Wake Technical Community College Management reviews

Good Employer
Supervisor of HR Development (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 12, 2019
Recently retired president cared about employees. The college welcomes a new president soon. Compensation is competitive. There are a lot of roles on can hold.
Wake Tech has been such an learning work experience!
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 5, 2018
The workplace culture at Wake Tech has been enjoyable and inclusive. Management has always been understanding of the flexibility I need as an adjuct instructor.
Pros
Flexibility
Outstanding Place to Work, Treat You Like Family.
Dean of Government Relations (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 23, 2018
Wake Tech has been a great place to make use of the experience and skills that I have developed during my career. My background is in government relations and the college was willing to create a government affairs office to expand its outreach to the legislative and executive branches of government, as well as other organizations that support it. At the time of this review, the search for a new president was nearing its final stages, but the history of the college in terms of its senior leadership has been distinguished and outstanding. It's consistently rated as one of the great colleges to work for, and as my career in the public sector begins to near its end, I am so glad that I chose here as my last stop in that higher education experience. The state allows few perks, but the administration here adds more - paid dental and vision insurance, opportunities to use fitness center and gym, professional development programs, and a willingness to allow telecommuting in many cases.
Academically poor
Professor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 23, 2018
College is governed in a top-down fashion, no academic liberty, poor academic level, no possibility to inquiry and develop professionally.

All levels of the college as subservient to the imperatives of the management. It is governed imperially, no opinions are looked for nor desired.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 19, 2018
Good place to work; high integrity within our department - always has been. High quality of leadership, respect, and positive feedback. Very much enjoyed working there.
No Work Life Balance
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 1, 2018
Forget about working at Wake Tech during the summer months if you have small children in daycare. Management isn't flexible during the summer months when you have to work 10 hour days. You might be late picking up your children from daycare.
Pros
Cons
No Work Life Balance
Excellent work place
Instructor of Chemistry (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 7, 2018
Excellent place to work. People are very kind and helpful. Management is very thorough, and adequate continuing education and career development programs in place
Ok
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 27, 2017
I worked in a grocery store where I am the youngest one at that store. Some people do not speak English. The management is not that bad but could be much better.
Excellent Employer
High School Equivalency Ajunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC 27609October 29, 2017
Wake Tech is an excellent employer. I only look at possibly leaving to relocate closer to family. Training, opportunities, management, salary, and working conditions are all excellent.
Good Place to Work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 29, 2017
Work days are typically brief
Easily one of the most fulfilling career choices
Management is helpful and supportive
Moral is typically high and fellow faculty is supportive and helpful
Students keep faculty engaged and motivated
Maintaining variety in lesson planning can be rightfully challenging
Assisting students in achieving academic success is worth difficulty
Pros
Access to campus facilities, unique and unparalleled experience
Cons
No benefits for adjunct faculty, adjunct pay could be better
One of the Great Places to Work - Period
Dean of Sponsored Programs (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 28, 2017
Wake Tech has received several awards as a great place to work, and that's been my experience as well. It is lead by a forward-thinking chief executive who has created and fosters a culture of innovation that has made the college among the top three fastest-growing large community colleges in the country for the past three years running. Of all the places where I have worked, this has been the most supportive and the most rewarding. As I approach retirement with the state, I can highly recommend Wake Tech as a place where workers at the beginning, midpoint, or end of their careers will find fulfillment and personal satisfaction.
Wake tech
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 3, 2017
work was fun there
i learned to stock and count supplies in order
the management was great
the workplace culture was great
there was really no hard part of the job
i am a peoples person so, the most enjoyable part was the great people that was employed there.
WTCC has always provided me with opportunities for growth and advancement.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 2, 2016
Co-workers work together. Management is current on research based instructional needs for students. The best part of my job is, of course, the students. I receive my energy, motivation and satisfaction when I can be a part of the journey toward a student's goals.
Adjunct Exploitation At Its Best
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineMay 27, 2016
Adjuncting for Wake Tech (Social Sciences) was essentially an exercise in worker exploitation. The department chair set unrealistic expectations (ex. 6-8 hour email turnaround, 7 days a week), particularly for part-time faculty earning $1500 per course. Micro-management to the extreme at all levels from department to college. Contracts were completed so late that the BlackBoard site was available to instructor only a few days prior to start of semester. Student feedback was largely positive, yet there were complaints from the department regarding grading/teaching style. (Ex. Student is given a clear rubric and opportunity to ask questions of the instructor, but performs so poorly that there's literally nothing to say other than "Please refer to the rubric when completing this assignment. This is unacceptable.". Instructor reprimanded for "only" saying this - more comprehensive feedback to other students was ignored.) At the end of the semester, there was no "thank you for working with us" or any such generic closing out email, which would have been the professional way to proceed regardless of whether or not an instructor is returning. Access to email/WebAdvisor was shut down at close of semester, but before contract was fully paid, so there's no access to pay information/stubs. Overall a strangely terrible and ridiculous teaching experience that I would not recommend.
Outstanding company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 5, 2015
This position is part of my Medical Office Administration degree program. It is a co-operative learning experienced designed to help me use my education in a real world application. I am expected to help schedule and organize all courses, faculty and student schedules in the Business and Accounting departments. I help organize this as well as proof the schedules to make sure there no over laps in times and space. I also help my supervisor grade papers and post grades online. In my spare time I have also organized three offices for more efficient record retrieval as well as organized electronic files for ease of use. Other duties I have been assigned have been the creation of statistical reports on student retention rates over the last 10 years. Lastly, I have created handouts and brochures for students and faculty.
The atmosphere, coworkers, and management have all been a pleasure to work in and around. They all have helped take the time to learn the programs needed to do the scheduling and logistics needed. Also, they will explain the workings of how a college as large as Wake Tech runs. Though this is probably the hardest part of my job is understanding why some things are done the way they are. The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety and constantly having work to do.
Great place to be for part time
Revit Instructor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 11, 2015
Typical day is to start class and instruct, having fun while doing it.

I have learned that no matter how prepared, some always pops up.

Management is there to support you.

We are there for each other when needed.

The hardest part of the job is the paperwork (which is not to say much).

Most enjoyable part of the job is handing out Certificates to the students who worked hard to get them.
Pros
The entire job is a pro.
Cons
We meet only once a week
Professional and an enjoyable place to work
Information Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 29, 2014
On a typical day I would help students with the application process and help students register for classes. I learn that we have illegal immigrants here who can only stay here to work or go to school. The management was very professional and helpful with any project if I became stuck and always offered me multiple project to work on and learn new procedures. My co-workers are very helpful and kind people to work along side of. the hardest part of the job was NOTHING. I got to offer customer service and deal with the public, work on interesting projects, and reorganize the course catalog. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the students with enrolling and registering for classes.
Pros
work with different instructors
Fun place to work
Volunteer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 22, 2014
Administration duties. Placed all job requirements on computer and was able to turn a 40 hour job in about 25 hours of actual work.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Bored
Real estate
Disability Student Services (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, ncMay 28, 2014
Sold houses. Typical was at the office following up on leads. I learned how to be a salesman.
Management was unfair to employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Main CampusApril 19, 2014
The work itself was very rewarding because you worked directly with students and faculty. The downside was that the staff and management of this particular group was unfair and unprofessional in making sure that all employees were comfortable in learning and doing their job with the knowledge and tools needed to perform everyday task.
There was an obvious separatism between certain management and staff that caused the work environment to be hostile and inappropriate in one department. This department has had a large turnover rate due to the situation and may or may not have been resolved by upper management.
Pros
Working with students in a learning environment was great
Cons
Working for dramatic staff members, management turned the other cheek, unprofessional behavior at the senior level, hostile environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wake Technical Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Wake Technical Community College Reviews by Location