Wag! Employee Reviews

Not Recommended
Dog Walker/Sitter (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I would like to state that I really did enjoy Wag! when I first became employed through them. The support team was often helpful in a timely manner and it was easy to navigate any possible issues encountered during any given walk.

I absolutely loved the dogs I got to meet during my time working for Wag! and it helped me a lot in terms of getting daily exercise. Clients would sometimes be a real problem, but that can happen in any job that entails customer service.

The reason I no longer walk for Wag! is because they've really gone downhill in terms of support for the walkers, and in terms of who they hire. When I was hired I had to jump through many hoops to become employed. To prove I knew how to do many things the job would have me doing. I had to demonstrate I could properly use every leash, harness, and collar I might come into contact with. I had to take an online assessment. I had to pay for my own background check. I had to go to an in-person meeting, etc. Now they've rapidly expanded across the entire US and they have thousands and thousands of walkers. And now they don't do nearly enough to vet the walkers they hire. They've been caught up in a lot of bad press because of this failure to vet the new walkers.

Due to their extreme expansion throughout the US it has made getting ahold of support nearly impossible. At least not in the timely manner that they used to be able to keep up with. They expanded walkers but did not expand their support staff, at least not nearly enough to handle all of the incoming problems that the walkers experience. It became stressful
  more... to have to figure out how to handle our issues we would encounter because we weren't hearing back from the support team. It often results in the clients getting mad at US the Walkers because they don't understand that we often don't have access to important information that the support team might have access to. When they get mad at US, they take it out on US in their review. Even though 9 times out of 10 it is an issue they have with the Wag company, and not us, the walker. It's a very frustrating situation to be in.

On top of that Wag started running promotions to entice people to use their service. They ended up taking the $ that the customer is saving on their discount out of the WALKERS pay that they should have gotten. Example: A 30 min $20 walk would be on sale for $15. Normally a walker would make $12 plus tip for a 30 min walk. When the sale would run it turned into getting $8 plus tip IF they even got a tip. Many people don't tip. They ran a deal on all sittings/boardings that eventually they adopted as their new price point. So what we used to make for doing those, it was now a lower payout for the same amount of work.

Overall, this company has to do a lot of soul searching. They need to stop taking pay away from the walkers for the specials they choose to run. It makes no sense to promote a sale, and punish the walker with the lower payout because of it. I really do not recommend working for Wag. Not until they get their stuff together and hire way more support for the walkers, and not until they stop punishing the walkers via lower payout, whenever they want to run a sale. And definitely not until they start vetting the new hires the way they used to.
Pros
cute dogs, exercise
Cons
terrible support to walker ratio, gas prices, mileage put on car, low pay if you're not tipped for your time
Good for college kind of
Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Bad in any place except in SF or LA. Walks were very competitive. Times was always a gamble. If you get a recurring walk that fits your schedule that is a plus for you but uncommon. Worked with them for over a year. Not worth the money but good side money. Walks can be super slow especially the hour ones. Some dog owners are a pain in the butt and give you low stars for stupid reasons such as "I wish you walked them a longer distance", even though it is a long distance accumulated over time and zig zagging streets is bad???
Pros
Pocket money, weekly pay, dogs!
Cons
Not much money, competitive, not secure, rude customers
Discrininating!!!!
no title (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2019
This is a rotten good for nothing discriminating nothing company!!! They discriminate on your moneys worth. This company is to controling and to picky.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Discriminating bums!!!
My Review
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2019
I love the flexibility Wag offers. Every experience I have had with their customer service team has been wonderful - they really go above and beyond in making sure that both their customers AND their employees are taken care of.
If you live in a small city, Wag might not be for you.
Part-Time Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 10, 2019
I live in a relatively small city that I'd say is growing pretty quickly. Since downloading the app last month, I've only walked 2 dogs which were under the same client. You get paid the same amount regardless of how many dogs you're walking, which has made me consider going off-app for this specific client. Wag also takes 40% commission which is RIDICULOUS. There's really not much walker competition here, but when I traveled to cities like Austin, TX or San Antonio, suddenly I was bombarded with jobs to do.

I suggest getting Wag if you live in bigger cities, but you shouldn't completely avoid it if you work in smaller cities. You're really just a face for the company once you work for them, and you get absolutely no benefits whatsoever from them. There's no workers' comp, and if anything happens to me or the dogs I'm walking during a walk, I highly doubt Wag would be of any help to you if at all.

If you're really serious about walking some dogs for extra money, you can promote yourself avidly to people as a dog walker, but that doesn't guarantee that you'd be picked by the dog's owners. It's ultimately up to the owners as to who walks their dogs, so you really need to be persistent and just keep your eyes peeled for walking ops.

Also, keep in mind that you never really know what kind of dogs you'll be working with until you request to walk the dogs and the owners have accepted your request. This is something I think I'd rather be able to do beforehand. As a 90lb woman, walking an energetic, strong pitbull is not exactly.... ideal. It would really help if owners
  more... could say things about what their dogs require in advance, or any issues that they notice with their dogs. Also, I kind of wish that Wag! would require owners to post pics of their dog before requesting any kind of walk. Especially where I live, it feels real sketch when I have a walk op out in the middle of nowhere for a dog with no picture.  less
Pros
You get to meet dogs and you get extra money
Cons
Pay really isn't that great, not enough dogs to walk, no benefits
Only for extra cash
Walker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 8, 2019
I have completed over 600 walks for Wag! in a top-20 size city.

PROS:
You can work whenever you want, you are your own boss, hang out with dogs, normally get tips, direct deposit weekly, can make good money for the time you spend.

CONS:
Ultra competitive, they make you pay for your own background check, Wag takes 40% of owner payments, inconsistent, going in blind to random houses/dogs, lots of driving/mileage, you're kind of on your own if you run into problems (though it has gotten much better), you will be stressed out if this is your main source of income

I would only recommend Wag! to people who are just doing it for fun/want to make part time money, unless you live in a huge city. (I do not mean Boise or Des Moines, I mean HUGE cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Seattle. Do some digging to find out Wag's presence in your city. I have heard people say that big cities like Portland/Vegas can be very slow. I have heard many people say Wag is looking for walkers in their specific city but there are no owners signed up yet, so check this out before you pay them for your background check.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Don't bother
walker (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLJanuary 7, 2019
If you're not in a popular area, goodluck getting any walks at all. I joined Wag! due to seeing a posting for my area specifically... There has been no walks unless I head towards a higher populated area like Orlando, maybe one person wants a walk there and nothing else. I thought it was awesome getting the Wag! shirt and bandana for the dog but I can't even use them.
Very rewarding place to work
Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2019
The Denver dog walking market is very competitive. It is up to the dog walker to show initiative and secure walks rapidly and quickly as they become available. Budgeting time and diligence is paramount to success in this company.
Good for picking up a little bit of extra cash, not practical for a fulltime job
Wag walker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Wag! give you a lot of work/time freedom, but is very poor at providing employees with a living wage or getting back to employees if there is a problem. Example, walks are sometimes two miles a apart or a mile at least, wag walkers have to cover the costs of the walks. If you are lucky enough to get multiple walks in the same area, you still have to finish you're reports directly after each walk. Reports if done correctly take at least 15 mins, that's 15 mins you could be using to get to you're next walk. The reports mess everything up, if there is any confusion about getting into the house then it really messes up getting the reports done. the longer you are out the more you will need to spend on food/water and there is also another expense from the employees pocket. You can take easy walks that are close by, but more often then not you will not feel like walking just one dog. It's difficult to balance when the walks come in with you're lifestyle most of the time if you have another job. In short this could be a great job, if you have a car. Otherwise it's just a hassle.
Pros
working with dogs, walking is quite fun, time freedom/flexibility
Cons
reports slow down how many dogs you can walk, getting from one walk to another, sometimes owners are demanding, wag! support is extremely slow to get back to you if there is a problem. Like hours or days later.
Easy job
Dog Walker/Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 6, 2019
Easy job, but you never know what kind of dog/owner you will be getting. Most owners use the app for getting their dog walked as others would use it out of laziness. Some of the expectations and notes from owners about how they would like us to feed and clean up after their dog (inside their home after the walk had been completed) is ridiculous. I have been at a clients house 10 minutes after our scheduled walk had been completed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get a good pup, that actually walks, and you can get a decent distance in. Hardest part of the job is when you have to contact Wag support... GOOD LUCK. They are absolutely terrible at getting back to you at a reasonable time for your TIME SENSITIVE problems while on a walk. The app glitches a LOT and there are updates to it every month it seems but absolutely nothing changes except an occasional new icon will pop up that doesn't do anything. Also, the apple and android apps are 100% different then each other and the apple app has many more features than the android.
Pros
cute pups to hang with
Cons
terrible customer service
Good for spare cash, awful service help
contract walker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
The management of the company is very poor, and they do not care about their walkers. It is impossible to get in contact with support while on a walk and in need of help for various reasons.
Pros
Your own schedule, spare extra money
Amazing work opportunity
Wag! walker (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 4, 2019
Great option of employment if seeking independence, flexible schedule, and fun solo job. Lots of fun beginning at Wag! and even more fun when weekly schedules begin to get booked more and more.
Fun and convenient
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2018
Pick your own hours and dogs to walk, Wag support is pretty helpful most of the time, pretty good pay, can continue job in any . major city in the US.
Wag! Dog Walking
Wag Walker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2018
The days I work for Wag vary depending on if I have et up my walks prior to the day starting or not. If I have, I'll go straight to the first house and continue on from there - Walking the dogs, writing the reports and whatnot...But if I haven't, I'll usually sit some place and wait for a walk to pop up that is close enough for me to get to in a timely manor and then my day will start.
What's frustrating is that the walks get taken just as fast as they appear on the app, so one has to be extremely fast at requesting it. However, once I do get a walk I get to go spend time with a pup, which I LOVE...so that makes me super happy!! I just wish that the company wouldn't take so much of the cut...it bums me (and my wallet) out.
Pros
Flexible hours, spending time with pups, exercise
Cons
No benefits, small pay, competitive work
Okay for quick cash, lots of problems though
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 19, 2018
This is an okay job if you need a side job that will help you earn extra money but you will NOT earn the $1250 they say you will. It's extremely hard to find enough walks to earn that much money. The pay isn't great, the app is ALWAYS messing things up and they never fix it, sometimes I don't get paid for a walk and their help hotline is useless. It's very stressful when the app stops working and you're unable to start the walk on time and calling walker support doesn't do much of anything.
Pros
Walking dogs
Cons
Bad pay, walker support hotline is horrible, app has glitches
Good job for students who need flexible hours
Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Albany, CADecember 18, 2018
Very easy, choose your own hours and pays well. You get to work with dogs and exercise. I recommend this if you have a car or access to public transportation as some walks are not within walking distance. It is sometimes competitive so you have to be quick but it is typically pretty easy to find multiple walks in your area in a day.
Pros
Choose your own hours
Cons
you can't always depend on there to be walks available
Work filled day with a nice environment to stay focused
QA ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2018
My favorite thing about working for Wag! was how much I learned, I learned how to QA test, automation testing, X-code, Python, how to test again windows and Mac. Also testing against all phone types (iPhone, android, google) The company also made sure that everyone felt like the work day was fun and enjoyable by giving us rewards, giving us a break room with a ping pong table, and regular company outings.
Pros
Free lunch, a lot of work to keep busy, and company bonding.
Cons
It was difficult to have a work/life balance
Poor customer service
Wag Walker (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 11, 2018
When an issue or emergency arises, they are not very quick or efficient in responding to the issue. Some reps have been rude. They definitely need to work on having more reps to help the dog walkers through issues.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Dogs
Cons
Poor customer service
Great option for work
Pet Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 9, 2018
Allows you to make your own schedule and make a great amount of money if you put your best foot forward. Overall a good side hustle with potential to be a main job.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Inaccuracy of client location via app sometimes
fun and an easy schedule
Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2018
Since you make your won schedule it's really easy to fit into your everyday life. When you are having problems it's really easy to call the main company to get help. It's a really fun job and I got to meet a lot of new people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wag!. Our community is ready to answer.