Washington State Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Interesting place to work
Office Assistant 3 (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAMarch 10, 2019
Very interesting and nice place to work. Would recommend. Great place for advancement. Really enjoyed my coworkers. The offenders can be alot to deal with but the coworkers will help you through it.
Leadership issues
IT Customer Assistant Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAFebruary 28, 2019
staff need a voice to be listened to and help bring change and lean practices into effect. I learned how to manage a budget for network replacement and telephony replacement in a secure prison environment.
Pros
stable employement
Cons
leaders fightig each other for their own agenda
Typical avenue used to further a career in law enforcement
Custody and Corrections Officer 2 (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAFebruary 27, 2019
Highlighted by large scale mandatory overtime and high turnover, the department is an extremely large entity that is best described as reactionary. More focus on actual training programs vs the on the job training answer for everything would help the department cultivate a change in the culture.
Corrections/Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Connell, WAFebruary 25, 2019
I like my job and the people I worked with I enjoyed my time that I worked there.
It was a lot of stress but the time was worth it and I will go back to it when I can.
Very cut throat
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJanuary 19, 2019
My last supervisor would regularly harass me. You have to pay union dues however you will not be represented by thr union at all for any reason. The commute is long and not paid for.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Management was bad, regularly harassed
Loved it!!!
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Shelton, WAJanuary 14, 2019
The only reason I am no longer there is my Veterans Affairs service connected disability rating increased to 100% which requires me to only work a part time job or possibly being subjected to a reduce in benefits and the monthly payment decrease or lose the benefits completely.
Pros
great atmostphere
Cons
mandatory overtime
Interesting work environment, part of union
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJanuary 9, 2019
working for DOC was interesting, but I preferred the Seattle location to Vancouver. Management does not follow through with discipline, but you can build a lot of comradery.
Hard place to work
Community Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJanuary 9, 2019
Good stable place of employment especially medical and vacation time benefits. However, after 20 plus years, I'm looking for a more pleasant environment in which to work.
Benefits
Cons
Politics
Stressful
worker (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 5, 2019
Has the culture of high school. Constant negative gossip and drama. Leadership is clueless including the agency Secretary. Most Appointing Authorities are clueless as well.
It's a Job
OA3 (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 27, 2018
My position is mostly stress free and easy. But things can change quickly. advancement is possible but the process can be frustrating and so can going to another agency.
Pros
Good cheap health insurance, Union job
Cons
Working with offenders and reading their case's can be draining.
N/a
Work Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Connell, WANovember 8, 2018
This was an opportunity i took during my incarceration and i made the best of it while i was there and it allowed me to maintain a good work ethic for release
A very dysfunctional state agency
Contracts and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAOctober 28, 2018
Employees have no autonomy. Management in-fighting is ridiculous. Some people work really hard, but many do not. Divisions do not trust each other. It is a very political, dysfunctional atmosphere.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
low morale, ineffective management
Hard job to have a family with.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shelton, WAAugust 31, 2018
A typical day at work was patrol once an hour, sort mail, listen to offenders complaining or staff, fill out paper work, and pray you don't get mandatoried for another shift. The hardest part of the job is constantly second guessing decisions you make through the day based on what other officers are doing.
Pros
Over time pay
Cons
Over time
Great Place to Work
Correctional Industries Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAAugust 17, 2018
If you can get around the fact that you are working in a correctional facility, then you'll be fine. Not bad at all. You are not there to judge offenders, just do your job.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Prison
This is a fun place to work
Community Corrections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 16, 2018
I enjoy working at the Department of Corrections. I was offered training which gave me the opportunity to promote. This jog allows individuals to help promote change in people
Pros
Promotion and training opportunities
Cons
stressful
Stressful from staff and inmates
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Connell, WAAugust 10, 2018
Great place to work for the money but upper management don't honestly care about the employees. It's not a great thing when your captain walks by all of the staff and doesn't even say hi but will have 15 minute conversations with the inmates and laugh. Simply put....if you don't have a doc number you get ignored.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
review of DOC
Correctional Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2018
The DOC is a fast paced job, which at times can be stressful. However, there were many great people that I got to work with. The work is always interesting. There are many opportunities to move around within the DOC and gain new job skills and advance your career.
Excellent place to work
Marine Mechanic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJuly 27, 2018
Day starts with safety meeting with inmate crews, job, and task. Learned to be patient with inmates learning mechanical aptitude. Managed daily work load according to availability of vessels. Hardest part of job is identifying individual inmates working knowledge in marine field. Most enjoyable part of job is training inmates to create job marketing skills.
productive work space,Supportive peers
dish washer (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJuly 25, 2018
I learned that you must be ready to work with others and listen to what others have to say, i learned to pick up extra weight for others and also myself while working at the facility, I also learned to be very helpful and mindful of others so the most joy-able part about the job was coming in and learning about other people.
Pros
Good supporting peers
Bad Management, but good pay
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Connell, WAJuly 24, 2018
Don’t apply here if you get easily frustrated with supervisors. None of them actually try and help. Great pay for anonyone looking for an easy intro job.