Waitr Inc Employee Reviews

Great culture and work environment
Former Driver/Current Assistant City Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I worked as a driver for Waitr for almost two years. I was able to go to school and hustle to pay my bills at the same time. I was also given the opportunity to move up and become an Assistant City Manager. I love Waitr because they value their employees and promote from within. We are well taken care of and feel like we matter as employees. It is more of a team/ family environment which makes coming to work everyday a lot more enjoyable.
Very bad
Driver (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 14, 2018
At the beginning they said you can make 18$ per hour, but it's a lie, if i make 10$, i have to pay 15$ for gas!!!
Don't come work at this job! Don't waste your time!
No pay incentive
Waitr Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 13, 2018
The money you make is not enough for gas and time spent. After changing the system so drivers can’t see what orders they are picking up, it’s simply not enough driving across town to deliver one item for a $1 tip.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No pay
Waitr driver review
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 11, 2018
I agree a with other employees and former employees. Pay is not good. Tips are hit and miss. Would be nice to have a mandatory tip percentage. Pay raises if any, are never discussed. 5.00 an hour + mileage reimbursement would probably keep more drivers around as well and slow down the turnover rate. Having a partnership with a company that offers discount car maintenance to drivers would be a nice thing too.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay
pretty bad
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 11, 2018
pay was terrible, management was not understandable to real life situations. you could be in a car accident they still would say you NEED to find someone to cover your shift if not you have to come in.
Still waiting for security deposit refund
driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 7, 2018
Turned in my things months ago. Corporate never issued my refund of the security deposit taken from your check. I earned PTO and I wasn't paid for that either. Waitr has kept my $20. Pay is better at a fast food place for most people.
Pros
flexible schedule, no office
Cons
less than minimum wage pay, no office to deal with after you leave company
Waitr? I Barely Know Her
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 5, 2018
While Waitr makes a lot of promises and talks a big game about the culture, you are wasting your time. The name is a good choice because you’ll end up making about as much as a waiter in a brick and mortar restaurant does...only you are responsible for the wear and tear on your car. And people NEVER tip because they think that $5 delivery fee goes straight to the drivers to help cover costs so they don’t have to tip!

Another thing worth mentioning...if you don’t have unlimited data included with your phone plan, you are in for a very rude awakening. You also have absolutely no benefits and the only true way to make at least somewhat of a decent living is to be a contract worker, where you make $5.00 an hour. The catch is you will owe money to the IRS in back taxes at the end of the fiscal year. To avoid that, you can work part-time (like I did) and make a measly $2.50 an hour plus (non-existent) tips. They’ll go ahead and take the taxes out for you though so at least you won’t have to worry about that.

The saddest part is everyone is very nice and I could always depend on the management and HR, but it’s just not worth it financially. In fact, I just received a letter from the U.S. Department of Labor I may not have received fair wages (ha) and that Waitr is being investigated by the FLSA. However, probably due to the fact that I only worked there for 4 months last year, no further action will be taken to receive my back wages. So, if you want to be underpaid and denied the opportunity to receive fair wages, then this job is for you!
Pros
Flexible schedule, good management
Cons
Underpaid, no benefits, no room for advancement
Extra cash
Waitr Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA 70809September 4, 2018
Don't do this for a full time job like i tried. It's great for extra cash, but gas prices will kill your tips. Other than that the job is easy since it's all managed though the app. Dispatch and management are usually on point and there to help you through anything.

Good college side hustle or parent job when the kids are at school.
Pros
You work out of your own office
Cons
large area means more gas you have to pump.
Not at all worth it
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 2, 2018
As others have mentioned in their reviews, the pay specified in the job description is a LIE. This is strictly a job for extra money...it is not at all a living wage. If you make $5 an hour you're lucky. Customers rarely tip, and that is on top of having to pay for all the extra gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. Near constant employee turnover; most likely due to the aforementioned issues. City manager did not seem to care about this; all he was worried about was the customer. Overall, NOT a good place to work.
Pros
Nothing really. I guess it was nice not being behind a desk all day
Cons
Where do I start?
From Merchandiser to Waitr
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LASeptember 2, 2018
As a part-time Merchandiser and student, I could barely make ends meet. Financial struggle was my name! With Waitr, I am able to schedule work around school, Internship, life. If I need more hours. I can pick up those hours. Sure there is wear and tear with your car, yet, that is with any delivery service. Work is fast pace, time goes by fast and you meet wonderful people. Tips are really great. You earn from $10.00 an hour and up depending on tips and hours worked. It is truly an enjoyable job. I love my job! It's not really that hard of a job and the team is awesome!
Pros
Reasonable pay. Flexible schedule, great management, hard workers, determined and diligent team!
Cons
Wear and tear on car, gas usage.
It works for a 2nd job more or less.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 29, 2018
Firstly, the hourly 13-17$ an hour pay on indeed or other job board site are a lie, you actually get paid 5$ an hour. Secondly even though they say you work your own hours depending on how many people working in your region area within a 15 to 30 miles radius you have to be super early to get the shift you want otherwise you'll no choice but to work a shift that isn't really suited with you. Thirdly when you on delivery the mile radius of the delivery app is suppose to range from 5 to 10 mile range in order to get food to the customer as quick as possible by giving the order to the driver that's closest however lot of the time you get assigned orders that don't match with within the mile that go over the mile range for food even though there are other drivers much closer. Fourth you will never get promoted at all unless they need people to be which is super selective and even in that you can never be a city manager cause all them work in another city giving you orders... Fifth and last thing, you drive YOUR OWN CAR so if anything happens such as accidents, Waitr will NOT compensate. They promise at their interviews to offer discounts and gas cards for your car buy never delivers and then say after you hire that's your responsibility to keep up your own car.
Pros
You be to yourself while you work making the job simple
Cons
Lack of pay and support for your car.
Fast paced and great opportunity for advancement!
City Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 29, 2018
I was a driver for Waitr for ~1 year. It was hard at times and I definitely incurred some expenses related to vehicle maintenance and repair. That said, it was rewarding and I felt that I was paid fairly. As a full time driver, I had access to a variety of healthcare benefits as well as PTO. I was also given the opportunity to advance to a Tech and Marketing Driver role and eventually became a Mentor Driver(all are now considered Lead Drivers). After a year as a driver, I was given the opportunity to relocate and move into a City Manager position and have been a CM for ~1.5 years. While I work a lot of hard hours every week, it is the most rewarding job I have ever had. Working with my driver team as well as my regional and corporate team has been the best work experience of my career. The pay and benefits are very solid and I feel like my work is appreciated. The ability to start as a driver and advance into any number of other positions is one of the very best aspects of Waitr. No matter your background, if you're smart, talented, and dedicated, you have an opportunity to advance yourself and your career.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Advancement Opportunity
i dont care
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 25, 2018
your car will be totaled soon. no good benefits. people are horrible drivers. no help with your car. your car, your problem. dont do it. other people act like children throwing tantrums.
Pros
Cons
your life savings is spent on your car
You are better off working somewhere else
Delievery Driver (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALAugust 24, 2018
The tips are absolutely terrible on top of my fuel expenses.
If your car doesn't have 30+mpg I would recommend something else, otherwise you would make less than $10 an hour.
Waitr's market share is minimal to none in the country, sooner or later Grubhub/UberEats will take over wherever that's profitable, no advancement in my opinion.
Pros
Schedule Picking, Minimal Supervising
Cons
Mileage, Gas Expense, Bad Tips
Waitr
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 23, 2018
A fun place to work, pay is not very good. But the culture is wonderful and is a place that has great leaders. Waitr is a delivery company that is fast growing and has a great working environment.
Pros
fun, schedule
Cons
pay
I sometimes paid out of pocket to work for them
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 23, 2018
$5 an hour plus tips sounds great until you realize ppl do not tip!

the menu price is already inflated to cover the percentage the business pays to have their restaurant on the platform and then the customer pays an additional $5 delivery fee that WaitR Inc. keeps so the customer already has about $5-8 added to their base price before tip. I don't blame them for not wanting to add an additional $5 to the order for a tip ( what I would consider a low end tip for delivery). I often times delivered $20 - $30 orders where the tip was less than $2! sometimes $0!! At the end of the day I averaged $15 - $20 in tips and $25 in wages both of which were taxed. So take out gas and you are left with about $4 an hour. NOT WORTH IT ! RUN! Uber pays way better and you do not have to commit to a schedule.
Pros
none really
Cons
not enough pay
I enjoyed being able to pick my own schedule
Food Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus,GaAugust 16, 2018
I lasted 3.5 months. The first day of orientation the “City Manager” complained about people quitting. This is the same day I was told that pay is actually $5/hr plus tips (So what the description is advertising is EXTREMELY false) My Manager sucked, I could tell she wasn’t trained properly, and EVERY rush she panicked under the pressure. Dash aren’t any better either. Employees dropped like flies! There is so many issues with the set up. This is an extremely easy job but became stressful due to under trained management and being understaffed EVERY SHIFT (Called almost EVERYDAY begging people to come in early and help out)! This isn’t a long term job and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Although the customers were a joy to service and meet, the management and restaurant employees nasty attitudes aren’t worth dealing with for only $5/hr.
Pros
Pick your own schedule, meet new people, etc
Cons
Bad management, low pay/ no guaranteed tips, etc
I enjoy working with Waitr.
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Harahan, LAAugust 16, 2018
Working for Waitr is a fun, fast paced, yet relaxed environment. As long as you schedule for 12+ hours, work on scheduled days or try to find a replacement for the hours you scheduled, provide excellent customer service with customers and professional services with the restaurant and get to the restaurants and customers in a timely manner the job is fun and rewarding.
Could be a great job
Contract Driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXAugust 15, 2018
They do not pay what they advertise. I trained several that were expecting a pay they wouldn’t receive. I had a legal/security/safety concern with 2 employees & management did nothing.
Pros
Employee set schedule
Cons
Low pay
Relaxed and Easy
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Groves, TXAugust 15, 2018
Relaxed not too serious of a place to work. Pretty slack on most stuff just follow the rules. Easy, if you know what you're doing it's a breeze. Over all good company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitr Inc. Our community is ready to answer.