Ward Trucking
51Below average

Ward Trucking Employee Reviews

United States124 reviews
We have great managers at our terminal and a great team of drivers. Pay is about average and benefits are decent. If you can't pedaling freight and your backing skills are poor, this job isn't for you.
Rarely never loaded on time. Two pay rates for drivers, dock rate when u arrive, drivers rate when u leave the dock, so when u arrive ur truck may take 2 hrs to get loaded, 2 hrs at dock rate pay. Many dock workers inexperienced, constantly damaging freight. Put up with it until something better came along. Almost forgot, management definitely has its favorites, requested a day off well in advance, denied. The driver getting loaded next to me is bragging how he was offered that same day off.
Ward Trucking overall is a good company, been around a long time, dispatching can get a little hairy, but the money is good, but they don’t pay overtime at all, it’s all straight time, that’s why the hourly wage is so high. They lay drivers off when it’s slow in the beginning of the year, usually picks up around March/April
Not a family friendly company
Not a job for a single parent

Lots of favoritism

Terrible management

Management treats you like your stupid

Management doesn't help out when your short handed
I thought Ward Trucking was a great fit for myself but after they through seniority dispatch at me right around the Thanksgiving Christmas season and then pretty much fired me the day after Christmas I wouldn't recommend this company for anybody
Job seekers rely on your experience.
This is a company that I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for the pay and benefits is the best thing about this company not everyone gets treated the same they have their picks of people the equipment is always down they'll lie about a lot of things safety department is very unfair and doesn't know what they're doing. It's just so much bad things about this company that I can write write a hundred books on all bad nothing good
Its a LTL company. You will be well compensated. Plenty of hours sometimes too much. Your home life will suffer due to starting mid morning and getting home 7pm or later.
Tell you that you are a turn driver, then make you a regional driver. Your off holidays then forced to work. Wouldn't recommend. Trucks are not well maintained.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No family time
Office personnel just did as they pleased on second shift. No management or control over the employees. Management advised I was not performing to their standards but could not explain where.
great company to begin your driving career with. great for education and leads to great career paths down the road. Nice equipment and staff. clean and safe enviorment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ward Trucking?
Management is horrible, dispatcher does not know how to do his job. Can’t tell you how many guys quit cause of him. Their log tablets are always screwing up which caused me to get written up a couple times cause it didn’t take my clock ins or outs for my lunches. The truck are falling apart. They tried to send me to pick up hazardous materials with huge holes in my trailer. Every morning they want you to text them at 6am just to see if your working that day or what time they want you to start
It was a good paying job. Down sides out weighed the good. You worked outside in all weather. High pressure most of the night, due to picking up slack of other co workers. Management did not want to intervene to help the good employees to discipline to employees slacking off.
Very very great job to work for I would consider me going back there and I’m considered for a rehire there on file great people, great organization very organized and much room for advancement.
the pay is the only good part of working there ! they dont tell you that you barely get 32-35hrs a week ! And the coworkers would rather see you struggle then help you out !
Great staff very helpful layed back work place. I'm yet to work there in the winter months could be a bit of a challenge. But I look forward to the up side of the job at hand.
Ward has very poor management.. no communication with each other. All they want is numbers that looks good on paper from someone who hasn't even been behind the wheel of a truck. I would not recommend working there. Drivers who had 15 to 20 years there left recently... that says a lot. Had enough of that place a aftee
Very good pay, but you earn every penny. Long hours. Very good benefits. Management is distant. They don't much care about workers feedback. Drivers operate much like a union shop. Seniority is very important, which is good and bad. Some senior drivers are worthless and managment is scared to do anything.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Very unorganized, Driver seniority to much too important
The work at Ward is fairly easy... that is if they give you any work at all. If you dont have a few spots in seniority, expect to get a text AT LEAST 3 times a week saying "Sorry no route for you today call back." This happened to me from January the "slow" season all the way into August when it was time to move on.

Now let's say they do work you.... You get to enjoy ZERO overtime. Work 60 hours...ALL straight time... 401k match?? NOPE. Uniforms... they give you enough to buy MAYBE 2 shirts and 2 pants from their catalog. Enjoy paying for the rest out of pocket. They Illegally STEAL 30 minutes from you every day even tho it is not required by DOT for our job which is technically falsifying logs. I will say Brett and a few other guys were great people, but Ward is a sinking ship
Pros
Home every night unless they send you out of town, newer equipment
Cons
No time and a half, no 401k match, pay for your own uniforms, unsteady work, lose 30 min a day due, if work is slow prepare to starve.. they don't care about you.
General Manager has a my way or the highway mentality, even when he is wrong and knows it. Vp of ops is a kid who is lost in every aspect of business and reacts before comprehending what is actually going on. The future of this company is surely one I would not want to be a part of and would not recommend people to join.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No loyalty, nothing positive
I love working at Ward it's a great place to work everyone is very friendly management is very good they're very understandable about everything the equipment isn't the best but it gets the job done
They would be good if they started off with steady work. Your on call when you start. You can work only 2 days a week. I drove for them in Ben Salem, Pa. If you can get through a month or two of that, I guess its ok; but I didnt stick around to find out.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No steady work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ward Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7