W. L. Gore & Associates Employee Reviews

Leadership
Area Lead (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMay 18, 2019
The company has very good compensation. But the managers had lack of knowledge on how to handle people and situations. They provided people who wanted over time the opportunity to take it.
Very family oriented and great work/life balance
Sponsor Brenda Robison (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 24, 2019
Great opportunity to be brought in as a contracted worker. People are extremely nice and great to work with. I enjoy learning new commitments and going to work every day. Great environment
Pros
Cons
Always hires within. As a contracted employee very slim chance to be hired on
Fun environment, management is well oragianzed
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDApril 9, 2019
Inspected material on 3rd shift, 11pm-7am. 2 15 min breaks one half hour lunch. Fast paced work but also has to be correct. We were the second to last people to inspect before material was sent out
Pros
People, works easy
Cons
Hours (3rd shift)
Great people and work life balance
New Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDApril 7, 2019
This is s great place to work. There is a strong focus on personal development and mobility to different functions. The are 15+ plants within a 20 minutes drive, covering all 3 divisions. A great technology focused company.
blank blank blank
Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDApril 6, 2019
Well, it was a fun place to work at once you know how to ignore all the negative people around you. They pay based on school you graduated at. Oh and if your a male or female. TRUST ME! We proved it. Close minded management. If your liked by the VP you will have fun if the VP dislikes you be ready to face a wall and be thrown scraps. DONT expect a dollar raise they just give cents! Great ideas? Keep them to your …
Was a team effort and team environment
V Soft Staff (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDApril 1, 2019
A typical day started with smiles and an eagerness to learn more, preparation to the day meetings.
I learned JD Edwards, Notes, Ecommerce systems. Everyone was helpful, approachable, kind, team efforts outstanding. Although I was there on a temporary contract the co-workers included me made me feel part of a team, I was very hard leaving WL Gore. The hardest part of the job was not making mistakes while in training and on the job.
Pros
Training was outstanding
Cons
No toleration for mistakes.
cool place
Manufacturing Parts Handler/Processor (Former Employee) –  Avondale, PAMarch 30, 2019
i worked night shift and it was actually very nice. the teams around 5 people and we just handle parts in the provided containers. everything was all on the table for you. it was a very laid back job
Busy schedules every day
NPD Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZFebruary 8, 2019
Company is best suited to new recruits/grads coming out of school. If you have any work experience outside of the Gore culture, you will likely have difficulty adapting to the company.
Productive work enviroment
Medical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 5, 2019
Fun working here always busy. Time flies and opportunities to grow.they care about their employee, 6 month prior of getting converted to permanent employee.
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDJanuary 31, 2019
Generally a great place to work:
- The culture is pretty good, the lattice structure stuff obviously isn't 100% realized but it's much better than having a defined manager or boss above you
- The benefits are great, I've been able to be saving nearly 20% of my salary towards retirement yearly with their package
- The location is probably the biggest downside, the eastern cluster is located kind of middle of nowhere in DE/MD, but it's reasonable to commute from Philadelphia if you want to live somewhere more exciting
- You're given a lot of responsibility and job security, both a pro and a con because that translates to a pretty large backlog of projects waiting to get done, but other projects may be more urgent and requiring all hands on deck
Good company but the culture takes some getting used to...
Strategic Marketing (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 29, 2019
Marketing is still a new function for the company, and they still haven't figured out exactly what is Marketing's role. Many typical marketing functions are managed by other departments/functions including sales forecasting, inventory management/forecasting, voice of customer inputs, etc. If you can manage that, the biggest hurdle is navigating the who's who at Gore. With no formal structure (flat organization) it can be very difficult finding someone to make a decision.
Pros
work remotely
Cons
navigating the culture
Great company to work for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 21, 2019
Great company to work for. It offers opportunity to grow. Work /life balance if promoted at all level of the company. The benefits are great at all levels of the organization.
Pros
lower level employee have a say in decision making.
Cons
It takes time to make decision.
Good Place to work
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDJanuary 21, 2019
Gore is a good place to work. They offer competitive pay and great benefits. The culture is meant to be well but it still follows a lot fo the old beliefs. I would recommend working here to people as it is very sturdy job and can have job advancements if you know the right people
Losing the culture that made it unique and fun.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 19, 2018
Gore is struggling to adapt to a changing environment and appears to be stuck between maintaining it's original culture and developing a new culture to be competitive in the market. Upper level leadership is mainly developed from within and unwilling to change. There is a push to promote inexperienced, young employees to lower/mid level leadership positions. This can create a risk averse environment slowing down innovation and creativity. Often times experienced people are brought in from the outside only to be ignored by long term Gore management. The values that existed there years ago appear to be vanishing.

On a positive note, there are pockets where you see many aspects of the culture practiced and thriving. This gives you hope that the pendulum will swing back and incorporate many of the beliefs that the founders had in mind.
Pros
Adapting to a flexible work schedule
Cons
Losing sight of what made Gore unique and a great place to work.
Manufacturing
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDNovember 15, 2018
Vacation time was ok, nice to have the option to buy a week of additional time. Little to no advancement. Management did not practice the culture very well.
family environment
I&E Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 6, 2018
Great place when it was open. W. L. Gore always kept the maximum number of employees to two hundred . This is a good thing for employees, but looking back, it means less consolidation of talent (under utilization)
Pros
team work
Cons
closed the factory
Challenging company culture
North American Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEOctober 18, 2018
GORE has a very unique company culture. It is a culture of being comfortable where employees are able to stay in their current roles for long periods of time. This is good and bad. Good from a stability standpoint and bad from an advancement standpoint for employees who are looking to advance their career
A great place to work!
Comfort Scientist (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDOctober 11, 2018
My 26 years at Gore were rewarding and fulfilling, the core principles of freedom and fairness allowed me to grow in experience and contribution throughout my time at Gore, I'm proud to have been a Gore Associate!
Outsourcing everything
Enterprise Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2018
My position was represented as contract to hire and a few months after my contract began the decision was made to outsource my position after a new hardware vendor was selected. I spend my days monitoring hardware and waiting for trouble tickets I can resolve to come in. They have provided some training on current and new products which allowed me to acquire new certifications.
Pros
Training, flexible hours
Cons
Short term
Great place to work overall, but varying culture.
Manufacturing Trainer (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 26, 2018
I worked in Phoenix and Flagstaff plants and the cultures were very different. In Flagstaff, I felt respected and that my skills were valued; however, in Phoenix I was told that I needed to "put in my dues". ( I had already worked for the company for over 5 years when I was told this.). Needless to say it had put a bad taste in my mouth. I would not recommend working in manufacturing in Phoenix. I loved everything about the Flagstaff plants. Great culture, management that listened, my voice was heard and I was given a chance to run with my ideas for continuous improvement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at W. L. Gore & Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight