Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in Olympia, WA

Productive and fast work place
Fiscal Technician (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 14, 2019
I had a great time learning new programs, as well as helping the community out by playing a role in the Washington State Department of Transportation. Although I was in a Non-Permanent position, I received great training and experience for my future endeavors.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Non permanent position
Excellent Agency with Fun and Strong HR team
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 1, 2018
WSDOT helped grow my HR experience in a fun and exciting way. The HR team is thoughtful, caring, and seeks to grow talent from within. The size of the agency allows for you to get involved in many HR disciplines.
A very pleasant environment.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WA 98504December 12, 2017
A very intense job with coding FileMaker Pro forms and databases. Because of that was able to take breathing breaks to get away from computer to rethink what I was working on.

It was easy to losing track of time while building code.

The enjoyable part was completing a system that they still use today for their records management.

Getting into systems built by others to fix problems or add to them to make functionality better.
Amazing
Network Services Telecommunications (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 20, 2017
Here at WSDOT, they are amazing people to work with. They care about you and want to make sure that you succeed, if it school work or life they want to make sure that you are good to go.
A fun place to work that allowed me to the opporunity on previously existing skills.
Natural Resource Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 24, 2017
A typical day on this job included maintaining wetland migitation sites, either by using herbicides or mechnical control methods. I gained hands on experience with noxious weed control and herbicide application. The hardest part of the job was long hikes over uneven terrain while carrying up to 50 fifty pounds.
Working for WSDOT has it's challenges and rewards.
Transportation Engineer 4 (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 28, 2017
Every day can offer different challenges and opportunities to resolve complex issues. I have learned about computer aided drafting, roadway design and construction, right of way acquisition, and state and federal policies, laws, and regulations. WSDOT management are often selected from individuals who may have great engineering skills, but are not particularly gifted at managing people. The culture can be heavily political at times. The hardest part of the job is overcoming bureaucratic hindrances in preference for common sense solutions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me has been the opportunity to be creative in communicating complex engineering solutions through 3D modeling and computer graphics.
Pros
pension, health benefits, annual and sick leave, job security
Cons
few cost of living increases, increased retirement contributions without increased retirement benefits
Great co-workers and management
Customer Service/Lead Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 15, 2017
I have been a permanent employee with Washington State Government since 1989 always serving the public and employees with a smile and great attitude.

I recently retired after 28 years of successful service.

My desire to work outside of Government is strong. I am highly motivated and eager to show you how I can be your next employee
you are looking for.

My boss of 10 years was awesome and I shared a healthy
professional relationship with him. My performance reviews were
outstanding.

I could have worked longer on my last job at DOT as a front desk
worker managing multiple phone calls and people checking in practicing multi-tasking and people skills daily.
Pros
serving people all day
Cons
structured environment/unable to leave work station except scheduled
One of the best WA State agencies to work for.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 4, 2017
WSDOT is a large agency, about 6000 people, with a very wide range of job types and business areas; so it’s difficult to assess this employer. In general, the agency is well funded and well respected. It’s fairly easy to move around from position to position, developing skills and experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in-line with other stat agencies.
Steady work with benefits
Executive AA - Procurement and Materials (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 20, 2017
I enjoyed working for the DOT but job security was good up until the job cut backs and I was laid off. I would recommend DOT to others and would work there again if given the chance.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Management and supervisors need more training
ok place to work
Transportation Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  olympia waSeptember 28, 2016
interesting place to work. Management needs to take some more initiative. Lots of opportunities for training and job growth. Salary and benefits are below those offered by other agencies.
Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant 3 (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 9, 2016
I loved working at WSDOT. My boss was the best boss one could ever ask for. The HR Department Staff were so great as well from helping you get on permanently to helping you through the FMLA process, anything you needed help with... They were more then happy to help you through the whole process.
Temp Work
HR ​Consultant (Assistant /Operations Technician) (Former Employee) –  Olympia WASeptember 4, 2015
Lots of opportunities to advance. Great job/life balance. Pay is good and benefits are good but it depends if your permanent then you get full benefits with retirement.
Good honest work
maintenance tech II (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 2, 2015
I would still be there if I hadn't gotten hurt. I always enjoyed hard work and equipment operation. Major politics but that is to be expected working for any government agency.
Pros
4-10 shift
Cons
Noisy and dangerous working along I-5
Incredibly easy to balance work and life.
Financial Reporting Manager/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 12, 2015
A typical day entails reviewing the work of other staff, building my own reports, attending many meetings, and responding to emails. I learned how to work with completely diverse (often conflicting) data systems to build reports that paint a consistent and accurate message. My direct management was mission oriented and driven to succeed. The accounting mission often conflicted with what operations managers wanted to achieve so that there was frequently conflict that needed to be resolved. My coworkers were professional accountants who worked diligently to achieve their own portion of the mission what mutually supporting others' missions. The most difficult part of the job was the ever-changing priorities and the lack of stable resources to accomplish those priorities. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the strong relationships that were easily fostered in that environment.
Pros
Stability, security, great parking.
Cons
Dreary government environment, slow-moving pace, meetings about meetings, unclear priorities
Claims, Torts, Office Administration
Claims Representative/Intern (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAFebruary 12, 2015
I started each day by checking emails from other co-workers, retrieved mail, sorted mail, assisted supervisor with mailings, torts, claims, data entry, email letters, and also helped out with 2 different Projects within this company.
The most enjoyable part of this job was learning how our State highways, county, city highways differ in respect to claims and torts filed for and against the State of Washington. I learned about the different Regions of our state, regulations and laws for claims and torts.
Pros
Job experience, and knowledge of our state
Cons
no future within
Fun, stable work environment with great people.
Storm Water Compliance Specialist / NPDES Program (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 17, 2013
A typical day at work for me is spent either in the office or in the field. In the office, I primarily monitor NPDES permit compliance. Using my own tracking system, I compile data, provide projections and contact field personnel. In the field, I conduct inspections of maintenance facilities, review stormwater best management practices and train maintenance personnel.
Everyday I learn something new. I knew nothing of stormwater and when I started I was expected to be the state's maintenance stormwater expert.
I have a great relationship with management and co-workers. I spend a lot of time with boss at the office and in the field and we have a great working relationship. My boss does a great job finding me answers, when needed, while promoting me within and outside the department.
The most enjoyable parts of my job are the co-workers, management and field work. I love to travel and while all my travel is within the state, a day in the field is always better than a day in the office.
Pros
Travel, management, co-workers, provide training, learning something new everyday, job opportunities
Cons
Cafeteria
Productive and enjoyable workplace
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 15, 2012
I started the day editing the GIS roadway data on the computer by using ArcGIS Desktop 10.0. All the employees in the different sections of Washington State Department of Transportation was very polite which made the office a pleasent place to work.
Dot
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 31, 2012
As a contractor I've worked several DOT projects and throughly enjoyed my experience. I'd love to do more work with them because I'm in a job search mode now.
Pros
great people
Cons
heck of a commute