Washington State Patrol Employee Reviews

Awesome public service employer
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WASeptember 8, 2018
I love my state patrol family. We rely on teamwork and the ability to think on our feet. In dispatch we answer both 911 calls and state patrol business calls while simultaneously dispatching troopers to calls for service. The center is shift work based on day shift, swing shift, and graveyard shift. We shift bid every three months and our days off change every 28 days.

While this has worked well for myself and my family in the past, my family's needs have changed.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
shift work
Every day was a different experience and had challenges
Communications Officer I (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 27, 2018
Excitement every day, every day was different, learned new things every day. There was opportunity to grow and learn. There was always over time. The schedule will always change.
Pros
Never dull moments and every day is different and always learning something new
Cons
Shift work, lots of over time
We did not get along
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAJuly 26, 2018
I was hired into a position that became grossly apparent they had minimal need for. There was not enough work to do and yet I had to account for every minute I spent at work in their time system. You can be released from employment within your probationary period without justification.

Be productive, and not just in appearances, as laboratory staff.
It's a family
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJuly 13, 2018
It's the best agency by far that I've ever been fortunate enough to call MY agency.
Free professional training, tuition reimbursement, excellent retirement benefits.
I learned how to quickly assess any given situation, find an objective, develop a plan and quickly execute as time is not always on your side. The training provided was valuable both in my professional and private home life.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Low pay rates
Proud organization
Human Resource Consultant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 7, 2017
Loved what I did for this employer but never really felt appreciated. The employees are great but management needs some work. Somewhat hard to get used to the paramilitary aspect. Very proud and respectful of the work they do.
Good plav\ce
Trooper Cadet (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WASeptember 12, 2017
Academy was hard, but it would be with it at the end. They would have to relocate you wherever you are needed in the state. Pay and benefits are outstanding.
Stressful
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  WAMay 24, 2017
This company was stressful to work for. Workers were allowed union-required breaks, but were made to feel like they could not take them without being "shamed".
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
No real breaks
Great people to work with and work for.
Fingerprint Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 7, 2017
I only left the position due to my husbands promotion. I would still be employed there and enjoying every day. I was a Fingerprint Tech II and my job was to analyze and process fingerprints for various law enforcement agencies. All training was provided by the FBI which made it even more valuable. I learned about latent and ten print fingerprints. The workplace culture was somewhat relaxed and professional. The hardest part of the job was training. It was in-depth and satisfying. The most enjoyable part of the work was working with dedicated people and knowing that I had promotion potential.
Pros
Health benefits and retirement
Cons
Nothing significant to state
Nationally Recognized State Patrol/Police Law Enforcement Agency
Asst Division Commander (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Recognized was one of the premier law enforcement agencies in Washington State and in the nation. A highly professional and ethical department with the highest standards for integrity, humility, and training.
Excellent Employer
Trooper (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJanuary 30, 2017
Respond to calls for service, investigate collisions, traffic control, patrol traffic, investigate crimes, testify in court proceedings. Learned how the criminal justice works, management level opportunities exist. Work place culture can be hectic at times. Hardest part of the job is giving next of kin notification. most enjoyable part of the job is helping the community
Pros
Carreer oppertunitys
Cons
Breaks when oppertunity exists
The State Patrol work as a team and are close like a family. It is a excellent place of employment
Data entry, customer service (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, EashingtonJanuary 23, 2017
I really was honored when I was chosen out of several candidates that had tested for the position . They were very involved with donating to different programs. I can honestly say I was so proud to be a part of the Washington State Patrol
Promise you what they cannot deliver
Trooper Cadet (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 15, 2016
At first I was excited to be a trooper, but after a year and a half of being a trooper cadet I realized how much the State Patrol isn't a very good organization. Having a 91% overall gpa in the academy, I failed one practical and was told that I would still get to go on my coaching trip. 3 days later on the last day I was told no. They treat their cadets like trash, and if you were a mansion cadet as they call them, then you get treated like trash even if you get a commission.
A fast-paced, productivity-centered workplace.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2016
The services and efforts of the toxicologists are commendable. Management, however, does not understand how to appreciate or train support staff.

If you're a slow but thorough hands-on learner with clear, well-documented job duties (like me), this is not a good fit for you.

The chain-of-command thing makes office interaction difficult and stressful, too.
Pros
I got paid to put in 8 hours of hard work.
Cons
Trained to do two jobs by over-worked managers who didn't have time to train, Unreasonable expectations.
The Washington State Patrol requires 100% commitmment. The phone lines and command center require that there always be somene avaliable.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 3, 2016
The State Patrol Communication Officer position requires the highest level of commitment to the position and your fellow coworkers. Lives are on the line if you are not able to provided the necessary back up or tools that each Patrol unit in the tools or back up each Patrolman needs.
Pros
I enjoyed being part of a community that was larger than myself.
Cons
It was difficult not having vacations.
CompaƱerismo
Analizador de Datos y Registros 3 (Former Employee) –  Washington,March 2, 2016
Un sitio muy a gusto donde trabajar. Un dia tipico seria, encender el ordenador, organizar el correo, contestar a las cartas. Leer los email. Archivar.
La parte mas dificil mover fue las cajas pesadas llenas de documentos.
En general, todo lo que hacia en este trabajo me gustaba
Pros
buen ambiente
Cons
seguro medico privado
Security Guard 1 (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 15, 2015
Great flexibility. Ability to work with numerous outside agencies, establishing a report. Ability to see and solve criminal and other dangerous act.
Very good pay and benefits
VIN Officer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 8, 2015
Good learning experience. Very good pay and benefits. The actual work itself was enjoyable and not very difficult. The culture was difficult due to prejudices and differences in personalities. I learned a lot about how to get along with difficult people and how to do the best job possible even if the conditions were difficult.
exciting, unpredictable and at times stressful
Trooper (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 29, 2015
Contacted the public in multiple situations and showed me how to work with a variety of people from different cultures, economic status, races and religions. Enjoyed working with my co-workers and people from different agencies.
Flexible schedule, fun job, good work pace, good pay, easy job
Investigative Aide (Current Employee) –  Vancouver WAJuly 14, 2015
Very flexible job, they can pick me up anywhere or we can meet. I live close, I work with great officers and meet new people. Awesome job oveerall.
Pros
I do actual work maybe a total of 1 hour out of 6 hours, fun co-workers, always different, on edge, always learning, fast and slow paced.
Cons
Can include very long drives in a small car
Assisted Fellow employees with personal issues
Activities Host connect group (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 15, 2015
Confidential reliable source for fellow employees to go to when in need of someone to vent to or get stress off their chest. Participated in training in listening and feedback skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington State Patrol. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about