Wakefern Food Corporation Employee Reviews

Found 3,805 reviews matching the search See all 4,379 reviews
hard working staff, but hard to obatain full time
Shoprite from Home Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, NJJune 25, 2019
I learned a lot from working for Wakefern Food Corp. A lot of the things I will carry with me throughout my life, and its a career for you if you work hard enough. It is hard to get full time and raises. The benefits are only really good if you're full time, and you are also lucky if you can stay local and not have to drive far. The most enjoyable part of the job is that they work well with your schedule and the hours are flexible, so if you are looking for a part time job while you're away at school, etc this is the job for you. The management isn't terrible. Where I worked they put a lot of effort into making the store look presentable, and making the employees and customers happy.
Pros
friendly environment, flexible hours
Cons
full time hard to obtain, hard to get raises
The worst place to work for
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hammonton, NJJune 25, 2019
Was a good place to work for until I took family medical leave to be with my mother that was dieing and when she passed. I was fired. The managers didn't want to hear that my mother passed all they care about is money money money
Cons
Short breaks have to work for 3 years before getting medical
Worst years of my life.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hazlet, NJJune 23, 2019
Constant popularity contest. If you didn’t get along with the “cool kids” in your department your life was made into a nightmare. Managers turned the other cheek and would do minimal work and blame their mistakes on the weakest employees. They call you in hours before your shift and complain when you request a day off. I wouldn’t work here again in a million years.
my first job
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flanders, NJJune 22, 2019
worked my way up from cashier to front end management
loved this job
all management was easy to talk to and easy to track down
awesome thorough training
Everyone was very nice and respectful
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mullica Hill, NJJune 22, 2019
I worked 3 different departments. Produce, dairy and overnight. Wound up in overnight for the last 2 years. Was pretty stressful being the only female on the crew and was not appreciated by coworkers being that they believed the overnight job should be strictly for men
Shoprite
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2019
In the beginning when i started it was awesome . Made friends , employees were help full as well as management . It just has gone down hill in the last 3 years . It’s all about corporate and the books . Not even family oriented . The only good thing is the benefits and that’s a plus .
Benefits
Cons
Lack of communication, no one is willing to help when needed. Not a family store like it used to be .
Don’t even think about working here.
Cashier/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2019
Very very racist, rude and disrespectful. A lot of people just love doing other people jobs and thinking they could talk to you any kind of way. The customers are always right even when their wrong their right.
A great place to work and grow
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJune 20, 2019
I would reccomend this place because there is consistency. This is with work hours and paychecks. They understand if you have multiple jobs or are in school.
Grocery store clerk
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJune 20, 2019
I worked at ShopRite for three years throughout highschool and during college breaks, I had a part time role in the front end and I would also help out other departments as needed as I got older and could legally handle machinery and alcohol.
Unhappy due to salaries
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  BrooklynJune 20, 2019
First I have to say the average Deli man makes $15 an hour not 9. $ I'm surprised you get people to work for you, the minimum wage is $15 terrible company... when you pay people $9 an hour you get terrible Workers
Pros
Lousy place to work
Cons
Somebody needs to teach management how to treat employees
Not bad, but there are better places
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 20, 2019
This job was fairly easy. However, I had to stand up on my feet all day. I know this may sound like complaining, but I made it clear to my manager that I have had a recent knee surgery, but they did not provide any accommodations or give me paid time off. It is irrelevant though. There are better places to work at.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Periods Standing Up
Rough start but simple work
ORDER SELECTOR (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJJune 20, 2019
From the beginning the work seems impossible, but after about 2 to 3 weeks the repetition makes it easier than you initially thought. The only stressful part about it is being able to keep up with daily production requirements. But the starting pay for work rate is too low.
Pros
Great benefits package and company credit union and weekly pay
Cons
Starting pay is too low for the work, but is subject to change in the next 2 to 3yearsunder new union contract
great family and company
Bakery Decorator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2019
wakefern and the family that owned my ShopRite was absolutely amazing. However, our store manager clearly had favorites when it came to area managers and supervisors. He would never follow through with complaints or issues with them. Some of the managers and supervisors through their power around and made sure we knew we were the bottom of the food chain. There was a lot of disrespect that was not dealt with.
It was nice fun the manager was was a good person was loved by everyone
Packer (Former Employee) –  Hello the location was fineJune 19, 2019
I am a hardworking person who likes to work with others exchanging ideas and then you listen to each other anything who likes to work hard for my family and my company that I work for can benefit from each other so
Pros
Understanding and even that the lunch was too small but working right
Cons
Busy place to work but like keeping busy just need full time work
deli clerk cashier (Current Employee) –  Hudson, NHJune 19, 2019
A good place to work but no full time work I am only part time and need full time work as it doesnt pay much being part time would like to have full time work
Pros
Exciting
Cons
Low health care
Good first job, certainly not a career
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bayville, NJJune 19, 2019
Worked in grocery and loved my mangers and co workers, schedules where very flexible but also unpredictable. I enjoyed my time and learned a lot, you don't make much but what do you expect from an entry level job. I recomend for a high school kid trying to learn and make a little bit of money as well as an older person just trying to keep busy.
A relaxed work envirnment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAJune 18, 2019
in the department that I was in the co workers that I work with was helpful in teaching me what to do. they also allow you to somewhat pick the time that you would like to work
Management is focused much more on customers than employees
Cashier / Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 18, 2019
Really poor management at all levels for the most part. Most are grumpy, overworked, and under a lot of pressure. Part-time hours are inconsistent and management is not too accommodating when changes are requested.
a good summer job
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJJune 18, 2019
it was my first job ever after high school decent pay, decent management, have some grow in the company. Good people and interesting work environment.
Friendly produce associates but ignorant store manager
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, DEJune 17, 2019
Overal, I did enjoy this job until the store manager kept getting on my nerves about wearing a jacket. I don’t think he understands that I am in the freezer constantly and it’s extremely cold in there yet still complains when I have it on. This job is a joke and for what you get paid, which is minimum wage, it is not worth working here. Apparently, you get a raise of 15 cents every 6 months, which is a joke because an extra 15 cents does absolutely nothing. You’re better off finding a job at another grocery store that will definitely pay more, such as Giant.
Pros
Flexible hours, friendly produce department employees
Cons
Short breaks, no discounts, ignorant customers and store manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wakefern Food Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.3K
31.2K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight