Walgreens

Based on 11,573 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Overworked and Underpaid

Working in the pharmacy was quite the learning experience. Pretty much all of the training is on the job and you just learn by doing and asking questions. If you need to learn differently, then this job is not for you. You can be understaffed a lot which gets a lot of patients angry with you not realizing how many tasks you have to keep tabs on. There are rarely any moments to breathe between tasks but usually your coworkers are very supportive and understanding because no one else will be. Prepare to have no energy after a shift.

Pros

flexible availability

Cons

worst combination of retail and healthcare, underpaid

No support

There’s not enough support from upper management. Corporate seems more concerned with administering vaccines than actually filling prescriptions, but we don’t have staffing to keep up with the demands.

Coworkers are nice but not an ideal first job

My coworkers were nice however, the work environment was not ideal to me as a person who has just started. I appreciated all my coworkers & customers, however when you stand at the register for an amount of time(usually your whole shift if you are assigned) WILL NOT feel good at all. However, I did like to do stock and ad tagging as those things were good to me.

Pros

Employee discount, paid lunch

Cons

Semi poor management, marginal pay

Flexible with schedule, welcoming environment and busy

Great energized workplace with great management. The company it’s self is going self destruct with new implementations put in for the pharmacy and the team members are getting the bad end of the stick with our patients and customers.

Fun and busy place to work - awful training - lack of

You have to like to multi task - repetitive work- you must love to help people and enjoy the company of older folks and helping them find what they need. Sick people coming in all the time so they are either crabby because they are sick and they will expose you to their sickness.

Pros

fun group of people to work with - learn alot -customers - some are special

Cons

repetitive work - some find it hard to multi task quickly - no promotability

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Need to increase wages

Being a Store Manager for Walgreens requires you to wear many hats. Terrible pay for hourly team members meant lower talent pool and inconsistency when working scheduled shifts. No work/life balance. You spend more time doing team member tasks than managing because of all the call outs.

Pros

Pay wasn't terrible, but could've been better, relationships with fellow managers.

Cons

Work/life balance, staffing

Challenging environment but very little support from higher ups.

Walgreens gives you a lot of knowledge of retail practices and pharmacy knowledge as well. The only issues is the management that deals with higher ups. It seems like the company cuts hours all the time which reduces staff and makes work more difficult to be accomplished.

Good people at my store awful corporate

I liked the people I worked with in my store, they were great people who were all around fantastic to work with. However, Walgreens pays terribly and their upper management does nothing but make store level work worse with everything they do.

Pros

Good coworkers and manager

Cons

poor pay and terrible upper management

It is a job

Its a place to work. I personally worked at a 24hr store and we received no help from cooperate. I have dealt with the worst type of people yet the customers are not that bad. It is mostly the thieves and the homeless that make the job hard.

Stable but routine- customer service

I worked photo almost exclusively. I really liked it, but the focus of management seemed to be the merchandise rather than the photo lab. All in all, I would recommend anyone to apply there for a starter or filler job.

na

extremely fast paced. No breaks, no time to eat. vaccinations and metrics are unattainable. customers lack respect and corporate sees us a workhorses.

Its a good place to get experience but to much pressure not enough pay.

Its a good place to get experience but to much pressure not enough pay. You're required to manage multiple things at the same time. It's can be very stress. Plus, they isn't enough staff.

Working Conditions are Harsh, Management is Terrible, Everyone is Overwhelmed and Overworked. At Least my Co-Workers are Fun.

In normal conditions, a pharmacy tech would be a manageable position, but currently we are so overwhelmed, and there's not nearly enough staff for everything to run smoothly. Walgreens continues to increase the workload for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Techs, without hiring more techs and training them properly. My pharmacy has a staff of four techs, and we're expected to fill close to 500 scripts a day, (we're always behind at this point). It's also a very thankless job, I have never experienced as many rude cliental as I've had here, and I've worked in retail nearly 5 years prior. I love the staff there, the pay is decent, and if you're considering a career in the medical field, this is a okay start. Based on the current conditions, however, I consider quitting at the end of every shift. The working conditions have just become that harsh.

Pros

Great, supportive staff members, decent pay, room for advancement within 1-3 years.

Cons

Working conditions are the worst it's even been for pharmacies, A very thankless job, You will cry nearly every shift

Not the best job pay wise but a very good work life balance.

I had a great management staff, but the company itself needs a lot of work. Systems are forever going down, corporate is reactive rather than proactive and investment in people is non-existent.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

No hours, pay is below average.

Toss up as to what kind of day it will be depending on the store.

Due to the nature of being a floater, there is no consistent schedule on a weekly basis. Currently guaranteed at least 64 hours per two weeks, but have been hitting in the mid to high 70's. Some days are easier than others with a fully staffed pharmacy, but recently more and more techs are leaving. It is not uncommon to be working with a single tech for the entirety of the day.

Very difficult job

As the inventory specialist, the efficiency of your job is dependent on the efficiency of the team. if your team is not respectful of time management and doing things correctly, you will fail. systems are changing faster than workers have time to get acclimated. management will hire just about anyone with little to no qualifications and will not replace the slackers with better help. the ones who show up are overworked and underpayed.

Pros

employee discounts, pto, paid holidays.

Cons

understaffed, unrealistic expectations from management.

Can be fun, shifts go fast.

It can be a fun place to work, shifts tend to go pretty fast. They hire full time then cut your hours, get frowned upon by management and no help when you need it or even back up. A lot of gossip even from management, favortism not so great training.

Pros

Discounts esspecially on discount days Can be fun

Cons

Management Benefits Hours cut to the lowest of part time when you get hired part time Gossip

Management leaves you alone to do your job and provides help with a problem you might have at the register.

I am allowed to do my job without micromanagement and get help with a work related problem with store management when needed. The assistant managers on my shift are friendly people and will help you with any work related problems especially difficult customers.

Cons

cannot get some simple supplies from the distribution center, for cleaning and sanitation for my store.

Not the best or the worst

I enjoyed my job with this company for many years but the constant stress and lack of support from management resulted in burnout. Working with the public is harder than ever.

Pros

Competitive pay

Cons

Lack of breaks, help

Very good place to work at the location I worked at was very flexible and understanding

Good place to work at as starter you learn a little bit of everything and it helps build skills in the end . Very flexible and you learn on how to multitask and gain experience in retail

Pros

30 minute lunch break

Give it your best and the results will come

Grateful for the experience. Excellent company with wonderful employees. Opportunity for advancements are available. You are also able to work at different locations when needed.

Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walgreens. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

9.8K

InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Walgreens with

• Walgreens
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?