Walmart Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 18,337 reviews matching the search See all 158,871 reviews
busy day, with many customers coming in and out 24/7
Cashier & CAP 2 (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLNovember 15, 2018
Typical day at Walmart was assisting and checking out about 50 customers or more a day . Working there taught me patience and punctuality. theres isn't much i can say about management. they did their job well and helped the best way they could when i needed them.
Pros
discounts
Cons
unfair pay
It was my favorite job to date.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Haleyville, ALNovember 15, 2018
I would typically go in and work a solid 7-9 hour shift. Nothing crazy. I learned to not take a job for granted because I miss it, for real. The only thing I disliked was that they wouldn't let us get more than 32-34 hours a week, and they seemed scared to give us overtime. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the customers. The most enjoyable part is talking with customers and conversing with coworkers while waiting for customers to come through.
Pros
10% discount.
Cons
Customers can be extremely rude for seemingly no reason.
Good place to aquire new skills and become part of something big
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 15, 2018
Great work environment! Would recommend it! Great people and great managers to help you along the way! Great pay and very good benefits as you keep working
Let The Games Begin!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKNovember 15, 2018
WalMart in our area is a very high school like environment. It is kept this way purposefully by management. If you don't play their gossip games you will not have advancement possibilities nor will you be able to move departments.
Fast paced, very productive, and keeps you active.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHNovember 15, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job I would say would be meeting all the new and interesting customers that walk up to your register. I really enjoyed engaging with everyone you meet on a daily basis. I believe one of the most important things about any company would be to keep all your customers happy that way they keep coming back.
Pros
One 15 minitue break and one lunch.
Cons
you only get a few abcences.
It was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CANovember 15, 2018
At Walmart the work isn't really all that hard. Honestly the hardest part was the inconsistency. For the majority of the time i worked there, i never knew when my next shift was going to be. some days i would work until 11 pm and then start up again at 7 am. It was not easy with how few employees there were, and the workplace was just bleh. There were very few people who you could talk to and really get to know, and they were gone before you really got the hang of things. I was never trained, i had to figure it out on the job, with a line of customers getting more and more frustrated.
Nice... It's been awhile tho
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WINovember 15, 2018
Basic cashier job. Stand for 8 hours, deal with a variety of people. Good and bad. 2 breaks and 1 lunch. The discount was a small bonus, possible bonus checks was great, the ladies were nice. Management was fair.
Pros
Discounts, bonuses, advancement opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks, some people can be very testing and tempting.
Was a place full of learning experiences
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHNovember 14, 2018
While working at Wal-mart for the year that I did, I learned so much in my electronics department. I had one of the most knowledgeable Dept. Managers and most of my co-workers were well researched in the pros and cons of most of the products we carried.
It's a great place to work...with the right managers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TXNovember 14, 2018
The pay is good and the job is easy. Everything else really just depends on your managers. I would recommend working there, but just be ready to deal with difficult customers and employers, just like any job.
Fun friendly enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 14, 2018
I was a cashier.My job was to assist at checkout ,bag merchandise,count money,answer any questions customers might needed to no about something .I also work stocking merchandise.
Pros
30 minute, lunch paid vacations
Cons
Know healthcare until after a year hired in date
Not a very acceptable place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anamosa, IANovember 14, 2018
They never had things done or put together correctly or had people doing what they should of been doing. Everyone was basically running there own show.
Walmart
cashier (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DENovember 14, 2018
clock in then get my badge and vest then get my drawer. When break came we got 15 minutes. when time for lunch I would clock out then would have an hour for lunch. Then when lunchtime was done I would Clock in. then after abut a half an hour I would take another 15 minute break then finish the rest of my shift
Pros
the people i worked with and for
Cons
not enough hours
nothing special.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLNovember 14, 2018
a typical day at work is when you don't have customers you red line to get customers. I learned to keep my mouth shut when getting yelled at for no reason by CSM's. Zone the isles you are in.. The hardest part of the job is getting your break and lunches on time.
Pros
every once and a while they give free lunches
Cons
yelling at you when your 1 minute late on breaks and lunches.
decent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 14, 2018
The typical day at work starts by punching in on the time clock. I learn to checkout groceries in a fast paced environment. The manager was not flexible with my schedule
Overall a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntington, INNovember 14, 2018
I enjoyed working with customers. Worked well with coworkers. Job environment was friendly. Had many repeat customers. Management was easy to communicate with.
I Love WalMart
Walmart Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 14, 2018
I Enjoyed Working With The Company! Great Environment And Always Felt Safe! Love All The Different Opportunities To Advance In The Company And All Your Hard Work Goes Noticed And Appreciated
Good Job Experience
Cashier (Permanent, Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MANovember 14, 2018
Walmart is a good company to get some job experience and to have a current work history. You can move up to a Customer Service Manager position, Department Manager,......and Assistant Manager positions. There are very few office jobs if that is what you are seeking for future advancement.
Pros
You can get a job offer immediately, they have birthday cakes once a month for employees, free breakfast and lunch when you work on Black Friday, occasional free meals for employees.
Cons
You are standing and walking all day long on a concrete floor.
First job I had that was not Volunteer work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West broadway Columbia MoNovember 13, 2018
Hated it! I was a cashier and going to school. Finished high school while working there. Then went to college while working there. Realized that I did not want to do that anymore and found my job in the medical filed so I quit.
Pros
A lot of opportunites
Cons
Very busy and under staffed
Enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Middlesboro, KYNovember 13, 2018
Didn't like any of the employees and managers was always acting different toward people and the pay was OK but no insurance and they have a bad self checkout and treat customers rude
Pros
Free
Cons
Short
lackluster
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2018
boring, rude customers, lowzy managers, horrible pay. No benefits. Good for students. Not for a full blown career. Do not waste time trying to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.

543K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Walmart.

Powered by Comparably