Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in Vancouver, WA

Family like atmosphere
Transportation Engineer 1 (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 20, 2019
I truly gained a lot while working for WSDOT. I believe that they put time and energy into training employees to ensure that all levels of design and construction are successful. I believe WSDOT encourages branching out.
Pros
training, work schedule flexibility, projects
Cons
layoffs, pay
Challenging
Financial Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 19, 2018
There is always a project to be finished, so my days went quickly. My job consisted of reviewing travel vouchers, assisting employees with travel plans to ensure they met government set guidelines. Reviewing and processing purchase orders.
I learned a great deal about how the Federal Highway works, thing I didn’t know as a civilian employee.
Management is great, they encourage you to excel and continue learning new things. I enjoy the interaction with my fellow employees and management.
The hardest part of the job is year end. In my job it meant getting the employees to file their vouchers by the end of the fiscal year. Making sure the reimbursable accounts are current and all purchase orders have been entered into the accounting system, so the money is allocated.
The most enjoyable part of the job is during the holiday seasons. There is allot of interaction between employees and it’s a lot of fun.
Pros
You can set your own hours
Cons
Sometimes deadlines cause other duties to suffer
Great Place
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver WAOctober 23, 2015
Worked for 7 1/2 years. Loved it just no work and was laid off. Its a state job so very political. Would work there again but moved on.
Productive, fast paced environment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 13, 2015
I learned a lot during my time with WSDOT. I enjoyed operating heavy machinery and traveling with the State for contracts in Bingen and Chehalis.
Pros
Per Diem and travel pay.
Cons
Temp work
Federal Office working with large accounts
Office Assistant/ Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 14, 2012
Assist several departments in organizing large projects, data entry of
incoming/outgoing information, & meet deadlines. Maintain Technology Deployment’s library, phone, & email. Design and produce large technical publications, mailers, brochures, DVD’s, & public meeting displays. Maintain positive working relationships with an office of 150+ employees.