Waterway Carwash Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Featured review
Waterway Carwash selected this as a representative review
My favorite job
Line Employee (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOFebruary 22, 2018
I had so much fun working for waterway. It was fast paced, you got to be outside, and in a fun team environment. The customers were friendly and working for tips was great.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Bad weather
Line Employee (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, MOJuly 11, 2018
fun work place with enjoyable co-workers but lacks in financial gain and room for advancement through the company. Hardest part of the job is the weather conditions you are forced to work in.
Great job for quick cash, but tips rapidly decreasing
Line Associate (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COMay 23, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company and enjoyed the cashflow as well. However, recently they greatly increased their prices for carwashes, so tips above $1-2 became very rare, to the point it became obvious to nearly everyone working there that this was not worth it.
Exhausting
Line Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 12, 2018
Working in 100 degree heat for 8 hours straight without a break was brutal. Management had little to no care about how you were doing. One of my first shifts I had heat exhaustion, and was very nauseous and exhausted. The manager working that shift was mad about letting me go inside to the cooler to cool off. If your employee is literally getting sick from all the work they are doing, you should give them a break. We never had mandatory breaks (which is illegal), you had to ask for a break if you wanted one and sometimes you would be denied because it was too busy, even if you've been working for 6 hours straight already. This was my first job, and it left a very bad taste in my mouth. A lot of the customers were also very pretentious and rude because of the area that I worked in
Pros
Tips
Cons
no breaks, weather, customers
Laid back , Fun, and easy going People
Line Associate (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COApril 30, 2018
It is a fun place to work at but sometimes it would become very stressful in the summer because of the amount of people that would show up. the hardest part of this job is that you have to complete 10 to 12 cars in one hour and there is a specific routine that you have to follow when cleaning the cars. It becomes enjoyable when you compete with your co workers and make a joke out of it. Overall , everyone is chill and easy going.
Pros
30 minute break
Cons
Too many cars
Waterway Experoence
Line Associate (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSApril 17, 2018
Well working for Waterway had its ups and downs but it was a overall great experience for me. I had the opportunity to engage with customers was a lot of fun and the energy that each employee gave made the job experience better.
Pros
They will work with your sceduele
Cons
Coming in on your off day.
Fun employees and management
Line Associate (Current Employee) –  Pepper Pike, OHApril 16, 2018
A typical day at Waterway involves cleaning cars inside and out and helping close shop later. I learned how much really goes into cleaning a car. The managers are a lot of fun and very understanding, while keeping employees in check at the same time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers because sometimes they can get pretty upset. The most enjoyable part is interacting with customers, and getting to know other employees.
Pros
tips
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced, fun working environment.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 15, 2018
Working at water way will improve mostly all main skills you need for a job in the future. It is very competitive yet can be relaxing depending on how fast or slow you like your work environment.
Fast Paced Outdoor Environment
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 14, 2018
Starting out you will learn the basics and work towards becoming driver certified after 50 hours of work. You will clean cars, inside and out with one other team member and split the tip. Rainy days you do clean up work for $3.50 or $4 an hour and usually get sent home 2-4 hours later. Always bring a lunch box (no breaks) and water or refillable bottle.
Pros
Usually flexible with you, fun co workers and customers, tuition reimbursement, free wash with paychecks, being outdoors, good tips
Cons
No breaks, make up shifts you scheduled off, better bring "doctors note" if you're sick, some team members don't pull their weight or don't listen to managers, work in extreme cold or extreme heat
the waterway experience
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOApril 13, 2018
waterway is a fast paced work environment. You work through all of winter, spring, summer, and fall. Washing cars all day, you begin to find a rhythm. learning the act of making sure the cars come out spotless has followed me. the hardest thing work there is achieving the costumers likeness.
Pros
wash personal cars for free, tips
Cons
No breaks, low pay
Productive and fun work place.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 19, 2018
Great place to work.
Management is great.
Doing scheduling is the best part.
Learned how to deal with unhappy customers.
Typical day at work is busy non stop dealing with people and cleaning cars.
Cons
No breaks
They do not pay an accurate salary to its employees , which is at a rate of 3.50 an hour! High prices of wash cause customers not to tip.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, OHJanuary 21, 2018
Management from top (corporate) to bottom (store level managers) are unprofessional and do not have best intentions for employees, if you are to work at this job you must accept the fact that they will change your scheldue with ought notice regularly, work in harsh conditions depending on your area, and constant price increases drive customers away and affect line employees bottom dollar because people stop tipping assuming that a company charging 35+ for a whole thing pays their employees more the 3.50 an hour, the “10-20” dollars an hour that is listed is including tips that you very frequently will not get.
Pros
Alwyas have cash
Cons
Consistent pay (weather), consistent hours, poor management, not correct pay
I enjoyed the environment with the other emoployees, but the management is very corrupt.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJanuary 16, 2018
I wouldn't suggest any one else to work for this company. I had a lot of fun there but didn't receive any raises or benefits and worked overtime and didn't get any compensation for it.
Pros
Every check you get a free car wash
Cons
No other health benefits, discounts or bonuses
Was a great job until change in management
Senior Line Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2018
At the end of my 6 years at WaterWay they internally promoted a regional manager who would go around to store and scream at employees in front of customers on the lot. It was the only reason I left but I would not recommend anyone to work at any of the Denver Waterways because of this.
Great place to work. If you work as a line associate you have to like working outside in the fast-paced environment
Line Associate (Current Employee) –  Pepper Pike, OHDecember 10, 2017
Great company to work for, nice people but you have to work really hard to make good money. It's an outside job all year round. If you don't like being outside when it's 90 degrees don't work there. If you don't like being outside when it's 20 degrees and snowing don't work there. If you like making $100 everyday when it's cold perfect job for you I would recommend in if you're a college student it's pretty good money it's easy if you don't complain and you focus on your work. They have good managers and Pepper Pike.
Pros
Free car washes, Good management, flexible hours.
Cons
Bad weather equals slow days and bad pay.
GREAT place to work for anyone who needs MGMT Experience
Senior General Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 30, 2017
I came to Waterway looking to get Management experience. I'm still here and loving it 16 years later. The people at all levels are great. Working outside in a fast-paced environment is not for everyone, but I really liked it. I think I'm pretty good when it comes to customer service and that's what it's all about at Waterway. Pay is quite a bit above average for both MGMT and Hourly positions. I highly recommend working here as hourly during high school or college and then jump into the Manager Training Program after graduation for some of the best MGR Experience you can get.
Pros
Clean ride, great pay, terrific co-workers, transparent Manager Training Program
Cons
Working outside isn't for everyone, HQ customer service isn't for everyone, Being tan on 28% of body isn't for everyone
eh
Line employee/ Service consultant (Current Employee) –  Town and Country, MO 63017November 19, 2017
Its a carwash you work you earn you go home nothing special. if you dont clean cars you wont earn money so you have to work hard to make money or you go home with nothing
It was a job. Nothing more nothing less
Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MONovember 16, 2017
It was an okay job, the people there is the reasoning for myself staying so long even though as an employee I was unhappy there. There are a few good managers but the GM is not GM material.
It's pretty great.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 15, 2017
The tips are great. There are a lot of people with foul mouths, which can get REALLY annoying. They give you basically unlimited free car washes. You can break pretty much whenever you want.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, breaks anytime
Really great place to work
Senior Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 27, 2017
Waterway id a great place to learn work ethic and work-life balance. As a cashier one must perform regular gas station/ car wash cashing duties, but also sell memberships. This is a great way to learn how basic sales works. The carwashers do hard work outside and the work environment is fun. On slow days they can be sent home early or called in on busy days. The tips are generally good and Waterway is very good about working with students schedules. There are many employees who have summer jobs held for them at waterway and when the school year is over they go right back to work.
Pros
Fun, nice people, honest work, decent hours
Cons
sales pressure for cashiers, no scheduled breaks
Can discuss during interview
Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOAugust 3, 2017
Line Attendant
Primary role was to wash the cars coming through the line thoroughly and quickly. Was awarded
employee of the month which was very competitive.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Didnt provide enough hours