Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Change is Comming
Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2018
The people at WMATA are great and there is job security.
However, the culture is very combative and people have a difficult time working in teams.
The distributor of work is not well balanced and many go-getters are over worked.
Benefits
Great11
Metro Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2018
I enjoyed the job it was a great experience. I had no issues with the job. The reason I'm no longer with company anymore because I had to temporarily relocate
productive
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2018
Very good school to work for. Excellent network of schools. Strong culture at every campus. no room for advancement need to be on a need to know who you know to excel
Diamond in the ruff
Electrician (Current Employee) –  DMVDecember 30, 2017
Fairly decent benefits. The culture is explicitly unprofessional. Additionally, they breed new employees to follow suit. Advancements are hinged upon hearsay amongst management staff/ friends. There is no oversight of senior management, therefore, processes and the overall quality of the WMATA brand and product is stained. To make matters worse the "at will" leverage is commonly used abusively. There's No employee appreciation, no bonuses, no performance based incentives. Employees put out just enough energy to cover their responsibilities.. Sad because this company has tons of potential to be a crown jewel (organization) in the DC area.
Pros
Paid on time, union protection from mismanagement
Cons
Everything not mentioned in the pros.
Interesting
Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 23, 2017
Fast pasted environment, ability to acquire as much overtime as one desires. Not for a person with small children at home. Internal promotion can be acquired
Good
Emergency Management Fire/Life Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2017
Good place to start working, pays well - room for advancement and upward mobility is lacking. Raises are rare and you generally have to apply and interview for moving positions/pay-grade raises.
Pros
Good Salary, Good Benefits, Good Work Environment
Cons
Slow
Slow paced organization with no direct management.
Supervisor of Contract Inspections, ELES (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2017
The Metro was a good stable position, but no advancement, no pay raise and no direction from management.

Any decisions that we as supervisors had made was usually did approved by our manager who was not even qualified to be in the position he was in. Lack of experience from the manager is why the company is always in disarray.
Pros
Very stable position
Cons
Low pay and no advancement
Worst Place I have Every Worked
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 11, 2017
I have never seen a corporate environment that is so unprofessional. Personnel are inexperienced. I'm not sure how some of the staff members got hired. The working culture is out of order, lazy, unknowledgeable, disappointing. Personnel don't have common courtesies of returning phone calls within 24 hours. This practice is from management down. Cursing, loud and inappropriate conversations are common place.
Pros
Going home at the end of the day
great staff and management
Customer Information Lead Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 2, 2017
staff and management are great. Great benefits, the salary could be better considering the amount of duties and classification of the job. Management and the unions could work together to benefit employees needs.
A place with a lot of potential...
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 24, 2017
With recent change in senior leadership, we’re heading in the right direction. They inherited years of mismanagement and neglect, but came in making tough decisions, while improving the current status of the organization overall in a short period. If we continue to retain historic knowledge, recruit new talent with fresh ideas, and balance the old with the new, we’ll again be the nations role model in transportation.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Colleagues reluntant to change
Challenging work
Automatic Train Control Supervisor / Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2017
Pay scale in mid-level management does not pay what it should for the responsibility taken compared to the subordinates pay scale.
Subordinates are paid relatively the same as the supervisors.
Pros
Stable career
Cons
Always feeling threatened
Administrative aid
Externship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 18, 2017
Great work place to be in. Learn new things almost every week. Fun and also hard working. The day starts off just be everyone in a great mood never mad never downing. Just positive vibes everywhere.
Pros
Great environment
Great Pay and Excellent Benefits
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 11, 2017
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority offers a system with great pay and employees willing to put the work in to compete with other transportation companies to be successful.
the most enjoable part of the job
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 28, 2017
the customers we serve and upward mobility great benefits and retirement ability to provide effective service to the public in a safe and professional manner
General view of WMATA for my first 3 years..
Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2017
I love my current position at WMATA. Its less stressfull than my previous employer, I dont take that forgranted.
There is too much interdepartmental politics at WMATA thats all I have to say. I have to good sense of purpose and accomplishment at the end of the day. But its hard to make changes to certain things that could be better field support wise due to the amount of hoops you have to jump thru.

But in general I Love working at WMATA and its a great oppurtunity. I just beleive i can do more than what i am currently doing. There is a lot of young talent at WMATA thats being overlooked.
Pros
Job security, happy to come to work daily, not too stressful.
Cons
Departmental Politics
Great training and long hours
Trained Class B Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 2, 2017
An extensive training program and great work culture. Trainers take their time to teach the whole class and you advance through the training process quickly.
Pros
Pay, benefits
great company
Storeroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 29, 2017
productive good company opportunity to move up great people flexible traning classes to learn mnagement classes pay for school forklift license cdl is avaible to get
Maturity
IT Project Manager (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 24, 2017
Not a mature organization; processes are not standardized; high level of paper processing--little automated workflows. Personnel are advanced due to tenure. Very little training is provided to advance careers
excellent
HVACAA MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2017
great career opportunity to grew with in a company. Excellent benefit and plenty of Overtime. Have a lot of benefits riding the train for free discounts on retail as well
Stable, balanced and diverse
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2017
Best transit system in the nation provides a positive and safe work environment, developmental training and an excellent career path for all employees.
Pros
Stable, Benefits
Cons
Media, Media, Media

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2