Walker Engineering
Happiness rating is 68 out of 100

Walker Engineering Employee Reviews

United States127 reviews

overtimeprojectlaygoodfamilybadcompanystart

Lots of work but not enough work life balance

The company itself is one of the most well organized and structured company's I've worked for. However I was hired for a job that required mandatory overtime and let me tell you people. Unless your prepared to really beat yourself up for some extra money think twice before taking on this kind of job. A lack of life and work balance was my biggest con and ultimately why I left. However they were upfront about the work hours we were expected to work.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Lack of work/life balance

Company is very well balanced

Great company would recommend that anyone that's honest with their knowledge about electrical would be paid properly 😉. Thank you walker for the great time, almost been 1 year.

Pros

Safety is the best

Cons

Not enough gifts at the raffles lol

Walker Engineering insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

Lots of hours, low pay and at the end a lay off

They will pull up anything to give you a lower pay than what you asked. Granted you will work alot of hours which makes up for it (i guess) and then when the job is done you will most likely get laid off especially if you ever asked for some time off.

Good place too many ppl

It’s a good place to learn but there your just a number so you will never get notice they have horrible foreman and you have good ones overall it’s a okay place

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Poor management

decent electrical company

benefits are not great and expensive.work is fair. depending on job location and upper management team.work flow is fast and slow, depending on job completion date. OT is fair when given.team members are friendly and helpfulmany guys have left and came back.the pay is poor.safety is something they address often.

Great Job

Good Job nice people great working environment. Basic labor work sometimes will have to work hard and some days are most relaxed depending on what need to be done. Other than that great place to work

Fun place , people you work with are laid back easy going from mangers on down .

This company is a good company managers at top level as well , formans, superintendents, leads were all cool , if you don't put out you want last but enjoyed my time there , I would of stead my heart is in mechanical installation not electrical I was good at it. RUN That pipe man I learned alot here hats off to all those guys I worked for in the field and with good company. Overall I would have stead . If that my interest was in eletrical.

Pros

Take care of you, compensation, school, certification, benefits, insurance

Very safety minded company.

It is a decent job with a safe work environment and plenty of overtime. I was in the new construction division and it wasn’t bad at all decent pay, decent coworkers, decent benefits. Not great overall but decent. You are only a number working for this company very hard to move up.

Good Company to work for

Walker is a was a good company to work for. Most of the people that i knew have left there, so I'm not sure how it is now. Benefits were good, and pay was decent.

Coworkers were great

If your up to working 80+ hours a week and to know you’ll get laid off if you don’t, this place is for you. Family life takes a bit here as most jobs run 7 days a week.

Pros

Tons of overtime

Cons

Lay offs

People

You meet some interesting people. Management is sketchy at times. No balance between work and family. overtime is mandatory or you will get transferred out. Don't care how far you drive from home to work.

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

No breaks unless you work over 10 hrs, Don't care about job distance as it relates to your drive home, Management is hard headed, no sick days must use your PTO, Safety culture sucks at most job sites, No leadership by example, Hurry up hurry up attitude

Good field employees, but horrible leadership.

Where do I start. I was initially hired as a service technician based on my previous experience. The hourly wage was very good for this type of position. The company seemed very promising at first due to the fact that there was room for advancement which I was driven to do. I was asked if I would like to move into the office as an account manager and I accepted the new position. With ears wide open and the willingness to learn a new aspect of the electrical industry I was extremely excited. Well what I found out was the leadership within my department was extremely inadequate and only cared for the bootlickers and didn't want to take the time to train someone properly. It's unfortunate that a company of this size and their rich history has people that do not honor the Walker Way.

Pros

Wages

Cons

Leadership, lack of mentorship

They will promise you anything to get you hired and to keep you on but hardly delivery

Worked for Walker for 3 years with a promise of being moved to the position I originally applied for but it never happened. They play the good'ol boy system if you're in you're in if your not you're fighting for scraps. Some foreman are openly raciest and when it is reported to HR the one reporting it normally gets fired or laidoff shortly after. They will hire under qualified friends and family at better pay than qualified applicants. The health benefits are good the pay is lackluster and don't expect a pay raise unless you're in good with management.

Pros

The health benefits

Cons

Quid pro quo

Great place to work with good pay and opportunities if is your choice.It is a place where you can find an opportunity to do learn and make better your profession.

Pros

Good team work

Cons

Some technicians that believe there are bosses

Working environment is conducive

Some foremen favor those who are friends to them, even if they make mistakes he covers them. In some cases some of us drove to the jodsite only to find out out that the jobsite was shortdown without us being notify. No compensation was given to those who came to work. Above all its a good company to work for. There is good team work.

Pros

Once a year

Cons

Only when there is overtime

Good Money, but poor management

It's all.about who you know here, actual experience and skill matters not. Was told it would be a 10 year project, and it ended up being a 3 month project before we were laid off.

Productive and Busy work environment

I had a great time, working for Walker, learned a lot.Safety and production was the core part of this company. Most Forman’s and Superintendents where professional and respectful. All tho every company has a few bad apples. There were definitely some here.

Good

Cons

A lot of Lays offs

Enough overtime to satisfy anyone.

If you’re looking for a money making job, this is the place to work at, day in and day out, lots of work and tons of overtime. If you expect to grow with the company under strong leadership with good morals, occasional training and family values, keep looking.

Pros

Overtime, good pay, relaxed management.

Cons

Lacking in leadership, little training, no future.

Pay is only thing good about this company

Very stressful work environment from technician to HR. Management only cares that work is done. No communication with employees on tasks, holidays or sick time. Will overwork you if allowed. They will throw you under the bus for the littlest things.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Stressful work environment

lots of over time , then lay offs when done

very well paid company. no organization, communication, no material, no planning. highly stressful environment. only a number at this company. management is extremely rude and lazy. worst company i have ever worked for.

Pros

good pay

Cons

everything else

My time at Walker

I really enjoyed the people at Walker and we travel to different cities in Texas doing data centers We also built relinat stadium They have a 401k and I made good money there During the time while working on the data centers we had all the overtime we wanted They have companies in Austin, San Antonio and Houston It’s a lot of good gen foremen there and there’s always ways to get promoted And they have an real open door policies

Pros

Good salaries

Cons

Hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walker Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Walker Engineering reviews by popular job title

• Walker Engineering
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?