wagamama

wagamama Employee Reviews

United States53 reviews

restaurantfoodfreemanagertimemanagementgoodplace

Okay

Started out good , but unorganized and overall under appreciated. Double standards amongt emoloyees and overall disinterest for the peiple that work the hardest.

Pros

good people

Cons

double standards concern PTO & other benefits/pay

Fun

Good team members to work with very accommodating to any changes in your hours you need handing, as it is a minimum wage job it’s not the greatest of pay for the stress

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Split shifts

wagamama insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Positive and encouraging workplace

I am fairly new to joining this company but I absolutely love the diverse group of people I work alongside. Everyone is welcoming and helpful during the training process. I look forward to growing with wagamama.

Pros

Employee discount even when dining as a guest.

Cons

Shared tips

Low pay

You can’t expect lots of tips.There’s no runner and busser, you need to do everything. Also, take out staffs get tips equally as much as servers get.

Each location is different , which may be good or bad.

I previously worked at the Seaport location ( now closed ) ,and made some awesome money there in the beginning. This is a great place to start serving without experience since they really work with you in training . I believe it takes a few weeks for you to be thrown onto the tip pool , and then you split your tips evenly with the other servers. The money can be good if you're at a very busy location , like prudential . The seaport location really tried to promote and market to the best of their ability , so spending your mornings walking around outside giving out free samples and coupons was a regular occurrence . The best part of the job is the training . They train you to host , serve , bartend , and food run . If you spend enough time here you really leave with a pretty good grasp on how restaurants run .

Pros

Free food depending on shift, hands on training, good work culture, management may allow you to work at other ( busier/more lucrative) locations if they are short

Cons

Be expected to train your incoming peers without additional compensation

Managers don't care!

Don't expect management to care about anything regarding you. Shared Tip pool to promote "teamwork" but most co-workers just slack off while others work hard.

Good team of managers and employees

They are giving an opportunity to newbies in the industry - if you leave good first impression, you got it. Training is paid and they pay exceptional attention to it, very educational.

Pros

Free lunch

Fun place for international people

It was great working at wagamama for three years almost only the are some problems quite often with the payroll system so you have to keep track of your salary and payslips to make sure it is correct

Its was such an amazing people and good environment to live.

its such a cool environment with cool people.Its a very lovely company of which they welcome each and everyone without looking your race,ethnicity etc.They give you an opportunity to grow yourself and become a better person.

Pros

They have affordable price for each and every dish they have at restaurant, and all dishes are awesome.

Cons

short time working ours.day offs it was incredible.

Not great

Decent place to work, great for student, it used to be nice having tips, now the job is not worth it. People were fired instead of being put on furloughed

Good Money, Fast Paced, Long/ Hard Shifts, Drama.

I worked for Wagamama for like 3 years. I made a bunch of money because the tips were always really good. That’s because I worked in a rich and busy area. Careful which location you choose! I worked at Prudential center in Boston. Shifts were usually long and grueling. I would be tired, smelly and in a bad mood when each shift was over but the money made it worth it to me. I was in college and needed it. Just like with any restaurant, there was a lot of petty drama and most the managers were not good at handling it. There were only 2 good managers at my location and the rest were either useless or played favorites. Also some managers had inappropriate relationships with staff. Again.. most restaurants you’ll have this stuff. Yikes!Good news is if you’re a person who likes working extra shifts/ over time they are not stingy with it at the busy locations cause they need as many workers on as possible. It gets SLAMMED and as long as you can quickly get through tables while providing amazing service you’ll make FAT tips. For example: my last summer there I was able to save up like $10,000 for my move to california. Also! No worries if you have tattoos, piercings or crazy hair! They actually love that stuff and I respect them for it.

Pros

Free lunches, tattoo and piercing friendly, work parties, over time, good pay, fair break times, you’ll learn a lot.

Cons

Drama, favoritism, hectic/ stressful, long shifts usually, tiring work, Fast paced, ugly uniforms.

Fun place to work

The ability to help others learning something new every day being around positive people. Giving customers a clean and warming environment to eat and dine at

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Not enough health coverage

Depends on the managers

Can be a fun place to work based on your co-workers but managers can either make a great working environment or a stressful and frustrating one. Wagamama is a UK based company so sometimes they ship in people from the UK to manage US stores which has its pros and cons.

Pros

Free food, good tips if you're a hard worker

Cons

Share tips, other people don't pull their own weight

Fun

Nice and fun place to work, good tips, and free food. If you're looking for a nice part-time job go for this. Especially if you're a student. You won't regret it!

I very much enjoyed my time at wagamamas

I feel like my time at wagamamas was one of great personal and professional growth and a very happy time of my life. work days are stressful and long but the great workplace environment help you through it and you come back stronger each day.

Overall 4 stars

An Overall good company to work for.learn new ideas and dishes.full charge ,roomto grow,friendly people, disciplined and a great team of managers, coworkers and staff generally. A great place to learn and grow in the field of culinary arts. Beautiful environment.Family oriented.Full of laughter and happiness.one of the best

Worst place to work

This was my first job and honestly I hated every day that I worked there. All the management care about is money, they don’t care about their employees at all. They always talk about making customers happy but how can a customer be happy if the waiter/waitress isn’t happy? And the management don’t care about that at all. They play favourites as well, if you’re not their favourite best believe you will be getting the worst shifts including Christmas & New Years. The whole environment is just very toxic to work in, there’s no room for progression unless they like you. Someone who worked few months that they like will get the promotion over someone who worked there for years and knows way more about the job than the new one. But hey, I’m not the management to judge! xD

Excellent

Very nice and very friendly Excellent service and excellent food

Pros

Lunch times

Cons

30 minutes

Fun place to work in!

Everyone who I worked with was awesome. Didn't really have any complaints, they took the time to teach me what I needed to strive at the work place. I'd go work there again in a heat beat.

A very diverse and tourist location, a lot of teamwork and money is good.

I worked about one year at Wagamama, I enjoyed it very much. The only thing that was not too good was the management at the time, the person's attitude was very negative or indifferent. I also felt like you have to clean a lot and take care of the place in a extreme manner, the money was good for me, I made some friends and the tourism makes it fun since you're interacting with different cultures every day.

Good money and atmosphere

Wagamama is a great place to work and has a culture of its own. All locations get a decent amount of business and are lucrative. Breaks and Shift meals are always provided! Management is professional, down to earth, and very understanding. Flexible hours allow you to work here while going to school full time or even having another job. Definitely recommend it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at wagamama. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits