Walden University
Happiness rating is 62 out of 100

Walden University Employee Reviews

United States228 reviews

studentuniversityfacultydoctoralonlineacademicenrollmenteducation

Smile and dial on your tethered phone

You are expected to dial 80+ inquiries per day. Some of which did not inquire, so they're annoyed when you do call. There are new students quotas even though we are not allowed to use that particular language. It gives all the feels of sales without commission, but the "students come first". While schedules were flexible in the past, the "business needs" require LATE nights and full weekend shifts. PTO benefits are awesome, health insurance is NOT. Tuition savings is awesome as well. Colleagues are great for the most part. Career advancement is minimal and raises are even less. Expect snacks, pizza, mugs, and t-shirts. But be sure to keep that positive, motivated spirit!

Pros

They hire great people

Cons

Lack of raises, work-life balance, career advancement + development opportunities

What is the best part of working at the company?Students! Doctoral students are the best, when you treat them as equals, which was the opportunity I had until my approach was criticized as "too soft".What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Graduating students!What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Poor. Very poor, dependent on the supervisor. However, very good when working under a good supervisor.What is a typical day like for you at the company?many hours of instruction, coaching, counseling students to success.

Walden University insights

• Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

low pay for the work

low pay high expectations for monitoring students, yet it's expected that students get As from faculty. This is a faculty expectation not a student and many get As though the work is not very good.

Pros

remote

Cons

salary not a place that actually cares about students, learning, or teaching

Mixed Bag

A lot depends on the team/role you're working in. With a good team/co-workers you the pros and cons are fairly balanced. The compensation could be better, but it's a decent wage for the responsibilities (though not always the stress)

Compassionate

Excellent Team that cares. Absolutely cares not only for the students but for the staff and educators. They know and understand taking care of the employees takes care of the organization and the students.

Great work, when you can get it.

As a adjunct/contributing faculty member, the work is fully online and very flexible. Based on limited interaction, the Deans are friendly and helpful.The issue is that this company changes hands a lot. Work assignments are not consistent. Pay is reasonable, but there are a lot of required trainings.

The are a for-profit in the worst way - not concerned about people, inclusiveness or diversity.

There is too much work with pay that does not align. The doctoral programs in business are not supporting the students and in fact have allowed students to wallow in various stages without progress.

Worse enrollment advise

Joke of a job getting constantly micromanaged and worse company to work in education. Get off your butt and find something or somewhere that you are appreciated not a number

Micromanaged and no work life balance

I constantly felt like I couldn’t do anything right in my position. Managers weren’t supportive or empathetic. They watched our screens and micromanaged us. Everyone was overworked with too many students and not enough support for them. It was very stressful and bad for my mental health.

contributing faculty

Great place to work. Very flexible schedules, metrics are not difficult to meet. Many opportunities to expand scope of teaching, and increase student engagement

Great place to work.

Walden is a great place for part time faculty to work with a number of students and make good progress in their careers. Highly recommend the organization.

Administration is more interested in quantity and data than actual quality of the work

Some of the department leaders are unqualified, and have the positions because no one else would take them. Quantity is more important than quality.Management, especially in School Counseling has no regard for experience. I was let go because of my age and religion.

Ordinary

A good place to pick up skills. Not long term. Management is very micro heavy and are self defeating. There are better places to work in higher edu. Culture is dry.

Sacrifices academic standards for profits

Executive management focuses on educational programs that can sustain large enrollments (1000s of graduates per year) at the expense of curriculum that truly prepares the student for the student’s profession. Their strategy requires making the degree as easy as possible to achieve, sacrificing academic rigor to retain students. Admission standards are minimal which results in students who lack preparation for their degree program. To retain students (to retain revenue), leadership team finds excuses to retain students who are caught cheating or plagiarizing. Faculty with higher academic standards, resulting in lower assigned grades, are eventually dismissed. Faculty who will give “easy A” grades are retained. Similarly, courses that students find difficult or too much work are soon modified to be easier. Courses must have at least 80% of students receive at least a ‘B’ or the course is considered a low quality courses. A course that has 100% of the students receive an ‘A’ is considered a success, resulting in institutionalized grade inflation. Bottom line, an example of what is fundamentally wrong with for profit higher education.

Pros

Work from home with flexible schedule.

Cons

Forces you to sacrifice your standards

Inclusive and organized.

They have a mission of inclusivity and that shows up in how they run themselves. Management is open to improvement, and progress. They have a lot of turnover but I think that is to be expected in companies this size.

Flexible

Walden provided a flexible work schedule and excellent healthcare benefits. They had to lay a lot of employees off due to company underperformance. No sense of job security.

Poor leadership

The senior level basically grew up at Walden. They don’t have significant experience from other companies and it’s a very much a monkey see monkey do culture. They lack any real strategic vision in higher Ed and don’t employ any innovative techniques to be relevant moving forward. They lack any significant culture and diversity initiatives and do not demonstrate a level of leader ship that employees should trust

Pros

Cons

Focus on cutting cost, use antiquated model of using a bunch of adjunct faculty, The pay is poor, hours long.

Great colleagues. No work/life balance

Walden University is a demanding place to work. It is very difficult to balance work and life. There is frequent reorganization and restructuring where employees are laid off or moved to different departments or positions without warning.

Pros

Great colleagues who care about the students. Good pay and benefits. Focus on social change.

Cons

Workload is very demanding. Lots of meetings. Frequent restructuring of organization and management.

Great Place to work

I have been with Walden for 9 years and it has been a wonderful journey. Walden has helped me grow in my career. I enjoy the impact that I make within our partners.

Toxic & Slimy

Walden University has felt slimy and toxic since I started working here, and I wouldn’t recommend it. Walden is the company equivalent of a fake friend.

Pros

The people

Cons

The people

Let us go

After exceeding expectations and opening a new office location, the company provided false leads, and despite meeting several goals the company decided to close our office to save money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walden University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

4.6
InHerSight Score
4.6Personal Development
4.7Career Opportunities
4.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Walden University with

Studying at Walden University

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews
  • Walden University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?