Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2018
No room for advancement, poor communication between manager and employees. Typical work day, loading trucks, over 5,000 ton of material a day. Worked Monday thru Saturday's
benefits
Cons
management
Excellent company
Supervisor Accounts-payable/Payroll (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJuly 14, 2018
Provided advancement
Training and conferences
Latest tools in your area
Very personal relation oriented
Open to new ideas
Goodcommunications between departments
Pros
Employee interpersonal skills very important
Cons
Woek load
Ok
Vulcan material heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 12, 2018
Vulcan material was a nice company with great safty procedure and job opportunies. Vulcan materials lacked leadership and employee engagement but over all was decent job.
Great place to temp at
Construction Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 10, 2018
Typical day would be get there at 5, enter payroll, enter invoices, and answer any Human Resources questions the employees had. Was let go due to gal coming back from Maternity Leave.
Pros
Flexible hours, nice people
Cons
no cons
Working with learn more
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 6, 2018
It is good to work on that environment. Dealing with Dealers, Dispatchers and other channel partners. It was nice experience and learn more.Nice place to work.
Lead Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sprigfield, VaJune 26, 2018
Stable company, good pay and benefits. A very safety conscious company. Want to make sure safety is priority with every employee. A very good place to work.
very typical
Ready Mix Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
work was good then soon as summer starts when it should be more work we got less and less work and hours and only the top 6 driver got 40 a week were if you were new you get the short end of the stick
Pros
great co-works
Cons
no good hours
all-around.good job
Mixer Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 11, 2018
proud to be in the construction industry! foundations come first.
Enjoyed serving the customers, Hanging out with co-workers after hours. For about 36 years.....Thank you Vulcan!
Pros
didn't have to take time off for lunch
Cons
too much overtime, ( that's just me ) I got paid for the cons. T guess I should have said, " no cons"
good company poor pay and advancement
Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 5, 2018
good people, no advancement and horrible pay. Learned a lot about industry, helped to launch career, great stepping stone. Management weak and could use a refresh.
Pros
good people
Cons
advancement and pay
Long hours and unsafe conditions
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 30, 2018
Long hours driving the same routes. Unsafe conditions. Pay was good only because of overtime. According to management was not able to leave for lunch. Had to take small breaks and bring own food.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks, bad management
hard work/long hours
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Harford County, MDMay 18, 2018
no breaks...no lunch...long hours...no family time. the hardest part of the job was being in my truck for 12 hours a day with no breaks or lunch. the best part of the job were my coworkers.
Pros
paid well with good benefits
Cons
to many hours
Great company
laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rivers, KYMay 11, 2018
Great paying job. Fair hours and management. Great advancement opportunities. Fair time off. Great benefits. Loved every minute of my job. Wish I could go back
Pros
Great benefits and environment
Cons
Lay offs
Last resort job
General Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Prince George, VAApril 29, 2018
This is the last place you want to work. Poor management and a dead end job. Pay is way below average for this area. You will be over worked and under paid.
Family oriented
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calera, ALApril 17, 2018
If you show willingness to to learn and advance you will be paid accordingly if you want to act as if you know one job that’s how you’ll be paid Show you want more and go above and beyond for more money and advancement
Pros
Steady, benefits, good place to work
Cons
It’s a rock quarry you never know what time you are going to get off sometime
Good, then bad.
Night shift Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rapidan, VA 22733April 16, 2018
Working at Vulcan was a wonderful expericence until we received poor management and unskilled workers. Hours were a perfect fit for me at the time, but going from night shift to day shift put a toll on anyone's body.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor Managment
Productive but frustrating work environment.
QC Technician II (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXApril 8, 2018
I loved working for Vulcan materials. My day would begin at 6am and sometimes not end until 10 pm or later. Not much time for family life working there. The management was great until they made some changes then it went downhill.
Pros
Something different on a daily basis. Getting to work closely with TXDOT.
Cons
Not enough time for family.
An Amazing Experience
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 4, 2018
Vulcan Materials is an incredible place to work and I would find it difficult to find an employer that is better than Vulcan. It is truly one of the greatest companies in America.
Decent
Plant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Spicewood, TXMarch 28, 2018
Decent pay, no opportunity for advancement unless at the division or corporate office. No employee recognition. Great benefits and work environment. Would like to see more employee involvement from managers.
This was a great place to work.
Dispatcher from August through March (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 27, 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company. It was my real hope to get off the temp assignment and become a full time employee. I really liked having to use my brain to dispatch the least miles and least time for the most revenue. If this position were to come available again I would DEFINATELY apply for it instead of going through a temp agency. I enjoyed doing the paperwork and making sure it was kept up to date. It got me to meet the drivers who were wonderful even though some did not speak English I could always text or email in Spanish and they could get the points that they needed to across to me.
Pros
I was kept busy most of the day which I like.
Cons
Sometimes there were too little jobs but for the most part there were more than I could dispatch.
Excellent place to work
Manager, Federal and State Audits (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 20, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Vulcan Materials Company. Coworkers were terrific to work with. I felt like the management team was pro employee and very fair, yet intent on increasing shareholder value. I would definitely recommend this company as a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vulcan Materials Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight