Waste Connections Employee Reviews

I would not recommend anyone working there
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rapid City sdNovember 6, 2018
I would not recommend anyone going to work there the management in the shop is very bad and if you don't fit in with the group they will get you fired they
Pros
The pay
Cons
Cut throat place to work management in shop sucks
Great work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clearwater flNovember 5, 2018
Great work experience team players and great company,easy going,friendly,room for advanment,have classes for employees to know there job title and goals
Pros
Good routes and good pay
Cons
Waste Connections is Great!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAOctober 28, 2018
I really liked working for Waste Connections. There was a very good commendatory and family dynamic. It was one of the best places to work. I would recommend it.
Customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOOctober 26, 2018
Typical work day... you show up, answer the phone and provide customer service. No pressure to sell anything, just being nice on the phone and making sure you've helped the customer. It's a very family-like environment so yes there are a lot of laughs but at the same we grind to get work done. Management from top to bottom are awesome and very accommodating to an employees needs. From day 1 everyone has been nice and upfront with me about the job and the expectations. There is room for advancement if you apply yourself and show interest... I have 0 complaints and plan on staying as long as they keep.
Pros
excellent pay, friendly employees, reasonable and flexible management
Cons
havent experienced any as of yet
zdv
Diesel Mechanic Technician (Former Employee) –  Duson, LAOctober 25, 2018
was a horrible place to work, have people working on trucks that do not know how to use a multi meter. Whenever I noticed that i was teaching more than I was working, I thought I should ask for a raise. They just swept my request under the rug as if i never asked.
Great Company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 25, 2018
I have worked for Waste Connections for over 10 years. I started as a customer service representative, went to collections and am now the Office Manager over customer service and collections! We work hard and play hard! I feel valued by our management team and think that my team as a whole feels the same way.
Hiring ad and salaries need to be truthful
Potential driver that walked away after interview (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLOctober 24, 2018
Took 2 weeks to come in for an interview after multiple attempts for a callback from local branch. I was under the impression pay was $17 a hour + overtime to drive the truck but after a 45 minute interview the very last minute they tell you you will be a helper hanging off the back of a rear loader manually throwing trash for 3-9 years before being promoted only making roughly $11 per hour with no overtime pay working 50-55 hours per week or per diem $125 per day basically grossing $600 per week for a very labor intensive job. I applied for a driver position but they tell you everybody starts from the bottom. I have no issues with the company but wish they were more straight forward in there hiring ads explaining pay and you will be a rear loader helper. So I am under the impression going in I'll be making roughly $1000 a week to drive a truck not getting nasty with my cdl working 55 hours per week but instead its $600 gross per week getting nasty hanging off the back of a truck to manual labor. Just be honest, that's all I'm saying. Dont bait us and switch us at the end, that is unfair
Pros
Nothing, can make more at fast food or anywhere doing alot less unless u wanna get buff and gross
Cons
the environment was bullish and cut throat
Customer Service Representative/Collections (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 22, 2018
if your looking for true advancement this is not the place. the workplace culture is smoking mirrors meaning they say one thing but do another. i dont recommend the customer service job for anyone over the age of 35
Not a good place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAOctober 21, 2018
Management is not strict enough in certain areas. Older worn out trucks with mechanics who don't maintain the equipment. Hoppers are hired through a third party which are mostly felons. One supervisor in particular was oblivious to anyone or anything that didn't benefit him.
Poor place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Iowa Park, TX,Yakima,waOctober 16, 2018
They say that they take care of there employee they dont i have work for 2 of there companies both the same they dont care about employees only that the trash gets dumped i have a screw in my finger thanks to this company and the company scared me from filing lni if i was u i would stay away from them
Pros
Cons
Alot
not recommended
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 11, 2018
Trucks always broke down. VERY long hours. Inconsistent work schedule. Pay is not fair. Supervisors are constantly quitting. Routes are unevenly matched.
Welcoming & Room to Grow
CREDIT/ COLLECTIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 9, 2018
I really loved working for Waste Connections. My boss was really great and supportive in all aspects. The company really cared for the employees & their needs. They also gave nice incentives to keep employees motivated.
Cons
pay could be better
great place to work
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Duson, LAOctober 9, 2018
it is a great environment to work in. Also has great benefits such as 401K, and health insurance. very family oriented. Safety is the number 1 goal.
Great Corporate Structure.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 8, 2018
Great management and opportunity for advancement. Pay level on par for industry. Long hours but working as a team seemed to make a hard job fun. Taking care of your staff and customers in a fast paced environment.
Sales
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLOctober 8, 2018
Planning day to day every morning

Working alongside customer service

Alot of work on your own without a ton of guidance or help available to train you properly
Very Productive Place
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLOctober 5, 2018
Waste Connections is a great place to work the benefits are great, the drivers work together to get the job done.Its a very relaxed place to be.There's no pressure.
Do Not Waste Your Time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 4, 2018
This company pays about $2/hour LESS than the average competitive local hourly wage for customer service representatives. In addition, at this location, be prepared to work on your own 1-3 days every week as your counter part will be calling in sick at least that much every week. Training is disorganized and rushed. You will be thrown out on your own with no help answering calls since the other rep is sick. Although you are new and bust your butt, management will have NO positive remarks or feedback to provide, even if you ACE their quality standards. They are also not interested in enforcing fair policy for all employees, instead allowing seasoned employees to miss as much work as they wish, come in late consistently, and treat less-liked employees poorly, even though it is completely unprofessional. A LOT of gossiping and bullying is easy to notice among office staff. Your counter parts are excused completely in treating new employees rudely in speech and behavior, given carte blanche in being aggressively territorial and throwing their weight around. They are free to dishonestly present the new employee in a negative way to management, and management will believe them without actually investigating. In addition, micromanaging at this location goes BEYOND your usual definition of micromanaging. You will be given 60 minute talks over something you were told to tell customers by veteran employees, which is ridiculous. You can get 100's on call reviews and that is completely disregarded and instead, management will find a way to tear that down as well. There is no praise, positive  more... reinforcement, or even a passing "good job", so dont expect it. They treat employees like property and have no interest in building a solid, positive rapport or business relationship. They expect quadruple excellence from you in strutting your stuff, but do not believe they also need to provide the same in return. If you don't mind constantly taking the blame, being overly micromanaged to the point of misery, doing more than your fair share of work while others get free passes, not being believed or able to defend yourself, given no support, going through a rushed, incomplete training period, being talked down to and disrespected even though you were by yourself and on your own because of other's attendance issues, being paid far less than you are worth (especially if you bring any experience to the table), if you don't care about integrity, fairness, objectivity, or equality, and you don't mind being treated very poorly by colleagues and management, then this is the place for you. If you realize that the majority of companies do not have these types of issues and that most professional environments do not operate this way, in addition to most companies actually being competitive with wages, then this is NOT the place for you. If you are desperate, give it a shot. In the long run, save yourself the time and effort. I left without giving notice and I have never done that in all my 20 years in the professional world.  less
Pros
Dispatcher and Dispatch Assistant helpful and nice, Easy Work
Cons
Location Management Attitude/Behavior/Philosophy and Direct Colleague's Poor Treatment of newbies
poor company
Maintenance / yardman (Current Employee) –  Placerville, CASeptember 27, 2018
if you have disability you don't get nay opportunity
you can't move up in the company because of your disability

I have been a long time employee
It was a good place to work
Roll-off Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 26, 2018
I enjoyed working there and like the people. There were many things I loved about working there and a few I didn’t like. My job was very stressful and I felt I worked very hard and would have liked more pay.
Pros
Company outings and parties were great
Cons
A lot of times we were understaffed so I was over worked a lot.
Not a bad place to work
Rear Load Driver (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 26, 2018
Waste Connection is not a bad place to work for they do take care of there employees, they cook out and show how much they appreciate the work we do for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight