Washington State Patrol

Washington State Patrol Employee Reviews

United States42 reviews
Hit & Miss
The agency is filled with great people, but the bureaucracy is nightmarish. I worked in several branches of the agency, and found this was consistent, not just a single bad supervisor. The work can be very interesting, assuming you ever get a chance to do it before your priorities are changed. Some of this shifting priorities is due to the nature of state government, but not all of it.
Pros
Stability, good people
Cons
Bureaucratic, policy-bound
Take a ride a long and see if being a State Trooper is a life style for you!!
Excellent place for a person in law enforcement. This careerr brings a wide variety of advancement. Come join the men and women who provide excellence in public safety.
Exciting and rewarding career
I highly recommend WSP as a career choice. I enjoyed the experience and was proud to be apart of my WSP family. If anyone is looking for a career in Law enforcement, Washington State Patrol is a great place to be.
Excellent Career
Outstanding agency to work for with many opportunities to learn, assume new job responsibilities, and advance through the ranks. Strong commitment to public safety and team building.
Very toxic work environment
I was a communications officer for this agency. Being a dispatcher is stressful enough. Unfortunately, at the location I worked at... being backstabbed and not being able to express creativity on the job was a HUGE issue. Not to mention, how other dispatcher would talk about other Troopers. They would act all nice when they entered the comm center. But the moment they left, the trash talking began. Some of the other dispatchers think that they’re Troopers. It was a joke!There was only one way or the high way. CAD is a computer program. There’s more than enough routes to take to get to the same destination. The managers refused to hire more people. And there was no job-life balance.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Not recommended
Not recommended if you want a career in law enforcement. City/county would be a better option. Making a real difference in the community each and every day.
Pros
Few
Cons
Alot
Great public safety agency
The Washington State Patrol is dedicated to being the best of the best in public safety. The academy provides an immersing, comprehensive learning environment.
Service with humility
I worked for the agency for over 28 years and I am very proud of my career. I took advantage of every opportunity for additional training over the years knowing there was life after the patrol.
Premium Law Enforcement Agency
My review on WSP is detailed as following,

The work itself is rewarding because you know you are making a difference

Job Security is there because this position is Unionized
Awesome public service employer
I love my state patrol family. We rely on teamwork and the ability to think on our feet. In dispatch we answer both 911 calls and state patrol business calls while simultaneously dispatching troopers to calls for service. The center is shift work based on day shift, swing shift, and graveyard shift. We shift bid every three months and our days off change every 28 days.

While this has worked well for myself and my family in the past, my family's needs have changed.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
shift work
Every day was a different experience and had challenges
Excitement every day, every day was different, learned new things every day. There was opportunity to grow and learn. There was always over time. The schedule will always change.
Pros
Never dull moments and every day is different and always learning something new
Cons
Shift work, lots of over time
We did not get along
I was hired into a position that became grossly apparent they had minimal need for. There was not enough work to do and yet I had to account for every minute I spent at work in their time system. You can be released from employment within your probationary period without justification.

Be productive, and not just in appearances, as laboratory staff.
It's a family
It's the best agency by far that I've ever been fortunate enough to call MY agency.
Free professional training, tuition reimbursement, excellent retirement benefits.

I learned how to quickly assess any given situation, find an objective, develop a plan and quickly execute as time is not always on your side. The training provided was valuable both in my professional and private home life.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Low pay rates
Difficult job requiring teamwork and dedication
Working at the Washington State Patrol Communications Center requires dedication, teamwork, and commitment to a high level of integrity. The hardest part of the job can be the necessity of multi-tasking, problem solving, and prioritizing tasks as new ones are added to an already long list of tasks to complete in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of helping people that are calling in need of help.
Pros
Job security
Cons
short breaks, mandatory overtime, pay is low compared to salary survey of similar jobs in the area
Proud organization
Loved what I did for this employer but never really felt appreciated. The employees are great but management needs some work. Somewhat hard to get used to the paramilitary aspect. Very proud and respectful of the work they do.
Good plav\ce
Academy was hard, but it would be with it at the end. They would have to relocate you wherever you are needed in the state. Pay and benefits are outstanding.
Stressful
This company was stressful to work for. Workers were allowed union-required breaks, but were made to feel like they could not take them without being "shamed".
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
No real breaks
Great people to work with and work for.
I only left the position due to my husbands promotion. I would still be employed there and enjoying every day. I was a Fingerprint Tech II and my job was to analyze and process fingerprints for various law enforcement agencies. All training was provided by the FBI which made it even more valuable. I learned about latent and ten print fingerprints. The workplace culture was somewhat relaxed and professional. The hardest part of the job was training. It was in-depth and satisfying. The most enjoyable part of the work was working with dedicated people and knowing that I had promotion potential.
Pros
Health benefits and retirement
Cons
Nothing significant to state
Nationally Recognized State Patrol/Police Law Enforcement Agency
Recognized was one of the premier law enforcement agencies in Washington State and in the nation. A highly professional and ethical department with the highest standards for integrity, humility, and training.
Excellent Employer
Respond to calls for service, investigate collisions, traffic control, patrol traffic, investigate crimes, testify in court proceedings. Learned how the criminal justice works, management level opportunities exist. Work place culture can be hectic at times. Hardest part of the job is giving next of kin notification. most enjoyable part of the job is helping the community
Pros
Carreer oppertunitys
Cons
Breaks when oppertunity exists
The State Patrol work as a team and are close like a family. It is a excellent place of employment
I really was honored when I was chosen out of several candidates that had tested for the position . They were very involved with donating to different programs. I can honestly say I was so proud to be a part of the Washington State Patrol
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington State Patrol. Our community is ready to answer.