Washington University in St. Louis

Washington University in St. Louis Employee Reviews

United States652 reviews
The work environment in the Molecular Microbiology Department on the Medical School campus is very strong, offering opportunities to learn through seminars and online courses, and the social aspects are equally enjoyable. There is something happening every week.
Cons
Small Salary Increases
Overall, WUSTL is a fantastic research environment with a large network that fuels collaboration. Only issue involves the long day and extraordinary expectations held for most staff.
Very traditional “follow the chain of command” culture. Managers that have been there for years will try to “block” new people from succeeding if they feel threatened
Toxic
Pros
Prestigious Name
Cons
Understaffed departments that are consistently behind
WashU is an awesome place to work. You can get know some great individuals, there is room for growth and the benefits package is top notch. But the management is poor, at best. The supervisor is an angry, loud, overbearing micromanager than has a Napoleon complex. His boss lacks a backbone and doesn’t know how to make a decision on the fly. Efficient work flows is a lewd phrase there as anything that seems like it’s gonna make the job easier is frowned upon. I am thankful for the experience, but I’m will never work in that particular department ever again
Pros
Benefits, coworkers.
Cons
Inefficient management, micromanaging
Students can choose whatever hours they want. It is a rewarding experience, but it can be difficult to navigate the teaching process when their mentees are not interested in the subject.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Overall great company to
Work for with great benefits and employee perks, however many managers do not have trust in employees and do not ask employees questions when situations arise. Jump right to you being wrong and possible termination
Pros
Vacation, pay, benefits, ability to advance
Cons
Zero trust in employees
Enjoyed my time here, would recommend it to anyone. I taught lots of great students who were highly motivated. My colleagues were very supportive and friendly.
I all depends on who you work for and with. I worked with good people but on a bad project. You might get lucky but I did not enjoy my time at Washington u.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Very unpredictable culture
good repairs smart friendly helpful clean neat organized waited
tired locked the door bright lights

heathy wearing masks

response not talk much

fold everything

put different colors

order products by phone

smile at people

use your manners
The benefits are amazing. The work I did was not exactly challenging or stimulating (except for the Excel).
The pay is slightly higher than the regional pay.
From the benifits to the opportunities are really outstanding. Being able to work with people from around the world is amazing. Just to be able to help others better understand , develop,
practice science and medicine along with great pay , job training and being a part of a winning team is the very best place to work , the staff and management are very kind and helpful which make for a very exciting place to work and retire from
My manager is not supportive and is very sneaky. She says one thing to her supervisor and the opposite to the employees. The upper management needs to be evaluated department managers more Thoroughly and consistently.
Pros
Leave time accumulation is great
Cons
Deception by managers
need better managment work would be done and they still complain. after a long overnight they come with other work after we finish the list they gave us
Great job,ok management the parking is not very good. I learned how to code in the ER department . Great Hospital, great doctors, decent staff members .
Worst place ever! Supervisors listen to gossip instead of actual facts. They will write you up to keep employees from transferring out of the department. Another fact is they will bring friends, and relatives into the department making more money then you do with no experience. The best perk of WashU is the free college given they allow you to attend.
I Worked hard at Washington university we were always busy and had to do multiple jobs at a time to get the job done in a timely matter. I would also sort mail for deliveries and have to arrange it in a delivery sequence.
* racist and unfair treatment
* according to ethnicity, low pay for the amount of work.

* high stress

* poor management skills (once told in a meeting by the head ” mgmt is family) basically meaning they have each others back”. so the deep issues will always exist. very segregated dept.

* unhealthy environment

* lack of care

* favoritism

(HR DOES NOT CARE, MANY COMPLAINTS MADE WITH NO CHANGES TO DATE)
I loved working here. I would go back in a heart beat but I needed a little more money for my family and WashU, unfortunately, couldn't give what I needed. Their hours are amazing, the benefits are OUTSTANDING, and I would recommend this job to anyone!
Challenging environment
Availability of training

Great benefits

Talented team

Teamwork

Flexible schedule

Possibility for advancement

Ability to learn new skill set on a regular basis
I tutor students in multivariable calculus once a week. The time is very flexible and the management of work hours are very organized. I like taking new concepts and applying them in ways that are easy for students to learn.
Pros
breaks, time flexibility
Cons
WashU is one of the best universities in the nation. Good vision for its progress and programs. Benefits are a mixed bag, but salaries tend to be higher than other private universities.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington University in St. Louis. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Washington University in St. Louis Reviews by Location