Washington University in St. Louis Employee Reviews

A Good Seventeen Years
Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Department of SurgeryOctober 26, 2018
A typical day at work was engaging. We were a full service IT org with limited resources so we all wore many hats. I liked that because of the breadth of experience I acquired. Management at that time was good, focused, caring. I left the University in 2017 and a merger/consolidation also began at that time so I can't justly speak to the current management. All things considered I really enjoyed my employment at WU, but if I had to find anything that might be characterized as being "the hardest part of the job", I would have to say it was dealing with the occasional upset client who felt their issue required immediate attention, which often seemed to occur in the middle of the night or weekends. I always tried my best to resolve their issue as promptly as possible.
The work and my colleagues with were the best part of the job.
Pros
Work environment, benefits
Ortho
Patient Service Rep II (Orthopedic Surgery) (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOOctober 22, 2018
Management expected you to work long hours and they felt they were excluded from covering employees since they’re on salary. If you aren’t a big shot, trust me- they’d make it known. From admins to the specialists, if you weren’t them, your job is less important. Orthopedic department is full of snakes and people tearing others down to try to put themselves on top. Less teamwork, felt more like high school. On a positive note, the association with Wash U is very respected in public and the benefits are like none other.
Pros
Great benefits, great company to be associated with
Cons
Longer hours, poor management
Not the best Company
Clinical Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 18, 2018
Overall, there could be major improvements with this company, such as organization and being more professional. Also, the patients are not important to this company, some patients have not seen the doctors in months. It is horrible talking to a patient about a doctor canceling their appointments or changing the times. Additionally, People need to be trained for the job you are wanting them to do. It is rather sad, when the boss cannot do the employees job, but wants to give critiques on how they can do better. I would say that this company is has dealt with racism and entitled individuals. If you are African American, then good luck with being advanced in the department and being heard. I wished that it would have been better, but everything is a lesson.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Professionalism
Great educational environment
Senior Research Technician (Former Employee) –  PEDSJuly 31, 2018
Research positions at Washington University Medical School have ample opportunities for various fields. Tuition reimbursement allows one to increase knowledge or attain further degree. Very collegiate atmosphere with friendly and knowledgeable faculty and staff and latest research innovations. Free MetroLink Pass is a bonus to save gas and parking fees. 401 contributions are matched with increasing percentage based on years worked. Many other opportunities and Benefits. Great place to work for recent graduates or more experienced personnel. Highly recommend WUSM as a place to work and learn
Pros
Many opportunities to learn and meet people
Cons
Location is downtown so heavy traffic during rush hour sometimes
Decent environment to work in
Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 23, 2018
Wash U is a great place to work; however, it is extremely "top (management) heavy" which means lots of egos that have to be fed. There are lots of senior level managers that will quickly take credit for your hard work. As long as you keep your head down, If you're the type of person that comes to work and gets your job done, you will be golden and your kids will get to go to school for free.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No recognition for hard work.
Up and down on a daily
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 28, 2018
Communication lacks within the office. Theres sadly drama everywhere you go and you never know who you can trust. Your not often appreciated for your hard work or the wrong person gets your credit. Busting your butt is over looked and the lazy get by with everything. There is quiet bullies which is also over looked or somehow unseen. Id give anything to be in management to squash out that kind of thing in a office however as a medical assistant you do all the hard work as a nurse does but its never good enough so you will mever advance it seems.
Benefits
Cons
Communication Bullies Drama lack of advancing
Great Place to work!
PRE-CERTIFICATION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 9, 2018
Great benefits, flexibility for work life.
I would love to stay here and move up in the organization! The benefits alone are worth staying for. There should be more opportunities to advance.
WU is very political.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 9, 2018
Upper Management is very political. They only care about making money and constructing new buildings. The pay is terrible, compared to similar positions at other companies. The benefits are great, that is about it.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Great employee benefits
Insurance Billing & Collection Asst. II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2018
Washington University offers great benefits to their employees. Advancement opportunities for minorities could be more inclusive and available but are not. Currently, the diversity and inclusion group within HR are working to level the playing field for equal opportunities.
Great pace to work with excellent benefits and chance for advancement
Professional Rater III (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 21, 2018
Worked independently with flexible hours. Principle investigator gave me all of the tools I needed to do my job effectively. Benefits started immediately.
Pros
Great benefits, hours and chance for advncement
Cons
Had to pay too much for parking, especially since they owned the parking lots. Felt it should have been part of our benefits
Great benefits
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2018
A great place to work with many benefits for employees and their families. Great advancement opportunities and health and tuition reimbursement programs.
Wash U
Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 10, 2018
Awesome pay and benefits. Get to work with some amazing educated people. School/tutition beneifts are great. Definetley an academic setting. One of the better employers in my opinion.
Work Environment
Patient Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 28, 2018
Washington University have a more diverse campus than workforce on advancement opportunities. The benefits for as education and vacation is great. The process of advancement is at slow pace on not what you know but who you know. The diversity is not explore on the employee workforce side.
Pros
Great vacation
Cons
Lack of flexibility and pay
Great job
Pre-cert Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 4, 2018
I love working at wash u ! Great hours. Great benefits. love my co-workers. I work in a very fast paced environment so it makes the day go by fast. I like how green the university is.
Benefits are great
Medical Secretary III (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 14, 2018
Benefits are great. I enjoy the perks of working at Washington University. Especially since I have a kid about the age where when she graduates she will get a full or partial ride to her college career.
Bad Experience
Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 16, 2018
Having worked here in two different positions at the Medical School, I can say that each experience is individual and somewhat depends on your immediate supervisor and coworkers. My first experience was great: good management, productive work, pleasant coworkers. My second was worse: problems with my immediate supervisor, long hours spent on work of questionable value, isolated coworkers.
There is no predicting these things during an interview, so you take your chances.
Both instances had some shared pros and cons, listed below.
Pros
free public transit (MetroPass), good benefits
Cons
bad pay compared with similar jobs in industry
Great Benefits
Ophthalmic Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 11, 2018
If it weren't for the benefits I don't think I would've stayed this long. However, they do a very good job at training you on the EMR system. Plus, the clinical manager is very nice.
Pros
Great Benefits, Decent Pay
Cons
Horrible Higher Up Management
WashU
Certified Medical Assistant III (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 13, 2018
Fast pace clinic setting
EPIC EMR
Opportunity to grow in many different areas
Outstanding benefits
4 weeks of paid vacation a year
Diverse
benefits
Cons
employees pay roughly $100 to park each month
Fun workplace with great mission
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 4, 2018
Pros: great management, benefits, job perks, great coworkers, flexibility

Cons: not as many opportunities for advancement, limited ability to earn additional pay
Culture varies
specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 7, 2018
Your experience working with WashU is solely determined by the department where you work. Different departments have different cultures, dress codes, business hours, review policies, values, etc.
Pros
education benefit
Cons
salary, opportunities for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington University in St. Louis. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight