Washington Federal Employee Reviews

it was an ok place
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 17, 2018
They really micro manage and they are really big on employing kids of their friends who has no experience in the job but get paid nice salaries and practically do nothing all day then become your team lead or being trained for a supervisory role and they do it out in the open they do not try to hide it
Pros
could be better
Slow paced, Nice customers, nice easy management
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 9, 2018
Been with Washington federal for 4 1/2 yrs. Started as a Customer service Rep and loved it the customers are really nice. 6 months ago got promoted to PB. When I accepted they refused to replace my teller position, I was expected to replace the teller window on top of my new PB. training is not good I have been learning on my own.
Hard to succeed when you are not well trained for the job you are expected to do. I have spent most of my time covering vacations doing my old job. The pay is low compared to other banks.
Pros
Monday- Friday weekends off
Cons
not enough pay, no room for advancement, bonus are hard to achieve
They don't value their employees'
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ORAugust 28, 2018
They are a wonderful company to work for unless you want to feel valued. I have been here over a year and even though I am up to date on all the federal regulations and have brought in over 4 million in profits over 3 months... I make less money than what my clients make in just interest. I don't even make enough to take advantage of our cd's.
Great co-workers
Bank- Teller then Back Office (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 19, 2018
Great immediate co-workers. Louzy department manager. Advancement only if you are in with the right managers. Seems like the company got too big too fast and is playing catch up, and trying to add new products and services at the same time, which really stresses out the employees.
Benefits
Cons
hours, weekend work, no formal training, iffy managers
Horrible company to work for
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 17, 2018
When HR interviews you, they talk of how wonderful the company is and the amazing benefits and the amazing training and none of it was true, this company is filled with false hopes. false promises, low pay, high expectations, and lack of management. clique-y management and HR makes it impossible to file any formal complaints and management will talk behind your back if you do anything even slightly wrong.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
everything else
Nice place just dont have a life
Customer Call Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 6, 2018
Me and my fiance were having an argument while i was on break and smoking a cigarette and my manager fired me for violating the company's proper use policy i even offered to air my dirty laundry for her if she was so worried about customer account privacy but she refused my offer and just let me go instead wasn't even in the building and i was using a personal phone no where did that violate the company policy i was there for 2 days and never received a warning for it just immediately terminated thanks
Pros
nice staff
Cons
reactive managers wont hear all the facts before making a decision
Excellent company to work for
AVP/Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 16, 2018
Family and community focus company, needs more career advancement opportunities for management. Great for entry level in this area. More local options would be a benefit to the communities that they serve.
Pros
Bennifits
Cons
Management advancements
Banking atmosphere
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTAugust 27, 2018
The best part of this job is the relationships made with the clients. I knew them by name, especially the regulars. Helping them understand their finances, online banking, mobile banking etc..
Pros
set hours with weekends off
Cons
your raise and salary depended on the manager
You Get What You Pay For
Loan Servicer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 12, 2018
The department I worked in hires mostly people new to town. I was mislead about the bonus and the ability to transfer. The company does have a wonderful break room and top notch medical benefits. They are a lot of company get together and celebrations. That leads me to believe other departments are good to work in.
Horrible Company
Mortgage Loan Processor III (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 5, 2018
Management is a joke. There is no collaboration and absolutely no accountability. Training was abysmal, teamwork is practically non-existent and it is like pulling teeth to try and get people to help one another.
Great manager but lack of doing what was hired for
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  West Salem, ORJuly 11, 2018
The bank manager was amazing, the other members of leadership not as much. Yet the lack of proper and full training in one area while attempting to learn another area outside of what I was hired for left me almost never doing what I was hired for.
Slow and steady will kill you.
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 8, 2018
This company is behind the times. Their management typically has very little experience outside of WaFed, which prohibits company and personal growth. Most days are spent bored, at least in my district, and especially my branch. Serve your time, then take your experience elsewhere.
Low Performance, Low Trust
Branch Manager/Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORMay 23, 2018
Toxic work culture, Lack of controls and any clear policies and procedures. DM in NO showed remarkable lack of emotional intelligence and displayed no interest in employees. The company is behind in technology, training and resources.
Cons
Technology, Controls, Training, Staff, Management, Culture
Good
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 1, 2018
Good place to start a banking career. Management was great. Fast paced environment. Good benefits. Prior banking experience would be beneficial beforehand.
Fun and Engaging
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Mill Creek, WASeptember 5, 2018
Washington Federal is a good place to work. They are open and inviting. They give you the tools you need to succeed. You can manage your office to your style.
Big disconnect between Corporate and Reality
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 30, 2018
I admire the corporate philosophy, but there is huge range of work cultures and environments within the company. I love working with the clients and many of the company ancillary support teams, but there is a confusing heirarchy and never sure if one is "allowed" to ask questions. Very uneven management and management styles- all depends where you are and honesty and transparency are pretty much missing in action. Felt Lied to on numerous occasions. Salary is low compared to others and you're made to feel lucky to get it. Constant harping on BE HAPPY, in an environment with no training, no backup, no support and paranoia that "big brother is watching"
Pros
Bank with no night or weekend hours, excellent benefits package
Cons
Inconsistant and generally unsupportive managment, pay not a living wage
it gave me a lot of anxienty
Director of Service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2018
Everyone was very friendly and nice but it gave me anxiety because when they trained me they trained us on specific situations and didnt really go into the key words we should listen too. Also the people we were told to ask questions to were almost always unavailable.
Pros
free food, friendly staff, lenient dress code
Cons
poor training, had their favorites.
Need to have more career advancement opportunities
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  University Place, WAApril 11, 2018
They need to offer more advancement opportunities without having to be relocated to another location for advancement. Also, the pay does not really match the cost of living for the area within
Potential to turn around
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 15, 2018
There's a huge disconnect between decisions coming down from corporate and what customer facing staff have to deal with. Each job has a host of responsibilities, more than comparable positions as other banks, and yet pay is one of the lowest in the industry.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
The pay is much lower than elsewhere with more responsibility
It's ok
Director of Service (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 6, 2018
I probably would have liked it better in a different position within the company. The company seemed to genuinely care for employees who have devoted their lives to WAFD, other than that unless you've been there 20+ years they don't know you.
Pros
Snacks provided, benefits, free drinks
Cons
Short breaks, horrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington Federal. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight