VVS CANTEEN Employee Reviews

Hired another employee right over the top of me...
Count Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 16, 2018
Applied for and was hired to work in Lincoln Nebraska count room. Training began mid-week on a Thursday, next week I started on a Monday. Was trained on the basics, Tuesday I was given more responsibility. Wednesday all training stopped, Thursday they walked me out the door. Told me I was doing an excellent job but they needed to move in a different direction. Turns out the current count-room manager squeezed one of her close personal friends in through the hiring process, bypassed all the applicable hiring routines and had me fired.

The amazing part is the count room manager was quitting and she had no intention of leaving. Doing something like this was just beyond any form of decency, and it reflects poorly on the manager that allowed it to happen, as well as the manager who signed off on it. Hopefully that new count-manager works out because they will have a very difficult time hiring someone else if that's the sort of game they play.

And from what I've found out from other folks that work there, this is in fact normal operating procedure. People at the Lincoln facility are terrified that they could be hired-over without warning at any time.

Overall, had they not done that it WOULD HAVE BEEN A NICE PLACE TO WORK. Salary was decent, hours were fair and the commute was less than three miles.
Pros
Hours, Salary
Cons
Management, Hiring Practice
Great work environment
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Morgan, COAugust 28, 2018
I enjoyed working with my peers as well as the Manager! The environment was fairly relaxed. The customers were easy to please and cooperated the majority of the time.
First job out of college
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cozad, NE 69130July 26, 2018
My job consisted of hiring and recruiting employees to work in a dozen of our different canteen service locations. This including phone screening, traveling, and hiring. I also assisted with safety training and implementing other company policies and processes.
Vending operator
Vending Attendant (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJune 4, 2018
Maintain the product levels of pepsi, coke, and various food vending machines. Also manage the inventory of all the soda pop and snacks for the cafeteria.

Scan the machines with my hand held computer to update and manage the inventory
Maintain the quality of the machines by performing weekly tasks on them
Stock/perform duties on the machines daily
Manage the inventory levels and order weekly
Inventory completed monthly
It was a OK Job.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbus Jct, IAMay 23, 2018
I cooked, served food, and cleaned. Mangers were good. The pay could have been better. But the job was easy. The hardest part would have been serving food at a fast pace manner.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Got bleach on clothes.
Fast paced
KITCHEN SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Perry, IAMay 7, 2018
Fun place to work , very fast paced , customers are a joy to be around . I think the area manager should give a little appreciation of all of our hard work .
Pros
$5 meals each day
Cons
Pay and schedule always changed
Low pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 2, 2018
How is one to live off $8.75 a hour.. It’s a shame that we cook, clean for the Tyson employees and are paid so little because of a union.. No one is going to kill them self for a job like that.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pay is not good
Love working at VVS
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cozad, NEFebruary 11, 2018
I love working at VVS Canteen! Management is great, steady pace, family oriented but I get to work with several different areas of the company around the midwest.
It's Okay
Pool Table Recover Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 3, 2018
It was a good place to work. I worked part time and was able to set my own hours. Got to travel from bar to bar to work when I was underage so that was kind of cool.
Fast paced and creative
Cook (Current Employee) –  Columbus Junction, IADecember 2, 2017
It's a good job. Pay is decent considering that about half of the time your very busy then slow. Some days are stressful just like any other job. If you like cooking, baking or customer service it's a pretty decent job. I've been with VSS for a few years and don't have any plans on leaving. Management is good. Worked with a few better and worked with a LOT worse at other jobs. If I were to rate my job I would say 8.5 out of 10.
Pros
Fast, easy work
Fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbus Jct, IAOctober 3, 2017
I loved this place because it was close to home and had a very good environment, I would get along with all co-workers. Management was very rude and unprofessional
Pros
free lunches
Cons
didnt pay enough and actually you will need to begg them for a raise
Its an ok place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NEAugust 21, 2017
Worked there for about a year and moved up really quickly. Had a lot of people trying to help me with the management experience but I couldn't handle the stress.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Stressful
Very good environment
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Columbus Junction, IAAugust 3, 2017
A good place to work, if you content with lil pay, they will not give you a raise unless you FIGHT for it, manager was very rude and unprofessional, every time someone called in sick, he was in a very bad mood n throwing things around and cuzing about everything, the co-workers are very good people, but I will not recommend this place at all, after working there for two years, I realized it was a waste of time.
Pros
free food
Cons
low pay rate and insurance premiums very expensive
It was a fun work environment that allowed me to interact with many different people.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJanuary 23, 2017
I enjoyed my time at this company and enjoyed my work. The customers were friendly, the moral of the company was always up, and I enjoyed coming to work everyday.
Pros
Great customer interaction
productive
cashier/saladbar (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 27, 2016
really liked some of the people I worked with.im still friends with and talk to most of the I worked .I liked the hours but didn't like always having to work on saturdays
Pretty good place to work.
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 28, 2013
A typical day at work includes loading the vending products onto your truck, driving to each individual stop and filling their machines. After you are done with your last stop, you go back to the warehouse and unload the rest of your truck. The good part about this job is the sooner you start your day, the sooner you get done with it.
my job at VVS
Vendor (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 29, 2012
My job was to fill all vendings mechines and help with trash. Except for the management, I worked well with all my co-workers. There was nothing wrong with the job. The new manager just was making it harder and harder to get alone with her. I enjoyed my job until the new manager took over.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care and 15 mins. breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VVS CANTEEN. Our community is ready to answer.