WAUSAU SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Great leadership!
Library Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 25, 2019
I really would recommend WSD to any potential employee. They have amazing staff and offer room to grow as well as professional development. My son attends 4K here and I am also impressed by WSD as a parent.
Pros
Great staff
A great place to work and grow your career.
Director of Human Resources & Employee Relations (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIDecember 20, 2018
A great place to work and grow your career - whether you are an educator, an administrator, in a support role such as maintenance/custodial, buildings & grounds, food service, clerical/administrative support, or para-professional working with students. Competitive wages, great benefits, and great work environment.
All good, but low pay for support positions
Year round support (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 6, 2018
Management here is great, work environment is good, culture is good, the organization is purpose driven, but I do wish their pay scales for support staff was better. The yearly board approved increases often don't keep up with inflation, you get zero vacation until July 1 (so if you start mid July- no vacation for a year!) You only get prorated vacation in July 1 for the previous year (so for almost 2 years, it's slim pickens!). They do wonderfully for their other staff, but even year round support staff (37.5 hours a week) are compensated much differently than their regular, 40 hour a week staff. There are some people that have worked this for 20 years...but the new hires, who tend to have higher education levels, leave for greener pastures.
Pros
Good environment, ethical, true to mission
Cons
low pay
Student focused, good place to work
Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WI 54403September 6, 2018
Most days I would arrive around 7:00 am and get ready for the day and check my calendar for meetings. I would be ready for class to start, teach classes, meet with DECA students, and meet with the AD to see if any additional officials help was needed. Depending on the day I would leave between 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm on average.

Management was good depending on who you were dealing with. They were usually supportive, but would be somewhat reactionary in situations.

Great people to work with, it was an extended family environment. Most people had your back.

The students usually were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers, good benefits
Cons
It was a good place to work. I learned a lot and made steady advancements
Head Building Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMay 21, 2018
I found working for the Wausau School District to be a very positive experience and presented to me opportunities to advance, which I took advantage of. At the time the work environment encouraged me to learn, to apply myself and to advance when possible. Managers were demanding but also helpful. I was able to get to where I took ownership of my work environment. To be able to work largely independently and to also supervise and manage. It was a joy to work with the educational staff and students on a daily basis. The benefits were a very welcome thing to have. Being able to stay home when sick without losing pay was a great stress reliever. And accumulating more vacation days as my employment continued was another positive. Having union representation was also a positive.
Pros
Positive work environment. Able to advance. To learn. Union representation.
Cons
Turn over of top management. Budget restrictions.
Management problems
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 9, 2018
I was let go through problems with my supervisor and the schedule including the schools. I was supposed to be there at one time and actually the school changed the times without telling me before I can get there. I was dealing with bad neighbors, and medical problems
positive energy, love and concern for each student.
Music Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 6, 2018
I loved my job as an elementary music teacher in the Wausau School District. I just wish I were strong enough physically to still be there .

There is training, weekly meetings, updates via email and announcements and the opportunity for personal growth for each teacher.
We had a great team
Nutrition Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 4, 2018
Working with children was great . Trying to get them interested in different foods was fun. My boss was a dream to work with. We made a great team. It was sad when I had to move.
Wausau School District
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMarch 5, 2018
I enjoyed working with my colleagues at WSD. I met great people and learned various skills - help desk, hardware support and general tech support. Overall, good place to start.
Pros
Great colleagues and lots of hardware to work with
Cons
High health insurance premium, only school year work, no advancement opportunities, management looks down on you
something new
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 18, 2017
This was a great place to work. Allowing me to have the flexible to pick up my child from school and gain new training and skills with children in the academic workforce.
Horrible experience with the Wausau School District
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 13, 2017
Highly unprofessional practices on a managerial level, from building-level principals to central office administration. My building was quite toxic--leadership was beyond bad and, pitting staff members against one another.
Everyone can work as a team.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mosinee, WIMarch 30, 2016
Children were typically compliant and followed all rules. It was fun working with them. The art projects were enjoyable.
Pros
Snacktime
Cons
Short snacktime
ELL Paraprofessional
ELL Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 10, 2016
Typical day walking the students in when the bell rings in the morning. Bathroom/snack breaks. Help assist with math and art. Recess/lunch duty. At the end of the school day take students out for parent pick up. What I learned about being a paraprofessional for elementary students is you must have patience with the students. Management is great the principal really works with you and always makes time to assist you when you are having a difficult time handling a situation with a student. Co-Workers are great and easy to get along with. There is nothing hard with the job just a bit frustrated sometimes you feel like there is no time to breathe because your brain is running around all day. The most enjoyable part is when you are making a difference in a child's life.
Cons
Healthcare cost too much for what we make
N/a
Library Media & Technology Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  District LibrariesNovember 9, 2015
The Wausau School District has been a great place for me to learn and realize my potential. While there are numerous budgetary constraints that hinder true success for its staff members and students; for the most part, all staff members work together diligently to provide the best education for the students who attend schools in the Wausau School District.
Good
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJune 8, 2015
Everyone is compassionate in their work, of the students and of each other. It is a close nit group that I have the privilege of getting to know. The students always puts a smile on your face and yet loves to challenge you in their growth.
The hardest part of this job.
Food Service Manager/ Custodial Sub (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 29, 2015
The hardest part of this job was when there wasnt a group who required lunch I wouldnt work. I would work as a sub for custodian but wasnt always guaranteed I would have a place to work.
Fun workplace!
Substitute Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIFebruary 3, 2015
Really enjoy management! Always something new every day! Love working with the teachers in the district and the wonderful kids!
Worked with children and teaching staff.
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJune 19, 2014
Worked with children and staff. Responsible for playground and lunch room duty.

Learned alot about children.

Loved working with the children, very therapeutic!

Enjoyed the teachers, very appreciative.

Rewarding to know that I could make a positive impact on the childrens lives.
Pros
Working with children.
Cons
Playground duty, especially in winter.
Loved working around teachers, children, the general public.
Building and Grounds Head Maintenance Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 18, 2013
Great place to work, to advance, to enjoy doing things I enjoyed. Always something new when working around children. Pride in helping the educational process. Loved working around the building, maintaining, repairing, cleaning, setting up for different activities. Great staff to work with, always plenty of treats too. The responsibility was also great. I enjoyed being able to manage other workers, taking responsibility for the condition of the school. Also took to heart the concerns over safety, making the school a great, safe place for everyone.
Pros
Responsibiity, freedom, variety, new building, staff, students, parents.
Cons
Shoveling snow, salting, sanding, winter.
Productive, fun work place
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 2, 2013
A typical day at work would be starting in the cafeteria where all the students and workers would get a snack and meet, then we would break up to our groups and go into our rooms to help students work.
Pros
Flexible, snacks, friendly co workers
Cons
Not enough hours