Wag Hotels Employee Reviews

Front Desk at Wag Hotels
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2018
There's a lot of rules and little things to remember as a client services representative at Wag. There's deals made with certain clients and only certain clients, there's a solid amount of overruling done by the GM. The dogs are great, but many of the clients are nitpicky and believe that their dogs are actual children. Once the holidays come around, forget about getting anything done because it's constantly busy. The other coworkers are like high school students, it's a young atmosphere. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the little rules, most enjoyable part is meeting new dogs. Fun place to work if you can multitask. Corporate will tell you they're coming to visit and help out with stuff, but never show. Communication is key and it is lacking with supervisors/shift leads.
Pros
free daycare/boarding if you have a dog, retail discounts, meeting new dog, fun coworkers, pay above minimum wage to start
Cons
GM/operations manager don't do much, don't expect help, constantly busy, no opportunity for advancement, few pay raises
So much potential, but horrible management.
Brand Manager and Copywriter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2018
The CEO is doesn't know what he's doing. There is a lack of connection with the employees and business needs. The culture is extremely toxic which has created a high turnover.
Great on paper, complete lie in person and to clientele.
Kennel Staff (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAAugust 27, 2018
Wag gave very little "real" training to us staff. They Hire and rehire young. Inexperienced people over and over again. They throw you in to working with dogs when you have no idea what you are doing. They lie to their clientele about how their dog behaves while there and whether the dog was happy or miserable. Is it so sad to see what lies they tell dog owners. The hardest part is low pay, they don't care about you as a person or your family. Recently they fired or "let go" or "offered" other positions to several of the hardest working, most motivating people I have ever worked with. Just because they had to cut costs or whatever reason they feed you. The management is a joke. The most enjoyable part is the bond you make with the other "under paid, under trained staff" that just try to make it through the day. Ask how much the upper management makes! We all know because people talk. That's the norm. But they still fool a lot of people. Horrible place for dogs and people. And it hilarious how all the managers scurry to figure out who left them the negative review and then bash that person for doing so. Yes. True.
Pros
Other line staff relationships of keeping each other saf
Cons
Everything.
Filled with ignorance
Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 6, 2019
As an experienced groomer I can tell you this.... it’s only a matter of time before this company is sued for negligence my only wish is that the poor victim not die as a result of the pure ignorance I’ve seen within this company. I don’t know how they haven’t gotten lawsuit yet. They’re way understaffed for the amount of dogs they get. They’re constantly hiring for a reason. They’re a horrible company to groom for because they have zero knowledge about the industry they’re in. Corporate needs a head of grooming department who has been in the field.
The pay, they make you bathe dogs and clip nails for free, They don’t schedule lunches overload your schedule then reprimand you for not having chance to take lunch so you find yourself clocking out and working so clients aren’t angry you’re behind schedule. Management sucks because they feel they know better when they know nothing about grooming. They don’t stand behind their employees
Pros
The dogs
Cons
No breaks, no lunches, ignorant management and corporate office
Fun place to work if you love working with dogs and cats
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAOctober 22, 2018
It’s fun if you love working with dogs and cats. Everyday is about the same. There can be slower days but majority of the time it’s pretty fast pace..
Safety Hazards
Groomer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 5, 2018
I started working there and quit on my very first day due to the terrible conditions. The groomers didn't seem to think about the safety of the animals. Either that or management was just overlooking all these safety hazards for the dogs in the grooming salon, and letting them so whatever they wanted with the dogs. I came in as an experienced groomer who used to work at Petco who take their safety procedures VERY SERIOUSLY. Wags Hotels is a place where the managers don't pay close enough attention and accidents are inevitable here.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Safety Precautions and Organization
Fun place to work.
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 17, 2018
Wag Hotels is a fun company to work for. Even though it is a corporate company, It retains a family feel within each location. Great staff support and mentoring.
Fun, furry, fast-paced work environment
Guest Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJune 17, 2018
I loved working at Wag Hotels, they worked with my schedule and were so accommodating. The training process was easy and I caught on very quickly. The day to day organization was always taken care of, management was on top of everything and issues were handled quite easily. I wish I never quit but I had to due to a family emergency, my grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung and brain cancer. So I quit to take care of her. However, if I still lived in the area I would love to work there again it is a lovely, trustworthy business to use for your pets when you go out of town, or just need them to be taken care of during the day while your at work. With cameras in every playroom, it gives the clients the comfort of seeing and knowing their lets re safe and satisfied.
Pros
Fun environment, friendly coworkers, flexibility with hours, great management
Fun place to work
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 30, 2018
Working at Wag is very interesting, Your always around dogs and able to play with them on a daily basis. It's alway nice to see your everyday clients come in. Everyone is very friendly and a very up beat work place.
Fun place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 22, 2018
Wag Hotels is a one of a kind experience for any sort of employee who gets to work there. There are different levels of interaction between animals and clients which is nice and makes the work place more balanced. Unlike most jobs, your priority is based all around something (an animal) that can't tell you want you want/ what they need. Working there reminds you why we all fell in love with the innocence of our furry friends.
If you are desperate for work
Groomer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Extremely poor top management, the head honchos care more about making money than they do the dogs, and their employees. Lots of drama, a very toxic atmospvv
Pros
You get to see dogs everyday
Cons
Everything else.
It was fun
All Day Play/ Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 28, 2018
Wag is a fun place to work if you love dogs, however the tasks presented and the time frame to complete them can be aggressive. I worked OT most days.
Corp Management unfair
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMarch 16, 2018
Treats managers like "dogs", which then plays a big part of the managers not being fully supportive of the line staff. It is one big circle and catch up game.
Great, Fast Paced Job!
GUEST SERVICES TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAJanuary 2, 2018
I absolutely loved my Job at Wag and I was very sad to leave. This is a job where you will be constantly on your feet. You need to be good at communicating, have a good attitude, and very hard working. This job isn't playing with dogs all day, it takes a lot of work and dedication but it is SO worth it! Management is awesome and very understanding. Although, as I'm sure many others would agree, back of house does not get paid nearly what we're worth. Honestly though, it's an awesome place to work. Both your managers and the company itself make you feel very appreciated.
Pros
Great management, fun environment
Great place for dog care
Dog handler (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 5, 2018
every employee cares for each pets individual care. all day play lets dogs interact and play with eachother and get individualized care. special events for pets are happening year round
Perfect for people that REALLY love animals
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 2, 2016
** All of these are specific to the San Francisco location. I cannot speak for Oakland, West Sac, or Redwood City branches **

This is the kind of work that is grueling and thankless, but extremely rewarding if you are a pet-parent or wanting a fur-baby of your own and willing to see this as a way of pet-sitting.

If you are willing to put yourself out there, the senior staff are more than welcome to help you out or teach you new things such as dog body language specifics.

There is definitely a specific kind of work culture here, with crude senses of humor that isn't always PC. So if you are the type to be very strict on HR policies, this place probably isn't for you. Despite the casual dress, allowance of funky hair colors (my hair was silver for a while, then blue), piercings, and tattoos, interactions with clients (owners) are always the most professional.

You will have to handle all kinds of bodily fluids from the animals - urine, fecal matter, bile, blood, etc, so don't wear anything you particularly treasure. You will be doing everything from watching the dogs in playgroups, taking out some dogs for one-on-one time, preparing meals and feeding, cleaning rooms, transporting dogs around the facility, administering medications and treats, to reading to the dogs and holding skype sessions between guests and clients (yes, some owners really like to skype with their dogs).

Some owners are what we called "webcam hawks" - and some of the celebrity clients we had were VERY particular. Many of the rooms are equipped with private webcams that the owners have access
  more... to, and if they see ANYTHING amiss they will not be afraid to call Client Services/ the front desk.

The local Board of Directors member is also a huge advocate for this location, as it is sort of the "black sheep" of the Wag family - despite being the most-efficient, having the most experienced and passionate staff, and having the highest volume (occupancy goes well over 300 animals during the holidays), it is often overlooked by the Board and CEO because we have a higher minimum wage than the other locations, therefore labor expenses are higher for us. At least, that was the case when I was working there.

The highlight of the day for me was always cuddling with the animals and bringing them out to their owners at the end of their stay - especially if there are small children in the family. The kids are always hyped to see their puppy, and the dog is always hyped to see them, too.

That being said, they do also board cats, and they are kept in a separate boarding area from the canines. However, there are far fewer rooms, and sometimes cattery duty can get really boring if the cat is grumpy or has no desire to be sociable.
Pros
Tips not generally accepted but the managers use those that insist it on buying pizzas for the staff, cuddling dogs and cats, kind and effective management
Cons
no holidays off, fast-paced, rigorous, somewhat dangerous (as is any job involving handling animals), very specific work culture that not everyone is fit for
Wasn't happy there
Dog Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 20, 2017
Working at Wag is a very demanding job. You are constantly on your feet, running around everywhere doing multiple tasks. They are understaffed so the current employees have to do a lot of work to keep everything running smoothly. The management could use some help as well. It was difficult to communicate with them and they seem to care more about bringing in money than the animals themselves.
If you love working with animals. This is the place
Daycare attendant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CaNovember 15, 2011
I love my job. I get to work with pets 5 days a week, and I couldn't ske for more. There is room for improvement in management, but nothing out of the ordinary. I learn something new everyday.
Hardworking, fast paced, always on task
Dog Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 17, 2017
This was a very fast paced job. Frequently providing customer service. Every day was planned out on a strict schedule. Not usually any leisure time. Coworkers and managers knew how to keep the atmosphere upbeat and enjoyable.
Enjoyable job with lots of furry friends!
All Day Play (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 16, 2017
I worked as All Day Play. I studied dog behavior and made lots of furry friends. I sometimes did mild medical treatment, and helped with guest services. I ported dogs, walked dogs, broke apart scuffles and fights, helped feed and water the animals. The most enjoyable part is being with dogs and taking care of them. The hardest part was sometimes the multitudes of dogs that we had to take care of.