Washington University in St. Louis Employee Reviews

Good place to work at if you enjoy an office setting
Data Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 13, 2019
Enjoyed working alongside people with different roles. Definitely not a software office since there is only about one or two developers. Got a chance to do a lot of data mining and analysis.
Productive and collaborative workplace
Administrative Assistant, Regional Programs (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 12, 2019
A typical day includes managing my autonomous schedule and accomplishing a specific set of tasks pertaining to certain events I am coordinating. It's enjoyable because it's a good challenge, and I work with great people. It can be difficult at times, but it's worth it, and I have learned a lot through the easier times and the harder times.
Could be great but bad manager
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 11, 2019
Hopefully you are lucky enough to have a better manager than I did. She did not care about accuracy of data and just wanted the job done. We were in research! When I would question the integrity of activities I felt like I was in the dog house and was scared for my job. She lead a very divided team where CRA and Coordinators were not allowed to talk to each other without her looking down on coordinators for it. Everyone else at WASH U seemed to love it so much. I was in OBGYN research. Hopefully she is no longer there. Worst job I ever had.
Pros
worked for prestigious institute
Cons
stress, inability to speak up for myself, work life balance. parking
Only medical assistant for the doctor.
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 30, 2019
It was a fast pace place to work. I am the only medical assistant for the doctor. We do not have nurses, so I have to triage. Great benefits 22 vacation days a year is a plus.
Chairman Research (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2019
GOOD, you can do lots of useful things as you want per day and talk with your supervisor anytime you want, he would help you as he can but sometimes there is nothing he can do
Competitive academic environment
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2019
Washington University is a competitive and prestigious research university, with all the pros and cons that that entails. The institutional culture is rather impersonal and corporate, so it is hard for me to imagine feeling a strong sense of personal investment in the goals of the institution as such. However, the financial and institutional support for research and scholarship are stronger than at many institutions.
Work and life balance
Instructor in Medicine (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2019
Diversity campus. Friendly working environment. Stable jobs. Very good benefits. Normal pay comparing with other local universities. Expanding quickly in recent years.
Refereeing was a great experience.
Referee (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2019
Getting to meet so many new people while being in charge of something that allows these dedicated students to get a break from their long0winded studies was a great experience.
Horrible. Especially Mangement...
Medical Records Clerk Ortho (Former Employee) –  Med SchoolJanuary 10, 2019
Mangement is Horrible in Med Records..Lead person Will Not train you... Turn over rate High....Not a good department. Was there less than 6weeks. Mangement only go by what lead say.
Very Relexed
Referee/Umpire (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 7, 2019
Provided ability to pick times you worked and was very easy to switch shifts with other people. Supervisors were very friendly and willing to help whenever needed
excellent benefits
Senior Protocol Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63110January 4, 2019
excellent benefits package, academic atmosphere, highly political atmosphere, provided many opportunities for advancement, university college classes available.
Access Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 1, 2019
I've worked at Wash U my whole career. There's ample opportunity to move up and improve your career if you want it. You have to make the connections and put in the time to advance, but it absolutely can be done. The benefits are amazing, but the pay is a little low.
productive and fun
Student Dispute Resolution Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 21, 2018
learned a lot from this job, and made a lot of friends here, also it was a good opportunity for international students to learn how to communicate and also good job to practice lawyer communication skills.
great reputation, poor treatment of employees
Expedited Review Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MODecember 6, 2018
My experience at Washington University is that is very political and hard work and dedication are hardly recognized by management in some departments.
great place
Appeal Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 4, 2018
Management is there if you need them their door is always open. They treat you like an adult you know what you are suppose to do they do not watch over you
Pros
holiday party
Cons
universities require a certain temperament
Duties as IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 2, 2018
While the day-to-day may prove to be business as usual, I see the politics and funding driving business decisions. The university seems to not have a business plan, which makes technology decisions very challenging. The university pacing of technology is also not by industry standards, but by low priority funding. I recommend an expectation of waiting and status quo for technology roles.
Decent environment to work in
Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 23, 2018
Wash U is a great place to work; however, it is extremely "top (management) heavy" which means lots of egos that have to be fed. There are lots of senior level managers that will quickly take credit for your hard work. As long as you keep your head down, If you're the type of person that comes to work and gets your job done, you will be golden and your kids will get to go to school for free.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No recognition for hard work.
Do Not Recommend
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2018
They are not the family-oriented work/life balance employer they want the public to believe them to be. They do not promote from within and retaliate against employees who complain.
good employer
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2018
good employer
good environment
good management
good training
good workplace culture
perfect place to make good friends
the most enjoyable part of the job is you can do good science
Large Academic campus
tech (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 18, 2018
governed and managed fiscally conservative. Work environment is flexible. The tuition reimbursement benefit is quite lucrative, as well as generous 403b matching. That being said, Wash U will pay you less on average. and they are very hesitant on "cleaning the swamp" of employees not meeting the mission of the organization. Cultivating job advancement is non-existent
Pros
autonomy
Cons
no cultivation for job growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington University in St. Louis. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight