Walker Engineering

United States127 reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & Benefits

overtimeprojectlaygoodfamilybadcompanystart

Lots of work but not enough work life balance

The company itself is one of the most well organized and structured company's I've worked for. However I was hired for a job that required mandatory overtime and let me tell you people. Unless your prepared to really beat yourself up for some extra money think twice before taking on this kind of job. A lack of life and work balance was my biggest con and ultimately why I left. However they were upfront about the work hours we were expected to work.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Lack of work/life balance

Lots of hours, low pay and at the end a lay off

They will pull up anything to give you a lower pay than what you asked. Granted you will work alot of hours which makes up for it (i guess) and then when the job is done you will most likely get laid off especially if you ever asked for some time off.

Walker Engineering insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

Good place too many ppl

It’s a good place to learn but there your just a number so you will never get notice they have horrible foreman and you have good ones overall it’s a okay place

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Poor management

decent electrical company

benefits are not great and expensive.work is fair. depending on job location and upper management team.work flow is fast and slow, depending on job completion date. OT is fair when given.team members are friendly and helpfulmany guys have left and came back.the pay is poor.safety is something they address often.

Great Job

Good Job nice people great working environment. Basic labor work sometimes will have to work hard and some days are most relaxed depending on what need to be done. Other than that great place to work

Fun place , people you work with are laid back easy going from mangers on down .

This company is a good company managers at top level as well , formans, superintendents, leads were all cool , if you don't put out you want last but enjoyed my time there , I would of stead my heart is in mechanical installation not electrical I was good at it. RUN That pipe man I learned alot here hats off to all those guys I worked for in the field and with good company. Overall I would have stead . If that my interest was in eletrical.

Pros

Take care of you, compensation, school, certification, benefits, insurance

Very safety minded company.

It is a decent job with a safe work environment and plenty of overtime. I was in the new construction division and it wasn’t bad at all decent pay, decent coworkers, decent benefits. Not great overall but decent. You are only a number working for this company very hard to move up.

Good Company to work for

Walker is a was a good company to work for. Most of the people that i knew have left there, so I'm not sure how it is now. Benefits were good, and pay was decent.

Coworkers were great

If your up to working 80+ hours a week and to know you’ll get laid off if you don’t, this place is for you. Family life takes a bit here as most jobs run 7 days a week.

Pros

Tons of overtime

Cons

Lay offs

They will promise you anything to get you hired and to keep you on but hardly delivery

Worked for Walker for 3 years with a promise of being moved to the position I originally applied for but it never happened. They play the good'ol boy system if you're in you're in if your not you're fighting for scraps. Some foreman are openly raciest and when it is reported to HR the one reporting it normally gets fired or laidoff shortly after. They will hire under qualified friends and family at better pay than qualified applicants. The health benefits are good the pay is lackluster and don't expect a pay raise unless you're in good with management.

Pros

The health benefits

Cons

Quid pro quo

Working environment is conducive

Some foremen favor those who are friends to them, even if they make mistakes he covers them. In some cases some of us drove to the jodsite only to find out out that the jobsite was shortdown without us being notify. No compensation was given to those who came to work. Above all its a good company to work for. There is good team work.

Pros

Once a year

Cons

Only when there is overtime

My time at Walker

I really enjoyed the people at Walker and we travel to different cities in Texas doing data centers We also built relinat stadium They have a 401k and I made good money there During the time while working on the data centers we had all the overtime we wanted They have companies in Austin, San Antonio and Houston It’s a lot of good gen foremen there and there’s always ways to get promoted And they have an real open door policies

Pros

Good salaries

Cons

Hard work

Fearful work environment

You're consistly threatened that if you don't follow company policies you will be removed from the project. You constantly hear about layoffs, but recieve no warning till a supervisor comes to collect you and tell you to gather your belongings. Walker Engineering is a great place to work if your solely looking for compensation, but keep in mind that your time there is limited. If your looking to be there long term it's a good idea to become good friends with a senior superintendent or above otherwise your expendable.

Pros

Wages and benefits

Cons

Fear culture and layoffs

Foreman

Bad management. Low pay. If you want more money forget it. You need help forget it. More hours work at you get it. If you get hart on the job they don't care...

It’s fun to work with good ppl

There’s a lot of ppp on this company that actually want to help you and there’s the other side of this company that just act like they own the company and just look at you as he’s just here whatever his not important

Pros

Nothing was free but the water

Cons

And we didn’t have any brakes other than lunch time

Massive hires = massive lay offs

Dosent matter how skilled u are its all about who you know. They have good safety culture and co workers are good people most of them. Not all some bad apples. But when they run out of work they do massive lay offs. Also insurance for family is very expensive $210 a week in my case

Pros

good pay

Cons

massive lay offs

Great company

This was a good company when I worked there for three years. I decided to go industrial but probably would have stayed there. It's a good company and the work was always stable. Its a strong company in my opinion with decent benefits and knowledgable leadership with many departments. Good work culture!

Poor Management

There are many vice presidents at walker and non of them communicate. Walker has the good ole boys clubs and has many favorites, despite their knowledge of the job they will be given raises/promotions. If you aren't one of their favorites then you'll be just another employees trying to survive.

Misled and mismanaged

Pro: - Tons of O.T. work due to failure in management to hire enough employees for the workload. - Computers and equipment is where the money is spent. Cons: - Management is not up to par, reactionary and not proactive. - Promote from within IF your lucky "good ole boy". - Majority of work is onsite and quite a travel for some, no reimbursement. - Hourly = no bonuses, lousy benefits.

Usually lots of work. Also alots of management changes,

Good company but managers not in touch with workers, lots of management changes and not good at giving deserving employees proper compensation.work is limited in san Antonio

Buena empresa

Es una empresa donde puedes desarollarte como profecional. Muy buen ambiente y muy buenos beneficios

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walker Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Walker Engineering reviews by popular job title

• Walker Engineering
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?