Waymo

Working at Waymo: 33 Reviews

United States33 reviews

Interesting and challenging work

I have currently worked as a direct hire for about three years, I worked as a TVC before that (temp, vendor, contractor). The people are decent, I have not worked with or for anyone who is overly difficult. I like the work, there is a lot of it and the work is very challenging. The pace is fast and most of the time I am trying to juggle several issues at once, I multitask here more than any other job I've had, and I've had a lot of them, working mostly as a contractor over the course of my career, not necessarily by choice mind you. There are opportunities to advance if someone high up really likes you or if you're a Stanford, MIT, or similar grad. Or, if you have a PhD in something they really need, you can get hired on at a very high level. As for me, I have worked my tail off for years but I was "rewarded" by being put into a lower job classification than I deserve. While I am aware of a lot of people being promoted, some multiple times, that is not the case for me. To be fair, my education does not perfecly align with the job I am doing but I still completed three university degrees, which no one at my company cares about whatsoever. So, to summarize, if you have a GREAT undergraduate education, an ABET type or Computer Science degree, from a top university, you could get hired and most likely will be appreciated. If you do not have a top school education or if your degree does not completely align with the role you are trying for, you won't get into the company at all. I was only hired due to ideal timing. After working 18 months as a contractor I received a better job -

Pros

Free food if on campus. Better direct hire total compensation than I've had anywhere else.

Cons

ZERO chance of advancement for many, even if being a high performer.

Stay away or leave as soon as you can.

This place is nothing short of your A-typical workplace you’d imagine. Management is sleeping with employees, those employees get special treatment and higher roles. You’re treated like nothing more than a small part of a large machine. Your sole purpose in to provide data for the business and that’s it. It doesn’t matter if you’re sick, tired, a family member died, you’re pregnant, come in and work, and give us the data we need. This place will rob you of your work like balance. This is a great place to work if you’re in a worst case scenario and need cash to hold you over. If at all possible, avoid waymo at all costs. Don’t sell your soul for a few more dimes. They provide you free unhealthy snacks, candy and monster energy drinks to stay awake, shut up and do your job. Very unhappy place to be.

Pros

Starting pay

Cons

Healthcare, management, amenities, peers, culture, work like balance.

Waymo insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Burn out central

As a site coordinator this job is terrible. We are understaffed, overworked and burnt out. They keep pushing new directives on us without any training and just expect to figure it out. I can understand a job being fluid but this goes beyond that. This position is the same as one they're trying to phase out but for 6$ less per hour and less predictably. They pile new tasks on us and we have to beg for the tools to accomplish them. At least the coworkers are supportive. We all live in the misery together. But my mental health has never been worse. I've begged for transfers for other departments but even then the problems are similar. I'm ready to claw my way out of here

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, 40 hour weeks

Cons

Nonflexible schedule, high stress, they push you till you burn out, nonconsistant procedures, minimal communications between contracted company branches, miserable company culture

We want your life!!

Okay first off this will probably be the most challenging position you have ever had. Not from a work or task stand point but from parking to just finding s seat in the work area is difficult. Then the work itself is so boring a d unstimulating it is hardly tolerable. Very little human interaction. If you are some sort of hermit or recluse you could possibly enjoy working at a place like this. I would certainly explore my options before going to this place. Use it as a last resort only!!!

Pros

Lazy work environment if you like that. And you'll get a paycheck.

Cons

Micromanaged and horrible work life balance. Unhealthy snacks, no windows in the building, bad parking, inept management, no real opportunity, lots of eye on you, boring, no mental stimulation shall I go on?

Surprisingly bad corporate culture

Good vibe but surprisingly bad general atmosphere in working environment. With a hard nut to crack, people either hold on to this as a good job to pay bills or people with egos bigger than their capability.

Pros

Free food

Cons

the coworkers

Great company, good pay, amazing benefits!

I've worked at Waymo for over 4 years and plan to be here for a long time. The culture is great and I also enjoy the fast paced nature of working at a startup.

Cutting edge technology. Talented and collaborative Team. Having Fun!

I transferred over from Google (11 years). Waymo has many of the great things about Google (Lots of talented/friendly people, working on projects that really impact the world in positive ways, and free food), but also has more of a startup vibe. Things are very dynamic and move quickly with smaller teams and less red tape.

Edge Case Workplace

Waymo was a fun and exciting place to work. The technology they are working on toward L4 driverless is remarkable and being a part of that was very energizing. I found the work fun but the hours long and rather grueling.

Pros

Free Food, Paid holidays, Tied in with Google/Alphabet

Cons

High Pressure, Reactive to Social Media, Too Left-leaning

No opportunities available.

If you are a contractor they will not give you a chance to become a permanent employee. Google only wants seasoned workers. It is very hard to get a job with Waymo, Google.

Fun workplace and always on the road.

Work environment is good. You are always on the road which can become a bit tedious. They only promote based on seniority not from work performance. Great perks - free food and gym.

Stay away from this company

The first thing that came out of the trainers mouth at 7 am day one was "we are a very pc culture" which, as a silicon valley company is not surprising. What is surprising is how anyone is afraid to say anything to offend people, so its clique there. Management, aside from a couple, couldn't tell what time it was looking at a digital watch. It's all about the miles. The only time miles dont matter is a time that never comes. Employees are treated as expendable numbers; I would love to see the turnover rate of this place. I've known people who came from here with the same impression as me, cool tech, garbage management.

Pros

Pay and technology

Cons

Literally everything else

Horrible workplace culture

Management has no real world managerial experience. Very clique. They predetermine who gets advancement opportunities. Micromanaged. Lack of communication from management. No defined way to advance inside the company. All Waymo cares about is miles driven, not the welfare of the drivers. Technology over people.

Pros

Decent starting pay

Cons

Management, "taxi driver"

Very disappointed in how they treated their employees after going through the pain and the effort to show them I was worth being employed

Instead of being a form that something was wrong or something was not being done properly you were let go and blame for it with with other people's actions being the same yet you get all the blame

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Terrible life balance and the way they treat their employees

fun place to work.

fun place to work. fast paced. competitive. Great pay, great snacks. I look forward to working with the people I work with. The company is growing.

Easy work, decent pay, poor upper management

Your day-to-day tasks are typically easy, and you'll find that if you're familiar with the rules of the road, you'll rarely be intellectually engaged in your work. This means that if you're susceptible to boredom, you may struggle to stay awake during the day. All employees in this position are contractors. By default, your contract will only last for 1 year, with the possibility of extending to an additional year. However, the criteria for what qualifies an employee for this extension are not clear. There are two different staffing agencies, which while they both have the same pay and similar benefits, have slightly different policies between them. This can make it difficult for coworkers to be on the same page, and can make getting answers to employment-related questions difficult, as you may often find that Waymo managers will refer you to your staffing agency, and your staffing agency will refer you back to Waymo managers. Also, because you are a contractor, there are certain benefits you will never see, such as any form of paid time off. Scheduling is fairly flexible when you start your position. There are a lot of different shift options available. However, once you pick a shift, you may find that you're locked-in with this particular schedule for the remainder of your contract period. For some people, this can mean security in a comfortable work schedule, but for others this can be difficult if circumstances in your life require a long-term change in your schedule. You're given a lot of freedom in this role, which can be a great relief to those coming from previous -

Not ideal

Was brought on to do a very specific task, however they overstaffed the roll so now they are cutting back staffing by firing people randomly, and giving others tasks that have nothing to do with the original job.

Pros

Free Snacks

Cons

micromanaged

Stay away

Horrible culture to work in. Managers stare into a screen all day and still have no idea what is going on. Very clique as well. Technology is awful after the "millions" of miles driven. All they care about are the miles. Pay isn't worth the constant harassment from managers. Tip don't answer your work phone after your shift and block all of them from calling personal device.

Pros

Cons

Corrupt

Hello

Great company to work. They only have contract positions in Austin. Would love to work for them again.Great work flow and not a stressful environment. Loved my co workers and managers.

I did not like it

Too cut throat. Too many contractors trying to get everyone else fired so they can get a white badge. No room for advancement and after your contract is up you have to leave for 6 months before you can get back in.

Great people, awesome opportunity

I have learned a lot about the autonomous vehicle industry as a whole and intricacies I wouldn't have got to understand otherwise. Overall great experience, just as any temp position I wasn't employed with Waymo, so the only downside is the shot clock.

Pros

Snacks, People, Labor

Cons

Temporary, Lack of transparency

Fun place to work with great coworkers. Ping pong, "gym", foosball, in office razor scooters, kitchen stocked with free drinks and snacks

I was contracted with Waymo through one of their staffing agencies. That's the biggest drawback. If you are a contractor, all of your HR needs are handled by ther staffing agency, who you don't actually work with. The pay is good but, benefits from PTO to healthcare are lacking, accross the board. Lots of avtivities during breaks. Foos ball, ping pong, in office scooters, stocked kitchen, large employee lounge, "quiet" booths for work/meditation, mini basketball hoop.

Pros

Activities, snacks, drinks

Cons

Contracted position, terrible healthcare, on site management unable to handle HR issues

Common questions about Waymo

Answered by current and former employees at Waymo

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waymo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits