Wag! Employee Reviews for Walker

Great company to work for!
Walker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2019
Overall it's a great part time job. The only problem is that it can be competitive when requesting a walk and that people request walks the day of so its hard to plan ahead.
Pros
Work schedule is great, lots of dogs, good pay
Cons
Walks are available for short amount of time and people don't plan ahead
Wag! is a great in-between cash job.
Walker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2019
I owe a lot to Wag! and the compensation I was able to earn while working for them. The weather is tough to work through, the clients can be a little weird, but it was worth it.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
weather conditions
Has potential but really lacking
Walker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2019
Super competitive and fast paced. You literally have to sit with your phone on, in your hand, with the app open and accept walks within a fraction of a second. There is NO time to read about the dog first, see the location, figure out if it will work with your own schedule, etc. No kidding, you have less than a second to accept the walk, and at least half of the time, you miss it. Absolutely insane they would advertise making $1250 a month. I'm a full-time dog walker and sitter and there is no way you will earn that kind of money. They pay less than other dog walking companies and expect way more time and effort. For example, you are not supposed to "start" the walk until you are literally walking out the door with the dog. So, you are supposed to park (difficult in apartment complexes) get into the house, get the dog, make your acquaintance (not always easy), find the leash, get the dog comfortable enough with you to walk (remember, these aren't you regular dog walking clients; this service is for "on demand" walking so you don't know the dog most of the time) get the dog out the door THEN start the timer. Sometimes that set up takes 10-15 minutes. So, they expect you to give your own personal time for free, and honestly, I don't think that's even legal. A 20 minute walk may take 30-40 minutes because of the extra set up time, for which you are paid around $9 - BEFORE taxes, gas, tolls, etc. So, it's a minimum wage job if you live in a big city. Great for being active, great for providing a valuable service but trust me, when it's 110 degrees in the summer, full sun, in a neighborhood  more... with no trees or freezing cold and raining, minimum wage is NOT enough. And, it's shameful the people who don't want to walk their own dogs in such weather conditions but expect YOU to come do it for just a couple of dollars.  less
Pros
physically active and fun
Cons
low pay, weather, super competitive
AVOID unless you have a car and can find free parking
Walker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2019
First, you are going to need to eat crow for a week or 2 to get your first walk. It is UBER competitive in chicago, and by the time I get a message saying a walk is available, it's gone. I lucked out and got my first walk a couple days ago. Guess how much? $8.40 for 20 min. That doesn't include travel time, meeting the dog, getting the dog ready. Communication with the owner if need be...I essentially made $8.40 in about an hour. Minimum wage in Chicago is $12. I asked customer service if that was legal and they said yes, then suggested I wear their gear for the extra dollar. Thanks.

It's cut throat, people have a lot of demands and even with meeting the demands, writing a detailed and upbeat message about the walk and even walking a little longer (on accident), NO tips. Seriously. It's disgusting outside, but no tips.

If you want to waste money on travel and risk making below minimum wage for a company that takes a 40% or more commission, by all means. Oh, and they don't eat the costs when they offer specials. Get this--there was a walk listed for $0!!! That's right...you walk the dog for free. That can't be legal.

Anyway, avoid this company.
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Low pay, hard to get walks, stressful, not worth it
Great gig on your own time
Walker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2019
this is a great full time or side job depending on your geographical location. If you live in a largely populated city it is super easy to pick up work but if you don't, I wouldn't count on this to be your sole income. the support team is kinda sucky, and they are quick to try to claim fraud over referral bonuses. nonetheless, I still love the job because you get paid to hang out with dogs, exercise, and make great connections! plus it's all on your own schedule.
Great for walking dogs but horrible support for walkers
Walker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2019
While I loved walking dogs it quickly became an annoyance. I would approve a walk in my area just for it to say it was in a different neighborhood. My first few weeks I had a bunch of walks to literally none and was kept sending me a bunch that were way too far for me to do. I’ve gone to peoples houses in the cold for them to not answer the door and Wag expects you to wait in the cold. Only plus was I was able to walk dogs outside of the Wag app because I built up a great clientele. I wouldn’t reccomend they suck.
Pros
Walking dogs
Cons
Inconsistent work, walker support, rude customers
Only for extra cash
Walker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 8, 2019
I have completed over 600 walks for Wag! in a top-20 size city.

PROS:
You can work whenever you want, you are your own boss, hang out with dogs, normally get tips, direct deposit weekly, can make good money for the time you spend.

CONS:
Ultra competitive, they make you pay for your own background check, Wag takes 40% of owner payments, inconsistent, going in blind to random houses/dogs, lots of driving/mileage, you're kind of on your own if you run into problems (though it has gotten much better), you will be stressed out if this is your main source of income

I would only recommend Wag! to people who are just doing it for fun/want to make part time money, unless you live in a huge city. (I do not mean Boise or Des Moines, I mean HUGE cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Seattle. Do some digging to find out Wag's presence in your city. I have heard people say that big cities like Portland/Vegas can be very slow. I have heard many people say Wag is looking for walkers in their specific city but there are no owners signed up yet, so check this out before you pay them for your background check.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Fun job, but not enough pay, and no walker support
Walker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2018
Working for this company should be a side hustle and only used when you REALLY need the money. 1 the pay is not good at all. In LA minimum wage is 13.25/hr. To make a full 8hrs of pay I usually have to walk for at least 10 hrs considering it can be hard to pick up walks every hr. The commission that wag takes is RIDICULOUS considering they hardly do anything useful for you. They have a HORRIBLE system of getting ahold of them when you need something. You’re supposed to text them when it’s non emergency, but call them for emergencies. I’ve had multiple occasions where something was delaying me from starting and walk, but when you call them they don’t even answer. It takes AT LEAST 30 min for them to get back to you. So by the time they get back to you, the walk that you needed help with was supposed to start 30 min prior and that looks bad on you. They have no sufficient system for walker support.
Also for boarding a pet, or even sitting, you only get like $23 a day to bring in someone’s dog in your home. When you get a boarding they don’t tell you how old the dog is untill after you’ve been confirmed for the boarding. I’ve had multiple times where I’ve gotten boarding with puppies that aren’t potty trained so I have to be home all day long to let the dog out every few hrs. And you only get $23 a day???
The app glitches all the time and it’ll say a walk is near you and then when you book it it’s 10+ miles away from you. Like I said this should only be a, Incase of emergencies kind of job.
Pros
Make your own schedule, you get to play with cute puppies
Cons
Terrible walker support, bad pay, communication
Great side hustle
Walker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2018
I've been going on wag walks for a couple of months now and I love it!

Haven't had any issues with the dogs I've walked and so far it's just been fun.

Signed up to be a wag walker just so I could be more around dogs (my current landlord doesn't allow pets) so the money is just a bonus.

Only had to call wag support once and I was helped immediately. I was scheduled to go for a walk, but when arriving to the home the owner had forgot to put out a key. Tried getting a hold of the owner without luck and Wag was quick to help me out.
Pros
work when you want, sweet doggies, fresh air, exercise
could be better.
Walker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 29, 2018
We're not allowed to see the dog's profile until after we basically win the "privilege" of walking a dog that has had negative reviews. And there are a lot of free walks and flash sales as of late and it's just not worth being forced to try to win a 6.00 walk that's ten miles away. Wag doesn't care about their employee's well-being and in an emergency situation, you can be waiting for 30 minutes or longer if you need help through their hotline.
Pros
dogs, tips
Cons
no benefits
Love this job, Very Poor "Walker Support" Response Time Though
Walker (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 13, 2018
I absolutely adore this job- it is not my main source of income, I do it when I have time. I love the dogs, the owners have also been wonderful. What is not so great is the response time from Wag! if there is a question or concern. I have waited 30 minutes on the line and waited over two hours for a call back. It is a little scary in case something were to truly go wrong I would not be able to get in touch with them right away. The support is super helpful and kind once you get ahold of them, that wait is pretty long though.
Pros
Hang out with dogs
Cons
Very poor response time from walker support
Wag! cancellation and compensation.
Walker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2018
I had an owner cancel on me twice, and only got $10 from Wag! even though my walk was cancelled BEFORE I had left my house. I never got the cancellation notice through the app, but instead was told by the owners themselves that they had cancelled once I already arrived on the premises. This has happened to me twice. The first time it had happened I accepted it as a fluke, although upset. What should have been $20 + tip turned into the $10.

The second time, I got up extra early to go walk a dog before work. I arrived to the home and was knocking on the door for about 10 minutes. I called the owner 3 times and also texted them. I sent Wag! a text. I finally got a call from the owner explaining that she had cancelled my walk almost initially after accepting it. I was outraged because I was on the verge of calling 911 thinking that this person may have been deceased. The notes left by previous walkers explained that the owner had some health issues. I called Wag! and their sympathy was not welcome when they said they will only give me $10 for the cancel. As an employee for Wag! I expect the company to take full responsibility for their mistakes, especially because this issue had absolutely nothing to do with me.
Pros
Chose when to walk.
Cons
Terrible management.
Dog walker
Walker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2018
I simply walked dogs around San Francisco. It was nice to get out and get some exercise while hanging out with fun dogs. It wasn't a full time gig because I had to balance it with school but it was fun while it lasted.
Needs improvement
Walker (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 17, 2018
Honestly being a Wag walker is dependent on where you live. In some cities there seems to be more walkers then dogs that want to get walked. I live in the middle of downtown and I will get maybe 2 walks a week within that radius. You also have to be constantly on your phone checking and refreshing because by the time the app notifies you of a walk in the area its already been filled. Most of the walks the pay out is between 8-12 for one dog for two its 11-15. So def not something you can make a living or even a ton of play money with. The app lets people request walks without notes on how to access the home or information on the dogs. Most requests don't show a picture or even the type of breed. Its a big guessing game most of the time on what situation you are getting into. If you have any problems best of luck to you. In the couple of weeks i've been a walker 70% of the time when I was unable to get access notes or needed help it took between 20min to 3hrs for someone to respond from the walked support. Also on the other end of it the walker support was essentially useless when I had requested a walk and was out of the state and never heard from the walker. She somehow walked the dog and was paid but never hit start walk or tracked it. In summary this company has lots of areas where they can improve on both the employee and client end.
Pros
Can be good if you're in the right area
Cons
see above
Fun job
Walker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2018
Wag was a fun part time job for me when I first moved to Atlanta. It was great to work with dogs because I missed my dog I left back home, and I love to make the dogs happy.
Poor hours, unpleasant staff
Walker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 14, 2018
I went through a bunch of hoops to work at Wag! That included attending an orientation and paying for my own background check.

Then the jobs were never there.

I would wait starting early morning, then a job would pop up and I'd press to take it and 9/10 I wouldn't get it. The first 2 weeks I got 3 jobs, and I was in Cap Hill, not somewhere remote.

The payment doesn't make sense for anyone. It is $12 for a half hr and $15 if there is a second dog. $18 for an hr, $21 for the second dog. But you can work for a dog walking company for guaranteed $15/hr+ with benefits OR you can start your own dog walking business where you make $25/hr per dog.

When I was doing it, they hid the payments aside for what you make for a half hour, so I was really shocked when I walked a dog for an hour and only made $6 more than if I did a half hour. I pointed it out to Wag and they sent me a bunch of nasty emails.
Fun, but..
Walker (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 7, 2018
I’ve been working for wag for a few months now and I honestly really enjoy it. It’s not much money but being that I have another job it definitely helps supplement my income and that money does make a difference (less stress) and it adds up, what I usually make in a month doing walks could pay for 95% of my rent so to me that’s pretty great. I love dogs and exercising so the lack of money isn’t a big deal to me. Although sometimes, dogs can be unpredictable and there have been times where I did not feel safe walking into an owners house because of the dog and I’ve left without walking them; therefore receiving a bad review (sorry owners but a dog bite is not worth a 12$ walk! And you do not want to get sued over it either!!) and the owners always side with their dog even if this dog would cause harm to me but that’s another story lol. Also I would carry around dog repellant because you never know if another dog will come out at you guys (happended to me before too) and sometimes it’s just in a really bad area and it’s hard to tell where it really is because if you don’t jump on a walk almost as soon as you see it, it will be taken by someone else. Also, you don’t know what you’re getting into until you get the walk. You don’t see the notes of the dog until after you get the walk, and sometimes by the notes it’s such a handful that you don’t even think it would be worth your time. The wag support has been great for me, they are very nice and solve my issues. But overall it’s a great supplemental income but by no means could I live off it. Love being outside and with dogs
Pros
Dogs, flexible, fun
Cons
Salary, dangerous situations, ungrateful owners, bad dogs, bad areas
Good for side money
Walker (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 3, 2018
The job might provide a livable wage in a large city like Dallas or Austin, but in a college town where I live, competition is too fierce to consider it a main source of income
Do NOT sign up to be wag walker
Walker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 1, 2018
So I signed up for wag to make some extra money on the side and also because I love animals. Firstly, they had me go through the entire application process before springing a thirty dollar registration fee on me. Great. I thought No problem, I'll make this back in two or three walks. Well, I would have been able to do so if there was ever any walks available in my area. I've been with Wag for about two months now and have not been able to get a walk yet. So in short, it has been a waste of my time and money, and it probably will be for you too.
Avoid
Walker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2018
I feel like it is a bit of a con. First, the best part. I absolutely love my clients - little fur balls. This is the best part of my day. Now the cons. It is impossible to live on this even if you do it full-time. The competition is cut-throat, the best walks are taken within seconds. Plus Wag tricks walkers. The app will say that the walk is within a 4 mile radius and then I put in Waze and discover that I have to drive for 10 miles and into the city and most likely pay for parking. Another thing you will discover is that when you commit to a recurring walk for say one month, there is a chance you'll get booked for three months. And of course if you ask for covers, you will be penalized. Now I know I cannot commit to three months because I am getting a real job in a month or so, but there is just no way to prove that. So you are basically held hostage for something you did not intend to commit to in the first place. Just unethical. I'd say stay away. Print your own business cards, drop them off at public places and local doggy areas and keep your pay. Wag can get away with conning walkers because the demand is high, but it is up to you to stand your ground. Do not share your income with them, you will be treated poorly.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Where do I begin..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wag!. Our community is ready to answer.