Waddell & Reed Employee Reviews

nice,easy, stress-free
ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNAugust 12, 2018
I was paid great.
The job wasn't hard.
I was only working for the summer and really enjoyed the workplace and environment.
I've never had a problem with anything over there.
The employers were friendly.
Pros
good pay, no stress
Cons
same continous thing
Out of control
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 1, 2018
The massive changes over the last three years have destroyed the advisor network. Over half of the advisors have left with their books of business in the last 18 months. The good people are trapped supporting a vision they do not believe in. Toxic at all management levels. Very sad to see the demise of a once ethical and honest firm.
Pros
Investment platform
Cons
Leadership, constant masive changes
Waddell & Reed, A great place to be
Vice-President ,Director of Channel Marketing (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 25, 2018
If you notice, I did not put "work" in my title. That is because I loved being at Waddell & Reed. The people are world class and the benefits were wonderful.
What I learned
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 10, 2018
Waddell & Reed was a great place to start, and to begin learning the characteristics that are required to become a successful Financial Advisor. The hardest part was the focus on proprietary products.
Good work Environment
Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 15, 2018
Most enjoyable - Working with business partners to achieve results.
The work culture is friendly and business casual. The work hours are flexible. I learned all phases of a project life cycle.
Pros
Work environment
It used to be good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 10, 2018
This used to be a great place to work. All of the top leadership is gone now. They have been forced out. The National Sales Manager has never made a sale in her life and isn't even licensed.
Well intentioned company going through changes.
Senior Regional Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 30, 2018
There has been a lot of manager turnover at W&R as they move from an old business model to a more competivie structure. The benefits are fine and about par for the industry. The workplace is outdated, but that is expected given the outflows. The efforts to update the companies competitiveness will hopefully set them up for success moving forward.
Contractor
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mission, KSMay 29, 2018
Not a place I've ever go back to, mgmt was a mess, no direction, and un-realistic expectations. It's a cube farm with a lot of disgruntled people. Process and procedures were not clear, and no help getting things done. A lot of legacy apps with knowledge that left with previous employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Just a bad environment all around.
Used to be a great company
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 17, 2018
Loved this company when I started but so many changes that haven't created the company performance improvements promised. They're spending money on manager training (good), but not focusing on the day to day things managers need to know (employee relations, leave situations, etc.)
Pros
On-site cafeteria, tuition reimbursement
Cons
unclear guidance from leadership
Good Financial Company
Financial Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMay 15, 2018
Offered good products, advisors were knowledgeable and helped customers achieve their goals. Long hours, but that is the financial industry. ........
good bd, but limited resources
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 15, 2018
this broker dealer is fairly easy to work with, but they lack in resources for an advisor, could be ideal for an advisor that is established and can afford to provide most of their own resources and tools
Pros
low fees to advisors
Cons
lack of resources
n/a
Brokerage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KS 66202May 14, 2018
It has been a good company for career growth and opportunity. The work life balance is difficult as your progress to the management track. I would also like to see more management training.
Stressful environment with lots of rule changes
BOSS Associate Processor (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSApril 25, 2018
Typical day consists of dealing with other people's judgement on how you process accounts. Training is a huge challenge and this environment is not quite as professional as it should be. Learn a lot but all of it was somewhat scattered. Training consisted of working on live accounts which is risky.
Challenging Industry
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 14, 2018
Working as a financial advisor is a challenging industry. There is a lot of competition and pay is strictly commission based. It is difficult to build a business from scratch. It is a good industry to work if you are able to purchase or acquire a book of business.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential
Cons
No benefits, tough to get started in industry
Financial Management Company
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 12, 2018
Selling financial plans was a frustrating and time consuming part of the job duties of a financial advisor at W&R. I was good at developing financial plans for my clients-unfortunately I didn't obtain a large enough quantity of new clients to achieve the company goal for second year advisors-so I resigned.
Pros
liked building financial plans for clients but hated selling
Cons
Sales is not for me
Worst Job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2018
Poor management and training left me out on mine and unsuccessful. I needed guidance and assistance and got none because the managers were also advisors working on their own business.
Its not a bad company.
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 11, 2018
The company has good people during the time I was there. However, one of the reason I left is because there has been substantial changes in the company infrastructure. As far as Financial Industry goes it is not a bad place, people do value integrity, and are friendly, which is plus. However as a company to start your financial career it could be difficult, then again the industry itself is difficult for beginner.
Great for established advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXApril 10, 2018
Training was great, management was personable, but as a beginner, it was not a good fit for me. Definitely a place for an established advisor with an existing book.
I was a contractor, so my experience differs from a full-time employee
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSApril 8, 2018
I was given assignments with a lot of latitude as to how the assignments should be carried out. I found the people I worked with to be knowledgeable and helpful. I learned a lot about the mutual fund industry.
Deteriorating work environment
Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 6, 2018
When I first started working at W&R the culture was VERY different. You felt like everyone cared about each other, from the CEO down to college interns. Now, the upper management is constantly in flux. The technology is archaic and constantly changing. Systems were always down. You will be stuck if you work here. Definitely find somewhere else to work!
Pros
The people who work there are wonderful.
Cons
Pretty much everything else