Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

A great career, if you can manage to get hired.
Transportation Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Union Gap, WAFebruary 23, 2019
As a female working in construction I was paired off with a female to mentor me. She was less than excited to have gotten stuck with me, however, so I was kind of pawned off on other inspectors all summer. I had hoped to have more responsibility but I mainly got to observe. I honestly felt unwanted but still I learned so much and I thought the people were very down to earth and intelligent. I think I would have enjoyed the summer if my mentor spent some time actually talking to me and training me to do things all the other interns were learning. That part made me frustrated the whole time. The pay and benefits are awesome when working for a federal agency. I am trying to get hired on now that I have a degree but it is a very competitive process.
Not a good employer
Washington (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 29, 2019
WSDOT is currently firing and running off all ot the employees close to retirement replacing them with kids right out of college with no skills and little knowledge. The people are brow beaten, bullied, harassed and hide in their cubes, eyes always down not to be noticed.
Pros
ORCA card
Cons
HR is vicious, Managers aren't supported, unqualified Directors.
Family like atmosphere
Transportation Engineer 1 (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 20, 2019
I truly gained a lot while working for WSDOT. I believe that they put time and energy into training employees to ensure that all levels of design and construction are successful. I believe WSDOT encourages branching out.
Pros
training, work schedule flexibility, projects
Cons
layoffs, pay
Great Agency
Environmental Lead / Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Union Gap, WANovember 11, 2018
Great learning opportunity, good managers, Delivering a safe and dependable transportation network for Washington State citizens. A great place to live and work!

Kind of a odd requirement to put an on-line resume on Indeed.
Pros
work hours
Cons
limited upward mobility for non engineers
Underhanded
GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 1, 2018
Poor Management

Lack of Direction

Bias toward personal friends over quality of work

Wasted money

Wasted time

Busy work that would often get thrown away
Pros
Per Diem
Cons
Poor Compensation
I was an unpaid intern
Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
I did not have many roles as an unpaid intern. The people I worked with seemed nice enough there. I would like to know what it would be like to actually have tasks to do but it seemed like a stress-free environment.
Good benefits
Confidential Secretary/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 18, 2018
Good benefits and pay. Administrative Assistants are a good team. I was happy to be a part of a good team. The location is good if you live in Olympia.
Good benefits.
Fiscal Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 22, 2018
Smart, educated people to work with. Lots of training available if you are interested. You are able to move to different departments if you prefer. Many opportunities available.
Good Benefits and job security
Transportation Technician II (Former Employee) –  Spokane County, WAJuly 24, 2018
Lots of hours during the summer and not much in the winter. It was a seasonal position while I went to college. I only worked in the summer. As a pavement inspector I was on my feet a lot in the heat. Sometimes you could work up to 80 hrs in a single week. The hardest part of the job is all of the mandatory overtime, but good money for pretty easy work.
fast pace
Compress Natural Gas Inspector (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 18, 2018
very good time in regard to learning but I had to go to be relocated. Friendly people and somewhat stressful because I stayed busy. Good time and now its time for new challenges
Pros
Free time
Cons
Stress
Dot
Sales Yard Rd (Current Employee) –  Prosser, WAJune 30, 2018
we plan a moth in advance what we are going to do, depends on what equipment we are able to use during certain parts of the year because it is all shared through the state. Most important for us are accidents and potential hazards on the state routes. safety is always number one and when working on the road at any certain time we have to follow the M54.44. to make sure we are up to osha standards. the crew i work with is great, Management on the other hand makes it difficult to work at times. best part of the job is helping the public.
Pros
4-10s and good benefits, paid leave and vacation
Cons
nothing is ever finished, management likes to bend the rules in there favor, i want fair envoiroment
Great coworkers, poor management & HR
Property & Acquisition Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WAMay 22, 2018
Met and worked with many amazing people at WSDOT, but problems with management were ongoing and HR did little to address said problems. Ultimately left due to what had become a very toxic work environment. The job did not pay nearly enough to put up with that level of stress and negativity.
Pros
Coworkers, pension, healthcare, flexible schedule
Cons
Management, Hr, wages, outdated IT policies
Pay
Office Assistant 3 (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAMay 10, 2018
The reason for the large turn over rate is because the salary is extremely to low for this area. How in the world do they expect someone to live on what they pay especially in the Seattle area. There are a lot of rude, lazy people that work here.
benefits
Cons
Pay
Good place to work, but lacks challenges
Aviation Safety Inspector (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 1, 2018
A good place to work, but if you have a lot of energy, work is slow and the term "Government pace" really shows. Although affected when the government shut down, one never lost any pay.
Pros
Government work. Secure
Cons
Kind of boring after the years. Good job for an older person
Excellent Agency with Fun and Strong HR team
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 1, 2018
WSDOT helped grow my HR experience in a fun and exciting way. The HR team is thoughtful, caring, and seeks to grow talent from within. The size of the agency allows for you to get involved in many HR disciplines.
Great training ground
Project lead (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 7, 2018
WSDOT was a fun place to work but they are always low on funding and talks of layoffs from the bottom up happen every couple of years. The classes offered are great.
A great learning opportunity
Transportation Intern (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAJanuary 19, 2018
As an intern with the DOT I feel that I learned alot about my desired field of study. I would work here again. The hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Challenging
Financial Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 19, 2018
There is always a project to be finished, so my days went quickly. My job consisted of reviewing travel vouchers, assisting employees with travel plans to ensure they met government set guidelines. Reviewing and processing purchase orders.
I learned a great deal about how the Federal Highway works, thing I didn’t know as a civilian employee.
Management is great, they encourage you to excel and continue learning new things. I enjoy the interaction with my fellow employees and management.
The hardest part of the job is year end. In my job it meant getting the employees to file their vouchers by the end of the fiscal year. Making sure the reimbursable accounts are current and all purchase orders have been entered into the accounting system, so the money is allocated.
The most enjoyable part of the job is during the holiday seasons. There is allot of interaction between employees and it’s a lot of fun.
Pros
You can set your own hours
Cons
Sometimes deadlines cause other duties to suffer
A very pleasant environment.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WA 98504December 12, 2017
A very intense job with coding FileMaker Pro forms and databases. Because of that was able to take breathing breaks to get away from computer to rethink what I was working on.

It was easy to losing track of time while building code.

The enjoyable part was completing a system that they still use today for their records management.

Getting into systems built by others to fix problems or add to them to make functionality better.
Government job
Operation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 14, 2017
I used to work here as an engineer, and as an engineer, this is a great place to work. The projects are usually the same, but there are good 401k and insurance.