Waitr Inc Employee Reviews

I love waitr!!!
Operations (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 8, 2018
Great management, flexible schedule, great team to work with! HIGHLY recommend working here. You can't get any better than this. Family friendly bosses, people with outstanding work ethic, and endless coffee. Home away from home.
Not worth it
Driver (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 1, 2018
This is a decent part-time job if you're like in high school or college, but nowhere near as amazing as they make it out to be. The $13-$17 per hour is a lie. On average it pays between $8 and $9 an hour.
You get $5 an hour but that basically covers your gas money since you'll be filling up at least 2 times a week, more so if you work closer to 40 hours than the minimum 20. They technically will give you a gas card, BUT it requires making 350 drops a month. On average you'll probably get 2, maybe 3 to 4 an hour, so some simple math shows you'd have to work a LOT of double shifts to reach that number. It's nothing achievable by working part time.

The tips are inconsistent but I personally never had any amazing tips days in the several weeks I worked there. I've made $20 off of 8 deliveries, $60 off of 10 deliveries and $60 off of 19 deliveries. I was much just as likely to average under $3.5 a tip as I was to average over $5 a tip. It doesn’t help Waitr charges a $5 driver fee that I’m sure some customers might assume goes straight to us.

It also is a LOT of wear on your car, which means I had my oil change pushed up like 2 whole months. I do not recommend this job at all if you car has poor mileage. Most shifts are between 4-5 hours, give or take 30 minutes. That essentially means at least two days a week the base pay of $5 an hour went straight to gas.

The only positive thing is you get to pick what shifts you want on what days, and the only requirement besides working 20 hours a week minimum is working at least once on Saturday or Sunday.
Pros
Flexible. You pick the days you want to work and pick from a set shift of hours.
Cons
Low pay, bascially no mileage/gas reimbursement, lot of wear on car.
False Advertising
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 29, 2018
It said i would have $10+ an hour and when i got into an interview it was only $5 which is not enough to even keep a car running so you would be losing more than you make.
Pros
Meeting Nice People
Cons
No Benefits
Not worth it
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 27, 2018
I currently work for Waitr and I can tell you there is no protection or fail safe in place whatsoever to protect you from people that leave a very low tip or no tip at all.There is no minimum tip amount for purchases of any amount and no minimum tip amount for long distance deliveries.Management when I was first hired was extremely unorganized and would try to blame the employees for not knowing certain things or try to say they put the info out in the announcements.I quickly pointed out on the issues involving myself at least that I was never explained to the info I needed to know and that it was in fact never posted in announcements.The main complaint and point of why you shouldn't work for this company is that there are no protections in place to protect drivers from customers not tipping at all.For example I worked yesterday night which was Friday and did 7 deliveries.This morning I check my app and I made 8$,thats it literally.So all that driving,all that time and effort for nothing and waitr has nothing in place to prevent that.From experience,I've been with the company for about 3 months,I would say now about 30-35% of the customers either don't tip at all or will tip a dollar just so they can say they did.Its not worth it people this company is taking advantage of their drivers and enabling other people to do so as welm.Most of the time you will either break even with the gas money you spend or be in the whole like me this week,not as a result of not working my butt off,but because people are more than willing to screw people over and this company is fine with not having  more... rules in place to prevent that because they take their fee up front and screw the driver.I do not work for or represent any of Waitr's competitors,but I do know some of them actually pay for some of your gas on top of paying you hourly as well.If you are intent on working for a food delivery company I would recommend Grubhub as they seem to at least take care of their drivers a little better.  less
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No to low tips, no protections in place
If you dont make money your doing it wrong
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 21, 2018
I see these reviews about not making money and all this so I made $800 last week yes in one week and the company is going to end up paying us more somehow some way I average about $500 a week but I can make as much as I want If I grind
Good job to make some extra cash
Part Time Driver (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAOctober 19, 2018
I worked part time about 20-30 hours a week while holding another job with about the same hours. Waitr was INCREDIBLY accommodating to my other job anytime something came up. Shifts are only about 3-5 hours with a 20 hour minimum for part time and 30 for full time. Overtime was plentiful in a busy market like Lafayette. My advice to anyone is to try it first before you judge based on these reviews. It's not a job for everyone. It can be incredibly stressful, but a big thing that helped me were music and podcasts. I also advise you to keep up a spreadsheet of your income and expenses. I made a lot more than what I thought after all the math. My average was about $10-12 AFTER gas, which hilariously enough was more than I made at my career job. Management was pretty much nonexistent aside from daily in-chat notices in the app. The customer service department were fantastic to work with.

Seriously. Just apply. The application process takes like 10 minutes. If you don't like it, don't stay but I have a ton of friends who are in love with this company. You've got nothing to lose.
Pros
Lots of discounts at local businesses, low management, basically work for yourself, listen to whatever you want, meet some really cool people
Cons
Pay could be better, stressful during rush hours, driving in traffic, wears your car down
Waitr is awesome
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAOctober 16, 2018
I only worked for Waitr 12 hours then my car broke down. It was a very friendly atmosphere and as soon as I get another vehicle I will apply again. I advise anyone reading these reviews to try the job out for yourself before judging. I really enjoyed working for Waitr and cannot Wait to go back :)
Pros
Making your own schedule
Cons
Having a ragedy vehicle
Low pay, delivery dispatch
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 5, 2018
Don’t waste your time. It was only 5$ an hour while I was there. They don’t pay anything for gas. I sat around for two hours requesting a delivery and never got one. I would click to claim it and would be told it was dispatched to someone else. Several times I did this at the time it became eligible to be dispatched. After a couple hours I said rnough with it and clocked out. I think it averaged out to about 8$ an hour when all was said and done, maybe slightly higher. Soooo not worth it.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, uneven delivery dispatching
Please don't waste your time, destroy your vehicle, and accept less than the best!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 30, 2018
I had high hopes upon getting hired with waitr and then I began to see the ultimate reality. Upon accepting customers orders you never know the exact amount the customer tipped you for that particular delivery. Who's to say management didn't take a portion of it and kept it for themselves...the greedy keeps getting greedy...the rich keeps getting richer... where the poor is taken advantage of and left to struggle with constant wear and tear on vehicle, no reimbursement for mileage nor gas. The delivery drivers are hurting while the company, restaurant, and customers are benefiting. There is definitely a serious need for change and compensating drivers for the hard work they do on a daily. Very disappointed!!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
All within the review itself.
Good Side Job, wouldn't recommend as primary source of income
Lead Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 29, 2018
The pay on the job varies dramatically, you make 5.25 plus tips, some weeks are great some barely scrape minimum wage. The wear on your car is insane. I drove 25 thousand miles in 5 months working fulltime. Company has 0 payouts for mileage, gas, oil, tires instead they offer bonuses....but they dont uphold them. Out of the 4 bonuses I earned, Ive received two of them (and both of those were more than a month after they were earned). It is important to note that some insurances will not cover you without paying for commercial insurance that is twice the normal coverage rate. If you opt out of getting commercial, and you are in a wreck on the job you are out Waitr will not cover it and neither will your insurance(just pray you are not at fault and that the other driver has insurance). I know 2 employees lost their vehicles completely because of this. I could see this being great for students with old cars they dont care about, or side job.

Oh and the make your own schedule is not entirely true. There are set shifts you pick from and they go on first come first serve. You MUST schedule a certain amount of hours. Sometimes most shifts are picked up and you are left with the worst possible shifts. They removed shifts longer than 5 hours so now to work full time you have to work two shifts on most your days.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Wear on vehicle, inconsistent pay, bonuses not honored
It’s what you make of it
Lead/Tech Driver (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 24, 2018
Lots of potential to make money if you put in the time and work . Management is understanding, life and work life well balanced. Flexible schedule that you pick yourself.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not knowing how the week will be for pay ( tips)
Not the worst job in the world but could be so much better.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LASeptember 23, 2018
The job is okay for what it is. I just needed to save some money to go back to school. Nothing about the job is particularly challenging but the multitasking can get very stressful at times. They need to move to a bigger office and HIRE MORE people so that the work load is evenly distributed and tasks are able to get completed in a timely and efficient manner. The city managers are always on “interviews” but ironically never have enough drivers in their market, making my job a lot harder. You don’t get breaks. You can leave your desk to use the restroom and that’s about it. If you’re gone for even 10 minutes your workload will increase every second you’re not sitting at your desk and you’ll probably get yelled at. If you’re working night shifts, the work/life balance is absolutely horrible. Certain supervisors get off on micromanaging and belittling you.
Pros
Having a job, free lunch sometimes, seems easy to move up within the company if you’re willing to be a lapdog.
Cons
No breaks, Mandatory overtime when you work nights, no part-time positions available, not getting paid enough for all you’re expected to do at once
Very steady and chill
Lead / Tech Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 22, 2018
I love this job because I love driving I love meeting new people and experiencing new adventures it's super fun and easy to do hassle free no micro management and you dont have a home base you can literally clock in where ever you are. It's steady and it has structure compared to other food delivery apps. It's my only job and I make enough to take care of me and 3 other people and pay the bills.
Pros
Advancment, good tips, good people, easy, steady.
Cons
No gas and mileage reimbursements.
Its good for extra hours, but there is no gaurentee in pay
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 22, 2018
There are great days, and not so great days. Pay is not guaranteed. You have to spend money on gas, oil changes, car issues. Good for college students and to make some extra money on the side but "part time" is 20 hours a week, no less. So its not for everyone.
Don't waste your time
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 20, 2018
Please do not make the mistake I did of coming here thinking that you will be stable and happy. You won't! Stressing everyday about how much you are going to make to pay the next utility bill or car payment is not worth it. Continue your job search and pray. You will find something that will benefit you in the end unlike this horrible place. I have and I'm officially quitting today and amazingly, I feel nothing but happiness and relief!!

Do not work here unless you want to suck the City Manager's toes to get paid more...
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Wear and tear, non-caring CM, waste of gas, $5/hr pay
Fun place to work
Lead Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I like the flexibility in scheduling. I am a people person so I love working with the restaurant partners and customers. I love the fast pace of the job.
Pros
Flexibility
Awesome Job
Lead Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I originally started working for WAITR to make some extra Christmas cash but the job is easy and the money is good I am still doing it almost a year later. I enjoy being in control of making my own schedule and the freedom to work without someone standing over your shoulder. The management team is awesome and as long as you follow what few rules this company has they do not hassle you. Some say the money is not good but if you hustle work the right shifts and hours there is plenty of income to be made at this job. I always say if you aren't making money with WAITR you are doing it wrong. I highly recommend working for waitr for anyone looking for a second job or even as a main job.
Pros
make your own schedule, good income
Cons
mileage and vehicle wear and tear
Very flexible hours, would not recommend as sole employment
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LASeptember 18, 2018
The work is easy as long as you do what you're supposed to, and its great for scheduling around school or other employment since you can create your own schedule. Management is also great about working with their employees and keeping a fun/relaxed camaraderie. Very fast paced job on busy nights, and decent tips.
Pros
Make your own schedule, good management, benefits for full time
Cons
Not good for long term or if your car isn't gas efficient, no gas reimbursement
Great culture and work environment
Former Driver/Current Assistant City Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I worked as a driver for Waitr for almost two years. I was able to go to school and hustle to pay my bills at the same time. I was also given the opportunity to move up and become an Assistant City Manager. I love Waitr because they value their employees and promote from within. We are well taken care of and feel like we matter as employees. It is more of a team/ family environment which makes coming to work everyday a lot more enjoyable.
Very bad
Driver (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 14, 2018
At the beginning they said you can make 18$ per hour, but it's a lie, if i make 10$, i have to pay 15$ for gas!!!
Don't come work at this job! Don't waste your time!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitr Inc. Our community is ready to answer.