Wakefern Food Corporation Employee Reviews

Found 3,783 reviews matching the search See all 4,353 reviews
Horrible. I wouldn’t recommend it at all
Morning baker (Current Employee) –  NJJune 15, 2019
The stores are dirty. They clean the sheet pans “annually”. It’s always “not my job”. FIFO isn’t enforced. Racks will be left out uncovered. Mgmt doesn’t advocate for their workers or enforce rules. People are unreliable for their shifts because there are no consequences to anything. Our cake decorated only made $11/hr. And they wouldn’t hire her full time, but would give her one day off a week and she’d work 38 hours/wk.
this place is a joke and I no longer shop there. I travel 45 minutes to get groceries now that I know what goes on.
Pros
I get to bake and mix
Cons
Everything else. Seriously. Not being dramatic.
Review
Maintenance & Porter (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTJune 15, 2019
I enjoy working at ShopRite. The employees and managers are respectful and kind to their workers. They help you out when you need them. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers out when they need assistance, and helping my co-workers out when they give me projects to complete.
Overworked and underpaid
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 15, 2019
It's practically impossible to get a full time position. Therefore you can be working full time hours and receive none of the benefits. Also they do not respect your requested days off. There is no pay differential when you switch over to customer service.
Glad for the oppertunity.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklawn, NJJune 15, 2019
The support team around me is fantastic. Very helpful and caring. I would like to retain this job as a 2nd job. I enjoy people and therefore I really enjoy working there.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJune 14, 2019
Customer Service Representative. Hardworking. Refunds, rainchecks, dealing with unhappy customers. Work in whatever department they need me. Flexible hours.
Working there was easy but we had scheduling issues
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 13, 2019
Shoprite was my first job and I liked meeting new people everyday as a cashier and the job itself was simple but could get kind of stressful. I only stopped working there because I was in-season and they wouldn't allow me to change my hours after it was already scheduled.
ok place to work in if you want to make a career out of it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 13, 2019
the environment was fine. Managers demanded to much from employees. They have a union but the union really did not do to much to help workers. Only focus was on collecting dues.
Not recommended
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Union Mills Mt. Laurel, NJJune 13, 2019
Drama filled workplace with poor management. Best part of the job was dealing with customers, Worst part was dealing with co-workers not showing up or just disappearing if they did and the very low pay.
good place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJune 13, 2019
I gain a lot of experience working at ShopRite. The customers were very friendly and I learned a lot from both customers and staff members. It was a good environment.
Interacting with customers
Customer service, sales (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton,njJune 12, 2019
I loved the customers that came into my line whether they were having a bad day or I was. They always made me smile and laugh. I mostly had the same customers all the time because they loved my work and how I bagged their groceries. I honestly will miss seeing them but it was an amazing experience
It is work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 12, 2019
It is fast paced. You work in a freezer. The other workers are fine. But there are lazy ones that make an already hard work day harder. The management staff were fair and respectful. You work so hard it is really nothing to enjoy except the breaks.
Fast pace environment
Shoprite Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJune 12, 2019
Shop rite is a great starter job for those who are not looking for a flexible work schedule. The employees and management are friendly and willing to work hard together. You really get to know some great people along with gaining skills you've never you had. I really enjoyed working together as a team to accomplish goals.
Pros
Own space
Cons
short breaks
not flexible
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Northvale, NJJune 12, 2019
they tell you if your a student your work schedule can be flexible but that is not true. They pay you the same and put you in several different departments
Good Place to work overall
Dairy Associate (Current Employee) –  Mohegan Lake, NYJune 12, 2019
I've been a dairy associate for 2 years now. A typical day includes packing out product, helping customers with ANY inquires and receiving trucks of product and milk. The workplace culture is very friendly and open for any and all positions no matter how long you've been there.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Slow Responses by Upper Management
Trash management they want you to work your self to death but pay you minimum wage
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 12, 2019
Good for high school students or a first job other then that I would recommend. They have inconsistent hours and the amount of bs you have to deal with from management and customers is too much
Owners were great manager very poor
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJune 11, 2019
At the beginning the company was great the new management came in and she made a couple racist and anti-somatic remarks I put my two weeks notice in and left
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Really poor manager
productive
Customer Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 11, 2019
it was my first time learning to be a cashier and going to school at the same time. i was a fast learner by hands on and was ready to be on my own with in 2 days of training. i enjoy the people i worked with and still keep in contact with them.
I would not recommend working at ShopRite.
Customer Service Desk & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 10, 2019
I worked at ShopRite on Staten Island a few years ago, and quitting was the best decision I ever made. The workers were amazing and mostly kind, but the pay and advancement opportunities were atrocious.

The Bookkeepers and Customer Service Representatives have double the responsibility of the Cashiers, but get paid the same wages. It's ludicrous. After working at the store for 6 months, you get a raise in pennies.

I made the mistake of moving into the Customer Service Desk, which basically allowed customers to verbally abuse me and my co-workers over sale items and rain checks.

It's a decent job if you're desperate to make some cash, but it's in no way a living wage.
Average at best.
Deli Staff (Former Employee) –  West Berlin, NJJune 10, 2019
The unions are the only thing that make the job bearable. Without the unions, I'm sure they'd be offering even less to their employees. Partial eye and dental coverage is nice, but I'd rather have a real, comprehensive medical plan. Even full time employees have to pay significantly for their healthcare, and everyone starts part time, with few opportunities for advancement. Full timers are required to work 6 days a week, and have to move to other stores on a regular basis if needed. The only discounts employees receive are on their lunch break. The work is bearable, unless you're in certain departments, but management is a joke. The left arm rarely knows what the right is doing. It's not the worst, but there are better grocery store jobs.
Pros
Partial benefits
Cons
Management is terrible, little chance for advancement
Not a bad place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NYJune 10, 2019
I was a cashier after school, I enjoyed my coworkers and seeing familiar customer faces each week. The hardest part about cashiering was handling WIC checks, but management usually helped with those. A typical day was turning on your register, scanning items, bagging, cleaning register and occasionally returning unwanted items

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wakefern Food Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.3K
31.2K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight