Walbridge Employee Reviews

Great place to work at
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 10, 2018
Working with Walbridge as project engineer enhanced my knowledge and gave me the opportunity to grow and experience different roles.
Walbridge is a dynamic company with a flat management structure
yet another drug fueled union contractor
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 4, 2018
Drug abuse was rampant with management. I was quite happy to be done with this one. We had a number of apprentices who came away with a terrible impression of the millwrights
Good Company
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2018
Successful company with many opportunities to be involved in various sectors of the construction industry. Approachable upper management who have a wealth of experience.
Project Engineer /Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXNovember 8, 2017
This is a great company to work, but when the project is completed sometimes there is no place to relocate.I will apply again when is an opening job for me.
Good company, very few employee perks, not much advancement
Material Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 3, 2017
The company is good, but definitely stressful. Low profit industry increases stress of management. I am busy every day, sometimes overwhelmed, but no incentive to work overtime. There are a lot of fun people, but also many who seem "married" to their job.
Excellent Company with 100 Year History
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 17, 2017
I enjoyed working at the company. The management was good and was interested in growing talent and encouraging growth. I had a good working relationship with my co-workers. Everyone helped each other when needed.

The best part and hardest part of the job was bid day. That is were you measured your success or failure. You are either first or you do not get the job.
Pros
Free Lunch at Bid Day
Cons
Great company and a great experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 31, 2016
As an intern, much of the construction industry was new to me. Walbridge was a great company to work for and I gained a new appreciation for those in the industry. Walbridge's employees taught me a lot about the field, were very respectful, and pushed me to be successful.
good people, very hard working
Senior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 27, 2016
Very Professional place to work. lots of very loyal people work there. Good technology and you are given the proper tool to work with.
Military Structured
Senior Estimator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 1, 2016
Very challenging place of work, limited / little support by upper management and supervisors.

Very aggressive and demining upper and executive level management.

Extensive, expected travel for given assignments without additional compensation.
Pros
Job Security & Large Firm
Cons
Upper Level Management and Lower Level Staff engagment, very militant workplace
Superintendent and Project Manager
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KS, Denver, CO, Tampa, FloridaNovember 30, 2015
Constructed various projects from small retail spaces to outlet malls, power centers, hospital wing additions, corporate headquarters, big box retailers and office buildings. Started with Phillips Const. Co., Inc. and became Walbridge due to a merger.
Terrible work environment unless you are a robot
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 8, 2015
This was the worst job experience I have ever had. The office was a cubicle graveyard of silence, where all the employees seemed to keep there heads down and mouths shut. When I was moved to the field the management was obviously stuck in the past, where their motivation style was to yell as much as they could, and expected you to give up your life to work for them. Everyone I know that worked their with any self respect or a thought of doing things in a new and innovative way left the company or was fired within in a year. Since working there I have been told that it is the model to hire five employees with the intent of keeping two or three past one year. I stress to anyone that has self dignity DO NOT WORK at Walbridge
Project Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2015
It was educational, you worked 10 hour days. My co workers were great people to work with upper Management just wanted you to work harder.
Not a team environment.
Project Manager/Estimator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Most days are spent defending your choices and explaining yourself to various managers throughout company. Co-workers are cautious in all dealings and always looking out for themselves. I learned to keep to my own business and not involve myself in office politics or the rumor mill.

Training is minimal and you learn as you go, sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission. The best part of working at Walbridge is that there is some flexibility in your schedule.

Leadership changes often, I have seen three general managers in four years. With each they promise great changes but everything is that same just fewer people working at our facility.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Cons
Healthcare costs and leadership.
Global Player
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 19, 2015
Projects receive support ENR top 50 rated construction manager, specializing in complex projects with a diverse base of clients and designers. Excellent employee benefits, process driven and highly organized for success.
Pros
Management leads industry in emerging trends, speactacular building projects, broad range of projects
Cons
Project term employment unless willing to travel
Started Out Great....
Estimator (Former Employee) –  DetroitSeptember 22, 2014
Walbridge started out as a great company to work for. They had great benefits and made you feel very wanted and needed. The benefits took a complete nose-dive and work became a daily nightmare. The workplace is incredibly stressful. The highest of management acts like they feel the economic hurt like the average employee but they'll get rid of you in a second if the amount they bring in dips at all. You'll never know if you'll have a job in a week, or a month or at the end of the project. If you're not a favorite then you'll probably eventually get canned. Seen it a million times with low level and higher level employees. Nepotism is rampant. If you manage to keep your job you'll watch all the other favorites get promoted ahead of you even if you work your head off. A motto they have upstairs at Walbridge is "if you aren't willing to work 50-60 hours a week then we don't need you" but don't expect to get paid for more than 40. I brought work home with me and put in 70-80 hour weeks so many times that I couldn't count but only got overtime for like 2 hours once.
Pros
Good experience, lunch and learns - continuing education
Cons
Lots of Backstabbers, Benefits took a complete dive although they try to mask it like its a good thing but its really not, crazy amounts of nepotism, Very unequal pay scales amongst employees
Great place to work, extensive travel.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 21, 2014
Great place to work, extensive travel. Lots of opportunity to prove knowledge and ability.
professional work place
Assistant project manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 3, 2014
Great company to work for, professional work place, good benefits, good health care and 401k
Pros
great Training program
indepth knowledge attainment of Co-Gen plant mechanics
Foreman- Crew foreman (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 30, 2014
Gave me the opportunity to demonstrate my abilities as a leader and a formitable supervisor.
Pros
union scale/ overtime
Cons
some middle management weren't professionals
Great place
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell KYJuly 21, 2014
Great company to work for. The contract I was on was not going to last forever. I needed something more stable.
nice place to work
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  LAMay 21, 2014
working well with other trades as well as other workers fro walbridge,the hardest part was the end of the shift at 2:30 am but I got thur it , hope to work with them again
Pros
free dinners and gifts from the saftey meetings
Cons
working in the rain at the carpenters shop, and getting flooded out, standing in water.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walbridge. Our community is ready to answer.