Washington & Jefferson College Employee Reviews

More words
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAMay 16, 2019
So how many words do I have to type about a work study job I had in college that I took because I didn't want to work at Walmart for another summer???
Fun work environment with flexibility
Barista Cafe (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 27, 2019
I work in the coffee shop, and it's fast paced on a typical day. As a student worker, I don't receive benefits, but I do get to work with many employees who are employed through the company (Bon Appetit) as well as other workers. It's always a positive environment, both with the employees and the students who choose to dine with us. The hardest part of the job is the disorganization with schedules and deliveries, the most enjoyable part is getting to make people happy.
Pros
Free lunch with a 5+ hour shift
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAJanuary 20, 2019
Great work and life balance. Great student body and faculty.
Benefits are very good. On site parking - historic building. Overall there is a great culture at Washington & Jefferson College.
Cons
None that I can think of
Good Workplace, Good School
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAJanuary 20, 2019
Good place to work. Good school. Benefits nice. Workplace culture is collaborative. Hardest part of job is the uneven hours. Most enjoyable is working with fellow students.
not much happened
College faculty secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 24, 2018
I had a work study position. I sat in the copier room of Mc Millan and waited to get calls from my boss or for someone to come into the room and need help with the printer. I mostly just did Homework
The only good thing about this job is that it built my resume
Assistant Women's Lacrosse Coach (Former Employee) –  Washington, PANovember 8, 2018
The only part of this job that I appreciated was that it was a resume builder. The coaches I worked for did not help in my advancement to find a new position.
education
Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAOctober 2, 2018
The education was great. The staff was helpful. The students were nice and the deadlines doable. There are really no complaints. Mostly because this is a learning institution ad not a job.
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, PASeptember 17, 2018
W&J was a great place for me to study as well as gain experience working. Supportive staff and supervisors. Temporary, college job, however, so nothing that I would do again. The compensation was reasonable and the work was well balanced with student life.
Loved W&J
Online Presence Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2018
I loved working here. Unfortunately, due to restructuring and budget restructuring, my position was eliminated. The college itself is a terrific place to work.
Pros
Good benefits, lots of PTO
Cons
Slightly disorganized
Great job for a student
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAMay 29, 2018
I worked as a lifeguard at my college that I recently graduated. Monitored swimmers and ensured safety in the facility. I enjoyed working at the facility but I stopped working because I moved back to my home.
Very fun place as a student worker
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAMay 23, 2018
I was only a student worker here at the college. I worked both as an assistant to the faculty secretary and as a lab assistant. Both jobs were very enjoyable and contributed positively to my education and career. I learned interpersonal skills as an administrative assistant and lab techniques as a lab assistant.
Enjoyable
Intramural Head Referee (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAMarch 21, 2018
Working intermural sports was very enjoyable. I got to see a lot of students from campus I wouldn't normally see. I also got to referee sports which I love doing because I enjoy sports.
A great place for professional development
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAMarch 19, 2018
Relaxing and enjoyable. A typical day includes plenty of administrative time to write notes, about 4 clients to see in individual therapy, and maybe an outreach program. The environment is very small and comfortable, and everyone knows each other. A limited clinicians means that the ones here take on a lot of responsibility.
Pros
small campus, intimate relationships with departments
Cons
very quiet and limited opportunities for advancement or expansion
Informative and well-rounded experience
Field Station Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2018
Had an extremely varied experience through coordinating a large number of projects and organizing other students in a distinct variety of environmental structures
Work Day
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAJuly 24, 2017
Your work day depends on the events at the college and what shift you work on. The shift that you work on depends on how your day will go and also the college students will affect you day.
Very poor leadership
Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2017
The department I worked in had two tenured faculty members that had two very different visions for the department. Unfortunately they did not have a working relationship that allowed them to reach a compromise, and one member of the department would refuse to actually make progress on an issue. There was a general feeling of disappointment about the placement of students into graduate school, but an unwillingness to commit to higher (or harder) standards because of a fear of student unhappiness. While student morale does need to be maintained, nurturing an environment where students realize they are being challenged can increase satisfaction and the feeling of accomplishment.The more difficult member of the department would also undermine those that worked at changing the environment.

Partially this is a problem with the particular department I was in. The school as a whole had larger problems revolving around leadership and disclosure. In particular, both my initial contract (which I signed) and my renewal contract (which I declined) were delivered late, and with significant reductions in benefits. However, the school had asked for verbal agreement to working there before the contracts, while presenting the benefits as unaffected.
Cons
poor leadership
Small campus community and environment
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAMarch 22, 2017
Very typical small private liberal arts community. Students are very focused on academics, which makes student affairs and student services undervalued and underappreciated from a higher up standpoint.
Pros
Small, close-knit community
Cons
Hard to introduce and campus change
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAMarch 20, 2017
Washington & Jefferson College provided with one of best learning conducive environments that I was ever involved in. The entire staff is there to help out at all cost and made it easy to get my work done.
Pros
Gave me experience in athletic administration
Cons
No position after internship
Quiet
LIBRARY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAJanuary 20, 2017
Smooth workplace. Everyone completes their tasks to help all students and public patrons. Very desirable job, able to study during the downtime. Enhance personal skills.
Good for some people
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAJune 1, 2016
I personally do not like calling people, but it's a solid job if you're up for the task. There's a good structure to everything and it's great hours for a college student.
Pros
Lots of benefits and prizes
Cons
Short hours, bad callers