Washoe County School District Employee Reviews

Fun Job
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVSeptember 14, 2018
I joined WCSD back in November of 2017 and it was a great decision the people are friendly and most of the management is very helpful. I’m so glad I found this now I have a career that I can retire from eventually
Pros
Kids, driving a big bus with flashing red lights that can stop traffic
Cons
Long periods of the summer with no work
Great part time experience
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 17, 2018
As a substitute teacher I was able to make my own hours, work as little or as much as I wanted. Pay was not great, but I loved the flexibility, the work place variety, and the professional growth it provided me. If I were to choose to teach my own class one day, I can honestly say that substitute teaching forced me to develop excellent classroom management skills.
Rewarding place to work
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 31, 2018
Helping children with special needs is very rewarding and Exiting. Not much place to move up in higher position unless you have degree or higher. I give the Washoe school district 5 stars for overall great place to work.
Pros
Raisies
Cons
Not enough hours a week.
Family Literacy Programs were very effective.
Family Literacy Instruction (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 30, 2018
I worked for Washoe County in this position over 15 years ago. I can not render an accurate review of the School District as it would not longer be representative of what the School District is like today.
Great place to start a career.
Elementary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJuly 13, 2018
You will love the area, the sports outside the school district. The school system is top notch. I highly recommend this effective school district and all of the professionals there.
Difficult to walk in as an older applicant
Teacher's Aide II SPED (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 11, 2018
Trying to figure out what the last person was doing with the students was very difficult and there was help but for short periods of time and with multiple mentors. The pay doesn't out weigh the stress and liabilities that go with a teaching certificate.
An administrative heavy district that is supported by a weak teacher union.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 3, 2018
School district is administrative heavy and policies are confusing and conflicting. Makes it hard to just teach the kids. Extra hours to attend meetings when off contract is an expectation above and beyond what is a realistic to manage your own job responsibilities. There is a teacher union but it feels weak in this right to work state.
Pros
teach students
Cons
administrative policies that are conflicting.
Hard but Rewarding Work- Terrible Pay/Benefits
Special Education Aide III (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 26, 2018
Being a Special Ed Aide is rewarding and fun if you have the right student(s). I work with developmentally disabled kids, and they can be super fun and interesting but they can also be violent and difficult. I've worked for some really good teachers and administrators. Many administrators won't acknowledge it when they have a bad teacher on their hands- they don't want to be bothered. So if you get a bad teacher you're on your own a lot of the time. The pay is REALLY horrible and you don't get medical benefits. As a result the turnover is really high. The WCSD really needs to be pressured into providing medical for aides. Most of the time I like my job- I think I make life better for my students and I've learned a lot of patience and compassion.
Cons
No medical and the pay is REALLY low.
Kindergarten Class
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 12, 2018
Getting the 2 classes ready. Set up daily centers for morning and afternoon. Filed students papers in their folders. Made any necessary copies for classes and prep for art projects.Would be in charge of a small group for math and literacy. I love to work with the students. Always kept me alert. Difficult part was students acting out and not being able to get control.
Pros
art projects
Cons
not enough hours and no benefits
Great
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 5, 2018
The staff are really nice you have freedom with the kids and you get really high pay considering what most jobs go for these days. I rec it to anyone who enjoys kids
Pros
nice people
Cons
no benefits

Want to know more about Washoe County School District?

Ask a question
Great Job
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 6, 2018
love my job. good benefits.great people. If you just want to work pt. it's excellent. I have to say though if you want full time, it would not be a good fit.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
to much time off through the year
Poor Place to Work
Clerical Aide (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 3, 2018
They don't value their people. Pay teachers little and work them a lot. Value management only. Only worked their for a short time but didn't like it. Culture is broken.
Pros
Was a temporary job
Cons
Always cutting staff
Teacher Assistant @ WCSD
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NV 89523May 2, 2018
WCSD is a great place to work and grow
They make you feel like family and the environment there is great and can't be beat,
It was a very positive experience for me
Pros
Cons
pay isn't always great
This assignment began as a Student Intern.
Substitute Educator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 21, 2018
This was basically an on call situation, with the exception of a few long term assignments at the same school and in the same class.
This was to fill in for the F/T hired teacher who was either on leave, illness time off or vacation.
Pros
Experience working with the students.
Cons
Not full time.
Fun working environment
Family Graduation Advocate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 16, 2018
My experience has been good. It is a fun working environment and I feel well supported from my supervisors and other staff members. I wake up every day looking forward to work.
Per Diem job
Licensed Substitute School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 12, 2018
Each day is different as a substitute teacher. You pick your assignments from a website and go back to those schools that treat you well or have good support systems in place.
Challenging, fast-paced, collaborative
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVApril 11, 2018
I enjoyed working with the teens. Everyday was different. I learned a lot from the other staff members, and enjoyed the collaborative efforts made at the school to serve the students.
Pros
Lots of time off, challenging and important work
Cons
No benefits or paid holidays
management
Assistant Manager of Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 27, 2018
My management was excellent, a co-worked excellent teacher . she make the jobs easy and the day go faster working with her, the sad i need left Reno to move Florida.
Cons
Enjoyable and productive work place.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 13, 2018
Office duties in an Elementary School environment. All employees that I interacted with were very cordial and enthusiast about helping the children. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children and being able to help them with questions and concerns about their school work.
Teacher assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 10, 2018
Great place to work with children with supportive staff and rewarding challenges. Enjoyable work environment while working on a school schedule to allow vacation time.