Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Traffic Signal Operation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAFebruary 10, 2017
Great place to work - stable job!
Good benefit
Good Health care plan
Good working environment
Pay is below average compare with the industry
wsdot
Collision Data Analysis (Current Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJanuary 29, 2017
I work as a data collision analysis we analysis collision reports. a typical day will be working for 9 hour analysis and correcting collision reports. The hardest part is sitting for 9 hours, the culture environment sames a anywhere else work environment, you got your ok people and not so okay people you just learn to deal with them.
Pros
short lunch
Cons
short lunch
Steady work with benefits
Executive AA - Procurement and Materials (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 20, 2017
I enjoyed working for the DOT but job security was good up until the job cut backs and I was laid off. I would recommend DOT to others and would work there again if given the chance.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Management and supervisors need more training
Fun work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Renton, WA 98057October 18, 2016
On a typical day as a Lead Administrative Assistant I am responsible for clerical duties for a group of 44 individuals. My group deals with safety of the National Flying Space, which includes taking phone calls for accidents, unsatisfactory conditions reports, safety risk management for all the western area and routing this calls to the appropriate specialist.
I review time and attendance to ensure accuracy and compliance with government and state laws.
I review travel authorizations and vouchers for all specialist and managers, so that all monetary reimbursements are per FAA travel policies.
I review all memorandums and letters, routing for signatures and tracking within our filing system, also keeping with records retention laws.
Pros
Government job, with many benefits
ok place to work
Transportation Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  olympia waSeptember 28, 2016
interesting place to work. Management needs to take some more initiative. Lots of opportunities for training and job growth. Salary and benefits are below those offered by other agencies.
Good place to work for
Document Control Specialist/Records and Estimates (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98104August 17, 2016
I love working here, I have great friends and have learned a great deal, but to many clicks that needs more supervision. I'm tired of the long commute every day.
It was a very good place to work
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Various airports. Pasco Wanatchee Walla WallaJuly 24, 2016
The people I worked with were very good people. I have a bit of humor built in me and I was always kidding them. It seemed to strengthen the bond between workers. Also always helped out where help was needed.
Pros
The government benefits was very good
Cons
breaks were hard to come by.
No Comment
Highway Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 21, 2016
Same not happy about some things but I'm not going to slander the WSDOT or it's employees. So I do not wish to comment have to do this to continue

inieunvievinqberibveriuqhwe ciweurt wase hiuwheliurht qwliurcthqliauhses rciuqwgahsdlbvasjksdvnakslzhbdkj
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
No Comment
Horrible managment
Fiscal Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJune 24, 2016
The job was easy but the supervisor for this position was very hard to work for. Expectations were too high to reach. Supervisor does not know how to work with anyone smarter than her.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bad Supervisor
Poor Management
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 16, 2016
These folks are fake and have a management style that only benefits the management. Employees are talked about behind their backs and are ridiculed.
Pros
healthcare and retirement
Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant 3 (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 9, 2016
I loved working at WSDOT. My boss was the best boss one could ever ask for. The HR Department Staff were so great as well from helping you get on permanently to helping you through the FMLA process, anything you needed help with... They were more then happy to help you through the whole process.
Not all it's cracked up to be
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, North Central RegionFebruary 21, 2016
I worked for North Central Region in Wenatchee for 28 years and found that unless you worked in Engineering you were treated like a nobody. Maintenance workers weren't treated as well as Engineers but better than anyone else.

While I enjoyed the work - the micro-managing and incompetent supervisors, snotty back-stabbing co-workers and rude upper management (that needs to retire) - made the work days miserable. Every day I went to work I dreaded it and just wanted to be left alone to do my job.

Depending on what job you do - you most likely will be very busy. If you can overlook some of the co-workers and almost all upper-management you will be okay. In order to survive here you need to build up a real thick skin. You may also find it is sink-or-swim with very little actual help.

I did appreciate the leave that you can earn over time. I also enjoyed learning different aspects of my job and meeting a lot of different people.
Pros
Healthcare, earning leave, wage, and meeting a lot of people
Cons
Co-workers, upper-management and preferential treatment given to some
Asks for a lot, delivers very little in return
Transportation Systems Technician D (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 28, 2016
The Transportation System Techs have a huge scope of work.
Think of them as a
Licensed Electrician plus
Certified Electronic Tech plus
Radio Communications Tech plus
Computer Tech with
Commercial Driver's License and a
Traffic Control Certification and
a few more certifications thrown in here and there.

For bringing all this to the table, the state wants to
Pay you about 80% or less of what a commercial electrician makes
(Which will only happen after several years of step raises and three competitive promotions, lucky you)
Have you constantly carry a pager and/or state cell phone at all times and promise to always answer it.
Have you spend most of your time working in or next to live high speed traffic
Make a gardener, truck driver, janitor, etc. your boss
Station you at a remote site where the next closest qualified electrical person might be thirty miles down the road
Make you work for middle managers you might not talk to three times in 10 years.

If you are a top performer person with this sort of qualifications, couldn't you do better than this?
Pros
Secure, but advancement is problematic at best
Cons
Excessive on-call demands, bad/no leadership, no way to build teamwork
Great Career Path
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 8, 2015
I really had a wonderful experience working for The Department of Transportation. If you have a CDL license; I truly recommend you take advantage.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Flexible work
Cons
Need CDL to be hired on as permanent status.
Very awesome place, good people, hard working, but well worth it!
Concrete Inspector (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WADecember 8, 2015
I was a temp on the job for around 6 months and really enjoyed working with the people. It was hard work, but I got to meet good people who really cared about you.

I would work for them again if given the chance.
Pros
Awesome people, good ethics!
Cons
Temps are cannot work for very long.
Great Place
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver WAOctober 23, 2015
Worked for 7 1/2 years. Loved it just no work and was laid off. Its a state job so very political. Would work there again but moved on.
Cons
Better places to work if you are not a suck up.
Tranportation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kelso, WASeptember 21, 2015
Good place to work, lacks management reality in life which you can not get in a book or seminar. Individuals not promoted by merit only on what they can mess up for others to clean up and what pieces of paper they hang on the wall but can't score a passing score on tests subordinates aced.
Pathetic leadership at best with some exceptions.
Never know biannually if you will have a job because of RIFF threat.
Pros
Work loads change
Cons
Poor management and planning.
Temp Work
HR ​Consultant (Assistant /Operations Technician) (Former Employee) –  Olympia WASeptember 4, 2015
Lots of opportunities to advance. Great job/life balance. Pay is good and benefits are good but it depends if your permanent then you get full benefits with retirement.
Good honest work
maintenance tech II (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 2, 2015
I would still be there if I hadn't gotten hurt. I always enjoyed hard work and equipment operation. Major politics but that is to be expected working for any government agency.
Pros
4-10 shift
Cons
Noisy and dangerous working along I-5
Understaffed and underfunded group of hard workers.
Transportation Electronics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 16, 2015
Coworkers are of true quality. Plenty of technical variety to work with. Unfortunately many days are frustrating as all do more with less while having less to show for it.