the Basics
Vice President, Program Management (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALJune 1, 2014
Joined the Miltope team during a transitional period. The program team was not performing and the culture was one of functional silos and distrust.

After many months of work and training, the program team is now performing at a level that is benefitting the overall team. Collaboration, while not complete, is vastly improved.

My team has responded well to the challenge of leading the various product teams within their respective portfolios. I have been pleased with their renewed energy and dedication.

Like anything, change is the most difficult aspect of any job. Developing a culture of empowerment and trust has been difficult but the success realized and watching team members grow has made it worth the arduous road.

Nothing is more gratifying than watching good plans come to fruition. Seeing the culture move from a strictly dictatorial atmosphere to one of collaboration and team work has been satisfying.
Pros
Good product and Customers
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Duties
HR Manager, Training and Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALApril 28, 2014
HR Generalist, Training and Recruiting for 200 employee computer manufacturing industry
Conducted investigations (i.e. harassment, employee complaints, discrimination issues)
Counseled employees (i.e. time and attendance, behavior, interpersonal relations)
Counseled and trained supervisors (i.e. leadership, communication, performance appraisals, etc...)
Planned and implemented training programs for employees and supervisors
Responsible for recruitment for all departments
Responsible for creating and establishing affirmative action plan
Creates and submits annual EEO-1 reports
Creates and submits VETS 100 reports
Completes employee information in e-verify
Worked with HR Director to establish and maintain outstanding company benefits programs
Interfaced on day-to-day basis with workforce
Responsible for terminating employees (when necessary; for cause and layoffs)
Established safety standards in accordance with FAA, OSHA, and corporate policies
PHR Certification
IPC Trainer certifications
Can be a fun and challenging work environment.
Senior Electronic Technician (Current Employee) –  Hope Hull, AlJune 25, 2013
Can be a fun and challenging work environment. Hard to advance internally. Low end of competitive salary.At times work environment can be hurry up and wait.
Good place to work.
Computer Assembler (Former Employee) –  Hope Hull, ALMay 22, 2013
Miltope was a good place to work. The climate controlled environment was comfortable. The employees were pleasant.