Walden University Employee Reviews

INteresting
Executive Assistant to the President (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 9, 2018
My work experience was shortened by the sudden departure of the person that I supported. Every department had a different working environment since the company consisted of many schools other than Walden.
Researcher
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 17, 2018
Great school, most instructors are knowledgeable and helpful but you're somewhat on your own when it comes to learning the material. The work load can be overwhelming if you don't use your time wisely.
I love WaldenU
Online Sr. Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 13, 2018
Great environment! Excellent professional development! Overall the best place to wok for. It's very competitive but FUN!!! Unfortunately the campus closed and we were laid off
Graduate Student
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  MarylandMarch 31, 2018
I am a graduate student here at Walden University. I love what I do and would not trade it for anything else. This is one of the best schools nonetheless.
Pros
The experience is great!
Cons
There are no cons
Great school
ResidencyII (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 17, 2018
I enjoyed my entire time with Walden University as a student and would encourage more people to register. Walden University gave me a chance at life that no other school could offer.
Pros
Helpful and supportive
Cons
You will graduate
Review
Laureate Education/Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 16, 2018
I have enjoyed my time but its really time to move on. I have learned quite a bit and a typical work day included assisting potential students with their educational goals.. The workplace culture open and vibrant with room for improvement. The hardest part of the job is meeting KPI's quarter over quarter. the most enjoyable is the people.
Great place to work at!
Adjunct professor of Finance (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeMarch 13, 2018
This is a great place to work at! Management is quite professional and teamwork is a priority. It is obvious that they care about their employees and their mission of education.
Difficult culture
SR. Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 9, 2018
The company was previously extremely student/customer focused. However after some yrs the focus became more profit/ growth. The culture was also very challenging. The desire and opportunity to grow decreased daily. The most enjoyable part of the job was my closest teammates.
Pros
teammates
Cons
consideration to employee growth
Competent faculty
Contributing Faculty (Current Employee) –  OnlineMarch 5, 2018
The management and faculty at Walden are committed to helping students succeed. The resources provided to students and faculty are exceptional. Colleagues are supportive and helpful.
Pros
Online from home.
Cons
Work assignments are not guaranteed.
Recommendable
Student Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 4, 2018
A typical day at work included about 40+ calls from online students per day depending on the day and when the new Quarter/Semester started.

I learned how to be even more patient with people especially when they aren't as tech savvy as they should be when attending school online.

Management is okay. I didn't have any negative experiences. I would like for the communication between different departments to be better though.

The work environment was okay. Seemed to be a bit segregated when it came to the different departments.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining a calm tone when speaking with students on the phone. Some students get very upset over things that can't be controlled by tier 1 support teams.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the thankfulness & gratitude received after solving a students problem from technical to financial.
Pros
Hour lunches, benefits, schedule flexibility
Cons
Communication between departments
Walden University Faculty
Core Faculty (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 26, 2018
I worked at Walden both as a full-time and part-time faculty member. The upside to Walden was the compensation and flexibility. Walden paid better than most starting faculty jobs. As well, they paid for hotel, food, and travel for residencies and annual faculty meetings. The downside was that Walden was such a large organization that many things were automated and standardized. This meant that there was little freedom in how to teach your classes, and the standards by which you were measured were sometimes followed so rigidly that it was not horribly logical.
Pros
compensations, travel, flexibility
Cons
lack of academic creativity, inflexible in evaluation standards
did not like it here
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 19, 2018
worst company ever I've ever worked for.
no work / life balance
management is terrible
they expect you to work on weekends/nights but offer zero over time or additional pay.
the students are a nightmare.
Great job with hours that are conducive to a full time job
University Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 18, 2018
The job was enlightening. It required some traveling, but not extensive. Administrative staff competent and available. Required reviewing artifact or examples, discussing course of action for the student, encouraging and motivating the student to reach their academic goals.
Pros
virtual
Cons
not enough work
Walden University
Supervising Teacher (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 18, 2018
I was a Supervising Teacher with the University. I would visit student teachers at their schools to observe and conduct evaluations as well as advise on instructional techniques. This position depended on the number of student teachers that were located in my geographical area.
Pros
scheduling was flexible.
Cons
empoyment was not consistent
Not terrible, not great
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 17, 2018
Walden is a subsidiary of Laureate Education, an online education conglomerate. They pay decently and the benefits are quality. In my case, I found the relationship with my direct manager to be poor. I will be magnanimous in saying it was not a good fit.
A ship without a rudder
Advisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 9, 2018
Lack of competent leadership and zero opportunity for advancement make this organization one that is best avoided, unless truly desperate for household income.
Knowledge-based working experience
Doctoral Research Mentoring Chair (Current Employee) –  OnlineDecember 31, 2017
A typical day at work involved reviewing research dissertations.
New research topics brought new understanding and exposure. The organizational leaders are focused on raising the bar on academic learning processes. Collaboration is pervasive across the institution, and all faculty members imbibe the paradigm. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I mount the commencement stage and hood my mentees who pass through may own courseroom and graduate. The feeling is inspiring. The hardest part of the job is reading dissertation documents with about 200 pages, and having 10 such students simultaneously submitting their works. The workplace culture of mutual respect makes the whole experience worthwhile.
Pros
New friendships among other faculty
Cons
Dissertations occupied one's mind
Walden University
Graduate Assistant Statistics (Current Employee) –  Work from homeDecember 16, 2017
I have loved the work culture and flexibility of the position. I have full control of my schedule, enjoy everyone I work with. I see a future beyond this position which is motivating and inspiring.
Slow paced fun educational environment
Student (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 28, 2017
I enjoy striving to further my education. My main goal is to get as much customer service as possible and be able to build a rapport with the customers to make sure there needs are satisfied. With my focus in school is getting my bachelors in Psychology with a concentration in addiction and i would need plenty of customer service to remove my shyness.
Contributing Faculty (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 25, 2017
Walden is a good place to work for an adjunct. There are opportunities to teach a variety of courses. It is difficult to get to know others in the workplace but no more so than other online positions.
Pros
Good pay for online work
Cons
Do not get to know other instructors or management