Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Great Group of Professionals to Work & Learn with
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WANovember 6, 2017
Work started early in the morning and worked more than a typical 8 hour day. Wrote reports, surveyed employee production, worked with several different professionals in the field. Enjoyed being outside. Management was available and enjoyable.
Pros
Sense of Pride in work being done
Averga day at Washignton Dept. of transportation
Transportation Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WANovember 2, 2017
Arrive at work at 0600. Check any emails,and finish daily reports..
After morning meeting head to the construction site and oversee contractors. Ensure the material,product and equipment being used is to contract specs.
Pros
Great personel from bottom to the top. being out of the office most of the day.
Cons
being away from family
Work environment
SMALL MAMMAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WAOctober 30, 2017
Worked on the I-90 East project. Everyone that I met was very nice and helpful while we were conducting our research. Good place to work, if you are unsure, it's worth a shot.
Amazing
Network Services Telecommunications (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 20, 2017
Here at WSDOT, they are amazing people to work with. They care about you and want to make sure that you succeed, if it school work or life they want to make sure that you are good to go.
Dot
Logistics Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Renton, WA 98057September 5, 2017
Federal position with the DOT/FAA. I would recommend a position with the FAA as the pay and hours are competitive and the staff professional and the management fair.
A fun place to work that allowed me to the opporunity on previously existing skills.
Natural Resource Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 24, 2017
A typical day on this job included maintaining wetland migitation sites, either by using herbicides or mechnical control methods. I gained hands on experience with noxious weed control and herbicide application. The hardest part of the job was long hikes over uneven terrain while carrying up to 50 fifty pounds.
fun place
QA Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 12, 2017
Respectful place to work and very diverse, I would recommend it to anyone to work there and get the needed experience in the government sector which will open several doors for you in the government jobs.
Learned about aviation information.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 8, 2017
Processed personnel actions for 7 states. Also helped out with medical insurance for employees.

Ordered office supplies. Made travel arrangements.

There is no more for this review.
Pros
Aviation information
Cons
no cons
Too political
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 2, 2017
Too many people get caught up in the political game instead of doing the work. Too much game playing and a very hostile work environment. Departments that were there to help you, HR. EEO, counselor were all just a sham!
Pros
Learned some new work skills
Cons
Hostile work environment
Working for WSDOT has it's challenges and rewards.
Transportation Engineer 4 (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 28, 2017
Every day can offer different challenges and opportunities to resolve complex issues. I have learned about computer aided drafting, roadway design and construction, right of way acquisition, and state and federal policies, laws, and regulations. WSDOT management are often selected from individuals who may have great engineering skills, but are not particularly gifted at managing people. The culture can be heavily political at times. The hardest part of the job is overcoming bureaucratic hindrances in preference for common sense solutions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me has been the opportunity to be creative in communicating complex engineering solutions through 3D modeling and computer graphics.
Pros
pension, health benefits, annual and sick leave, job security
Cons
few cost of living increases, increased retirement contributions without increased retirement benefits
Great place to work.
Executive Assistant to Director of Aviation (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WAJuly 10, 2017
A lot of training and advancement opportunities. Also opportunities to advance. Pay scale was great. Able to fly government airplane to many of the State owned airports.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
No cons.
Illuminating, stressful, and good work ethic
Transportation Technician (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAJune 24, 2017
Older coworkers and management are very knowledgeable and try to pass that on. Most employees care about the work they do as civil servants for the public. Parts of job are high risk like construction positions - safety is a top concern and it is not just lip service. Finally, there is a camaraderie between workers and sometimes even departments that is refreshing.
good place to work
Reports Developer / Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 23, 2017
Excellent job variety. Good place to work with good benefits and we are asked to be creative. We have an improving ESJ environment and our leaders are working hard to improve.
Great co-workers and management
Customer Service/Lead Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 15, 2017
I have been a permanent employee with Washington State Government since 1989 always serving the public and employees with a smile and great attitude.

I recently retired after 28 years of successful service.

My desire to work outside of Government is strong. I am highly motivated and eager to show you how I can be your next employee
you are looking for.

My boss of 10 years was awesome and I shared a healthy
professional relationship with him. My performance reviews were
outstanding.

I could have worked longer on my last job at DOT as a front desk
worker managing multiple phone calls and people checking in practicing multi-tasking and people skills daily.
Pros
serving people all day
Cons
structured environment/unable to leave work station except scheduled
Interactive workplace with lots of opportunity for advancement
Maintenance Technician 1, Bridge (Former Employee) –  Port Gamble, WAJune 15, 2017
It is an amazing place to work and they offer great career development if you want to pursue it. They offer a lot of very useful training's, and everything is very safety oriented. They always stress safety when working out in the field and offer all the needed safety supplies to be safe.
Pros
Career Opportunity, Benefits, and Healthcare
Not a Living Wage
Maintenance Technician II (Current Employee) –  WAJune 13, 2017
7 years of working for WSDOT were locked down with no raises and no steps. Had to go to collective bargaining to break that but we''re still 40% below the cost of living in the Seattle metro area. Employees cannot afford to live in the county they work in.
Cons
Low pay, no raises, consistently missed lunches and breaks, and more.
Interesting place to work
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJune 9, 2017
A lot of paperwork shuffle in the accounting world. I have gained knowledge about the trucking industry and I will probably never use this knowledge again.
One of the best WA State agencies to work for.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 4, 2017
WSDOT is a large agency, about 6000 people, with a very wide range of job types and business areas; so it’s difficult to assess this employer. In general, the agency is well funded and well respected. It’s fairly easy to move around from position to position, developing skills and experience. Pay and benefits seem to be in-line with other stat agencies.
pretty good place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 4, 2017
Great job security and pay. Management priorities change quickly and management officials vary in their perspectives. Employees need to be very flexible in their work and priorities.
Pros
Job security, great benefits
Cons
constant shift in managment priorities and objectives
Faa
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 31, 2017
The working environment is very professional, and the opportunity to progress or learn new skills is wonderful. Advancement within 2-3 years is attainable.