W. R. Grace & Co. Employee Reviews

Fair pay but no advancement options
TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDOctober 7, 2018
The pay, hours, and time off are reasonable for salary employees. Management unfortunately is afraid to make decisions or offend anyone at the Curtis Bay facilities.

This can mean it is very hard to get fired but most over-qualified employees move on. Management wont punish poor work or reward good work.

If you are not ambitious and would be okay with receive average compensation for any level of work then you can consider this company.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
No recongition
Poor management, cur throat
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2018
Trust no one, cut throat environment. Management is promoted because they have been there a long time not for skills and leadership qualities. Site is old and run down. Needs a major facelift. Dirty and dangerous.
Pros
6% match 401k
Cons
Management and buildings are old and run down
A company with good benefits
Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2018
It is a good place to work for. There was a gym on site for employees. The benefits offered by the company were very good (401K matching 6% + pension).
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Great learning environment
Quality Analysis Lab Technician Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Great place to work if you want to stay in the industrial chemistry field. They have lots of instrumentation and the people are nice for the most part. Just do your job well and communicate effectively when anything goes wrong with a product. Let the manager know asap so that things don't get out of hand.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Long work days 12 hour shifts
good place to work
MULTI-CRAFT MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Irondale, ALAugust 28, 2018
long standing company with good values and management
cares about the employees and provides good benefits
wants the employees to advance and learn .
I was a consultant for a short time
Systems Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLAugust 16, 2018
I was a consultant/temporary worker for about 6 months. I worked in the technology depart, my responsibilities was testing a new email system. I learned a lot and improved my technical writing skills
Safe workplace
Retired (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INAugust 10, 2018
I am no longer working there. It was a decent paying job that allowed me to work without supervision and also work as a team with others.
I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Bad leadership
Make a Choice for Your Future
GMP Leader K-1 (Former Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDAugust 7, 2018
I learned how to become a young professional while at W R Grace. I was mentored by the best to use unique combinations of business management and laboratory technical skills in the workplace. The culture was fast paced but fun. I learned to adapt quickly by combining innovative technology with solid business principles daily. The hardest part of the job was not to take anything personal. It forced me to become a skilled analyst with strong organizational and communication abilities. I can work with anyone and use proven leadership qualities to reach deadlines.I grown to be an effective manager with skills necessary to direct, train, and motivate staff to fullest potential.
Pros
Grace was an effective think tank
Cons
I have nothing negative to say about W R Grace Inc.
Pride themselves on being LEAN and love process for process' sake!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 31, 2018
I am an advocate of process and controlling outcomes, but at a point, it just goes too far, but chemical engineers are quite happy. However, this approach stifles employee creativity and keeps an organization from being the best it can be.
Really great interesting company
Production Artist Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 30, 2018
Corporate culture was really great, very professional atmosphere, safety was a top priority and management was friendly and accessible, people seemed happy to be at work and generally smiled. A good place to work.
Pros
Pretty much everything
Cons
I wasn't able to extend my contract
Culture change needed
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 22, 2018
1. Weak management that disciplines everything instead of working with employees to earn trust.
2. Poor safety culture (bottom quartile execution, enforcement and ownership by management and operations)
3. Cut-throat peers that throw you under bus at every opportunity.
4. Poor business management, execution and accounting practices.
5. Bullying culture at all levels.
6. Bottom quartile environmental performance.
7. Weak "HR department". Seek to assign blame instead of solving problems.
8. Weak off-site upper managers that do not understand how the facility works or understand reasonable expectations from operations.
9. General incompetence, apathy and lack of drive for improving operations.

Don't work here. High turnover for anyone less than 10 years experience at facility. Apathy sets in quick with new employees. Employees are either looking out the door for better opportunity or succumb to the apathy, minimum effort and status-quo culture. No drive for excellence.
Package material
Die head operator (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILApril 27, 2018
Good pay terrible manager and supervisor s . Cut throat culture with employees stepping on each other for benefits. Management doesn't care about employees only job orders. Treated like a slave
Concrete Admixtures
Environmental Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAApril 18, 2018
business has completely changes and has been whittled down to a shell of it's former self. They are now named different companies and were broken up to different companies.
A lot of quality time off.
Chemical Operator 1st Class (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 5, 2018
Good pay, good benefits, and a lot of time off for you to enjoy with your family. A pleasant work environment with safety as one of their top priorities. A cafeteria so you can have hot meals.
WR Grace sold out to another owner
Monitor operator (Former Employee) –  Enoree, SCFebruary 26, 2018
Had to be able to lift 75lbs at any time. Learned to be multi-tasker. Co-workers were fun and easy going. Best part of this job was getting to go home after 12 hrs.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Company sold out
Fun place to work
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 26, 2018
W.R. Grace is a chemical company, but has many great opportunities within the entire company. As the facilities manager, I was given many responsibilities, but always had someone there to help me out.
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2018
The management was typically populated with longtime people who were not educated diploma wise to be in the position being held. This allowed for poor advancement of the folks who were educated because the managers did not understand their degrees of the people they were in charge of.
We did great work there but there was little chance for advancement
Maintenance and Reliability Leader (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2018
Grace had good compensation and benefits. They good products with a good leading position is many of their markets Management was stagnant. There was little movement between plants and little chance for advancement.
very productive
Senior chemical field operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2018
a typical day was fast past, I learned that team work was very important. the work place culture was very professional, and the hardest part of the job was keeping eys on the product processes and spotting possible problems that could cause down time. the enjoyable part of the job was working as a team.
Pros
rewards for a good days work
Cons
eating on the fly.
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 3, 2018
Plenty of growth opportunity. Great benefits. Lots of traveling. Co-workers were interesting and supportive. Family environment. Team environment. Supports many charities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at W. R. Grace & Co.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.