Waddell & Reed Employee Reviews

Good Financial Company
Financial Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 15, 2018
Offered good products, advisors were knowledgeable and helped customers achieve their goals. Long hours, but that is the financial industry. ........
good bd, but limited resources
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 15, 2018
this broker dealer is fairly easy to work with, but they lack in resources for an advisor, could be ideal for an advisor that is established and can afford to provide most of their own resources and tools
Pros
low fees to advisors
Cons
lack of resources
n/a
Brokerage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KS 66202May 14, 2018
It has been a good company for career growth and opportunity. The work life balance is difficult as your progress to the management track. I would also like to see more management training.
Stressful environment with lots of rule changes
BOSS Associate Processor (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSApril 25, 2018
Typical day consists of dealing with other people's judgement on how you process accounts. Training is a huge challenge and this environment is not quite as professional as it should be. Learn a lot but all of it was somewhat scattered. Training consisted of working on live accounts which is risky.
Challenging Industry
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 14, 2018
Working as a financial advisor is a challenging industry. There is a lot of competition and pay is strictly commission based. It is difficult to build a business from scratch. It is a good industry to work if you are able to purchase or acquire a book of business.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential
Cons
No benefits, tough to get started in industry
Financial Management Company
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 12, 2018
Selling financial plans was a frustrating and time consuming part of the job duties of a financial advisor at W&R. I was good at developing financial plans for my clients-unfortunately I didn't obtain a large enough quantity of new clients to achieve the company goal for second year advisors-so I resigned.
Pros
liked building financial plans for clients but hated selling
Cons
Sales is not for me
Worst Job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Poor management and training left me out on mine and unsuccessful. I needed guidance and assistance and got none because the managers were also advisors working on their own business.
Its not a bad company.
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 11, 2018
The company has good people during the time I was there. However, one of the reason I left is because there has been substantial changes in the company infrastructure. As far as Financial Industry goes it is not a bad place, people do value integrity, and are friendly, which is plus. However as a company to start your financial career it could be difficult, then again the industry itself is difficult for beginner.
Great for established advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXApril 10, 2018
Training was great, management was personable, but as a beginner, it was not a good fit for me. Definitely a place for an established advisor with an existing book.
I was a contractor, so my experience differs from a full-time employee
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSApril 8, 2018
I was given assignments with a lot of latitude as to how the assignments should be carried out. I found the people I worked with to be knowledgeable and helpful. I learned a lot about the mutual fund industry.
Deteriorating work environment
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 6, 2018
When I first started working at W&R the culture was VERY different. You felt like everyone cared about each other, from the CEO down to college interns. Now, the upper management is constantly in flux. The technology is archaic and constantly changing. Systems were always down. You will be stuck if you work here. Definitely find somewhere else to work!
Pros
The people who work there are wonderful.
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Fun people, bad management
Developer (Former Employee) –  Mission, KSApril 4, 2018
Very competitive, sometimes too much politics in the way of progress. Majority of the people work hard and are very helpful. Company is being pulled in too many directions.
Productive that leaves you feeling accomplished.
Financial Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 30, 2018
This is a great place to work where you learn a lot about financing and processes. Very busy, but at the end of the day you feel accomplished. No travel or weekends involved.
Pros
Fun atmosphere and Family oriented.
Cons
No benefits since you are working for a small bussiness owner.
No review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, PAMarch 29, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about the company. I had a wonderful supervisor and most of the office was wonderful. Some of the advisor assistants were a little uppity.
W&R places a focus on the financial planning aspect of advising, but offers a low payout compared to other B/D's
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 21, 2018
My first professional job out of college was at W&R as a financial advisor. Building a successful business from scratch is challenging; I happened to start right at the beginning of the Great Recession and I only worked with them a little over a year. When I was there they actively limited their advisors to mutual funds for investments. I now feel like this is a dis-service to investors, but I believe they were looking to get access to Pershing. Compared to other Independent B/D's the payout is low - only 50% when I was there.
Pros
Be your own boss
Cons
Not make much $$ when starting out
I no longer work there
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILMarch 17, 2018
I no longer work there. Awful compnay to work for. Never work there. Never give them your money to invest.

I no longer work there.

I no longer work there.
W&r
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 6, 2018
When I first became an advisor with W&R, they cared about the advisors and what they needed. They had a niche in the market with family investors and have moved away from that. The management is constantly influx and the pay structure is not competitive.
Pros
Freedom-Work as an independent contractor
Cons
No benefits
Fun, Professional Environment
Division Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 3, 2018
The advisors I worked with at the Schaumburg IL branch were all fantastic. They truly have the interests of their clients in mind. The support staff are kind and organized. The Home Office was extremely helpful when processing assistance was necessary.
Pros
The advisors are knowledgeable and ethical
Cons
the salary and lack of career path at branch locations
Great Place to Learn the Business
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAFebruary 22, 2018
I was an intern, so only was taught in a classroom setting with other interns. Lots of case study based learning and managers are teaching something new in each session.
Pros
Excited Managers
Cons
No Pay
Wonderful place to work
Recruiter and Front Office Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 20, 2018
I enjoyed my time immensely at this company. I dealt with customers in a professional manner with a pleasant demeanor. It was a professional atmosphere, easy to get along with coworkers and assist them as necessary. I did filing, making sure paperwork was in the right place for the right client, phone calls where I interacted in a pleasant way with clients and prospective interviews. I was in charge of recruiting and bringing in the best and most prospective people in for a face to face interview. It was a wonderful environment, and I got along with my team and had a lot of fun with them.
Pros
Christmas gifts
Cons
Nothing I could think of.