Waddell & Reed Employee Reviews

Home office employee
Employee (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 22, 2019
Have watched the company slowly decline. Seems to be a revolving door lately. Company can’t retain strong, smart and talented employees. Rarely room for employee growth or promotions. Management tends to offer meaningful raises and promotions when employees resign and by then it’s usually too late. Benefits are diminishing, while hr/executive management waste that money on shiny distractions like video games and pool tables. It is a challenge to accomplish any meaningful projects. Overall employees are kind to each other and have a family-minded mentality.
Pros
Employees and colleagues
Cons
Firm is more interested in pleasing stockholders vs stakeholders
Good place to work for the most part
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 4, 2019
It was a good place to work. I had a lot of responsibilities. Things changed a lot during my time there due to advances in technology, etc. A typical day included processing of paperwork, answering phones, greeting clients, maintaining office supplies and machines. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult situations/ people. Enjoyed being able to work on my own for the most part at my own pace.
Pros
Several paid holidays, personal time off, sick days
Cons
No breaks, occasional personality conflicts with people
Used to be awesome, but....
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSFebruary 3, 2019
This company used to be great! Most of the people that kept the culture of W&R are gone now. For some reason we have hired a ton of people in HR that bring zero assets in and they are changing the culture and not in a good way. Everything that made W&R great is gone now. Ask anyone that has been there for 10 years or more and they will tell you the same thing. I could go on and on, just be careful if you accept a job there Leadership is clueless!
Benefits
Cons
Bad leadership, destroying a good culture.
Best job I've ever had
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 3, 2019
I spent six months at WDR, and it was incredible. Everyone I worked with wanted me to succeed, helped me when I had questions, and was always happy to help.

I've never been in the financial field before, so it was a lot of information to take in, plus having to get a license in finance. It can be very overwhelming at the beginning, but it's completely worth it if you can pass the first hurdle.
Pros
Great work environment, kind and friendly management, easy upward movement, promotes from within
Cons
Training is a LOT of knowledge all at once
Don't bother
AVP- Investment Research-Business Development (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 24, 2019
Worst Place to Work. No direction, poor leadership. Executives only care about themselves. No focus on the end client. They pay well but no ethics at all.
Enjoyed working with the people!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSJanuary 23, 2019
Workplace culture was paper intensive, very strict structure on solutions that could be offered to client and process to get an exception was very time consuming.
Pros
Great people, integrity and skill set were very strong
Cons
Too much paperwork, product offering too restrictive.
The hardest part of the job
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CADecember 13, 2018
I appreciate autonomy, but not at the cost of swimming alone. All people who are in a customer advisory capacity have to maintain independence. My first manager offered strong balance, but he was replaced with another that essentially deflated our balloons. I did not prosper under ineffective management.
Pros
Internal product line strength
Cons
Managerial coaching
always enjoyed working here
assistant to the District Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CADecember 4, 2018
this placed provided a professional and structured environment which helped the people within the company to thrive. the pay here was fair and the parking was never an issue.
typical financial services company focused on sales
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDNovember 14, 2018
Financial services is a game of fleecing money from your client with a smile. You face little to no risk and the client bears it all.
If you like that, you'll love this industry.

Even the insurance industry has a better attitude than this as it is a game of risk management. Sometime you win wo/ it, sometimes you loose.
A client centered company that is under recognized.
Sales representative and manager (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDNovember 9, 2018
The company offers quality services and products. The client focus has remained a primary principle with the company. Representatives are well trained and knowledgable.
Pros
Opportunity for very good income
Cons
Difficult to get started on strait commission.
Commission work
Registered Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 2, 2018
Strictly commission; no base pay. Must be comfortable makinf dozens of cold calls each day. Job is advertised as a investment representative job, but is really a sales job.
Pros
Good products and commissions
Cons
Your income can fluctuate wildly.
Valuable
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIOctober 25, 2018
My experience working at Waddell and Reed was valuable. Many take away both personally and professionally. Lots to learn about financial health and stability.
Not beginning advisors
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 19, 2018
Waddell & Reed is a great company with great tools, just not a pay structure for beginning advisors. 100% commission, no salary or draw. Pay for your own benefits
Pros
Freedom to work hours you want
Cons
No salary
Waddell & Reed
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Greater Grand Rapids, MISeptember 29, 2018
Waddell & Reed had an excellent career on-boarding program but last year there was major structure change that has forced newer advisors out the door.
Pros
Schedule Flexibility, Entrepreneurship
Cons
No Capital to start, undesirable goals, not for new advisors
A diverse envornment moving from waterfall to SCRUM methods.
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSAugust 28, 2018
I hired on to Lead programming teams. Began with two development teams and finished with multiple programming teams and QA teams. Managed off shore teams onsite and off site. Obtained experience with process of moving 440 applications off the mainframe to distributed. Supported movement to Software as a Service (SaaS).
Pros
solid company
Cons
Constant overtime, lack of good processes
Working as a janitor meant I cleaned the office during non-office hours on the weekend.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAAugust 23, 2018
Waddell & Reed was a great place to work as a janitor for a first job to have just a bit of extra spending money in high school. I was able to have a flexible weekend schedule and my boss was very kind and generous.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
few hours
Assoc . Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSAugust 15, 2018

Good benefits

Employees are helpful and great to work with

I would recommend this place to a friend

Great location to work, very flexible.
nice,easy, stress-free
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNAugust 12, 2018
I was paid great.
The job wasn't hard.
I was only working for the summer and really enjoyed the workplace and environment.
I've never had a problem with anything over there.
The employers were friendly.
Pros
good pay, no stress
Cons
same continous thing
highly intellectual, very challenging, team oriented, professional
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 2, 2018
Coordinated schedules for account executives on a daily basis. Input data into CRM. Followed FINRA guidelines, company policies, procedures and adhered to maintaining confidential time sensitive information. Update books and records, clients information daily.
Retention of current clients through persuasive conversation achieved. Follow up and confirmation handled daily. Ability to problem solve. Verify and confirm confidential information
Pros
Terrific environment working with highly intellectual financial information
Cons
not being able to always reach clients who either had passed or were not available.
Out of control
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 1, 2018
The massive changes over the last three years have destroyed the advisor network. Over half of the advisors have left with their books of business in the last 18 months. The good people are trapped supporting a vision they do not believe in. Toxic at all management levels. Very sad to see the demise of a once ethical and honest firm.
Pros
Investment platform
Cons
Leadership, constant masive changes