Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Productive and many potential for development
Assistant Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 10, 2015
Excellent company to work for. A lot of promotional opportunities.
You will be put through a lot of training. Jobs are challenging and secure.
Pros
Many Carier development opportunities.
Cons
You can not leave the state unless you quit or find a new job.
This is a great place to work. Great people and lots of opportunities.
Management and Program Analyst (FV-343-H) (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 26, 2015
A typical work day begins early with a long commute and beginning work at 6 a.m. I check all emails since the day before and then begin running reports to ensure there are no issues with schedule or budgets for all projects that I monitor for the Western Service Area.

During my time at the FAA I have had many opportunities to strengthen my leadership skills. I love helping others succeed so obtaining a management position is in my future.

My direct management is great to work with. My recent manager really cared about her team, knew the business of the FAA and what our team is all about and allowed us to succeed. The majority of my co-workers are also great. There is such a great feeling of inclusion at the Service Center.

The hardest part of my job is probably that all the tools we use don't talk to one another so there is a lot of repetition in our work.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my team members and knowing I have a part in keeping the flying public safe.
Pros
Coffee shop and Gym located in building
Cons
Constantly changing resources
Incredibly easy to balance work and life.
Financial Reporting Manager/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 12, 2015
A typical day entails reviewing the work of other staff, building my own reports, attending many meetings, and responding to emails. I learned how to work with completely diverse (often conflicting) data systems to build reports that paint a consistent and accurate message. My direct management was mission oriented and driven to succeed. The accounting mission often conflicted with what operations managers wanted to achieve so that there was frequently conflict that needed to be resolved. My coworkers were professional accountants who worked diligently to achieve their own portion of the mission what mutually supporting others' missions. The most difficult part of the job was the ever-changing priorities and the lack of stable resources to accomplish those priorities. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the strong relationships that were easily fostered in that environment.
Pros
Stability, security, great parking.
Cons
Dreary government environment, slow-moving pace, meetings about meetings, unclear priorities
learning experiance
labor (Former Employee) –  everett waMarch 28, 2015
great place to work learned a lot great coworkers management were great hardest part of the job was it was only a temp job.learned how to be a labor. fencing. flagging, road work.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
temp
Productive, fast paced environment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 13, 2015
I learned a lot during my time with WSDOT. I enjoyed operating heavy machinery and traveling with the State for contracts in Bingen and Chehalis.
Pros
Per Diem and travel pay.
Cons
Temp work
Claims, Torts, Office Administration
Claims Representative/Intern (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAFebruary 12, 2015
I started each day by checking emails from other co-workers, retrieved mail, sorted mail, assisted supervisor with mailings, torts, claims, data entry, email letters, and also helped out with 2 different Projects within this company.
The most enjoyable part of this job was learning how our State highways, county, city highways differ in respect to claims and torts filed for and against the State of Washington. I learned about the different Regions of our state, regulations and laws for claims and torts.
Pros
Job experience, and knowledge of our state
Cons
no future within
This was a great job and I hope someday to become full time.
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 29, 2014
A typical day at work was usually always something new and I literally learned new things every single day. I learned several skills here, to this day it was the best job I've ever had. My management here was pretty awesome I always got along with them and they appreciated all my hard work and willingness to learn. My coworkers here were mostly pretty great always willing to help me or teach me anything I wanted to know. The hardest part of this job was working long overnight shifts. And sometimes being in dangerous situations on the highway. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning so many different engineer office and clerical skills. This is the job where I learned the most. The pay was awesome as well.
Pros
Great pay, some benefits for being a temp
Cons
long overnight shifts
great place to work
Transportation Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAOctober 19, 2014
can work in groups or individually. can easily find instructions on help to complete tasks.
fun and different
Utility Worker/Flagger (Non-Perm.) (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAOctober 8, 2014
it is the state, cant go wrong with this job, you have to pay union dues, not to excited when I had to. this job was fun, and the manager and co-workers totally awesome
Pros
state job
Cons
union dues
learned about working with union contracts
Fiscal Analyst 3-Payroll (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 15, 2014
Biweekly processing of payroll for union and non union employees. Processing of benefits.
Public Sector Work
Senior Materiel Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 3, 2014
I'd really like to get out of the Public Sector...I'm not able to grow at the level that I want in my current role. There's not sepecially great compensation in the Public Sector. At the end of the day, I feel that my skills could be better utilized and bring better value to another company. As far as the work. I have a passion for PC/Mainframe/Server files and large exports. Then linking several systems together for Facts and Data.
Pros
Holiday and Paid days off
Cons
Public Sector jobs, frozen pay scales, Sequestration cuts.
Enjoyed the databases and worked with limited supervision.
Administrator Assistant (TMSI Contract) (Former Employee) –  Dot, WAMay 21, 2014
My day was very productive and fast pace, enjoyed the work. Had great supervisor, that I worked very well with. My co-worker were very friendly and easy to get along with.my hardest part was leaving this assignment.
Pros
Great location for me, close to home.
Cons
Small offices
WSDOT is concerned about their image and does not support their personnel.
Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 14, 2014
WSDOT is a nationally recognized transportation agency. They incorporate new and innovative technical systems. Washington has one of the best highway systems in the country.
Our typical day consists of Tier 1, 2, and 3 support of Engineering and Adminstrative users
ITS4 (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAMarch 18, 2014
The work is varied and the group works well as a team. The hardest part of the job is the downtime we experience from time to time. the most enjoyable times consist of projects and day to day support executed seamlessly.
Pros
Team building, Brainstorming sessions and team meetings
Cons
Not very many except when we work long on a problem that needed more information
Amazing!
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 23, 2014
A typical day at work required training college students on the computers; typing; working overtime to get inspection reports of the airport done, with the senior engineers. Teaching office etiquette to student employees. The management was superb; the co-workers were like a family, we all helped each other out, even if it wasn't our department. The hardest part was leaving, I didn't want to leave, but I had to go back to college; the most enjoyable part was being able to work in an all male environment, with only 2 female secretaries who were the nicest people I have ever met, and not hearing a sound, outside of the typing of inspection reports, and the end of the day when the office came alive and engineers chatted about what their weekend or evenings entailed.
Pros
An amazing job!
Cons
Having to go home!
Management didn't manage.
Tunnel Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 2, 2014
The job itself wasn't the problem, as it was underground where it was cool and there no customers. When I had an issue with my Lead, the management didn't want to hear me out. I submitted information to management on my Lead as being aggressive and hostile, and also failing to provide any guideline whatsoever to a training plan. They responded by disciplining me - that it was my fault that he wouldn't tolerate my lack of experience or enthusiasm to being treated with contempt. They were unsuspectingly unprofessional. The rest of the staff was excellent and respectful, offering time to help me whenever it wouldn't compromise their ability to complete their tasks - and in retrospect I learned more from them than I did the Lead I worked under.
Pros
Shift times and break times were consistent, retirement and medical benefits were exceptional, no customers.
Cons
Poor management, no training plan, environment can be dangerous.
Productive and fun workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAJanuary 16, 2014
I enjoyed working here. This started as an internship, but I was compensated through local state aid. I really liked working here, and wish I could have stayed on as a permanent/full time position.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Needed full time permanent
Nice place to work
Temporary Technician II (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WADecember 27, 2013
Good people to work with. Had allot of fun and learned allot.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Stuffy people
98% Travel instalation Technician
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 10, 2013
10 hour days Mon - Thur.
Landing systems Comms Networks High/low RF Power systems
As Lead Installation Technician supervised 3-8 Technicians
Living in hotels 350 days a year
Ensuring the safety of airline travel
Pros
Loved the FAA
Cons
Travel
Great Workplace
Transportation Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 25, 2013
Enjoyed coming to work everyday and looked forward to coming back to work the next day.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No permanent job availabilities