Wake County Government Employee Reviews

Your Welcome May Be Waiting at Wake
Human Services Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 14, 2019
Wake County is a definite gem with competitive pay and awesome benefits. As a county employee you have to appreciate all the efforts put forth by the county to ensure that it stays that way.
under paid
Paramedic Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2019
employees work non-stop in a necessary job saving lives, but are compensated less than garbage truck drivers. In today's day and age the compensations should be at least double for what is expected of them.
steady workplace
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 17, 2018
A steady workplace if you like things to just be simple and balanced no surprises. The work is easy to get used to and they offer a steady schedule and lunch with breaks
Provided great exposure and opportunity.
MASTER DETENTION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 10, 2018
• Performed initial physical search, confiscation, and inventory of all personal and unauthorized items. Recorded personal/medical information and obtained fingerprints and mug shots.
• Assured prisoner security prior to processing into a housing unity or bond release. Transported on average 20 detainees per month from jail to courts, schools, hospitals, and other facilities.
• Controlled the operation of each internal/external door and floor elevator to ensure security.
awesome place to work depending on program or department
Human Services Clinician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 8, 2018
I can't say enough great things about working with this agency and particularly with the program in which I worked. I had great program managers who cared about the populations served as well as employees in the program. Hated to see changes which impacted the reduction in behavioral health services and the departure of many needed services for County residents......first the closing of DDH, then the the elimination of county behavioral health services, now news of mass shootings (it's not rocket science, people).
Pros
family environment, great benefits and perks, caring services offered to difficult populations
Cons
reduction in workforce eliminated many good, needed services which impacted mental health concerns
Excellent County/Municipal Gov't System
Elections Specialist - Staffing, Training, Recr. (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 1, 2018
Wake County was a great place to work. Located right downtown Raleigh, it was close to everything. My co-workers, the job, the benefits, the location, everything was great. The only downside was a lack of advancement, especially in the department I worked in. Unless a supervisor resigned, it was hard to be promoted into the next role, hence why I left.
Pros
Benefits, Work-Life Balance, Management, Culture
Cons
Lack of Advancement
great place to work at
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 24, 2018
i was a manager and really enjoyed working at the school system and made alot of friends. the people were hard workers and i learned alot. and the best part was the schooling.
good
Cons
Management doesn’t include workers in decision making
Disease intervention Specialist/Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 10, 2018
While working at Wake County has many positive advantages, the one large deficit is the management staff not realizing the benefits of truly listening to the ones that are doing the real work.
Low morale
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 22, 2018
Everyone is not on the same page when it comes to policy and procedure. Not everyone is treated fairly. Supervisors are friends with the officers and treat others harshly.
Poll Worker
Poll Worker (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 20, 2018
Your are trained in everything you need to know to do the task. You will be crossed trained and you can voluteer to do any number of task. Love that it is onlyk a couple of times a year
Pros
Training
Cons
Seasonal
Good
In-home Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 21, 2018
The agency is fair. They try to be uniform in pay and compensation. The agency is clean. Instruction and job duties are sometimes unclear but management sometimes helps out.
OK place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 6, 2018
Ok place to work but could be better. Came from craven county was able to take my time with me which was good. Wake County does have a high turnover rate.
Program Specialist
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 2, 2018
Assist personnel with any issues they are having with the New NCFAST system Collaborate with other offices to resolves issues and put new policies into place.
Master Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 25, 2018
This job entails working around inmates daily. Decent pay and benefits. My job requires extensive attention to details. I work M-F 7-4, however there are various shifts in the detention division. Must be willing to work 12 hour shifts typically 0700-1900 or 1900-0700
It ok
North Carolina (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 21, 2018
It was ok i would reccomend better pay in pto and vacation pay i felt like i did just as much wrk as the other employment and got paid way less than them
Pros
Time of work
Cons
They pay rate
Worst place ever to work!!!
Human Services Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 20, 2018
Stay away. Incompetent management. Uneducated supervisors. Managers are bullied and will bully you on the job. Don’t work here. You will develop health issues due to the amounts of stress.
Be a Member of the Community
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 19, 2018
My favorite thing about working for Wake County is how close to the community I felt. I formed strong relationships with our customers, and was supported by management to do so.

Benefits, while not perfect, were fair-to-good and I felt well-compensated for my work.
Not a good place to work
North Carolina (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 7, 2018
If you don't fit in right away you're as good as gone. Management doesn't appreciate you. Old systems, always afraid to do something new. You are accused of things you don't do and penalized for them. Not a good place to work. Lots of turnover.
Caseworker Adult Medicaid
HS Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 6, 2018
I did not have a good experience working at Wake County. I found that the “rules” are not applied equally to all employees. Human Resources are not there for the employees they usually protect the supervisors, trainers, and managers. Supervisors have gotten away with having DUIs and criminal charges yet, they have shown me that they are not willing to make adjustments for certain caseworkers when it comes to minor non criminal situations. IT IS ALL A POPULARITY CONTEST.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Not enough opportunity for advancement, Terrible Management
Worst place I have ever worked.
Elections Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 31, 2018
Management is a disaster. Poor planning, culture of abuse and driving people down. No leadership or management skills at even a base level. Bring issue forward and you were ignored. Week later the presented the same issue as something they discovered and you failed to address. Could not be happier to be out of that toxic environment. Other department I am sure are much better. BOE is a train wreck.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Garbage management.