Wag! Employee Reviews

Loving pups
Dog Walker/Sitter (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 14, 2018
Wag is great! you get to meet lots of new dogs and take them on walks.
The paid is not too bad but it could be a little better after all you are doing a lot. You are driving to the persons house aka: using your gas. Taking the dog out plus trying to please the owner by doing any other request such as feeding it before the walk starts and then waiting for awhile to take the dog out and go on your 20, 30 minute or 60 minute walk. To then only get paid 8, 9, 10,11,12,14,16,18 or 21,24$ Depending how long the walk is. Or an extra 2$ for another dog.
You have now spent an hour with this dog doing all the request and walking it and only made 14$ or 10$ and guess what the owner didn't even care to tip.
Walker
Pet Sitter/Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
You make your own schedule by only accepting walks when you're available. You worked when you can, which made this job very flexible and easy as a college student.
Good
Bad
Love this job, Very Poor "Walker Support" Response Time Though
Walker (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 13, 2018
I absolutely adore this job- it is not my main source of income, I do it when I have time. I love the dogs, the owners have also been wonderful. What is not so great is the response time from Wag! if there is a question or concern. I have waited 30 minutes on the line and waited over two hours for a call back. It is a little scary in case something were to truly go wrong I would not be able to get in touch with them right away. The support is super helpful and kind once you get ahold of them, that wait is pretty long though.
Pros
Hang out with dogs
Cons
Very poor response time from walker support
Wag! cancellation and compensation.
Walker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2018
I had an owner cancel on me twice, and only got $10 from Wag! even though my walk was cancelled BEFORE I had left my house. I never got the cancellation notice through the app, but instead was told by the owners themselves that they had cancelled once I already arrived on the premises. This has happened to me twice. The first time it had happened I accepted it as a fluke, although upset. What should have been $20 + tip turned into the $10.

The second time, I got up extra early to go walk a dog before work. I arrived to the home and was knocking on the door for about 10 minutes. I called the owner 3 times and also texted them. I sent Wag! a text. I finally got a call from the owner explaining that she had cancelled my walk almost initially after accepting it. I was outraged because I was on the verge of calling 911 thinking that this person may have been deceased. The notes left by previous walkers explained that the owner had some health issues. I called Wag! and their sympathy was not welcome when they said they will only give me $10 for the cancel. As an employee for Wag! I expect the company to take full responsibility for their mistakes, especially because this issue had absolutely nothing to do with me.
Pros
Chose when to walk.
Cons
Terrible management.
Wag! does not appreciate their walkers; customer service is horrible as a whole
Contract Walker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 9, 2018
As a contracted Wag! walker, there have been many many occasions when I needed immediate help (unable to gain access to a residence, not being paid properly, aggressive dogs) and it took sometimes a full day for anyone to respond. It seems as though the walker support has been outsourced to SOMEWHERE and these folks don't have a clue what's going on and sometimes refuse to help. One example is that I wasn't being paid the $1 walkers bonus because of an issue with the app (no fault of my own) and when I asked a Wag! Support Specialist what was going on, was told that he wasn't going to give me the bonus because the dog wasn't wearing the Wag! gear. I explained that the dog's photo he was looking at is CLEARLY the dog greeting me on the other side of a tall fence. I wasn't even in the yard yet. He refused me a manager and refused to help. I gave him a poor rating.Common sense is in a deficit here. I wont stay much longer.
Pros
I've met some great owners and fantastic dogs.
Cons
Horrible customer service. Lack of response. No managers to speak with.
Not enough pay and competitive
PART-TIME DOG WALKER (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 8, 2018
It’s a great side job if you already have a job. I would not recommend this as a full time job.
The only way I see people making money is through luck. By that meaning, right time right place and availability.
Pros
Quick cash, dogs!!! Tips, experience
Cons
Finding dogs in your area, poor WAG assistance, some owners are rude
Don't work for wag!!!!
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
Wag was a horrible company to work for. They don't care about the walkers and if something goes wrong they are very unhelpful and not very nice about it. When ever I called support I didn't feel supported at all. It felt humiliating they really talked down to you and made you feel like everything was your fault.

I also had a brand new jacket ruined by a dog. II actually bought the jacket for dog walking because I live in Chicago and it gets very cold. Wag would not pay me back for my jacket and the owners of that dog never did as well.

Also their solution too getting frozen lock boxes open is to carry around a lighter with you. doesn't really work too well in Chicago!!! So if you can't get into a building because the lock box is frozen you're SOL.
Pros
Play with cute dogs
Cons
everything I listed above. and much more!
Not worth it.
Wag Walker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2018
I was making wayyy less than minimum wage for the hours I was working. It's really only worth it if you're already an established wag walker, new walkers really get jipped.
Pros
flexible
Cons
LOW pay
Relaxed Way to Meet Peoples Dogs!
Wag Walker (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 7, 2018
Working as a dog walker for Wag! is really easy and fun. You get to pick and choose your own walks. I really enjoy working for Wag! and will try to keep it as a side job as long as they offer it in the area I am located. Love getting to meet many different breeds of dogs and take them for a walk, what pup doesn't like a walk!?
Pros
Choose own hours, enjoy the nice weather, exercise
Cons
Some walks are low pay, information isn't always updated thru the app, android users have a lag using the app versus iphone users
Great for part time work
Wag Walker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2018
I love working with Wag! as a side hustle. I have a full time job and generally walk dogs during my lunch break or days off. It's great if you are just looking for some extra cash. It is NOT good for full time employment. There are always plenty of walks available near or around me. Customer service used to be horrible but I have seen it improve over the past 6 months or so.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Not always good money
I don't understand how this company exists
Walker / Sitter (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 4, 2018
As a professional walker I was interested in Wag's offering so I decided to sign up. The signup process was pretty straightforward, although a little bit slow. I was surprised by the lack of training that this company does and how people blindly trust them. I had to watch a couple of videos on how to leash a dog (which I already knew) and respond to a couple quiz questions and that's it. According to Wag now you know everything about dogs and you can start working. No wonder why they have so many bad reviews and bad press of lost and killed dogs and other awful experiences describing how they also try to cover up buying the silence of the poor owners.

My first suspicion started with the app download process. Wag sends an email to all iphone users asking to go into the settings > device manager > and have us manually select the TRUST app. Immediately after that warning messaged appear from apple. I'm not a software engineer here or anything but after using Samsung and Apple for years this was the first time that I ever encountered such a sketchy and weird installation.

I still decided to test it out and completed my first 2 walks. To put it in kind words, it was a painful and unforgettable experience. I run into quite a bit of technological problems that I feel the need to explain.

To start I had trouble accessing clients addresses because the app would constantly freeze on an eternal loading screen (I spent over 22 minutes and 43 s looking at the same loading screen in my phone). I went and called every single wag support and nobody responded to any number, emergency
  more... line or not. I turned on/off the phone close and open the app, everything! Finally I decided to go home and wait since I really couldn't do anything else. The app magically started working when I was in the garage. Through the whole process afterwards the app was also very slow, clunky and constantly losing connection, which is really weird because I have the new iPhone Xs, 4G and everything updated. Moreover, one of my clients requested to walk a certain distance and the distance locator went crazy on me, because when we were a little bit over half way through our walk it was showing 0.68 miles but when I came home with the pup it was almost at 0. I live 2 blocks away from the dog I walked, so I know for a fact that the walk was longer than what the app was saying.

To top things off, I had to spend some extra time trying to put the keys of the client back in the lockbox but unfortunately I wasn’t able to close the lid because it was jammed. I tried to close it in every way possible but the cover just wouldn’t close so I ended up having to leave the clients key under the mat. After completing my walk the app kept freezing and I wasn't able to send the update to the client so I had to email wag support with the update message for the clients to make sure they received them. However, the app magically started working again +2 hours after my last walk. Finally customer support responded to my email 2 days later with a recommendation to turn on/off my phone and restart the app... really?! People aren't that stupid wag especially after I mentioned doing that in my email.

I was able to talk to one of the owners of the pups I walked that day and she even explained to me that the app experience was horrendous.

In conclusion, awful training, less than ideal customer service with a sketchy and horrible app and user experience completed my reviews of this software/app/company/experience.
Pros
I was going to say convenience of the app but since it doesn't work NONE
Competitive but fun!
Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 3, 2018
Working with Wag is a great way to get some extra cash. It's definitely not enough for cost of living but helps out with food and gas. Plus if you love animals and exercising its a fun job and doesn't feel like work. The only disadvantage is you need to always have your phone on you to be able to respond to a request right away otherwise it will be taken by another walker.
Dog walker
Walker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2018
I simply walked dogs around San Francisco. It was nice to get out and get some exercise while hanging out with fun dogs. It wasn't a full time gig because I had to balance it with school but it was fun while it lasted.
productive
walking puppies/dogs (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 31, 2018
it's the best dog walking business around is has a lot of potential that people are not aware of like making your own hours and grabbing customer attentions about the business with people who surround u with postive upright of keeping 100 percent potential happy customer happy job happy life
Pros
walking in the snow
Cons
making your own hours
Work whenever you want
Pet Sitter/Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 23, 2018
This is a good place to work if you just want a little extra cash on the side. You get to pick and choose when you want to work even if it's in the middle of the night.
Needs improvement
Walker (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 17, 2018
Honestly being a Wag walker is dependent on where you live. In some cities there seems to be more walkers then dogs that want to get walked. I live in the middle of downtown and I will get maybe 2 walks a week within that radius. You also have to be constantly on your phone checking and refreshing because by the time the app notifies you of a walk in the area its already been filled. Most of the walks the pay out is between 8-12 for one dog for two its 11-15. So def not something you can make a living or even a ton of play money with. The app lets people request walks without notes on how to access the home or information on the dogs. Most requests don't show a picture or even the type of breed. Its a big guessing game most of the time on what situation you are getting into. If you have any problems best of luck to you. In the couple of weeks i've been a walker 70% of the time when I was unable to get access notes or needed help it took between 20min to 3hrs for someone to respond from the walked support. Also on the other end of it the walker support was essentially useless when I had requested a walk and was out of the state and never heard from the walker. She somehow walked the dog and was paid but never hit start walk or tracked it. In summary this company has lots of areas where they can improve on both the employee and client end.
Pros
Can be good if you're in the right area
Cons
see above
Excellent way to make extra cash and play with dogs
Dog walker (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, caOctober 16, 2018
I absolutely love working for wag. If you get this job as your primary means of income or you don’t have a lot of experience with dogs, you probably won’t like or do well at it. Walks can be hard to get so you have to have your phone on you at all times in case a walk pops up. I am able to pick up walks while working my full time job so I have a lot more time availability than other people might have. Every dog is different and if you don’t know how to adjust yourself to a dogs personality, you could get bit or have issues. I haven’t had issues with wag support. I have contacted them 3 times and they responded same day every time. I absolutely love being around dogs all day every day and why not make some extra spending cash while doing it? My only issue I’ve had is with the app itself. It will malfunction while on a walk, which is no fun.
Pros
Being around dogs
Cons
App working
Fun job
Walker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2018
Wag was a fun part time job for me when I first moved to Atlanta. It was great to work with dogs because I missed my dog I left back home, and I love to make the dogs happy.
Only work at wag if you are self motivated
Wag Walker (Current Employee) –  DenverOctober 15, 2018
Working at wag really is hard because gas is expensive and their system is messed up with double booking walkers and employee support is awful and very inefficient.
Poor hours, unpleasant staff
Walker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2018
I went through a bunch of hoops to work at Wag! That included attending an orientation and paying for my own background check.

Then the jobs were never there.

I would wait starting early morning, then a job would pop up and I'd press to take it and 9/10 I wouldn't get it. The first 2 weeks I got 3 jobs, and I was in Cap Hill, not somewhere remote.

The payment doesn't make sense for anyone. It is $12 for a half hr and $15 if there is a second dog. $18 for an hr, $21 for the second dog. But you can work for a dog walking company for guaranteed $15/hr+ with benefits OR you can start your own dog walking business where you make $25/hr per dog.

When I was doing it, they hid the payments aside for what you make for a half hour, so I was really shocked when I walked a dog for an hour and only made $6 more than if I did a half hour. I pointed it out to Wag and they sent me a bunch of nasty emails.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wag!. Our community is ready to answer.