Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

Family oriented
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calera, ALApril 17, 2018
If you show willingness to to learn and advance you will be paid accordingly if you want to act as if you know one job that’s how you’ll be paid Show you want more and go above and beyond for more money and advancement
Pros
Steady, benefits, good place to work
Cons
It’s a rock quarry you never know what time you are going to get off sometime
Good, then bad.
Night shift Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rapidan, VA 22733April 16, 2018
Working at Vulcan was a wonderful expericence until we received poor management and unskilled workers. Hours were a perfect fit for me at the time, but going from night shift to day shift put a toll on anyone's body.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor Managment
Productive but frustrating work environment.
QC Technician II (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXApril 8, 2018
I loved working for Vulcan materials. My day would begin at 6am and sometimes not end until 10 pm or later. Not much time for family life working there. The management was great until they made some changes then it went downhill.
Pros
Something different on a daily basis. Getting to work closely with TXDOT.
Cons
Not enough time for family.
An Amazing Experience
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 4, 2018
Vulcan Materials is an incredible place to work and I would find it difficult to find an employer that is better than Vulcan. It is truly one of the greatest companies in America.
Decent
Plant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Spicewood, TXMarch 28, 2018
Decent pay, no opportunity for advancement unless at the division or corporate office. No employee recognition. Great benefits and work environment. Would like to see more employee involvement from managers.
This was a great place to work.
Dispatcher from August through March (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 27, 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company. It was my real hope to get off the temp assignment and become a full time employee. I really liked having to use my brain to dispatch the least miles and least time for the most revenue. If this position were to come available again I would DEFINATELY apply for it instead of going through a temp agency. I enjoyed doing the paperwork and making sure it was kept up to date. It got me to meet the drivers who were wonderful even though some did not speak English I could always text or email in Spanish and they could get the points that they needed to across to me.
Pros
I was kept busy most of the day which I like.
Cons
Sometimes there were too little jobs but for the most part there were more than I could dispatch.
Excellent place to work
Manager, Federal and State Audits (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 20, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Vulcan Materials Company. Coworkers were terrific to work with. I felt like the management team was pro employee and very fair, yet intent on increasing shareholder value. I would definitely recommend this company as a great place to work.
Not a good place to work
Mixer driver (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 17, 2018
Employee harassment...rushed all the time ...They preach safety all the time and when something safety happens they look around it to get a load of concrete out.....management plays favoritism to certain drivers when it should be equal..if u want to advance forget it unless your the managers let oh I only made 34000 a yr and you never have a set schedule up all hours of the night 12-16 hrs a day n don't say your tired they don't care
Phoenix Office
Finance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2018
Really poor upper management in the Phoenix office, HR does not address issues that make the office stressful. Management allows certain people to run the office instead of making sure its fair. Language issues with the office, been reported and not addressed.
Pros
The company is great to work for, benefits and holidays
Cons
The Phoenix office needs corporate to assist in getting it in line
don't work here
Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXMarch 11, 2018
Management was a joke the equipment was garbage they held zero responsibility to the drivers for keeping cement off of the trucks most of the shops did not even have indoor plumbing
Pros
Cons
everything
Operations Trainee (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMarch 1, 2018
Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMarch 1, 2018
Assistant Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCMarch 1, 2018
A lot of good, hard working people on the operations team. Will help develop you through in house and offsite training. Opportunity for advancement based on willingness to learn.
Good place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 1, 2018
Not a bad place to work. Good benefits.

A lot of good, hard working people on the operations team.

Will help develop you through in-house training.
Productive, good work/life balance company.
Accountant/Fixed Assets (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 26, 2018
Vulcan is a great company that offers a great environment and benefits.

A typical work day was the professional yet laid-back environment with the ability to interacting with co-worker friends. This made work enjoyable and easy to manage. Management gave the responsibilities and trusted the employees to get the work done. Which created a good workplace culture. I learned a lot. I learned the software Oracle ERP across several departments i.e. Accounting, AR, AP, Fixed Assets, and Billing. I also worked with Peoplesoft and Imagenow. In addition to, managing a software database (Peoplesoft-Vesso). The company also offered annually an internal mentoring program, community relations opportunities and a network organization for women. The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to stay extra late during accounting closing and working some holidays due to the accounting schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was being able to resolve issues regarding my work, helping and directing people to policy and procedures to help with their jobs and the relationships built in the extended departments across the organization as well as in different divisions. Vulcan has the unique ability to choose good employees, which makes a huge difference in today's culture.
Great company and good place to work.
Plant Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, TNFebruary 22, 2018
I've always enjoyed my job at Vulcan Materials. It can be quite hectic at times, taking phone calls, writing tickets and helping walk in customers.

The employees are all really nice and helpful.
We sale aggregates so it's exciting to see a new place being built that we have sent rock too.

I enjoy meeting new customers and people all the time. We have quite a bit of salesmen and customers coming to the plant at all times.
Pros
You're mainly in the office by yourself most of the time.
Cons
you have to multi task all the time.
Left very sorrrowful
Environmental Specialist/QCQA (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 17, 2018
It is terrible how they treat senior employees. Hew management team could be a lot better. Loved the company until 2014 and everything just went to pot.
Stressful, cut throat, physically exhausting work
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 15, 2018
I have worked for 39 years, doing heavy equipment mechanic work.
This is very physical work and I am at the point in my life, I'm ready for something that isn't so physically exhausting. I am a very hard worker, i never miss time, i go above and beyond what I am expected to do.
Pros
Good compensation, benefits.
Cons
cut through big place, your a number type
Heavy Equipment Operator and Laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rivers, KYFebruary 9, 2018
stay away, pay is good hours vary, stab in the back, and then run you down to competition, conversation with federal inspectors are prohibited whether general talk or business. this is held against you and then your blackballed to hades an back!
Pros
money
Cons
hours and cut throat
Worst place ever
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, TNFebruary 7, 2018
No work - life balance, you have to do the work of 4 people, no help, no training ! Vulcan Corp. Management knows nothing about the Heavy Highway Construction Industry. You will be stepped on. Don't go there, find another job.
Benefits
Cons
Everthing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vulcan Materials Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight