Washington State Department of Transportation

Washington State Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Only worked as a summer temp
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WANovember 1, 2013
Typical day consisted of 90% field work on construction sites and 10% office work filing field documents.
good co-workers
Senior Leadership and Management Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  WashingtonSeptember 6, 2013
Management needs to improve, enjoyed coming to work. We made it fun
Great people and crews to work with.
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Seattle, wa.July 16, 2013
After working for King county DOT for 23 years I find it the best Roads Services in the State. No better informed employees would be found anywhere. King county is a great place for growth into management position if you have the drive.
Pros
great benifits, great hours, wounderful pay
Cons
n/a
A Great Developmental Organization
Real Estate Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 5, 2013
This position will develop your real estate skills and prepare to pursue positions with greater leadership opportunities outside the organization.
Pros
Great Benefits and Training
Cons
Limited Growth Potential into Managerial Positions
Fun, stable work environment with great people.
Storm Water Compliance Specialist / NPDES Program (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 17, 2013
A typical day at work for me is spent either in the office or in the field. In the office, I primarily monitor NPDES permit compliance. Using my own tracking system, I compile data, provide projections and contact field personnel. In the field, I conduct inspections of maintenance facilities, review stormwater best management practices and train maintenance personnel.
Everyday I learn something new. I knew nothing of stormwater and when I started I was expected to be the state's maintenance stormwater expert.
I have a great relationship with management and co-workers. I spend a lot of time with boss at the office and in the field and we have a great working relationship. My boss does a great job finding me answers, when needed, while promoting me within and outside the department.
The most enjoyable parts of my job are the co-workers, management and field work. I love to travel and while all my travel is within the state, a day in the field is always better than a day in the office.
Pros
Travel, management, co-workers, provide training, learning something new everyday, job opportunities
Cons
Cafeteria
responsible for the safe, orderly, and expeditious flow of air traffic
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 1, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is the chance to be creative. Air traffic is an ever changing problem. It allows you to think out of the box given a certain set of rules.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 15, 2012
I started the day editing the GIS roadway data on the computer by using ArcGIS Desktop 10.0. All the employees in the different sections of Washington State Department of Transportation was very polite which made the office a pleasent place to work.
Generally a positive experience
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 23, 2012
Good for obtaining varying types of engineering experience and working with different types of people.
Pros
varied work assignments
Cons
agency becoming more bureaucratic
Challenging atmosphere with a wide range of career opportunities
Transportation Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAJune 17, 2012
While employed with WSDOT I've had the opportunity to work on a variety of design and construction projects as assisting and lead Engineer. I've gained invaluable experience with large scale, multimillion dollar corridor reconstruction projects such as the I-5/SR16 Westbound and Eastbound Nalley Valley HOV projects. Additionally, I been involved from start to finish leading scoping, design, and construction contract administration; broadening my knowledge in multiple disciplines from safety improvement, landslide repair, environmental and seismic retrofit projects.
Alright to work for
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 5, 2012
State run and operated. Some of the management staff do not have the experience to do thier there job but the benefits are good.
Dot
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 31, 2012
As a contractor I've worked several DOT projects and throughly enjoyed my experience. I'd love to do more work with them because I'm in a job search mode now.
Pros
great people
Cons
heck of a commute
Federal Office working with large accounts
Office Assistant/ Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 14, 2012
Assist several departments in organizing large projects, data entry of
incoming/outgoing information, & meet deadlines. Maintain Technology Deployment’s library, phone, & email. Design and produce large technical publications, mailers, brochures, DVD’s, & public meeting displays. Maintain positive working relationships with an office of 150+ employees.
I was able to do many things in a day.
Maintenance Mechanic 1 (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 5, 2012
In the summer I mowed lawns and ditches, did guard rail repair, repaired pot holes, picked litter, trimmed trees, removed trees, delivered materials to different job sites, and in the winter I plowed snow, sanded roads, and in all seasons I drove the road warrior and set up detours, road closures, and did flagging. Everyone was helpful and friendly, and there was nothing difficult about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was I was always outside.
Pros
always something different to do.
Cons
cant think of any.