WATCO COMPANIES Employee Reviews

Great Company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMAugust 3, 2018
Working with Watco has been the highlight of my professional career. During my time with the Company, Watco has proven to be a progressive, safety oriented, and equal opportunity employer. For advancement, Watco looks to promote from within and each team member is given every opportunity to progress and succeed. The training at my location is frequent, thorough, and very useful as it is specific to on-site service. The Management team truly cares about the team members and makes every effort to demonstrate that their health and safety is the number 1 priority. I have also met upper management on to site visits and they are caring, skilled, and great leaders as well. I only have great things to say about this Company.
Pros
Great corporate culture, great pay, great benefits
Not enough training, starting pay is terrible, management isnt very good
CMO (Former Employee) –  Green River, WYJune 22, 2018
Not a very comfortable place to work, office is old and falling down not to mention that the mice are part owners of it. No shop or lean to-to work under so working in the elements and heat isn't an option. Equipment is old and is constantly needing attention. Basically no training what so ever, its pretty much learn on your own or drown. Not impressed at all in the location managers and their secrecy about every thing. On call 24/7 with no compensation for weekends that you don't get called but must stay close in case something happens. Change in anything at the location is very hard. No company vehicles or buses to ride for the commute.
Company only cares about the bottom line
Transportion Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2018
I worked for the Dallas office of this company for 2 months. The manager left for vacation telling me what a wonderful job I was doing, only on the day he came back from vacation and fired me with absolutely no warning at all. Told me numbers were low, even though I was still training. Training was a joke. It was like giving someone on the street a medical manual, putting them in a surgery room, and telling them to remove this man heart. Combined with the incestuous office atmosphere, the typical sleasy salesman lying mentality, and the overall cheapness of the office, (I had to supply my own office supplies), I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Always something new
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2018
Very busy, always something new, wear jeans, lots of Excel data entry Process and coordinate daily requests for customer transactions. Complete paperwork for customer load requests. Maintain customer spreadsheets and generate reports. Track product volume for individual customer, per product type. Communicate with customers as needed, providing information, answering questions and responding to emails. Working with and creating spreadsheets per customer needs.
questionable integrity
Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2018
Management is a tight knit group and does what they want, regardless of "what may be right". This may not be true for all management at Watco, but it was true for the people I interacted with. HR didn't respond to my complaints or concerns.
Company Shut Down
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Midland, PAMay 1, 2018
Work was mostly done outside in the weather. Plant was closed. Employees were all laid off. Little effort was made to accommodate relocation or other job opportunities.
My location is amazing.
Conductor/Switchman/Car Repairman (Current Employee) –  Arlington, ORApril 24, 2018
My location in Arlington, OR is amazing.

I have been here for a little over a year, and it's been the best time in my civilian life.

Everything about it; my General Manager, my Supervisor, my coworkers, the relationship to the community, the relationship with our customer. Everything works for the best here. I relate that to the management. They keep us humble, celebrate the good with us, doesn't blame or ridicule us fit the bad days, and gives us all the credit.

The higher executives are just as good. They are giving me opportunities to expand my career. They, asking with the local management, are making my family and I very opportunistic for the future. It's an amazing feeling.

I'm aware not every location is like this, but this company cares about you. That's what is important.
Pros
Local and executive management, benefits, time off, work schedule, career expansion
Cons
Work hard but you are rewarded for it.
We have fun activity Thanksgiving cook out .
Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Cahokia, ILApril 16, 2018
Very good place to work if you like working with people. Learn everything you can it’s common knowledge . Always put your people first . The benefits are amazing . The more you learn the better you’re off in the world . Education going to school it’s a big plus if you like to move up The management position. People are The asset .watco Treats us Like family’s . Easy to work for .
Great employer with high earning potential without a college degree
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Great Bend, KSApril 4, 2018
Great place to work. Management was easy to work for. The company is strong and growing, and has opportunities all over the United States (and in other parts of the world). The hours are long and the work can be hard, but if you don't have a college degree this is probably one of the best companies you could work for. I was a conductor on my way to becoming an engineer on a train crew.
Pros
Retirement, Co-Workers
Cons
Long Days, Not much Time for Family
Would recommend to anyone
Revenue Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSApril 3, 2018
I worked as an intern during a time of many changes. I believe that the company has worked to better itself. I really enjoyed my time at Watco. My supervisor and manager were great people who taught instead of belittling. They fostered a fun environment while encouraging hard work by example. The company throws a big Employee appreciation picnic during the summer for all the families. Definitely a family friendly company. I think I was paid fairly as an intern, but heard that full time employees were dissatisfied with their salaries. That may have changed by now.
Pros
family friendly
very poor management
Transloader (Current Employee) –  Tioga, NDMarch 31, 2018
poor communication and very poor management.
terminal manager cares more of his bonus than he does his employees. Many people are leaving this terminal because of management.
Pros
vacation, health benefits
Cons
management
Fired with no warning
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 20, 2018
I was a temp worker. I picked up on all I had to do in two days(easy). But they said I didn't staple the paperwork right.. WHAT? REALLY? UNBELIEVABLE!
Pros
Very laid back
Cons
Did'nt have the balls to tell me not to come back. Had my temp agency call me when I got off.
Good Job; Very Poor Management
Switchman Operator (Former Employee) –  Galena Park, TXMarch 16, 2018
I had been terminated from Watco on June 22-2016 for alleged conduct. I told new supervisor since we had no trains so I told the supervisor in Track Maintenance about the disrespect and arrogance shown from 4 coworkers, I had no problems with GCBR .
Too be surprised on being terminated hurts deeply as I have a newborn and a wife to support for.
Pros
Great Co-workers Good Hours
Cons
Very Poor Management
Good Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wellington, UT 84542February 25, 2018
Very busy, always something new, wear jeans, lots of Excel data entry Process and coordinate daily requests for customer transactions. Complete Bill of Lading paperwork for customer load requests. Maintain customer spreadsheets and generate reports. Track product volume for individual customer, per product type (frac sand, inbound and outbound oil loads). Communicate with customers as needed, providing information, answering questions and responding to emails. Working with and creating spreadsheets per customer needs
Pros
wages
Cons
hours long shifts
it was good untill they join GB company
sandblatster (Former Employee) –  Hockley, TXFebruary 21, 2018
I work for then only a year because they join the other company so don't have much to say a this it was good pay good time and every thing but I didn't work too long with them
Great job, poor management
ATM / Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Wright, WYJanuary 30, 2018
I love working for Watco although the management at my location was seriously lacking. They did not take the time to help you grow only dictated what they wanted.
Pros
mostly fast paced and challenging
Cons
rotating mine schedule
March 8, 2018

I am sorry to hear you did not receive coaching & mentoring at your location. Our recruiting team is always available for contact to discuss career growth opportunities & create a plan of succession for our Team Members. Always remember there are multiple sources to reach out to when you are having any kind of concern!
Best of luck to you!

poor management
Car repair (Former Employee) –  Alabama warriorJanuary 29, 2018
This is the worst place in the state of Alabama. Safety takes a backseat on a daily basis. The location manager has no knowledge of safety is. Don’t work here
Pros
Cons
all of the above
March 8, 2018

I'm sorry to hear this. At Watco we do center our culture around safety, customer service, and always doing the right thing. Were you able to communicate your concerns to your HR representative? We are always available to our team members to discuss issues or concerns. Please be sure to reach out for assistance when there is any kind of issue. We hope to help in anyway we possibly can.

fast paced and productive and saftey first
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Refugio, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I've been with Watco going on seven years. I would recommend this company to anyone. They truly care for their employees and their families. I have became a better employee because of Watco. This company offers many advancements. I started out as an operator, then to a lead and now a supervisor. I am truly blessed to have a great job!
Pros
great pay, great management, during natural disasters employess were taking care of
March 8, 2018

Thank you for your comments! This is a prime example of how we operate here at Watco. Developing our Team Members and creating that career growth is something we strive for! I am over joyed to hear of your success within Watco Companies & want to congratulate you for your hard work! This company would not be successful without hard working, driven, and dedicated Team Members like yourself. So thank you so much for everything you do!
Have a great day,

its an ok place to work
Terminal Operator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 2, 2018
its and old dock that need a lot of up keeping, it really need a lot of money put in to it, the work is not very hard but it is physical . you up and down a lot, heavy lifting.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
equipment is poor.
March 8, 2018

We strive to keep locations up to safety code. If there are issues with any location please feel free to reach out to your HR representative to inform them of your concerns. We are here to support our Team in any way we possibly can.

Good job overall
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARDecember 4, 2017
I enjoyed working at watco. I would like to continue working there, but I was hired through a temp agency. The overall environment was a good place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WATCO COMPANIES. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.1

1.2Personal Development

1.0Career Opportunities

1.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight