WATCO COMPANIES Employee Reviews

great
Self-employed, Owner-operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 22, 2019
Great place to work and friendly a great company and a very nice management team that help drivers job easier than normal. I'm very comfortable working there.
Pros
Opportunity
Positive work place
Switchman (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXFebruary 13, 2019
Company benefits are very good for their team members. Secure Job, always a needed company after all it is the railroad.Teamwork, opportunities to advance, positive work environment
Pros
7 days off each month
Cons
Shift Schedule. Working Days/Nights
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ghent, KYFebruary 11, 2019
Good place to work if you can deal with stress and depends on the job you have. Equipment isnt the best but usable. Management seems to care but can become sketchy at times. All in all not a bad place for the pay.
Hope all shops close down
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Cudahy, WIJanuary 26, 2019
MGR is a joke,HR is the biggest problem with watco, they don't want to hear what the problems are, because they would have to report them then upper management which would show there the problem!!!
the best thing that can happen is the close all there shops!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Challenging but rewarding,with good pay and benefits.
Oil unloader (Former Employee) –  Pecos, TXJanuary 22, 2019
Very good company to work for.Good management,and good pay.I think the training was very detailed,and safety was a top priority at watco.Also we had good equipment to work with and they would praise our work every day.
Pros
Good pay, friendly bosses
Cons
Great job if you currently have no life
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WIJanuary 19, 2019
As a training conductor to be, you will work mostly every week day out of this terminal. In all weather conditions. I'm from Wisconsin and that is really no big deal. I love being outside.The people are the problem. From the people teaching you, to on the job training, and HR people.

My trainer verbally abused me daily, and threatened my life on numerous occasions. He was always begging for an excuse to "take me out". I had reported him to HR but was told that is very unlike him, and that he had trained other people in the past to become conductors and they all failed. Sounds like somebody shouldn't be allowed to train others if every student of his has failed to pass conductor training. Might be a waste of resources. But what do i know, i only quit the best paying job i ever had because i feared for my life every day i came to work because i had to work with a complete nut job.

I also had some ahole alcoholic student tell the trainmaster in Madison on me because i was looking at the locomotive parked outside the depot, which i replied to him by saying the colors looked kinda cool on it. I was labelled as a foamer, which i also had no idea what that was until i googled it. From day one, all anybody ever tried to do was stab me in the back to get me labeled and fired. I jumped ship sooner than later. An extremely toxic environment.

Also, if you've quit your job or resigned from here they will never rehire you back.

Stay for the work, leave because of the people. My advice is to not apply. A company that is always looking for workers means they treat there employees
  more... like a revolving door. This is one of those companies.  less
Pros
The pay is descent
Cons
The people are toxic, put under the guise of fear that somebody is always watching you and you can be fired for anything.
Very poor team atmosphere
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAJanuary 18, 2019
I have worked here for almost 1 year, in that years time I have seen 2 plant managers, I work with 5 guys outside. 2 of the guys hardly do anything other than get people in trouble and smoke. The one guy stabbed the old lead guy in back so his buddy could get job. This guy is safety hazard comes in smelling of alcohol and sets and brags about how he got guys fired and how he gets high and cheats drug test. HR was told and they did nothing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Heavy work load
Horrible Management
Fleet Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2019
Management lacks integrity and job stability is non existent. Company would post your position and threat to release you for following protocol. I do not recommend working at the Cleveland branch.
Pros
No longer employed by this company
Layed back atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wellston, OKDecember 5, 2018
Managers was good to the Team Members. You're not called an employee you are a TEAM MEMBER you are treated with respect. Just do your job stay busy everything will be goodf
Loved working at Watco
ADMIN ASSISTANT LEGAL/RISK MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSDecember 4, 2018
I loved working at Watco. I would recommend getting hired into the Watco family to anyone. They have great benefits and employee recognition. Overall just a great company to work for.
Wonderful company, wonderful employees, overall great place to be employeed!
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSNovember 8, 2018
Working at Watco companies allowed me to be flexible with my hours, considering I was in school as well. The environment is overall uplifting & motivates you to succeed. Watco has been one of the best jobs I’ve had!
not good thay suck
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 5, 2018
giting lade off no worning thay don't care we don't care it is not that good place to be at all wood not tell no one to go there ever if you know what I mean.
Watco Companies
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMNovember 5, 2018
Watco Companies was a wonderful company to work for and it's unfortunate that they are closing their doors. The management and team members were a wonderful group to work with and I have enjoys my time with them.
Pros
Safety lunches
Many days off, Terrible Management
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Green River, WYOctober 30, 2018
Management is not terrible in the sense that they don't work with you, but its very hard to use your vacation if you need to or to find coverage for the days off that you need. If management does not have to be at the office, then they are not there. Benefits are great, 401 is okay, etc
Poor managment top to bottom no quality assurance.
Valve Technician (Former Employee) –  Scottsville txOctober 17, 2018
Lack of leadership, poor managers and leads receive no punishment even when given proof of short commings on the job i.e. leaving shop all day with no leadership pressence with new people on the floor, sleeping under cars, not providing proper training. No quality control, processes not followed impacts used to tighten valves on gaskets torque sequences not followed all to finish cars on time. If auditors really knew what went on here they would take there equipment to someone else. STAY AWAY the money isnt worth prison time for cutting corners on this job.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Management and everything else
Really loved this place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 13, 2018
I really loved working for Watco. It is a layedback kinda job but work itself gets a little busy at times but not a 24/7 rush. The employees are amazing and so is the managment. The only reason I left is because we relocated and it was to far for me to drive back and forth
Great Place
Blaster/Painter (Former Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GAOctober 6, 2018
Watco was the first place to teach me how to become a man. The work team that I was working with inside the blast shop was excellent we always about one another.
Lots of hours
Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Rupert, IDSeptember 24, 2018
When I worked there management was terrible. They micromanaged crews all the time they were always adding to the work load which made it really tough and hard to be happy. But overall it paid well just lots of hours
Great Place
General Manager (Current Employee) –  TXSeptember 21, 2018
Great Place to work with lots of advancement if your willing to put in the hard work to build your team up. Highly recommended. Great team work with lots of reward at the end.
Safe and productive work place
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARSeptember 19, 2018
Watco is the best industrial job I’ve had I’d recommend anybody who desire industrial work to give them a try first, they’re great with creating opportunities and preparing you for a life time career

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WATCO COMPANIES. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.1InHerSight Score

1.2Personal Development

1.0Career Opportunities

1.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight