Walmart Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 12,041 reviews matching the search See all 163,687 reviews
Stressful Management with Loads of Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHDecember 3, 2018
Can be very stressful and employees are usually held to unreasonable standards. Time off can be hard to get approved despite legitimate reasons even if requested well before the minimum time frame. If you have the patience to deal with the stressful environment on a daily basis then this job is decent at best. I worked at a dead end Walmart in a small town, it was all career employees who had given up on life years prior, including management. Would not recommend as a career, but decent if you need a quick job. I found this company to be not only disorganized but on the border of cruel to their employees. The annual pay raises were very small and the work load was extremely high.
Family oriented
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, OR 97470November 6, 2018
At one time Walmart was a wonderful company to work for. They seem to be moving toward the computer age and doing away with many actual employees. Many positions have been eliminated in the past year, with more coming in January. There has been talk of handheld scanners that customer's carry are going to be replacing cashiers. They scan what they want while shopping and before they leave the store they use the walmart pay option on the walmart app to pay without going through a register. There would be a door greeter at the door to check receipts. If they choose to pay cash, they print out a ticket and scan that ticket at the self checkouts. Then proceed to show receipt to door greeter.
Pros
Co workers and management are wonderful. We are all like a big family.
Cons
Cut hours, everyone gets the same raise once a year no matter how hard or little anyone has worked, Raises are not based on performance, No holiday pay, Short staffed, Corporate has Morale down, too many expectations
Did not enjoy working there, I tried to work hared and had good attendance but there was no reward systme , only Sales got rewarded.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lavale, MDNovember 30, 2018
I had children at home, that I had to pay daycare for, when I ask for my schedule to be adjusted to not work more that 2 nights shift per week, they adjusted it, but then made it the schedule to be into the evening anyway. Also I ask to move to another Dept., at least temporarily and to get a break from where I was working, and it was not approved. Co-Workers were usually always finding other places to work outside our Dept, so it lesft 1 person to try and work several stations and try to take care of customers. Also part od time I did not have cooperation with management when I made a gun sale, was by myself and had to wait on Management to "walk" the gun out with customer so they could leave the store.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Even though I worked a FT time schedlue no benefits.
Not worth your time.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 8, 2019
As a student working part time at a wal mart it wasn't hard. I didn't mind the hours that were given which were 40+ hours. But the thing was I was part time working 40+ and a full time student. Should hire as full time and give benefits to their hard workers. Not to mention at the time I was there the management was so toxic. Managers too worried about what their superiors would think of them that they mistreat their workers. Had so many people walk out from their job because of this. Another thing was that management would schedule you a random weekend off and then schedule you 10 days straight. Overall, co-workers were awesome, management needs work and Wal-Mart needs to treat their dedicated workers with respect.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Hire part time with 40+ hours so they don't have to give benefits
Great! but the store managers...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAJanuary 4, 2019
The associates are great! everyone is happy and nice and respectful of everyone and their time. But the Salaried members of management are horrible. only 1 of the 8 managers are actually respectful to the other hourly associates. and the salaried members are rude and disrespectful to the other workers and even the customers, most of the managers have horrible reviews from customers giving our Walmart store low reviews on services like Yelp. but this may be my store, and aside from the assistant managers above, everyone is amazing and nice. the work is simple and Walmart as a company to work for is great for a first job or just a job on the side
Pros
paid time off, 401k
Cons
some managers at stores can suck, it varies
Decent and a good way to learn how customer service and retail works.
Former CAP2 Associate, Current ACC Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNOctober 19, 2018
Typical work day. clock in and get to work right away. I learned a lot of things that helped me take care of myself and satisfy the customers. Management is good, they tell us what to do and know how to help out when we were stuck on what to do. Hardest part of the job was the amount of staffs we'd have. So we'd have to learn almost everything around the store just to keep the store going. And getting overwhelmed by customers when you're alone. Aside from the hard parts, things were easy to learn and everyone there was very friendly and understandable. I love everyone I work with here.
Pros
long breaks, flexible hours, friendly employees and managers
Cons
short staffed, not enough compensation and acknowledgement.
Good place to start from.
Sales Associate/Department Mgr (Current Employee) –  Highland Village, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Working for Walmart taught me how to be a good leader by example.
Unfortunately, the examples practiced by most salaried management isn't what you should do at all. In other words I learned by watching bad managers.

Most of the time the salaried management never got to know their people and didn't work beside them. Being a good manager requires you to get to know your teammates(employees) and work WITH them not just telling them what to do.

Typical day included helping customers and working with fellow associates. The attitude of the day really depended on what was going on. There were long boring days and fast paced days.

The benefits are alright. They could be better, though.
Pros
Long lunch break (1 hour), decent benefits, decent pay
Cons
Salaried management is disconnected from the associates. Not real leaders just delegators.
A College Job Where Your GPA Suffers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDSeptember 5, 2018
The shifts are hard to fit in with your college courses and the management nudges you to take your allotted hour meal to go to a course you need to take to graduate. The company claims to be helpful to those who are wanting to further their education, but they push you to take night classes at part time college status so their schedules do not take a hit. Salaried management also seems inadequate to make decisions and are rarely seen or heard from during your entire shift, which is actually 9 hours for a full shift. Little is also done from home office when you have an issue with the salaried management and try to get out of any responsibility, even when the issue is able to be reviewed through the security cameras and multiple people come to your defense. The pay raise to $11 an hour sounded nice, but they also changed the entire scheduling system and when shifts were starting as early as 4 am for positions.
Pros
None.
Cons
Non-flexible schedules, poorly managed, and horrible benefits.
Stressful but Fulfilling
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 12, 2018
I started as a cashier, and moved from that to overnight mod team (i built the planograms), to overnight cashier after i strained my back helping during the holidays, to electronics sales associate. During this time i went from $10/hr (which was before they raised their minimum to $11) all the way up to $12.10. Most of my managers knew what they were talking about and knew how to get the job done, and had great interpersonal and management skills. The hardest part of the job was the daily stresses of trying to live up to everyones expectations, but at times it was also the most enjoyable. During a typical day every one of my coworkers knew me well for always being all over the store, whether i was taking an item to a front register for a customer, mixing paint, selling hunting licenses, finding particular items, and more. Most people who worked there had a friendly face and were pleased to return a hello.
Pros
food provided as incentive for everything
Cons
this particular store location was very unique in some of the ways it did things
Overall an amazing company with great opportunities.
Stocker/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAJanuary 6, 2019
Although I did not agree with some of the decisions the management made I always listened and understood where they were coming from. That also no where will be one hundreded percent perfect, but it can be happy. Overall you have chances to advance and grow in the company and the vibe of the workplace was happy most of the time.
Pros
Nice break room, Competitive pay, Good benefits, Long breaks, Insurance for full time workers.
Cons
Hard labor
Diversity of employees and customers. Room for advancement.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAOctober 8, 2018
I walked into Wal-Mart at 7:45 am not as an employee but as a customer and scanned the aisles and floors and was pleased to find everything clean, orderly and well zoned. I learned our customers appreciates the ability to one stop shop at an affordable price. The store that I worked at 4200 Salem Rd. Covington Ga. was well managed and the employees friendly and easy to work with. The only difficult time was seasonal during lay-away there were many customer complaints mainly about wait time. Most enjoyable was satisfying customers by locating an item or explaining operation of an item in say electronics or photo dept..
Pros
bonus incentives, 401k plans, non discrimination Wal-Mart employs senior citizens and disabled.
Cons
no dental plan
My experience at Walmart was very interesting because I learned alot about leadership skills and interpersonal skills.
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GANovember 8, 2018
From my experience at Wal-Mart I learned about all of the benefits that the company offers for health and career. It wasn't just what they offered its also the things you learn as a worker. For example you learn your strengths and weakness .You learn so such about how serving others makes a company run productively.
Pros
The Pros are the health benefits and retirement plan.
Cons
Health problems from strentous activity.
its a job walmart
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 14, 2018
unload truck ,put in vault and then start by loading a cart .take out to floor and stock ,help customers when needed. when finished with truck do back stock and keep work area clean. I learned how to unload a truck and stock shelves in a timely manner. the department manger I had was great help me with raises, when i was moved to another depart the mangement was so so , was a cost department and wage where to go up but didn't. didn't keep the same management to long always changing. loved working for the customers. my hours where always changing. the people i work with became your family.
Pros
enjoyed the people
Cons
never knew when i was getting off but no over time. sometimes hours where cut.
Lots of stocking, helping customers constantly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 28, 2018
As a sales floor associate, you're constantly unloading pallets full of merchandise, filling them as much as possible, and stocking the merchandise on the floor or putting them away. Assisting customers is always going to happen, and management will always be coming around.
However, if you show that you'll do your work properly, they'll cross-train you if you're willing. In my time there, I was cross-trained in 6 different departments, was pulled across the store often, and started training to be a department manager.
Despite the customers and all that, my coworkers were great and my managers were okay. It's a great place to learn a bunch of stuff so you can go on to work wherever.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
A Good Family To Work With
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INDecember 15, 2018
Walmart has had a good history of trying to take care of it customers and it's associates. The company makes you feel welcome and important no matter how insignificant the task seems. You go in help the customers, finish your tasks and go home for the day. No matter how rough the day can get, you can always talk to some of your fellow associates. After a while you realize that everyone working there are your second family. The hours can get weird at times but the health benefits, 401K, and stocks make up for it.
Pros
Good people, great benefits, flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Can be stressful, odd hours
fast paced, product driven, ethical and great human resources.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDDecember 30, 2018
Typical day at work is doing projects to increase sales. I have learned how to manage my time and to be responsible for my decisions, to cashier, I also have exceeded in great customer service, I managed the front cashiers and learned how to manage time, breaks, lunches, money handling, to be fair and ethical to all associates. on the sales floor I have learned to work fast paced, keep focused on the projects that management has entrusted me to do, to know my department and have knowledge of what I do to help the customers with decision making. The work place culture is working hard, strive for great customer service, without the customers the company would fail. The hardest part of my job is sometimes I have a lot to do in not enough time, I strive to complete all my expectations but some days there is not enough time. The most enjoyable part of my company is the ethics of the workplace, being able to communicate with management and to know that they listen and care
Pros
good upper management, cozy break room, great human reasourse, stock options and 401K
Cons
Some days having too many projects to complete, Hours being cut and no payed holidays.
Nice benefits, uncomfortable work environs
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 22, 2018
My experience here began as a great place to work with happy fellow associates, flexibility in schedules, enough training and equipment to do my job correctly and plenty of associates to adequately help customers. The holiday incentives were nice, as are the quarterly bonuses. Medical benefits and family leaves are nice as well.

As time passed, associates that left were not replaced, tools for the job were sequestered for certain groups, lower level managers are required to be in 3 places at once covering more and more territory and upper level managers were categorically terminated with no warning, thus breaking the wills of the workers, while the new managers turned a deaf ear to the workers.

All these changes have made this an uncomfortable and taxing place to work. It's saddened me to see a place I enjoyed working come to this.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses, the associate discount, medical benefits and family leave
Cons
Broken morale, poor management decisions, rigidity in schedules, difficulty in getting time off
understaffed!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Little Egg Harbor, NJDecember 15, 2018
Store management will run the store with minimal number of associates to the point of killing morale. If a department requires 5 associates to operate at all times, management will schedule 1 or 2in order to cut payroll and look good to Market or Division.It is exhausting and demeaning. This was supposed to be a retirement job for me, but turned out to be more stressful than the job I resigned from.I am hoping to br re-employed shortly.
Cons
salary less than other retailers. Grossly understaffed.
A long time going nowhere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vail, AZJanuary 3, 2019
I worked there for 4 years straight out of high school learning everything I could about every dept in the store and putting my best foot forward. I would not leave until my job was done. The logical response would be a pay raise or promotion right? Wrong. The obvious response would be to have you do the work of 5 associates for the same amount of money and then threaten to fire you if you could not do it to their 'High' standards.
If you notice that a refrigeration unit is not retaining the right temp and leaking water, and you bring it up to a supervisor or manager you would expect that would be taken care of immediately right? Wrong.
The obvious response would be to ignore it and not deal with it until it floods 3 entire depts forcing half the store to be unavailable.
I personally had to attempt to do my job all the while wading through cold water with the risk of getting sick because of their refusal to do anything until it is an unavoidable issue. Management at all levels is a joke, and there is no value placed on your work ethic or performance regardless of what they tell you. Above all there is no opportunity for advancement of any kind.
Pros
401k, health insurance
Cons
bad management, Poor work conditions, no work value
Horrible Company to Work For
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXSeptember 8, 2018
Don't let this Companies media advertisements of scheduling being a better for associates for them to help manage their lives ( Its Horse crud ). Yes they give raises but then they cut their hours and lock scheduling off where long term associates cant have a life outside of work then they lock into a schedule that doesn't even fit their needs. Then they treat their long term dedicated associates like they are scum of the earth. Their scheduling is take or leave it. Paid holidays comes out of their own associates pto time. Sick time can only spent on the associates family.
Pros
Cons
lie about everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.

544.2K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Walmart.

Powered by Comparably