Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Busy work environment
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2018
Always plenty to do in WMATA
Learn new technology
Work under very peasant management
Multi-cultural environment
Had the most enjoyable work place with them
Before coming to WMATA I hoped to retire from a company that cared about their employees.
Metrobus Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20001July 21, 2018
Make sure to join the union. Go to as many union members as possible and work safe. You can only fire yourself. Take advantage of the benefits that are offered at the time
metro pays the bills and thats all
Bus Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 17, 2018
good job to pay the bills , very stressful atmosphere, typical day consist of working to help with the next day fleet. I would like to say the benefits are nice but the rate the general manager is going, in the next year or so you wouldn't be eligible for any benefits. (retirement,401k,&pentions)
n/a
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 3, 2018
A typical day consisted of the employees either being given assignments to fix either hvac, mechanical or electrical problems with the railcars, moving trains in and out of the shop or clean-up the shop. During the course of 7 years I learned how to use hand, electrical, and pneumatic tools extensively. Management is decent to poor in most cases. The best part about the job is the people you work with. Management is what hurts the experience.
Job
Revenue Processing Tech II (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 28, 2018
It is ok
Good people
Good hours
No stress
I don't understand why I have to answer this question if I don't want to.
I don't have any more to say about this company please stop asking me
Productive and great place to work
General Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 27, 2018
Not much advancement opportunities
Hours are based off of seniority which makes it hard sometimes
Great benefits and salary
Union based
Great policies
Cons
Not much advancement opportunities, Hours
n/a
Specialist, FMLA (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 26, 2018
This job does not allow for a work life balance; in addition the information that you are provided during your interview or at the time of hire about the job and the atmosphere of the organization are not accurate.
Learned alot with WMATA
Sr. Purchasing Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 26, 2018
I learned a lot within WMATA as I moved within a variety of positions. I enjoyed my work and the individuals that I worked with most of the time. The hardest part of the job was being involved with an administrative union which didn't benefit the Authority.
Great Company
Bus Planning and Operations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2018
The company pays greatly. You could really maintain a living working there. The environment is fast paced and that's what drives the work there. Great company.
Working for the Authority
Train Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2018
Life as a Train Operator was very rewarding. I loved my job. I loved interacting with the customers and my co-workers. Management, depending who the individual was, was ok. This would be the perfect career if the company had people friendly, morally and ethically trained Managers. Outside of the management, the Authority is a beautiful place to work, raise your family and retire. I enjoyed interacting with my customers, helping the public, chit chating with my co workers.
Pros
interacting with the public, great benefits, and excellent pay
Cons
poor management, no moral, clique-like behaviors and favoritism
It is a nice place to work
Diversity & Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 3, 2018
It is a nice place to work. A few years ago it was chosen as one of the best places to work in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area. There are chances for upward mobility.
Worst Company I ever worked for.
Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 30, 2018
I came in early every day and clocked in on time every day and was fired for not clocking in 10-15 minutes earlier by which i was not even told that i had to. I was thankful to have the job because it afforded my family better opportunities which had me coming in 20-15 minutes early every day. The benefits were great and needed for my family and yet they basically took some sort of issue with me and decided to let me go without reason and because of poor agreements with the union i was let go without even being allowed the opportunity to fight for myself. basically they are hiring people for dream jobs and letting them go for personal reasons. Do not come in as a storeroom clerk like i did every other position that is available will better suit you if you expect to be there a while. the management in this area is horrible and the pay is not worth the mess you have to put up with.
Pros
coworkers, hours, pay, benefits
Cons
management
Very stringently regulated environment.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2018
Transit operation requires the utmost discipline from employees as well as supervision. Overall, that was a good match. However, occasionally, overbearing authority made for a tough day. Transit is primarily geared to public service. And anyone who has ever worked in public service has an idea how tough the public can be.
Don't expect fairness and equality - favoritism at its best!!!
PeopleSoft Functional HCM Security Analyst 9.1 (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 27, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of multiple meetings in conjunction with managing the day to day activities. You are expected to work on as many as three to four projects at a time and also complete the daily operation tasks.

The culture of the job can be cutthroat, there is a lot of favoritism in the organization. Management is at liberty to do whatever they want and the expense of good employees. You can be FIRED for no reason.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining efficiency due to the massive amount of work. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great customers.
Pros
Good benefits, decent salaries
Cons
Too much favoritismj
Experience is great
Office of Procurement & Materials Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2018
One of many best experiences of my life. I love that they allowed us to be ourselves and work together to produce amazing projects focusing on the improvement of the company.
Company Culture
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Southern Avenue Bus GarageMarch 19, 2018
WMATA is a fare company to work for. In my position, a typical day at work can be quite busy juggling different responsibilities at the same time. However, the Management can be much better in regards to deadlines, and the initiation of policies and procedures. The workplace needs work as to you have to give something (respect) in order to earn it. There is a lack of encouragement on the Management side in acquiring the quality of work you desire to be produced by your management staff.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Poor Management
Mission Critical Safety Sensitive Work
Rail Operation Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDMarch 14, 2018
The Rail Operations Control Center is the foundation for the railroad at WMATA. All communications, decision-making, and reporting is transmitted through the control center. As a key entity of WMATA your time is demanded of you. I have worked a variety of different shifts while working at the authority. The workplace culture is filled with talented individuals. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a fast-pace environment and dealing with work life balance. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing a service to customers and internal stakeholders that is considered valuable and essential to daily operations.
Stay Far Away From Here
Rail Ops Control Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 12, 2018
The lack of safety culture within operations will get you into a lot of trouble with the Federal Government so stay away. Veteran employees are afraid of change so their is a lot of friction between management and the unions. Rules & Laws are constantly being broken. The new CEO has a lot to fix but is improving the system.
Pros
Decent pay & benefits, some great people work outside of central, free use to the transit system
Cons
Unsafe operation, extremely poor management, abuse of overtime, and too many more to name here
I love this job
(AA) Electrical Power Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMarch 11, 2018
Good place to work, Good benefits Good co workers
Good management opportunities and growth and I love mentoring
co workers Good pension plan and I like working with people and helping them when needed. the management staff is very good and helpful in getting me tools to get the job done. A good training department.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Different shifts
great opportunities
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 10, 2018
Great opportunities for advancement if transportation is your forte. Training provided to anyone looking to secure a good job on the railroad or in bus transportation.
Pros
pay, co workers
Cons
long days, stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Reviews by Location