Walmart

General Merchandise Clerk39 reviews

Found 39 reviews matching the searchSee all 237,160 reviews
associatestorecustomercashierstockshelfmanagerstocking

Always busy

Always busy,ove to top stock and zone, love the interaction with people and love the discount card, friendly people to work with always something to do

Pretty chill

It’s a good job, good pay for an easy job. You’ll make good friends, but it can get boring from time to time. Customers might get on your nerves from time to time.

made to feel worthless daily

the only good thing I can say was people watching was always interesting. Always someone putting on a show either in their dress or attitude. Usually, a good laugh

Pros

dont have any

Cons

not being treated well

Hard work

Been working for Walmart for 14 plus years 13 years of this job is been all management I have moved to six different stores and I do love working for the company and love moving around. However I have a family and I’m never home to be with them I have been passed up on to store manager positions because company changed levels of management which took away jobs and worked at stores These past few years that did not promote you or groom you

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Customer base is great and associates trust and respect me

Cons

Work long hours, days off away, vacations taken away, Negative pressure

Not terrible, but definitely not great either.

I get paid decently enough for what I do, which is stocking and "zoning" (cleaning my department). Management always expects us to do more than we're capable, but I've never been confronted about not meeting their expectations.

The pay is amazing. My coworkers are brilliant. There is plenty of room for advancement, bonuses, hazard pay, and all. I am so glad I finally have a job that I do not dread going to.

Extremely poor training, management has little to no knowledge of policies and procedures

Training was minimal and did not provide any functional/applicable information to actual role. Upper mgmt knows nothing about policies and procedures

Cons

Poor hiring practices, uninformed and untrained mgmt at all levels.

What is the best part of working at the company?Possibly better than being unemployedWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Everything

Great atmosphere

Management and fellow workers were great. Liked my shift and tasks. Liked the convenient departments. Pharmacy for vaccines, groceries when I needed something quick, housewares and hardware when needed. Everything was at my disposal. Helping customers was not a horrible chore, it was neat interacting with them.

horrible

The place has a horrible work atmosphere. I can see why Walmart is considered the lowest of the low after working here. Some people are here for 10+ years and treated bad.

Underpaid by a company that makes billions

I I’ve been working for Walmart for a little over a year now and I hate it. I work on the gm side of the the store and we are the most overworked, underpaid and under appreciated people in the store. Pay is only $11 an hour and the only hope of moving up is if you are a favorite, your work ethic doesn’t matter. Worse company I’ve worked for.

Pros

Hour lunches, Ppto, Flexible schedule

Cons

Everything else

Decent place to work with opportunity to advance or move around.

As a team associate working in the garden and toy area I got to assemble bikes, grills, stock and zone my area and sometimes run the garden center register. Overall the workplace culture is pretty good. It is a small format store so you get to know most of your coworkers well. You also get the opportunity to purchase company stock after your first year without fees. Some problems though were some AP associates would often not show up for their shifts so other associates and I would have to cover often causing us to fall behind on work and letting us down. The backroom is often a mess and hard to get carts through.

Pros

1 Hour lunches

Cons

No rotating weekends for some positions.

It's a lot

Honestly it falls to managers in that job, when I had one that cared for us I never thought of leaving. When I had bad ones it was like being in a box

Pros

Healthcare, Good team building, recurring scheduilg

Cons

At the holidays expect schedule to change with no input from you.

Great work experience, constantly changing to latest technology. Mgt work schedules are challenging when balancing work and lifestyle.

At Walmart we do more my 8am then most retailers do all day. Great pay but very challenging. Must be well rounded with merchandising as well as process.

Fun place to work and Productive

I love the work place. It’s just goes through a lot of changes and we never get adjusted to the new change before it’s time for another change to happen.

Pros

Meeting and getting to know peoples

Cons

Short breaks

Customer friendly

Loved the environment, helping guests as well as learning the store and making it a great shopping place for families. Everyone did there part in keeping the store fast, friendly, and safe.

Really nice place to work and really enjoyed my time there

I really enjoyed working for Walmart I was the one uploading the truck and bringing the product to the floor. It was a really nice work out as well and kept me in shape

High turnover

Pros: Several employee benefits. Health plans and paid vacations for part time employees. Cons: More finger pointing than problem solving. Poorly organized. Do more with less mentality. Schedule needs to be checked frequently because of constant changes by multiple people. Hard to get a fulltime position. Very few hours at times

Ok place to work

Most positions are easy to accomplish. I have found; however that sometimes assignments are not communicated effectively and when you ask for clarification the response is sometimes less than desirable. Things/agreements that are said also have a way of changing to suit the company.

Pros

Discount on general merchandise. Comfortable working environment.

Cons

Short staffing

High school mentality

while work was never intrusive with constant over time management lacks in nearly every aspect. Pay was fair with quarterly bonuses, but with the stress of management it is hardly worth it as far as a career goes.

Pros

10% discount Quarterly bonuses

Cons

Poor training and very petty

If you don't mind the grind you can make it if you are single

Most managers are poor and most the people that you worked with wined alot there are good people there though if you have a good skin you could survive.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

culture people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

51%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

37%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Walmart with

Popular locations for General Merchandise Clerk in US

Explore similar careers
  • Walmart
  • General Merchandise Clerk
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?