Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

Interesting industry
"Support Staff" (Current Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 19, 2018
If you're a workaholic, this is a good fit.

Recently the company moved most of the support staff from 100% paid company vehicle (an awesome perk) to a "FAVR" program (you put down money & finance a vehicle yourself). There is reimbursement & mileage paid.

If you put on lots of miles a month (which many people do), you will be buying a new (nearly new) car as soon as every 3 years.

Long timers (which there are many) say the company used to be a great place to work, now they say it's just "good" or like every other company.
Pros
Interesting industry
Cons
Just like every other company out there
Small job site, got along with everyone.
Equipment Operator, Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 11, 2019
Worked 10 to 12 hours a day, 60 to 70 hours a week then laid off in the winter. On a daily basis you would go in and complete your pre-trip inspections on all machinery and then start up the plant. This position required many different sets of skills to include driving truck, loader, and fabricating and welding.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
to many hours
It was a wonderful experience to work for Vulcan Material company. I fevoted 20 years and enjoyed my job as a front loader operator.
Front Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXNovember 14, 2018
Vulcan Material Company is a good company with great benefits. I would highly recommend it to others when the opportunity comes across. I am looking forward to working again as a front loader operator whenever their is a job offer in any company that has a job for me.
State of the Art Aggregates Company
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 5, 2018
The Las Colinas office is base for the North Texas Sales and Operations Management Teams. I support the VP/GM of Sales/Operations for North and West Texas. Located in the central United States we are a meeting place for executives from coast to coast. Hosting these meetings is an enjoyable part of my job. Great people make it easy.
The culture reflects safety, health, the environment and the commitment to communities. The quarries and rail yards are where the culture is reflected best.
The hardest part of my job is the solitude. I have learned; limited access to team members makes my job more challenging. Finding answers to questions can delay many task, I have to be vigilant with followup.
Pros
Great People and Beautiful Office
Cons
Being alone a lot, limited communication with my boss
Best internship experience I could have ever asked for
IT Internal Audit Intern (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2018
I spent 3 months working with the IT side of Vulcan's internal audit department, and I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity. I was never treated like an intern; I was treated like a full-time employee. The work was challenging, but fun to do. The people I had the opportunity to work with were amazing.
I loved working there and didn't plan on leaving but i couldn't move to day shift because I needed to for family purposes
Welder/fabricator/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Juliette GaSeptember 10, 2018
I loved the people,work environment, and the opportunities to do a lot of different things. The management was good and treated you well. Newer equipment and got you everything you needed to do your job safely
Pros
Cons
Hours
Productive place to work
General support (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 17, 2019
Nice place to work,good coworkers and competent management excellent benefits and stock options,weekly safety meetings to go over near misses and what could have been done to be more aware.
Pros
All the over time
Cons
Working outside in all types of weather
The job isn't hard,but you have to stay focused driving at night.
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Eastaboga, ALNovember 9, 2018
I like working for Vulcan Materials Inc because it's a team mission to excavate materials then build asphalt products and then pave streets, roads and major interstates.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
You dont work if the crews don't work.
Pleasant Atmosphere, Good people.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAJuly 26, 2018
A typical work day would consist of checking my section for safe operation before start up. Getting the days orders and preparing my section to deliver the product requested. Maintaining correct weights and measures. Keeping visual of gauges and conveyors for warning signs of potential trouble.
Pros
Pay and Compensation
Cons
Room for advancement is limited and even harder if good at current position.
productive
Haul Truck Driver/Grounds (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2018
Haul truck driver loading and loading from the pit to the crusher.
Load up train with material.
Move material to and from it stockpile area.
Diesel up truck service and maintence service truck.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
short lunch brakes
This company is too big and does not really care about employees.
Employee (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 21, 2018
This company does not really care about employees. It’s so big, all it wants is profits. The only good things about this company is the benefits. The pay is not competitive.
Benefits
Cons
Politics
Great Company.
Heavy Machine Operator/Scale Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2018
Great Company with great benefits. Only issue is during my 4 years here they changed management 3 times.Other than that its a great company with great benefits. Descent compensation
Pros
great insurance
Vulcan Materials is a good place to work it has a great safety record and they seem to care about you
Equipment mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 28, 2018
Vulcan Materials is a good company to work for and it has a a good safety rating they go above and beyond to keep employees safe and it is a good place to work
Great work environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 15, 2018
Wow I should have never left. It is a great, friendly company and all the employee's care for your well being and want you to succeed. I would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
Great hours, good management and benifits
Cons
I don't work there anymore
Temp employee
Credit Rep (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 26, 2018
I was hired as a temp employee to cover for Credit Rep that has been out on medical leave. I have worked 4 weeks and was hoping to be hired permanently but so far that hasn't happened.
Pros
good pay & nice atmosphere
Cons
temp
Productive and good work environment
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 15, 2018
Good Company, there's potential for growth, a lot of overtime, and good work environment. I learned a lot from co-workers, people were friendly & team players.
Pros
Free Lunches
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 13, 2018
Good place to work, stay busy all year long with great plant managers but poor up keep and maintence on equipment and too far of a daily commute from Frankfort to Old Richmond Rd.
Pros
Good pay, great job security
Cons
Too far to drive daily
Vulcan
Plant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNAugust 27, 2018
Vulcan Materials is a highly respected aggregated stone business, meeting the needs of road assistance and driveways all over the country. It is a pleasant place to work, and they treat you like family.
Pros
good benefits, great atmosphere
Cons
hard to get off work
Very busy
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNNovember 13, 2018
Harsh working environment poor attitudes from management. Long hours and no time at home. Working 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week gets old fast. No work/life balance needs more pay for the job
Great place to work but very little time off
Maintainence (Former Employee) –  Mill Creek, OKSeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work. Great people and work environment. Awesome benefits and retirement plan. A lot of room for advancement. Fast paced work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very little time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vulcan Materials Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight