Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Review

View all Washington State Department of Transportation reviews

Challenging
Financial Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 19, 2018
There is always a project to be finished, so my days went quickly. My job consisted of reviewing travel vouchers, assisting employees with travel plans to ensure they met government set guidelines. Reviewing and processing purchase orders.
I learned a great deal about how the Federal Highway works, thing I didn’t know as a civilian employee.
Management is great, they encourage you to excel and continue learning new things. I enjoy the interaction with my fellow employees and management.
The hardest part of the job is year end. In my job it meant getting the employees to file their vouchers by the end of the fiscal year. Making sure the reimbursable accounts are current and all purchase orders have been entered into the accounting system, so the money is allocated.
The most enjoyable part of the job is during the holiday seasons. There is allot of interaction between employees and it’s a lot of fun.
Pros
You can set your own hours
Cons
Sometimes deadlines cause other duties to suffer

Other Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

A great career, if you can manage to get hired.
Transportation Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Union Gap, WAFebruary 23, 2019
As a female working in construction I was paired off with a female to mentor me. She was less than excited to have gotten stuck with me, however, so I was kind of pawned off on other inspectors all summer. I had hoped to have more responsibility but I mainly got to observe. I honestly felt unwanted but still I learned so much and I thought the people were very down to earth and intelligent. I think I would have enjoyed the summer if my mentor spent some time actually talking to me and training me to do things all the other interns were learning. That part made me frustrated the whole time. The pay and benefits are awesome when working for a federal agency. I am trying to get hired on now that I have a degree but it is a very competitive process.
Not a good employer
Washington (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 29, 2019
WSDOT is currently firing and running off all ot the employees close to retirement replacing them with kids right out of college with no skills and little knowledge. The people are brow beaten, bullied, harassed and hide in their cubes, eyes always down not to be noticed.
Pros
ORCA card
Cons
HR is vicious, Managers aren't supported, unqualified Directors.