Waste Connections Employee Reviews

Good if your in the right place
Dispatch Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowie, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Great company and wonderful benefits. Some of the management needs serious attention! overall I would say it is not a bad place to work at all, just have to learn to deal with the stupid
Great Work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 16, 2018
Great management great coworkers & excellent dispatch office for both drivers & customers. Supervisors go extra length to make sure coworkers are safe and attend to them on days when weather may be challenging. Bringing waters to drivers & ready to assit with chains on tires for snow type conditions.
Pros
Great pace great communication
Great company
Call Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 15, 2018
I must say my experience with this company was excellent. I enjoyed the safety culture with them and although the work life balance is challenging, they made up for it.

Advancement is difficult because no one leaves.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Work/life balance
n/a
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Duncan, OKSeptember 10, 2018
I personaly llived working there at first until you make one mistake then they act like you owe them something because they didn't fire you or you got rehired.
Place was a joke
Equipment Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXSeptember 7, 2018
This place was a joke starting with management. Not good with communication they talk to you any kind of way not caring who's listening. Just worried about managers bonus
Friendly work place
Lead operator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 4, 2018
I like working at waste connections it was a secure job and a friendly atmosphere to work in it was close to my home the office lady’s where really helpful
Pros
Flexible with the work schedule
Cons
The smell
Fun place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fremont, NEAugust 29, 2018
Lots of hours no home time to spend with family or friends want go home till the trucks ate fixed for the next day to many hours of work no home time .
Cons
No time for family
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 25, 2018
Good atmosphere to work in. Many opportunities for advancement. I really enjoyed working in the operations department, working with 150 drivers was very challenging but rewarding. Wci has great appreciation events for the employees. The was the hardest part of the job, as it was not a competitive wage at that time.
Pros
Advancement, benefits
Cons
Wages
A typical day
Semi Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 24, 2018
Typical day is driving 8 hours. sitting in traffic. workplace culture was great driving a truck. However Lemay sold out to Waste Connections and waste connections is a large company. No longer a family owned business so the culture changed from a caring company to a corporate disaster
Pros
Christmas Party
Cons
Traffic
Only worried about the upper management
Manager (Former Employee) –  McGregor, TXAugust 20, 2018
Upside down pyramid is a false narrative on how they see employees. Not worried about service. Not worried about employees in the field providing service to customers. They preach safety, but equipment is a joke.
Huge devide
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
This company preaches "Work Hard Play Harder" and they are very proud of the culture. Unfortunately, since the Progressive merger the culture is gone and the "Play Harder" has turned into "work hard work harder"

Micromanagement is an understatement. Be prepared to play the politics game and if you end up under a young manager be ready to put up with the bad decisions and immaturity that comes along with it.

The upper management is afraid to retire as they don't have replacements that are able to replace them.

You can not move up in this company without relocating and you do not get any input as to where they send you.
Pros
Great place to cut your teeth fresh out of school.
Cons
Poor pay, constant change in direction, poor leadership, micromanagement, over priced service, deceptive business practices.
productive place to work
Government Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2018
Overall satisfaction with the company. Good group of knowledgeable professionals. Pleasant work atmosphere contributes to the overall satisfaction rating...….
Great Career Starter
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 23, 2018
This is a company on the rise. As a territory manager, the company offers the ability to learn basic selling and contract negotiation skills along with the ability the be promoted from within the company.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, vacation, company direction
Cons
Too many gray areas in commission payout.
Relax and fast pace work place
TRASH COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJuly 21, 2018
Typical day: Fast pace working on the routes.
What I learned: Well I had learn how to operate the equipment on the trash truck.
Management: Excellent management.
Workplace culture: Relax, chill workplace.
The hardest part of the job: Was truck hopper when it's the summer time, been extremely hot and getting over heated.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Was in the truck or riding on the back feeling the wind breeze.
Pros
Free lunch, ect.
Cons
Short breaks, ect.
Great company
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJuly 19, 2018
Company is by far the leader in Waste industry. Waste Connections was the best place to work and gave me the tools I need to be successful in my future endeavors.
Pros
Job advancement and great work place envirmonet for growth.
Cons
As they grow, they struggle with keeping their values and people intact.
Nine dollars
Helper (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 19, 2018
Enough money for that. The management over there is messed up at everything else is cool. If I had another chance to work there probably I will accept it.
Pros
Not
Great job
Waste Management (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, KYJuly 18, 2018
It is a good job but not enough hours but over all a really good job just looking more for a career than a job thats were I have some types of struggles there there are all kind of jobs and not enough careers
I’ve driven for Waste Connections for over 2 years
Truck Driver Class B CDL (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 17, 2018
A typical work day for me would be waking up and arriving at 5am to work. On average, I’d usually leave work around 3pm. The driving itself isn’t a challenge since I’m very determined because I have two sons who I am sending to school. Personally, i am confident in my driving because I’ve driven roughly 5760 hours for waste connections (this is a conservative estimate). During my time working there, I never really struggled with the tasks I was given whether it be extra work hours or a trip to different city.
Pros
Healthcare, healthy work environment, manageable hours
Cons
No appreciation for office team. Terrible office manager
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAJuly 13, 2018
If you carefully read job description they tell you being in the call center is a high stress job, who wants that? Customer Service means follow up but no time for that here, never fully staffed! No appreciation for office staff who take the brunt of it for the company! Continuously running out of garbage carts and parts to support customers needs, on back order for months with customer. Then a cluster getting them all delivered! Many fell through the cracks and new neighbors would get them while others wait months! Not to mention $ 15.00 start here but elsewhere $ 16.00 start. If they would follow the proceedures passed out to employees that would be nice.
Pros
Free trash service if you are living in a home
Could be better but for management.
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brookings, ORJuly 12, 2018
Working for Waste Connections was not the easiest place. The office manager instills work drama and pits employees against each other. It was stressful working there not knowing if you would get a secret shopper call or not. While I worked there every time we had an office staff meeting we heard nothing but negative.
Pros
Free garbage service
Cons
Office Drama.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.1Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight