Washington University in St. Louis Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Washington University was an excellent place to work.
Administrative Assistant to Chairman and R.N. (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 17, 2018
A typical day there was to meet with other staff members and management to determine goals and objectives that needed to be met. Also included was completing computer projects on an ongoing basis. I learned a lot about the medical field there, and how to work with the employees to accomplish the goals that needed to be completed. Management was very helpful in learning, setting goals, and accomplishing them. The workplace culture was very quick paced, and working with high level co-workers was challenging. The hardest part of the job was meeting all requirements that needed to be done, and establishing good priorities in the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the goals on a timely basis.
Pros
Working with others, learning about the medical field, and establishing good working relations.
Cons
The quick pace was difficult to keep up with, the high level of operation was challenging, and management had very high expectations.
Benefits are great
Medical Secretary III (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 14, 2018
Benefits are great. I enjoy the perks of working at Washington University. Especially since I have a kid about the age where when she graduates she will get a full or partial ride to her college career.
WashU
Certified Medical Assistant III (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 13, 2018
Fast pace clinic setting
EPIC EMR
Opportunity to grow in many different areas
Outstanding benefits
4 weeks of paid vacation a year
Diverse
benefits
Cons
employees pay roughly $100 to park each month
Fun Workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 11, 2018
I worked at Washington University Social System Design Lab in Hillman on the 3rd floor. I got to say working there was probably one of my favorite place to work.
Feels great to help patients
MyChart Support Staff (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 8, 2018
It was a pleasure to help patients overcome what for many would be a scary technical hurdle--signing up for an online portal to see their medical records. Ultimately this will help patients by giving them ready access to all their test results in one place. It will also help the doctor's office staff save time and improve patient communications by reducing incoming calls in favor of secure emails and online scheduling.
Do not go to peds.
PATIENT BILLING SERVICE REP II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 5, 2018
You will be stuck there forever. Unprofessional, liers. HR does not help you at all. If you work hard for them they fire you. Management will lie on you to cover thire butt.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Working at Washington University
Precertification Coordinator -Infusion/Medication (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 3, 2018
I personally enjoy working for Washington University. There are a lot of great opportunities with this Organization. Your days at Wash U can vary. Some days it can be relaxed and others may be stressful, but it's very rewarding at the end of the day when you know you have helped the patients we serve.
great place to work for low pay
Scientist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 29, 2018
The research branch of the University is intellectually stimulating and rewarding by itself and the university has a very encouraging environment for academic and research excellence. However, the pay scale is nowhere to match the amount and quality of work one puts in.
Not much room for upward mobility
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 23, 2018
Unless you know the right people or come in at the right time, you get stuck in your position. Work is rewarding to help students but little appreciation from upper management.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Repetitive
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 21, 2018
I was a postdoctoral research fellow for 5 years. The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs had great career development programming. There is an opportunity to gain management consulting experience by joining BALSA, a perk I wish I had taken advantage of earlier.
Administrative Coordinator position
Emergency Medicine Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 19, 2018
Every day is different within the Division. WashU provides great resources to employees from career development to healthcare. I learned how to process payroll for incentives, credentialing and privileging, and scheduling.
Cons
Tuition reimbursement is very restrictive to certain programs
Workplace Culture
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 14, 2018
Academics is a difficult workplace. Washington University strictly adheres to policies and principals for all staff level positions. However, faculty level positions are not held to any standards of conduct making managing/working in such an atmosphere most challenging.
Good work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 13, 2018
The TA position I held gave me a whole lot of freedom. I was allowed to choose my hours and determine when I wanted to work and when I did not want to work.
Great Benefits
Ophthalmic Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 11, 2018
If it weren't for the benefits I don't think I would've stayed this long. However, they do a very good job at training you on the EMR system. Plus, the clinical manager is very nice.
Pros
Great Benefits, Decent Pay
Cons
Horrible Higher Up Management
work study
Audio-visual Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 6, 2018
This was fine - we were flexible for work study hours - the other classmates and I were easy to work with, were able to easily collaborate on a schedule that worked.
Poised for success
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 6, 2018
Excellent place for postdoctoral development. I learned a lot working here and made some lifelong contacts. Robust scientific research program with great faculty.
Fun workplace with great mission
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 4, 2018
Pros: great management, benefits, job perks, great coworkers, flexibility

Cons: not as many opportunities for advancement, limited ability to earn additional pay
A very good place to work.
Facilities Tech III / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63110June 3, 2018
Respond to customer requests & resolve the situation as quickly as possible.
A lot! Plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling, ventilation, refrigeration, & air handlers.
Management was usually fair.
Fair workplace culture.
Balancing all of the requests could get a bit difficult at times.
There were a lot of skilled workers that you could discuss & learn things with.
Great place to work!
Credentialed Epic Trainer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 29, 2018
Great place to work! I would recommend working here, there is a lot of longevity. There are great benefits for full time employees, especially for their dependents.
Up and down on a daily
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 28, 2018
Communication lacks within the office. Theres sadly drama everywhere you go and you never know who you can trust. Your not often appreciated for your hard work or the wrong person gets your credit. Busting your butt is over looked and the lazy get by with everything. There is quiet bullies which is also over looked or somehow unseen. Id give anything to be in management to squash out that kind of thing in a office however as a medical assistant you do all the hard work as a nurse does but its never good enough so you will mever advance it seems.
Benefits
Cons
Communication Bullies Drama lack of advancing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Washington University in St. Louis. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss