Ward Trucking Management reviews

Good Company to work for
Local P&D Driver (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 13, 2018
I have only been here three months but cannot complain. The workload is good. Pay is hourly and they are giving me the hours that I need to make a decent pay check. You get a raise after 6 months then after your first year. Every once in a while it is slow and may only do 4 days instead of 5, but the fact that I can do a little over 12 hours any given day the week it does not affect me that hard. You get weekends off which is great if you have a family and want to enjoy life. So far I have not had any issues with anyone in Management. It is like a family atmosphere where they treat you with respect and are willing to work with you if you have any issues. I can not comment yet about the benefits because I just became eligible for the Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits this week so I haven't utilized them as of yet. Overall I have to say that I am enjoying working for Ward and I have over 20 years in the industry so this statement says a lot.
Pros
Good hourly pay, Family Benefits, Good Management, Friendly atmosphere, Feel appreciated
Cons
No Cons Yet
Not what I expected...
Logistics Solutions Manager (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAMarch 27, 2018
I've been here almost 2 years now and it's been challenging at times, but people really listen to you and upper management is just a call away.
A very forward thinking company - some stragglers stuck in the stone age, but things get done here.
Seems like there is a lot of room for advancement.
I didn't have the highest expectations of Ward but it's been 2 years and I couldn't be happier!
Cons
No 401K match. Do profit sharing, but I'd rather have the guaranteed match
Family owned
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAMarch 27, 2018
You are not a number here. Treated like family. Not that families don't disagree but the company is always willing to listen to both sides.
The company is always recognizing employees for safety, seniority, performance, and wellness.
Pros
Family owned, in business 86 years, never missed a paycheck, profit sharing
Great if you dont like your wife or are single
Non CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAFebruary 10, 2018
long hours between 10-14 hours a day
pay is below average with no ot offered all straight time
management thinks they are above the rules
some newer equipment but a lot of older stuff.
dispatch cant seem to answer a phone call but will text you and tell you don't bother them.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
long hours, no advancement. no home life
Company extorts money from their employees
Driver (Current Employee) –  Bensalem, PANovember 3, 2017
Mandatory Wellness testing they called voluntary if you don't do it you are fined $800 if you're an individual if you're married and neither of you submit to their blood work test you would be fined $1,600. I will leave this company as I will not work for somebody who extorts money from their employees don't ever work for Ward Trucking the worst trucking company on the planet
Pros
Cons
Extortion
Good Pay. Great Benefits. Lack of Work/Life Balance
CDL B P&D DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAAugust 11, 2017
Management is better than co workers. Great job if your single or willing to sacrifice social life. Reliable company, hard work is definitely rewarded.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
No Work/Life Balance AT ALL
Family Owned
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAJuly 26, 2017
They are a family owned company. Always strive for better solutions and goals. good Coworkers. Management could do a little better. Yearly pay raises (if you meet target goal for the company).
Good pay, great benefits
Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2017
The management puts drivers first - good pay, great benefits, profit sharing checks! Newer equipment and safe conditions. You can make a nice life for yourself here.
Pros
Pay, newer trucks, stable company, weekends off
Cons
long days
plenty of hours with no overtime
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PAFebruary 9, 2017
you are just a number, they let good drivers go. Operations manager who deals with the drivers is horrible, be careful he might spit on you while he's dipping. They need to update operations and fix doors so forklift drivers don't freeze in the winter. Work on damages and injuries like hitting people with the forklifts. Owner seems nice.
Pros
make decent money driving
Cons
no life during week, poor management
Horrible experience
Driver (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJune 15, 2016
Management is lazy and inconsiderable ward is an absolute disgrace to the trucking industry. Freight is always destroyed, horrible customer service
Review
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2016
odd working hours,poor organization from management. not the worst place ive worked as far as the job goes, not the best either. all in all not a terrible job but they take a long time of working eccessive hours to offer an employee a full time position
No Good
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYAugust 3, 2015
Ward trucking was a horrible place to work for, the management was never there, the employees were very lazy or barely even showed up for their shift, no one took that job seriously. The company did so bad that it closed down and went out of business.
Pros
no pros
Cons
horrbile place to work for
No Team work
A Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Camphill, PaMarch 8, 2015
Mechanic, covered 2nd & all of 3rd shift for 3 years, cant keep mechanics, Road drivers great to work with. Did most of work at night, nothing for dayshift to do , most equipment on road. Supervisors worthless day & night, let trucks & trailers run when serious issues happen with equipment., Hard to get parts after midnight, jury rig to next terminal, night office employees hard to work with, no overtime, all straight time, got to watch your hours or they will screw you out of time. Main shop cant fix the issues to trucks you send back, they just steam them off most of time & run it till they blow up, NOT a very safe place to work ! Shop & Dock from 1930's, no upgrades, Id suggest going else where, to much stress, Senior Brass keep money to themselves, dont share, If you have any brains you will look elseware, Mechanic, 35 years experience, i woke up & moved on !
Pros
Lots of screw off time if your not wanting to work like most
Cons
Fast paced, eat at tool box, worthless management
if you have any self respect, stay away.
straight truck driver (Current Employee) –  bensalem, paJanuary 24, 2015
Management could care less about people w/families. My wife went into labor so I called to tell the main manager I needed the day off and I was told that if I wanted to work there I would have to be there and I had to make a choice, I thought it was a joke .dispatchers text your cell phone while driving and get upset when you dont text them back (while you are driving).. they will keep u on the road until midnight because they dont pay overtime. You have to load your own truck before route, work 12 hrs on the road and then unload your truck while dodging unqualified forklift drivers. Very cheep they dont equip u with safe or proper equipment to perform your job and do not pay time and a half after 40hrs. Everybody is expendable, drivers come and go. A guy was fired when they accused him of not reporting an accident to the company, no police report, citation or any proof that an accident occurred just an anonymous email, a week before christmas. Most disrespectful and unprofessional management ive ever seen(only in movies).
Pros
all the class b drivers talk about better places to work, so theres hope
Cons
terrible health insurance plans
You are your own boss
Local Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 27, 2014
You control how you drive and time management. You go in and pickup your truck and trailer for the day. You make pick up and deliveries for the rest of the day. Pretty typical pickup and delivery job. All the other workers were nice. The hardest part was not knowing if you were going to be called in that day.
P/D Driver Richfeild OH
P/D Driver (Former Employee) –  Richfield OhioMarch 9, 2014
This is one of the absolute worst work environments I've ever been involved with. Dispatchers are absolutely clueless nor do they care about the problems you face on a daily route.

The work load at times is unattainable considering the amount of deliveries given average 14 and the average pick ups being roughly the same with a generally late departure time.

Their motto is we are undermanned because we expect more from our drivers. Operating area is to large for the manpower. This also goes for the dockworkers are understaffed as well.

The equipment is in bad operating condition especially their trailers. Daily you need to negotiate holes in the floor hidden by freight because of the its not my job mentality. Doors that won't open or close falling out of their tracks.

Everyone walks around in a highly miserable state of aggravation. The benefits are always being played with are sub par so that you will pay the greater sum of expenses. Long work hours all at straight time wages.

It's a point the finger at the other guy mentality and complain how everyone else doesn't od their job.

I would not recommend this facility to an enemy much less anyone else.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
too numerous to list
family owned
Combination Driver-Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 22, 2014
great environment. good pay great benefits. management was good.
good place to work
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 2, 2014
family was worked here. decent training and pay.
management is okay.
great group of guys to work with.
fast-paced
Extremely disrespectful and does not care about you as a person
P/D Driver (Former Employee) –  Richfeild , OhioAugust 15, 2013
This is by far the worst company I've ever been employed. They don't care about you as a person. A complete different set of rules for drivers versus everyone else. You're constantly talked down to and expected to operate at 150% at all times despite any unforeseen variables.

They have very high expectations with little or no support to achieve any these goals. They also offer some of the worst benefits available. Most list them as generic and you're lucky they pay anything.
Pros
Steady pay check if they need you.
Cons
Very disrespectful longs hrs with no overtime pay.
LTL freight deliver
Freight Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Harmarville, PAApril 19, 2013
Really great job but, they keep you out to your full 14 to 16 hours rules all the time.
Christ, your always doing a 16 hour log for management.
Freight, well, it's job security but, your going to pay for it.

No life, you start at 7:30am and your leaving at 9pm and til you get home well, you should of pitched a tent there.
Pros
job security
Cons
you live there no life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ward Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.