Vulcan Materials Company Employee Reviews

The job isn't hard,but you have to stay focused driving at night.
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Eastaboga, ALNovember 9, 2018
I like working for Vulcan Materials Inc because it's a team mission to excavate materials then build asphalt products and then pave streets, roads and major interstates.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
You dont work if the crews don't work.
State of the Art Aggregates Company
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 5, 2018
The Las Colinas office is base for the North Texas Sales and Operations Management Teams. I support the VP/GM of Sales/Operations for North and West Texas. Located in the central United States we are a meeting place for executives from coast to coast. Hosting these meetings is an enjoyable part of my job. Great people make it easy.
The culture reflects safety, health, the environment and the commitment to communities. The quarries and rail yards are where the culture is reflected best.
The hardest part of my job is the solitude. I have learned; limited access to team members makes my job more challenging. Finding answers to questions can delay many task, I have to be vigilant with followup.
Pros
Great People and Beautiful Office
Cons
Being alone a lot, limited communication with my boss
dont know how to fix things
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Stockbridge, GANovember 3, 2018
they do not know what is going on at the plant. Good for entry level employee. Would not go back to stockbridge all about looks not fixing things thats all
Fun job
Plant Office Administrative (Current Employee) –  Helotes, TXOctober 24, 2018
Great company, I would refer this employer to anyone, great supervisor and staff. Keeps you busy and you will learn at this position and staff is helpful.
No comment
Small Business Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 22, 2018
Bad management at the local level. Preferential treatment given to customers based on whether you are liked by management. No clear direction from management.
Best internship experience I could have ever asked for
IT Internal Audit Intern (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2018
I spent 3 months working with the IT side of Vulcan's internal audit department, and I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity. I was never treated like an intern; I was treated like a full-time employee. The work was challenging, but fun to do. The people I had the opportunity to work with were amazing.
A company to grow old with
Operations (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 15, 2018
A company with a good insurance and benefits plan. It is resistance to change and can quickly turn into a career requiring endurance and little to no enjoyment.
Great work environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 15, 2018
Wow I should have never left. It is a great, friendly company and all the employee's care for your well being and want you to succeed. I would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
Great hours, good management and benifits
Cons
I don't work there anymore
great company
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2018
great company to work for . Amazing benefits, great employees.
very dirty job. Long work hrs. About 10 to 12 hour days.
Management is amazing and safety is always first.
Maintenance technician
Laboror (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILOctober 3, 2018
worked for them and maintained trucks.boss was cordial but there was not enough hours available..would still be working for the company had they offered a 40 hour work week
Vulcan Materials is a good place to work it has a great safety record and they seem to care about you
Equipment mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 28, 2018
Vulcan Materials is a good company to work for and it has a a good safety rating they go above and beyond to keep employees safe and it is a good place to work
lots of overtime
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 21, 2018
Very good management and easy to get along with. At this company there is overtime which is good when allowed. Hours are there summer or winter just as long as there is work.
Great Job!
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. I learned so much starting out there. A great company to work for with great benefits and good people to be around.
Help grow employees with in your company.
Lead Financial Auditor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 18, 2018
Hire managers who actually cares about their team and employees who report to them. Do not hand out management positions without prior managerial experience. Give training to manager without experience. Put them through Leadership training before they scared away company's experienced and loyal employees. Certification does not mean anything if you are not actually know what you are doing. Passing a test and obtaining a certification, should not weight, how smart and great leader the person is. Have 360 evaluation for your employees, across the company and take that feed back to heart and get reed of people who destroy the reputation of Vulcan Materials Company Inc.
Pros
Majority employees are great to work with and benefit is aw some.
Cons
Working remotely and flexible schedule should be the culture, in this day and age company like Vulcan should be able, to take steps like this to attract employees and, to keep the once they who are already are with the company, Promotion can go two ways it depends on if you, have a great manager who pay attention to your work, and performance or if you are convincing in front of management, even if you are a slacker and pass on your, work to others feels like some people gets promoted because, they know someone not for your job performance
It’s not what you know it’s who you know.
Area electrical (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARSeptember 17, 2018
My job title was area Electrician but electrical work was the one thing I did the least of. They didn’t want an electrician. What they wanted was a grunt to do all the same task as their entry level general support hands (greasing the plant, Manning high pressure water hoses to wash the plant down after shifts, general maintenance and repairs). Being a skilled professional meant nothing to them. The way thru saw it is the more you make the more hard physical labor you should have to do, regardless whether or not the task they want you to do has anything to do with electrical work or not. There were plenty of electrical projects that needed to be done but they were not interested in letting me do them. To them I was just another back and set of hands for the “lead men” to boss around so they wouldn’t have to do anything. If they would have simply allowed me to do the job I was hired to do I would have been perfectly happy working there but like I said electrical work that needed to be done seemed to be the last thing that interested them. That’s to be expected though when you have unskilled and uneducated people put into leadership roles just because they are buddies with the plant manager. If you are a good or even decent electrician, consider this your warning...run far, FAR away from this company unless you are trying to go to work for one of their large operations. At the larger plants, specialized employees actuallystick to their job scope and are not askedor forced to do things outside of their job description or pay grade. Other than the large operation exception, no  more... electrician worth his/her salt would ever even consider working for this company any longer than the time required to find a better job. You’ve been warned. Good luck!  less
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits
Cons
See my explanation
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 13, 2018
Good place to work, stay busy all year long with great plant managers but poor up keep and maintence on equipment and too far of a daily commute from Frankfort to Old Richmond Rd.
Pros
Good pay, great job security
Cons
Too far to drive daily
I loved working there and didn't plan on leaving but i couldn't move to day shift because I needed to for family purposes
Welder/fabricator/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Juliette GaSeptember 10, 2018
I loved the people,work environment, and the opportunities to do a lot of different things. The management was good and treated you well. Newer equipment and got you everything you needed to do your job safely
Pros
Cons
Hours
Great place to work but very little time off
Maintainence (Former Employee) –  Mill Creek, OKSeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work. Great people and work environment. Awesome benefits and retirement plan. A lot of room for advancement. Fast paced work environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very little time off
Vulcan
Plant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greeneville, TNAugust 27, 2018
Vulcan Materials is a highly respected aggregated stone business, meeting the needs of road assistance and driveways all over the country. It is a pleasant place to work, and they treat you like family.
Pros
good benefits, great atmosphere
Cons
hard to get off work
Not my most favorite place to work
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 13, 2018
The hours were very long. Sometime you worked 14 to 16 hours a day. The leadership was not very good. Equipment was not very good and the customers were very hard to work with.
Benefits
Cons
Poor leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vulcan Materials Company. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight