Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Averga day at Washignton Dept. of transportation
Transportation Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WANovember 2, 2017
Arrive at work at 0600. Check any emails,and finish daily reports..
After morning meeting head to the construction site and oversee contractors. Ensure the material,product and equipment being used is to contract specs.
Pros
Great personel from bottom to the top. being out of the office most of the day.
Cons
being away from family
Work environment
SMALL MAMMAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAOctober 30, 2017
Worked on the I-90 East project. Everyone that I met was very nice and helpful while we were conducting our research. Good place to work, if you are unsure, it's worth a shot.
Amazing
Network Services Telecommunications (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 20, 2017
Here at WSDOT, they are amazing people to work with. They care about you and want to make sure that you succeed, if it school work or life they want to make sure that you are good to go.
fun place
QA Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 12, 2017
Respectful place to work and very diverse, I would recommend it to anyone to work there and get the needed experience in the government sector which will open several doors for you in the government jobs.
Working for WSDOT has it's challenges and rewards.
Transportation Engineer 4 (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 28, 2017
Every day can offer different challenges and opportunities to resolve complex issues. I have learned about computer aided drafting, roadway design and construction, right of way acquisition, and state and federal policies, laws, and regulations. WSDOT management are often selected from individuals who may have great engineering skills, but are not particularly gifted at managing people. The culture can be heavily political at times. The hardest part of the job is overcoming bureaucratic hindrances in preference for common sense solutions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me has been the opportunity to be creative in communicating complex engineering solutions through 3D modeling and computer graphics.
Pros
pension, health benefits, annual and sick leave, job security
Cons
few cost of living increases, increased retirement contributions without increased retirement benefits
Great place to work.
Executive Assistant to Director of Aviation (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WAJuly 10, 2017
A lot of training and advancement opportunities. Also opportunities to advance. Pay scale was great. Able to fly government airplane to many of the State owned airports.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
No cons.
Illuminating, stressful, and good work ethic
Transportation Technician (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAJune 24, 2017
Older coworkers and management are very knowledgeable and try to pass that on. Most employees care about the work they do as civil servants for the public. Parts of job are high risk like construction positions - safety is a top concern and it is not just lip service. Finally, there is a camaraderie between workers and sometimes even departments that is refreshing.
Great co-workers and management
Customer Service/Lead Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 15, 2017
I have been a permanent employee with Washington State Government since 1989 always serving the public and employees with a smile and great attitude.

I recently retired after 28 years of successful service.

My desire to work outside of Government is strong. I am highly motivated and eager to show you how I can be your next employee
you are looking for.

My boss of 10 years was awesome and I shared a healthy
professional relationship with him. My performance reviews were
outstanding.

I could have worked longer on my last job at DOT as a front desk
worker managing multiple phone calls and people checking in practicing multi-tasking and people skills daily.
Pros
serving people all day
Cons
structured environment/unable to leave work station except scheduled
Interactive workplace with lots of opportunity for advancement
Maintenance Technician 1, Bridge (Former Employee) –  Port Gamble, WAJune 15, 2017
It is an amazing place to work and they offer great career development if you want to pursue it. They offer a lot of very useful training's, and everything is very safety oriented. They always stress safety when working out in the field and offer all the needed safety supplies to be safe.
Pros
Career Opportunity, Benefits, and Healthcare
Interesting place to work
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJune 9, 2017
A lot of paperwork shuffle in the accounting world. I have gained knowledge about the trucking industry and I will probably never use this knowledge again.
One of the best WA State agencies to work for.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 4, 2017
WSDOT is a large agency, about 6000 people, with a very wide range of job types and business areas; so it’s difficult to assess this employer. In general, the agency is well funded and well respected. It’s fairly easy to move around from position to position, developing skills and experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in-line with other stat agencies.
Great place to work!
Traffic Signal Operation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAFebruary 10, 2017
Great place to work - stable job!
Good benefit
Good Health care plan
Good working environment
Pay is below average compare with the industry
wsdot
Collision Data Analysis (Current Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJanuary 29, 2017
I work as a data collision analysis we analysis collision reports. a typical day will be working for 9 hour analysis and correcting collision reports. The hardest part is sitting for 9 hours, the culture environment sames a anywhere else work environment, you got your ok people and not so okay people you just learn to deal with them.
Pros
short lunch
Cons
short lunch
Steady work with benefits
Executive AA - Procurement and Materials (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 20, 2017
I enjoyed working for the DOT but job security was good up until the job cut backs and I was laid off. I would recommend DOT to others and would work there again if given the chance.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Management and supervisors need more training
ok place to work
Transportation Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  olympia waSeptember 28, 2016
interesting place to work. Management needs to take some more initiative. Lots of opportunities for training and job growth. Salary and benefits are below those offered by other agencies.
Good place to work for
Document Control Specialist/Records and Estimates (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98104August 17, 2016
I love working here, I have great friends and have learned a great deal, but to many clicks that needs more supervision. I'm tired of the long commute every day.
No Comment
Highway Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 21, 2016
Same not happy about some things but I'm not going to slander the WSDOT or it's employees. So I do not wish to comment have to do this to continue

inieunvievinqberibveriuqhwe ciweurt wase hiuwheliurht qwliurcthqliauhses rciuqwgahsdlbvasjksdvnakslzhbdkj
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
No Comment
Horrible managment
Fiscal Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJune 24, 2016
The job was easy but the supervisor for this position was very hard to work for. Expectations were too high to reach. Supervisor does not know how to work with anyone smarter than her.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bad Supervisor
Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant 3 (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 9, 2016
I loved working at WSDOT. My boss was the best boss one could ever ask for. The HR Department Staff were so great as well from helping you get on permanently to helping you through the FMLA process, anything you needed help with... They were more then happy to help you through the whole process.
Not all it's cracked up to be
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, North Central RegionFebruary 21, 2016
I worked for North Central Region in Wenatchee for 28 years and found that unless you worked in Engineering you were treated like a nobody. Maintenance workers weren't treated as well as Engineers but better than anyone else.

While I enjoyed the work - the micro-managing and incompetent supervisors, snotty back-stabbing co-workers and rude upper management (that needs to retire) - made the work days miserable. Every day I went to work I dreaded it and just wanted to be left alone to do my job.

Depending on what job you do - you most likely will be very busy. If you can overlook some of the co-workers and almost all upper-management you will be okay. In order to survive here you need to build up a real thick skin. You may also find it is sink-or-swim with very little actual help.

I did appreciate the leave that you can earn over time. I also enjoyed learning different aspects of my job and meeting a lot of different people.
Pros
Healthcare, earning leave, wage, and meeting a lot of people
Cons
Co-workers, upper-management and preferential treatment given to some