Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

lots of overtime
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 21, 2018
Very good management and easy to get along with. At this company there is overtime which is good when allowed. Hours are there summer or winter just as long as there is work.
Great Job!
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. I learned so much starting out there. A great company to work for with great benefits and good people to be around.
Help grow employees with in your company.
Lead Financial Auditor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 18, 2018
Hire managers who actually cares about their team and employees who report to them. Do not hand out management positions without prior managerial experience. Give training to manager without experience. Put them through Leadership training before they scared away company's experienced and loyal employees. Certification does not mean anything if you are not actually know what you are doing. Passing a test and obtaining a certification, should not weight, how smart and great leader the person is. Have 360 evaluation for your employees, across the company and take that feed back to heart and get reed of people who destroy the reputation of Vulcan Materials Company Inc.
Pros
Majority employees are great to work with and benefit is aw some.
Cons
Working remotely and flexible schedule should be the culture, in this day and age company like Vulcan should be able, to take steps like this to attract employees and, to keep the once they who are already are with the company, Promotion can go two ways it depends on if you, have a great manager who pay attention to your work, and performance or if you are convincing in front of management, even if you are a slacker and pass on your, work to others feels like some people gets promoted because, they know someone not for your job performance
It’s not what you know it’s who you know.
Area electrical (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARSeptember 17, 2018
My job title was area Electrician but electrical work was the one thing I did the least of. They didn’t want an electrician. What they wanted was a grunt to do all the same task as their entry level general support hands (greasing the plant, Manning high pressure water hoses to wash the plant down after shifts, general maintenance and repairs). Being a skilled professional meant nothing to them. The way thru saw it is the more you make the more hard physical labor you should have to do, regardless whether or not the task they want you to do has anything to do with electrical work or not. There were plenty of electrical projects that needed to be done but they were not interested in letting me do them. To them I was just another back and set of hands for the “lead men” to boss around so they wouldn’t have to do anything. If they would have simply allowed me to do the job I was hired to do I would have been perfectly happy working there but like I said electrical work that needed to be done seemed to be the last thing that interested them. That’s to be expected though when you have unskilled and uneducated people put into leadership roles just because they are buddies with the plant manager. If you are a good or even decent electrician, consider this your warning...run far, FAR away from this company unless you are trying to go to work for one of their large operations. At the larger plants, specialized employees actuallystick to their job scope and are not askedor forced to do things outside of their job description or pay grade. Other than the large operation exception, no  more... electrician worth his/her salt would ever even consider working for this company any longer than the time required to find a better job. You’ve been warned. Good luck!  less
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits
Cons
See my explanation
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 13, 2018
Good place to work, stay busy all year long with great plant managers but poor up keep and maintence on equipment and too far of a daily commute from Frankfort to Old Richmond Rd.
Pros
Good pay, great job security
Cons
Too far to drive daily
I loved working there and didn't plan on leaving but i couldn't move to day shift because I needed to for family purposes
Welder/fabricator/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Juliette GaSeptember 10, 2018
I loved the people,work environment, and the opportunities to do a lot of different things. The management was good and treated you well. Newer equipment and got you everything you needed to do your job safely
Pros
Cons
Hours
Great place to work but very little time off
Maintainence (Former Employee) –  Mill Creek, OKSeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work. Great people and work environment. Awesome benefits and retirement plan. A lot of room for advancement. Fast paced work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very little time off
Vulcan
Plant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNAugust 27, 2018
Vulcan Materials is a highly respected aggregated stone business, meeting the needs of road assistance and driveways all over the country. It is a pleasant place to work, and they treat you like family.
Pros
good benefits, great atmosphere
Cons
hard to get off work
Not my most favorite place to work
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 13, 2018
The hours were very long. Sometime you worked 14 to 16 hours a day. The leadership was not very good. Equipment was not very good and the customers were very hard to work with.
Benefits
Cons
Poor leadership
Fun and Challenging place to work
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sun Valley, CAAugust 13, 2018
Everybody was great at this location, would have loved to continued to work there. I was trained by a very well trainer & everybody was kind to me....
Pros
not too many employees in dispatch
Cons
In an actual landfill
Vulcan Materials is a great employer
Human Resources Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 5, 2018
Vulcan Materials is a great place to work for - always looking out for employee safety. The company offers very competitive compensation and benefits to the employees.
Getting to know drivers
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
a typical day at work was always moving fast with drivers and vendors coming in and going from faculty. getting to know the customers/clients as well as with the drivers.
Predictive
MAINTENANCE/MECHANIC MILLWRIGHT (Former Employee) –  Lake City, KYJuly 26, 2018
The Work place was a very productive company.
We worked hard got jobs done. I like to know that at the end of the day. completed all task given to me.
Pros
I like to work & do my best at every task.
Cons
I didn't think the insurance was that great.
Pleasant Atmosphere, Good people.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAJuly 26, 2018
A typical work day would consist of checking my section for safe operation before start up. Getting the days orders and preparing my section to deliver the product requested. Maintaining correct weights and measures. Keeping visual of gauges and conveyors for warning signs of potential trouble.
Pros
Pay and Compensation
Cons
Room for advancement is limited and even harder if good at current position.
Not for women
SHE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJuly 24, 2018
If you are a woman and really looking for equality avoid it. I worked harder and longer and put in 110% effort, and was treated poorly by my Plant manager, and it was constantly rumored of me doing wrong
The work is good but the management is lacking
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2018
There's always plenty of work to do so you're never really idle. The downside is a ton of it is self created due to poor communication among different areas.
Poor Management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2018
No room for advancement, poor communication between manager and employees. Typical work day, loading trucks, over 5,000 ton of material a day. Worked Monday thru Saturday's
benefits
Cons
management
Excellent company
Supervisor Accounts-payable/Payroll (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJuly 14, 2018
Provided advancement
Training and conferences
Latest tools in your area
Very personal relation oriented
Open to new ideas
Goodcommunications between departments
Pros
Employee interpersonal skills very important
Cons
Woek load
Ok
Vulcan material heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 12, 2018
Vulcan material was a nice company with great safty procedure and job opportunies. Vulcan materials lacked leadership and employee engagement but over all was decent job.
Great place to temp at
Construction Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 10, 2018
Typical day would be get there at 5, enter payroll, enter invoices, and answer any Human Resources questions the employees had. Was let go due to gal coming back from Maternity Leave.
Pros
Flexible hours, nice people
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vulcan Materials Company. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight